PDA

View Full Version : Libertarian candidate in tight Iowa Senate race killed in plane crash

RonPaulFanInGA
10-14-2014, 11:44 AM
http://www.kcci.com/news/pilot-dies-in-small-plane-crash-in-iowa/29114668

The wife of Doug Butzier confirmed Tuesday morning to KCRG-TV that it was Butzier who was killed in a plane crash Monday.

Butzier is running for U.S. Senate as the Libertarian candidate against Republican Joni Ernst and Democrat Bruce Braley.

The crash was reported Monday night near Dubuque Regional Airport.

JK/SEA
10-14-2014, 11:50 AM
one down.

Brett85
10-14-2014, 11:56 AM
That's really strange.

Brett85
10-14-2014, 11:57 AM
He'll probably still be on the ballot since the ballots have already been printed, right?

jllundqu
10-14-2014, 11:58 AM
In B4 conspiracy that he was killed for attempting to spoil the GOP race

green73
10-14-2014, 01:10 PM
I say he was killed for attempting to spoil the GOP race.

Matt Collins
10-14-2014, 01:12 PM
Sorry to hear this sad news. I feel for his family.

From an electoral perspective...

This will increase his name ID, and he will also get a lot of sympathy votes as a result.

acptulsa
10-14-2014, 01:17 PM
This will increase his name ID, and he will also get a lot of sympathy votes as a result.

Oh, well.

If this is the best epitaph you can come up with for a man, be advised--I'll leave strict orders to have you shot if you attempt to mount the pulpit at my funeral.

Of course, there are certain advantages to staffing the Congress with the dead. Can't smell any worse. And it leaves less seats open for the undead like McCain...

HOLLYWOOD
10-14-2014, 01:33 PM
Establishment Fascists: 1

People: 0

acptulsa
10-14-2014, 01:36 PM
Didn't someone start a list of anti-establishment people killed in odd plane crashes? Starting with the wife of E. Howard Hunt and including Jon-Jon Kennedy?

jllundqu
10-14-2014, 01:51 PM
They tried that shit with Nigel Farage (UKIP)...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/8173447/Nigel-Farage-plane-crash-pilot-charged-with-threatening-to-kill-Ukip-leader.html

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01631/farage-460_1631031c.jpg

Nigel Farage plane crash pilot charged with threatening to kill Ukip leader

Spikender
10-14-2014, 02:37 PM

Ever the emotional one, aren't we, Collins?

Matt Collins
10-14-2014, 02:55 PM
Sorry, I was replying to Green73's comment just above mine.

acptulsa
10-14-2014, 03:13 PM
Sorry, I was replying to Green73's comment just above mine.

No, Matt.

Talking about how a candidate's death will help him poll better can only make people wonder how cold-blooded you are, make them wonder if you're stupid enough to think dead candidates actually get sworn in to office, or both.

You can't get your foot out of your mouth on this one...

Matt Collins
10-14-2014, 03:19 PM
No, Matt.

Talking about how a candidate's death will help him poll better can only make people wonder how cold-blooded you are, make them wonder if you're stupid enough to think dead candidates actually get sworn in to office, or both.

No, not at all.... that wasn't my point.

People above were alluding to conspiracy theories about his death. My point is that this candidate's unfortunate death will probably help him in the polls in my opinion. That therefore negates conspiracy theories. THAT was my point.

Nice try at trying to attack me though.... #fail.

RonPaulMall
10-14-2014, 03:24 PM
No, Matt.

He is correct though. The biggest problem with the LP candidate from the GOP perspective is that he is on the ballot at all. Too late to take the name off, so there would be no "conspiracy" incentive to have him killed. His death changes nothing politically and even makes things slightly worse since his name will be in the news for a couple days and he'll end up with far greater name recognition than he otherwise would have.

acptulsa
10-14-2014, 03:29 PM

People above were alluding to conspiracy theories about his death. My point is that this candidate's unfortunate death will probably help him in the polls in my opinion. That therefore negates conspiracy theories. THAT was my point.

He is correct though. The biggest problem with the LP candidate from the GOP perspective is that he is on the ballot at all. Too late to take the name off, so there would be no "conspiracy" incentive to have him killed. His death changes nothing politically and even makes things slightly worse since his name will be in the news for a couple days and he'll end up with far greater name recognition than he otherwise would have.

People voting for a dead man = people voting for someone capable of taking the oath of office. And if voters who vote for someone who has been dead two or three weeks are lampooned in the media, no one will laugh at them.

Got it.

green73
10-14-2014, 03:30 PM
Dead people get more votes?

asurfaholic
10-14-2014, 03:34 PM
I can understand dead people voting but I don't understand people voting for the dead.

acptulsa
10-14-2014, 03:35 PM

I can understand dead people voting but I don't understand people voting for the dead.

People love to vote for those with whom they have something in common...

jbauer
10-14-2014, 03:36 PM
Oh come on. From a pure statistical standpoint Matt is right. Whether bring it up now is to soon is another debate.

No, Matt.

