PDA

View Full Version : A verdict <that> should send a message to law enforcement everywhere.

phill4paul
10-16-2014, 07:57 AM
DENVER (AP) — A federal jury on Tuesday found five Denver sheriff's deputies used excessive force against a homeless street preacher who died in the city's downtown jail and awarded his family a record $4.65 million in damages, a verdict an attorney said should send a message to law enforcement everywhere.

Marvin Booker died in 2010 after deputies shocked him with a Taser while he was handcuffed, put him in a sleeper hold and lay on top of him, apparently in an effort to control him. His family's attorneys said that was a zealous overreaction to the 56-year-old, who was frail and suffered a heart condition. The city had argued the deputies' actions were in line with the department's policies for subduing a combative inmate.

"He didn't deserve what these five sheriffs did to him that night," his brother, Spencer Booker, said, fighting tears after the verdict. "The jury spoke very, very, very clearly that they used excessive force against my brother. Your actions call for consequences."

The three-week civil trial came amid calls for a federal investigation of the department over other high-profile abuse cases that prompted the sheriff's department to make sweeping reforms. Former Sheriff Gary Wilson resigned in July as the city agreed to pay $3.3 million to settle another federal jail-abuse lawsuit by a former inmate over a beating. It had been the largest payout in city history to settle a civil rights case.

The all-white, seven-member jury began deliberating Friday and delivered its verdict just before noon Tuesday.

"The community won't tolerate this anymore, and things have to change," Booker family attorney Darold Killmer said. "This verdict should reverberate around the country. This is a sign that people are not going to put up with it anymore."

City Attorney Scott Martinez said the city was disappointed, but thanked the jurors for their work. "The city remains committed to its ongoing efforts to improve the Denver Sheriff's Department," Martinez said in a statement.

And exactly what message will this verdict send to police?

Booker's family filed the federal lawsuit against the city and county of Denver as well as deputies Faun Gomez, James Grimes, Kyle Sharp and Kenneth Robinette and Sgt. Carrie Rodriguez. In a rare move on the eve of the trial, the city accepted liability for the actions of the deputies, meaning it is responsible for damages.

Prosecutors declined to charge the deputies. Sheriff's department officials never disciplined them, saying it was reasonable for the deputies to believe he could harm someone and that force was necessary to restrain him.

Four of the five deputies remain on the force.

That the government looks after it's own. That's what.

Edit: http://news.yahoo.com/jurors-deputies-used-excessive-force-death-174400230.html

Working Poor
10-16-2014, 08:09 AM
Honey do you have a link?

phill4paul
10-16-2014, 08:16 AM
Honey do you have a link?

Bah, just getting over a flu-bug and not all quite there. Added. :o

tod evans
10-16-2014, 08:31 AM
When the citizenry who have been saddled with these bills start dragging governments employees into the street searching for their pound of flesh I'll admit to a glimmer of hope.....

ClydeCoulter
10-16-2014, 08:42 AM
Who paid for this? Oh, the "citizens". What consequences for the perpetrators? What lessons learned? How do the people un-elect the deputies? Oh, they aren't elected. Will a new candidate for sheriff promise to fire the guilty and hire responsible citizens to the post?

So, what's the message being <sent>?

The Sheriff Dept. here has the same type of problems. One deputy found guilty of excessive force, and there are ongoing federal investigations on other cases.

Working Poor
10-16-2014, 08:59 AM
When the citizenry who have been saddled with these bills start dragging governments employees into the street searching for their pound of flesh I'll admit to a glimmer of hope.....

That's what I am talking about...

Spikender
10-16-2014, 09:42 AM
Spencer Booker... this verdict didn't tell us shit about consequences for the cops.

But there's definitely consequences of the financial persuasion for the willing taxpayers.

JK/SEA
10-16-2014, 10:42 AM
Bah, just getting over a flu-bug and not all quite there. Added. :o

flu bug?...you sure?...are you near Texas?

phill4paul
10-16-2014, 10:48 AM
flu bug?...you sure?...are you near Texas?

Lol. No. But I do know where I got it. The ole lady still buys crap from Wal-mart. So after one weekend of use I had to return two crap camp chairs to that den of infectious disease. I shoulda worn a bio-containment suit.