PDA

View Full Version : CopS: 'The guy's turning blue He might need help,' Nah, don't worry. He's faking it

aGameOfThrones
10-16-2014, 02:20 AM
was this posted?

Man Dies After Telling Police Who Chased Him 'I Can't Breathe,' Sources Say

By Trevor Kapp, Murray Weiss and Aidan Gardiner

RIDGEWOOD — An asthmatic man who police chased and handcuffed in Queens Wednesday afternoon told officers he couldn't breathe, before collapsing and dying, the NYPD and sources said.

Daniel Levitt, 46, who had a pacemaker, lost consciousness despite police removing his handcuffs and administering his asthma inhaler, relatives and sources said.

Levitt was taken to Wyckoff Heights hospital and pronounced dead, police said. The medical examiner's office will perform an autopsy to determine his exact cause of death Thursday, a spokeswoman said.

The father noticed bandages running from Levitt's neck to his torso and peeled them back to see Levitt's body covered in new bruises, the father said. It wasn't clear what caused them.

"I kept telling him, 'Danny, wake up, wake up!' But he didn't wake up. When I left, I just said, 'Danny, I love you. Now, you'll get to be with your mom,'" said the elder Levitt, who said his son's mother had died of cancer recently.

Levitt had been sitting on a motorized scooter near Grandview Avenue and Menihan Street, in Ridgewood, about 2 p.m., police said.

An NYPD officer driving a sergeant in an unmarked car recognized Levitt from an open warrant for stealing iPads and started chasing him with the sirens blaring, sources said.

"They had the siren on. It was such a loud noise. They were flying down the block. It looked like an airplane," said witness Kasia, 42, who declined to give her last name.

Levitt tried to make a getaway on his scooter but hit a white Hyundai SUV near Bleecker Street and took off on foot, according to the NYPD.

They finally caught up to him near Menihan Street and brought him to the ground, where they put him in handcuffs, police said.

"I can't breathe," Levitt said, adding that he had asthma, according to sources.

The officers stood him up and took an inhaler from his pocket and gave him one or two puffs, sources said.

Witnesses said the police were trying to bring Levitt to their car when he collapsed and started convulsing.

"The cop had the guy on the floor in handcuffs. The guy was trembling. His mouth was open and his eyes were rolling back," said witness Jean Pierre, 48, who lives in the area.

"I said, 'The guy's turning blue. He might need some help,' but the cop said, 'Nah, don't worry. He's faking it.' But he was gasping for air."

Pierre said the officer was squatting over Levitt and "rubbing his chest like he was putting on lotion" while the sergeant summoned backup.

"The cop looked kind of panicky and nervous. The cop was calling him by his name saying, 'Wake up,' like he knew him," Pierre said.

The police removed Levitt's handcuffs after he lost consciousness, according to the NYPD. He was then taken to the hospital and pronounced dead.

Daniel Levitt Sr. had spoken to his son on the phone about 20 minutes before his death, he said.

"He sounded so happy. His voice was so good," he said.

"He had a great heart. He'd give you the last dollar out of his pocket. I'm not saying he was perfect. I know he was maybe doing bad things, but he shouldn't be dead because of that," the elder Levitt said.

An NYPD spokesman did not know if either the arresting officer or sergeant faced any disciplinary actions as a result of Levitt's death.

The NYPD's internal affairs bureau is investigating the incident, police said. Police were also reviewing surveillance video taken from cameras around the scene, sources said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/09/daniel-levitt_n_5960736.html

Spikender
10-16-2014, 03:44 AM
A cop plays medical expert and someone pays the price with their life.

Suzanimal
10-16-2014, 06:52 AM
Pierre said the officer was squatting over Levitt and "rubbing his chest like he was putting on lotion" while the sergeant summoned backup.

WTF? :confused:

JK/SEA
10-16-2014, 10:45 AM
WTF? :confused:

if it feels good do it...

in this case, killing feels good to cops...

jkr
10-16-2014, 10:56 AM
hero

jllundqu
10-16-2014, 10:59 AM
Sorry but this guy had an open warrant for theft, fled from the police, hit another vehicle, had an asthma attack... should the cop have called for an ambulance? YES... did the asthmatic theiving idiot deserve to die? NO .... but you sure as hell can't blame the cops for this one.... imo The cop gave him his inhaler and tried to administer aid, as a so-called 'trained first responder'... this can't be laid at the cops feet.

