PDA

View Full Version : Rand's Public Relations

jon4liberty
10-12-2014, 04:23 PM
Why does he come off as not a personable person and unfriendly. All interactions he seems tense, uptight, and nose up high. I remember watching the campaign trails Rand always showed no emotion and never got up to stand and cheer while everyone else is roaring

randomname
10-12-2014, 04:31 PM
He still comes across quite a bit better than he used to though

TaftFan
10-12-2014, 04:51 PM
That's his personality. He also has dry humor.

robertwerden
10-12-2014, 05:29 PM
He will be groomed, trust me.

jon4liberty
10-12-2014, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. That always had me puzzled but if that's just his personality nothing you can do about it.

specsaregood
10-12-2014, 05:44 PM
Personally, I don't know wtf you are taking about. I find he comes off quite personable even if serious. This is the guy that talks about getting the mojo back you and are saying he isn't personable? The only people I've heard say that were left wing media slanderers.

Crashland
10-12-2014, 05:51 PM
He will be groomed, trust me.

Well, now's the time.

Not sure that I agree with the OP though. Are there any recent videos you can provide where you think Rand came across negatively?

Krugminator2
10-12-2014, 05:54 PM
I always see that criticism. It's weird because I don't think he comes across as emotionless or uptight. If anything, I've always felt he seemed too relaxed. But a lot articles include that criticism so maybe I'm missing something.

I suspect part of it is that he very policy driven. His speeches aren't just Obama is a meanie and platitudes about the Constitution.

Natural Citizen
10-12-2014, 05:58 PM
I like junior's way. He carries himself in a way that is consistent with an educator or similar speaker. In a matter of fact kind of way.

specsaregood
10-12-2014, 06:14 PM
I always see that criticism. It's weird because I don't think he comes across as emotionless or uptight. If anything, I've always felt he seemed too relaxed. But a lot articles include that criticism so maybe I'm missing something.

I think its just the meme they are trying to push across so people that never actually hear, meet or listen to him have that impression of him/are prejudiced against him.

Its the same folk that said his dad was grouchy and mean....yeah I read that on more than one occasion.

Brett85
10-12-2014, 06:37 PM
That's just his personality. He can't change who he is. But I think he comes across well, personally.

anaconda
10-12-2014, 07:08 PM
He usually laughs through every interview with every question posed. The opposite of stoic. Albeit it is almost always part of a sarcastic or incredulous reaction, followed by his stated opinion.

I have noticed that sometimes when he gets a tough question from a group he's speaking to, after answering the question he will get steely-eyed, contort his mouth, and look askance at the floor with an awkward pause and silence. I looked for an example on youtube but couldn't readily find one.

Feeding the Abscess
10-12-2014, 07:30 PM
The way he reads speeches off teleprompters is really bad. His speech patterns are much better when he's speaking contemporaneously.

anaconda
10-12-2014, 07:51 PM
Personally, I don't know wtf you are taking about. I find he comes off quite personable even if serious. This is the guy that talks about getting the mojo back you and are saying he isn't personable? The only people I've heard say that were left wing media slanderers.

Agreed. Rand is magnitudes hipper than any Senator. You don't talk about the Republican being like "pizza with bad crust" without a sense of humor. Or jihadist "wonderlands" or taking out Jane Fonda with a missile.

RonPaulGeorge&Ringo
10-12-2014, 09:25 PM
He laughs at so many of their questions because they are stupid and/or troll questions. This drives the reporters nuts so they write mean things about him.

scottditzen
10-13-2014, 12:46 PM
I don't think Rand is the type of guy to walk into a room and have people gushing all over him. Rand seems too normal for that...too down to earth. Many, in support of Rand, have commented that his persona is normal for many surgeons, that they are very matter-of-fact, ie not Patch Adams.

However it's as if a majority of people want a celebrity in office; someone who is very personable and so fake-nice, that even as they know he/she is being fake-nice, they still love them for it.

People who didn't like Bill Clinton would often say they that upon meeting him in person, they came away impressed with his seeming ability to relate to them. Believe me, in order to leave this impression in a matter of seconds is not the norm. And one could bring up the definition of psychopath ie two of the hallmarks of psychopathy are a calculating mind and a seemingly easy charm. You know watching a movie that this person is usually the killer.

