PDA

View Full Version : Is she too fat to be a Health Minister? At least she has qualifications...

amy31416
10-15-2014, 02:27 PM
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/fat-health-minister-critics-attack-4435156

I know this seems a bit mean, but wow--this woman is charged with aiding the obesity "epidemic" in Belgium.

http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article4435293.ece/alternates/s615/Maggie-De-Block.jpg

GunnyFreedom
10-15-2014, 02:43 PM
If she is that size for health reasons other than her own habits then no, she is not too fat to be a health minister. If she is that size because she can't stop stuffing her own face then yes, she is too fat to be a health minister.

ZENemy
10-15-2014, 02:45 PM
If she is that size for health reasons other than her own habits then no, she is not too fat to be a health minister. If she is that size because she can't stop stuffing her own face then yes, she is too fat to be a health minister.

She would only ADMIT to the first one in either case.

I am a personal trainer (or, I was for 10 years) and 99.9% of all the "I have a thyroid issue" "its my genetics" excuses are pure bullshit.

GunnyFreedom
10-15-2014, 03:00 PM
She would only ADMIT to the first one in either case.

I am a personal trainer (or, I was for 10 years) and 99.9% of all the "I have a thyroid issue" "its my genetics" excuses are pure bullshit.

I am confident that you are correct. However, in that 0.1% case (probably even smaller than that) where it is some legitimate physical problem that has caused her weight gain, in that 0.1% case then no, she is not too fat for the job. Otherwise, yes. Yes she is.

HOLLYWOOD
10-15-2014, 04:50 PM
US has their own and Obama calls them "FAT CATS"

http://notesfromasouthernkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/esq-barbara-mikulski-image-101810-lg.jpg

"Mikulski... Yeah, you pay for her 'HOT POCKETS' healthcare & the funeral home's future piano crate"

thoughtomator
10-15-2014, 04:55 PM
I am confident that you are correct. However, in that 0.1% case (probably even smaller than that) where it is some legitimate physical problem that has caused her weight gain, in that 0.1% case then no, she is not too fat for the job. Otherwise, yes. Yes she is.

Realizing that you are arguing a 0.1% case then, surely you would agree that the chance is 999 out of 1000 that she is a fattie due to her own behavior, and thus that with such overwhelming odds a person could be reasonably excused for assuming that is the case here?

amy31416
10-15-2014, 05:19 PM
She may be a wonderful person, but she is just startlingly overweight. I don't know why she is, and am hesitant to judge, but damn--Republicans criticize Michelle Obama because she has a big ass (and that is likely genetics.)

green73
10-15-2014, 05:24 PM
Christ, she looks like an American.

amy31416
10-15-2014, 05:32 PM
Christ, she looks like an American.

I thought she was at first, I was surprised to find she was European.

ghengis86
10-15-2014, 05:35 PM

I'm going to disagree here on the "legitate" cause of weight gain. It's simple math; more calories in than burned = weight gain. Less calories in than burned = weight loss. You can't tell me 1lb of Belgium Chocolate magically turns into 5lbs of fat. The math doesn't work like that, and while delicious, the chocolate in Brussels isn't the best.

Anyhow, back on topic; yes, regardless of reason, fat-asses shouldn't be telling you how to be healthy as the lose all credibility (real, perceived or otherwise).

presence
10-15-2014, 05:42 PM
http://cdn.internethaber.com/gallery/36446/2.jpg

http://static3.hln.be/static/photo/2013/8/7/14/20130125042224/media_xll_5501819.jpg

http://media.vrtnieuws.net/2013/11/223405078ONL1311211234023_urlThumbnailDir_tmb/0004.jpg

http://r.llb.be/image/60/525e4eb43570225c19f03e60.jpg

thoughtomator
10-15-2014, 06:20 PM
jazzercise is now jabbercise....

Mani
10-15-2014, 08:44 PM
I remember going to a gym and seeing a personal trainer with a beer gut two or three times the size of mine. I just recall thinking.....and I'm supposed to follow your advice?

I left that gym after 2 months.

GunnyFreedom
10-16-2014, 01:14 AM
Realizing that you are arguing a 0.1% case then, surely you would agree that the chance is 999 out of 1000 that she is a fattie due to her own behavior, and thus that with such overwhelming odds a person could be reasonably excused for assuming that is the case here?

Honestly, I don't know what the odds are, and even if they were 1 in 10,000 over the vast population of the nation that still leaves a pretty big number of people who are obese for actual physical health reasons. I prefer not to judge in the absence of knowledge. I would hope that people particularly in this movement would share that philosophy.

GunnyFreedom
10-16-2014, 01:29 AM
I'm going to disagree here on the "legitate" cause of weight gain.

I am not sure who made the typo "legitate" but it wasn't in the post you were replying to.

It's simple math; more calories in than burned = weight gain. Less calories in than burned = weight loss. You can't tell me 1lb of Belgium Chocolate magically turns into 5lbs of fat. The math doesn't work like that, and while delicious, the chocolate in Brussels isn't the best.

Even if it's far more rare than society would have us to believe, there are in fact physical and metabolic ailments that make it basically impossible to lose weight. Some bodies (although again, extraordinarily rare) will rather consume muscle tissue and eventually die of malnutrition before consuming lipid reserves. In that rare case, eating fewer calories than maintenance may lead to weight loss but not fat loss, and eating more calories than maintenance will lead to weight and fat gain. Thus creating a "ratchet" effect leading to something like what we see in these photos.

Anyhow, back on topic; yes, regardless of reason, fat-asses shouldn't be telling you how to be healthy as the lose all credibility (real, perceived or otherwise).

I do agree that it's a bad idea to appoint her as a health minister even if it is caused by some legitimate physical health problem, because of the perception issue. Nobody is going to pay attention to her advice on diets even if her obesity is caused by a physical problem. However, that doesn't prevent her from being qualified, which is the question I answered. If her obesity is caused by a physical ailment then she is qualified. If her obesity is caused by stuffing her face then she is not qualified.

However, qualification is a different subject than whether it is a good or a bad idea. Whether she is qualified or not, it is obviously a bad idea either way.

Occam's Banana
10-16-2014, 03:44 AM
Given that there shouldn't be such things as Health Ministers in the first place, everyone is too fat to be a Health Minister ...

Spikender
10-16-2014, 04:05 AM
She looks like a hitwoman in some of those pictures.

She has that death stare.

mad cow
10-16-2014, 04:05 AM
Belgian Waffles are a helluva drug.

GunnyFreedom
10-16-2014, 05:09 AM
Given that there shouldn't be such things as Health Ministers in the first place, everyone is too fat to be a Health Minister ...

LOL well, yeah

Suzanimal
10-16-2014, 05:30 AM

This.

Honestly, I don't know what the odds are, and even if they were 1 in 10,000 over the vast population of the nation that still leaves a pretty big number of people who are obese for actual physical health reasons. I prefer not to judge in the absence of knowledge. I would hope that people particularly in this movement would share that philosophy.

And also this.

I think if someone's that big there's clearly something wrong with them. Whether it's mental or physical, I have no idea but people that large definitely have some sort of a problem.

Philhelm
10-16-2014, 07:04 AM
Jabba no wanga.