JK/SEA
10-16-2014, 11:13 AM
Sorry but this guy had an open warrant for theft, fled from the police, hit another vehicle, had an asthma attack... should the cop have called for an ambulance? YES... did the asthmatic theiving idiot deserve to die? NO .... but you sure as hell can't blame the cops for this one.... imo The cop gave him his inhaler and tried to administer aid, as a so-called 'trained first responder'... this can't be laid at the cops feet.

yes...yes it can.

jllundqu
10-16-2014, 11:23 AM
yes...yes it can.

Levitt tried to make a getaway on his scooter but hit a white Hyundai SUV near Bleecker Street and took off on foot, according to the NYPD.

They finally caught up to him near Menihan Street and brought him to the ground, where they put him in handcuffs, police said.

"I can't breathe," Levitt said, adding that he had asthma, according to sources.

The officers stood him up and took an inhaler from his pocket and gave him one or two puffs, sources said.

Witnesses said the police were trying to bring Levitt to their car when he collapsed and started convulsing.

What should they have done, then, in your opinion? Let him go?

thoughtomator
10-16-2014, 11:25 AM
Whenever you have a situation where a cop shows up and a man dies as a direct result of that, explanations are required.

jllundqu
10-16-2014, 11:26 AM
Whenever you have a situation where a cop shows up and a man dies as a direct result of that, explanations are required.

100% correct. An explanation it required. Saying the cop killed the thief is BS, though, imo

JK/SEA
10-16-2014, 11:27 AM
What should they have done, then, in your opinion? Let him go?

the guy is dead....why?...he did it to himself?...wait...i've read that line somewhere else...brb...gotta figure out where i read that...

Inkblots
10-16-2014, 11:27 AM

My thoughts exactly. There are a lot of terrible stories of police abuses that get posted here. This... isn't one of them.

JK/SEA
10-16-2014, 11:29 AM
My thoughts exactly. There are a lot of terrible stories of police abuses that get posted here. This... isn't one of them.

he's dead....

move along...cops win again.

Inkblots
10-16-2014, 11:30 AM
the guy is dead....why?...he did it to himself?...wait...i've read that line somewhere else...brb...gotta figure out where i read that...

He was asthmatic, had a bad heart, and needed a mobility scooter to move around. He knew all that, and made a free choice to try to flee on foot. Yes, this man quite literally did that to himself.

jllundqu
10-16-2014, 11:31 AM

Really? You're trying to stick me with the "did this to himself" meme.... :rolleyes:

JK/SEA
10-16-2014, 11:36 AM
Really? You're trying to stick me with the "did this to himself" meme.... :rolleyes:

yep...

cops have a bad rep these days. I'm not cutting these assholes any breaks anymore, but you go right ahead.

presence
10-16-2014, 11:38 AM
imo The cop gave him his inhaler and tried to administer aid, as a so-called 'trained first responder'... this can't be laid at the cops feet.

imo a state enforcer that has physical custody over someone has a duty to keep them alive. They should be trained in CPR and legally obliged to perform.

aGameOfThrones
10-16-2014, 12:08 PM
imo a state enforcer that has physical custody over someone has a duty to keep them alive. They should be trained in CPR and legally obliged to perform.

hey, hey, just like with correctional officers,

"There's got to be a way for us to hold ourselves accountable absent putting cops in jail for making mistakes," he said.

aGameOfThrones
10-16-2014, 12:19 PM
He was asthmatic, had a bad heart, and needed a mobility scooter to move around. He knew all that, and made a free choice to try to flee on foot. Yes, this man quite literally did that to himself.

you either run and die or you stay and get choked to death.

yeah but the cop,

An NYPD officer driving a sergeant in an unmarked car recognized Levitt from an open warrant for stealing iPads and started chasing him with the sirens blaring, sources said.

so we can say they perhaps knew of his physical condition?

and what about this?

The father noticed bandages running from Levitt's neck to his torso and peeled them back to see Levitt's body covered in new bruises, the father said. It wasn't clear what caused them.