PDA

View Full Version : Rand: Republicans have no chance without a “sizeable” black vote

Matt Collins
10-13-2014, 11:39 AM
http://rare.us/story/rand-paul-republicans-have-no-chance-without-a-sizeable-black-vote/

TaftFan
10-13-2014, 02:57 PM
Laughable statement, but it is important he is outreaching.

philipped
10-13-2014, 04:59 PM
He's totally right tho.

thoughtomator
10-13-2014, 05:12 PM
He's completely right, and it's the best way to break the abortion-uber-alles coalition the Dems have put together.

CaptUSA
10-13-2014, 05:59 PM
Actually, they can win if a "sizeable" percentage just decide it's not worth their effort to vote at all.

The DNC media has been really good at scaring people into thinking the GOP are monsters. (Then, of course, we get a whole different set of monsters) All Rand has to do is to shatter that image a little. He doesn't need them to vote for him, he just needs them not to vote against him.

Natural Citizen
10-13-2014, 06:03 PM
Actually, they can win if a "sizeable" percentage just decide it's not worth their effort to vote at all.

I don't think this is going to be the case. I think we'll see record or near record turnout. Especially among leftish leaning libertarian types. I don't think that the GOP is even prepared. Probably have no ideas of the demograph they lose by focusing themselves on demographics that occupy the mindset of the old guard thinkers.

But it's not too late. Will have to simply observe. Really, there is no stopping it, though.

Crashland
10-13-2014, 06:07 PM
He is absolutely right. Maybe not for *this* election, but it has gotten to the point where it can't be ignored anymore. Every single election for the rest of our lives will have a smaller percentage Caucasian vote than the previous election. The problem will only keep getting worse, and the GOP has done literally nothing to reach out. People somehow seem to think that because Republicans have people like Ben Carson or Tim Scott, that the GOP can totally appeal to African Americans right now but they just aren't listening. Couldn't be more wrong

Brett85
10-13-2014, 06:20 PM
He's absolutely right. Georgia is turning blue because the black population continues to increase, and 90% of them vote Democratic. The Republicans have to win over about 70% of white voters in order to win elections in Georgia.

Tywysog Cymru
10-13-2014, 06:46 PM
At least Hillary will probably not get the same support Obama did from African-Americans. But then again Hillary will get more support from white people than Obama did.

Brett85
10-13-2014, 06:49 PM
At least Hillary will probably not get the same support Obama did from African-Americans. But then again Hillary will get more support from white people than Obama did.

And she will get more support from women. A lot of women will vote for her simply because they want to elect the first woman President, and also because they buy into the nonsense that the Republicans want to "ban birth control."

TaftFan
10-13-2014, 07:31 PM
He's absolutely right. Georgia is turning blue because the black population continues to increase, and 90% of them vote Democratic. The Republicans have to win over about 70% of white voters in order to win elections in Georgia.

The real problem in Georgia is the increase in the Hispanic vote and northern transplants looking for opportunity in metro Atlanta.

Brett85
10-13-2014, 08:32 PM
The real problem in Georgia is the increase in the Hispanic vote and northern transplants looking for opportunity in metro Atlanta.

I was just looking at this Survey USA poll which shows blacks making up 30% of all voters and voting Democrat by a 82-15% margin. White voters vote Republican 63-27%, yet Perdue is only up by 1% overall.

http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReport.aspx?g=b9d1f6ed-3a47-4959-bfc5-b12f993c67a8

philipped
10-14-2014, 08:31 AM
As a fellow African-American male I'll say this much, if Rand Paul as a Presidential candidate wants to get rid of my nonviolent drug charge and my friend I have who ended up CONVICTED for a non-violent drug charge and restore his ability to support Rand and these "new conservative" ideas...After a couple conversations with the unfortunately large amount of people that I know this is applicable to, I'm sure a sizable vote of EVERYONE and not just black people will be up for play.

As a younger black male, I can look past my race with ease...but in the African-American community specifically there is something that irks us. It's when an outsider PANDERS and tries to tell us what we need to do to fix and enhance our inner workings without an understanding of the obstacles GOVERNMENT AND OUR MENTALITY put in the way. And this is what I've seen first hand, experienced with other black men and women and have been told by other black people they've experienced. In all honesty, I myself don't see what Rand is doing with African-Americans as pandering. I see it as he's attempting to rebuild and modernize the Republican Party and make the national platform criminal justice reform for ALL Americans as the first step to ending the war on drugs.