Matt Collins
10-14-2014, 03:38 PM
Fred Thompson got a lot of votes in TN even though he had dropped out by the time the primaries came around in TN in 2008.

acptulsa
10-14-2014, 03:42 PM
Oh come on. From a pure statistical standpoint Matt is right. Whether bring it up now is to soon is another debate.

So?

They don't care who wins as long as the third party 'won't play ball' candidate loses. And discouraging that sort of behavior is its own reward.

Besides, this is all a distraction. The real question is, what (if anything) was he about to divulge..?

jmdrake
10-14-2014, 03:42 PM

Ummmmm....huh? How? If the conspiracy is to keep the person out of office, and that person is now dead, how did the conspiracy fail?

acptulsa
10-14-2014, 03:47 PM
Ummmmm....huh? How? If the conspiracy is to keep the person out of office, and that person is now dead, how did the conspiracy fail?

LOL you are so not with the program.

The Libertarian could never win, so obviously he only ever entered the race to steal votes from the Demopublican so the Republicrat could win, see. Or vice versa, I can never tell them apart without a program.

What he was about to reveal couldn't possibly enter into it. And he couldn't possibly not care if the Red Establishmentarian or the Blue Establishmentarian won, either, because we've all been irrevocably brainwashed to care about that.

Are we with the program now? No?

Good.

jmdrake
10-14-2014, 03:54 PM
//

specsaregood
10-14-2014, 03:55 PM

Although it did kinda work out that way for Mel Carnahan or Jean Carnahan.

jmdrake
10-14-2014, 04:10 PM
LOL you are so not with the program.

The Libertarian could never win, so obviously he only ever entered the race to steal votes from the Demopublican so the Republicrat could win, see. Or vice versa, I can never tell them apart without a program.

What he was about to reveal couldn't possibly enter into it. And he couldn't possibly not care if the Red Establishmentarian or the Blue Establishmentarian won, either, because we've all been irrevocably brainwashed to care about that.

Are we with the program now? No?

Good.

Okay. He wasn't in danger of winning, just "spoiling". Nevermind.

invisible
10-14-2014, 04:10 PM
The real question is, what (if anything) was he about to divulge..?

Maybe it had something to do with that thread about terry braindead (IA's Governor) that turned into several pages of nonsense ranting.

RonPaulFanInGA
10-14-2014, 05:16 PM

Mel Carnahan.

undergroundrr
10-14-2014, 05:23 PM
I found it interesting that the first article I read about this quickly pointed out that he was only getting about 2% of the votes, just to make sure we didn't think he was a factor in the election.

green73
10-14-2014, 05:28 PM
Mel Carnahan.

Really? He got more votes being dead than if he were alive?

specsaregood
10-14-2014, 06:26 PM
Really? He got more votes being dead than if he were alive?

Its quite possible. The race was close before his death. The incumbent Ashcroft (GOP) lost the election in a state where Bush (GOP) won in the same Election cycle. Probably didnt' hurt that Ashcroft stopped campaigning after Carnahan's death.

green73
10-14-2014, 06:30 PM
Its quite possible. The race was close before his death. The incumbent Ashcroft (GOP) lost the election in a state where Bush (GOP) won in the same Election cycle. Probably didnt' hurt that Ashcroft stopped campaigning after Carnahan's death.

Even if that one case is true, and I'm skeptical, it's totally different for a 3rd party candidate who had no chance of winning. Wouldn't you agree?

specsaregood
10-14-2014, 06:34 PM
Even if that one case is true, and I'm skeptical, it's totally different for a 3rd party candidate who had no chance of winning. Wouldn't you agree?

Do I think its not possible that the 3rd party candidate might get more votes as a result of his death? No, I think its entirely possible. But I'm not so callous as to think its really something to debate in detail so close to such a candidates' death.

parocks
10-14-2014, 07:48 PM

The conspiracy, in this case, would NOT be to keep the person out of office.

jon4liberty
10-14-2014, 09:30 PM
This stinks of the Brandstad regime and their trickery and corruption in full action. I found it odd this happened days after the most recent poll had a really tight race 47-46 Ernst. People ask who I think will win IA in all the races....I tell them expect a Republican landslide that's how terry does it baby

green73
10-14-2014, 10:11 PM
Do I think its not possible that the 3rd party candidate might get more votes as a result of his death? No, I think its entirely possible. But I'm not so callous as to think its really something to debate in detail so close to such a candidates' death.

Since when is callousness frowned upon here? Haven't we become callous to the mountain of skulls being built by the US government? I think we have. I'm most certainly sure we have. Drone bomb kills 22 civilians. Drone kills wedding party. Drone kills family. It's regular news. But post a thread on it here and you'll be lucky to get one response. Nobody cares. So I'm sorry if I don't really care about some wannabe politician dying in an accident.

invisible
10-14-2014, 10:12 PM
This stinks of the Brandstad regime and their trickery and corruption in full action. I found it odd this happened days after the most recent poll had a really tight race 47-46 Ernst. People ask who I think will win IA in all the races....I tell them expect a Republican landslide that's how terry does it baby

Thread winner.