With time, patience, the right message and key endorsements in the black community hopefully Rand could do that whole "don't have to vote for me, just don't vote against me" thing. Though one of the cool things about Rand's confidence is he's going a step past that and literally inviting me & others of my complexion into the party. And I appreciate that, Romney didn't do it. McCain didn't do it. I will be sure to tell my brothers and sisters that Republicans that hold fold under the libertarian wing support and advocate for these policies across the board. I wonder who's really ready for other black people pushing for and supporting some if not all of Rand's positions by the time 2016 comes.......

Ronin Truth
10-14-2014, 08:47 AM
Hmmmmm? Do Democrats have no chance without a “sizeable” black vote? A minority of a minority swings the election?

Is this a great system or what? :p :rolleyes:

philipped
10-14-2014, 09:26 AM
Hmmmmm? Do Democrats have no chance without a “sizeable” black vote?

No but any Democratic 2016 candidate that doesn't a good amount of black support won't stand a chance against Rand...but they will fair well against anyone else the GOP has to offer.

jmdrake
10-14-2014, 11:16 AM
I was just looking at this Survey USA poll which shows blacks making up 30% of all voters and voting Democrat by a 82-15% margin. White voters vote Republican 63-27%, yet Perdue is only up by 1% overall.

http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReport.aspx?g=b9d1f6ed-3a47-4959-bfc5-b12f993c67a8

Yes. But there have always been a lot of black people in south. That's why Jesse Jackson actually got a bump on "Super Tuesday" many years ago. But what's the evidence that the black population anywhere is increasing? All stats I've seen is that it has stagnated and/or is decreasing.

Brett85
10-14-2014, 11:19 AM
Yes. But there have always been a lot of black people in south. That's why Jesse Jackson actually got a bump on "Super Tuesday" many years ago. But what's the evidence that the black population anywhere is increasing? All stats I've seen is that it has stagnated and/or is decreasing.

Well, Georgia has always been a lot more solidly Republican than it is now. And it doesn't seem like Republicans are doing worse with white voters, since they're still getting 63% of the white vote. But I haven't really researched whether the black population is increasing in Georgia, so I don't really know for sure.

philipped
11-28-2014, 11:54 AM
I really hope whoever from any state in this nation, if you're in your Republican Party leadership and reading this, as a Black Registered Republican, who only became one because of the Paul family and their associates, please look at things respectively and objectively because Rand's position on this matter is not just applicable to national elections. To obtain a true BIG TENT PARTY base, State, County and City level parties should work to not even just work toward more black people but work to create a GOP that resembles more of America.

Please also take note I haven't said change a single position, I am sensible enough to understand the individual liberty of the unborn is a fair argument to make. The concept of having government force you as a priest participate in practices against their religions is wrong as well. But the time has come to say stop saying no to allowing two consenting adults to do what they choose to do if it doesn't affect how you live your life in your own home. Ditch the racism, bigotry and homophobia and the stamp of "The Anti-Obama Party" and "The Part of No". Let the nation live and let live and focusing on the individual will be the things that will draw a REAL DIFFERENCE between Republicans and Democrats if the GOP wants to WIN like they've always been about.

Let this be a highlight point to make in Candidate Recruitment looking toward 2016 and on to retain a true and freedom based Republican Party.

ifthenwouldi
11-28-2014, 01:09 PM
A lot of women will vote for her simply because they want to elect the first woman President

Yep. Largest voting bloc in the country, and they already sway significantly Democratic. Be honest - if you are a fairly apolitical female and you have the chance to vote for the first female president, aren't you gonna do that?

The female vote is more than enough to win the election for Clinton.

libertarianinternational
11-28-2014, 01:49 PM
Rand Paul can definitely get 20% of the black vote.

cindy25
12-07-2014, 05:09 AM
blacks are the only real solid voting block. Rand could get 20% and its a start. but what state would it give him? and more importantly, it is of zero use in the primaries.

Carlybee
12-07-2014, 01:20 PM
I think they could get Latino votes too. There are a lot of them who hold conservative views and who aren't necessarily for amnesty. Mostly 3rd,4th,5th generation from immigrants. They tend to be very family oriented.