Over the weekend I saw a documentary about former NYC Mayor Ed Koch. Now love him or hate him, this guy seemed larger than life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-rgezvFzhA

Rand Paul doesn't have to be Ed Koch, or Reagan or Clinton, thank God. He just has to be himself. Keep up the positive demeanor. Be ready for any question. Be as honest as you can be**. And keep a good up rapport with the media.

jon4liberty
10-13-2014, 01:07 PM
First off spec for good I NEVER said anything about his father. You sir need to stop putting words in people's mouth and learn to relax and be less defensive. What is this movement about if we can't ask legitimate questions? I am not from left wing bud so I suggest you not rush to conclusion's. Do we not all want maximum freedom, prosperity, and peace? you had better check yourself

jon4liberty
10-13-2014, 01:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlnlS409CLY he did have a smile in the first min but maybe I am being too hyper sensitive but I am really good at receiving body language.

CaptUSA
10-13-2014, 01:28 PM
First off spec for good I NEVER said anything about his father. You sir need to stop putting words in people's mouth and learn to relax and be less defensive. What is this movement about if we can't ask legitimate questions? I am not from left wing bud so I suggest you not rush to conclusion's. Do we not all want maximum freedom, prosperity, and peace? you had better check yourself

Interesting. A four-month poster telling a RPFer with nearly 30,000 posts and a full rep bar to "check himself"?

I didn't see where Spec rushed to any conclusions or got defensive at all, but I do recognize it in your response.

jon4liberty
10-13-2014, 01:32 PM
I asked politely and I get a response like this Capt? Then trying to associate me with left wing media slanderers

jon4liberty
10-13-2014, 01:32 PM
I think its just the meme they are trying to push across so people that never actually hear, meet or listen to him have that impression of him/are prejudiced against him.

Its the same folk that said his dad was grouchy and mean....yeah I read that on more than one occasion.
Just because I asked a question I am lumped into all that as well Capt?

jon4liberty
10-13-2014, 01:35 PM
I have been apart of the Liberty a long time friends and how you are welcoming a new RPF member you should be ashamed. We are trying to grow the movement. Why can one not ask a question? I am in favor of a Rand presidency and you two get all defensive. Randomname, Taftfan, robertwerden, traditional conservative all had respectful courteous responses......

specsaregood
10-13-2014, 01:37 PM

No need to get upset, I wasn't referring to you personally but rather media slanderers pushing this meme. I and others here disagree with that characterization of Randals personality.

Please cite some appearances where "All interactions he seems tense, uptight, and nose up high." TIA Because I can cite just as many if not more where he is loose and jovial.

jon4liberty
10-13-2014, 01:39 PM
Well I apologize sir for getting testy and defensive.

CaptUSA
10-13-2014, 01:41 PM
I have been apart of the Liberty a long time friends and how you are welcoming a new RPF member you should be ashamed. We are trying to grow the movement. Why can one not ask a question? I am in favor of a Rand presidency and you two get all defensive. Randomname, Taftfan, robertwerden, traditional conservative all had respectful courteous responses......

Re-read this thread objectively. You will see who over-reacted. Welcome to RPF. You can ask any question you want, but be careful not to let disagreement become personal.

specsaregood
10-13-2014, 01:48 PM
Well I apologize sir for getting testy and defensive.

No worries. I'd just like to see some examples of what you are talking about. That way we can see if we truly disagree or if is just a perception problem. There should be plenty of youtubes available if its a real problem. Are you talking about speeches? one-one personal appearances or maybe just hostile interviews?

jon4liberty
10-13-2014, 02:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlnlS409CLY (http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_14132303349466&key=6375bb7255d0a8966f3450241859c97d&libId=5aa7c703-0ffe-4508-b5a2-2ee6a48a8316&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ronpaulforums.com%2Fshowthrea d.php%3F461278-Rand-s-Public-Relations&v=1&out=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dzln lS409CLY&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ronpaulforums.com%2Fshowthrea d.php%3F461278-Rand-s-Public-Relations&title=Rand's%20Public%20Relations&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dzln lS409CLY) I also met him here in Iowa and several friends did as well. Not mean by any means just not the most friendly person ever, I think I am just being a little picky I think Krugminator might have it right when he says too relaxed. Sometimes his enthusiasm in interviews sometime just doesn't have that spark.

specsaregood
10-13-2014, 02:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlnlS409CLY

Your example is just one of him standing in the background while other people speak?

Natural Citizen
10-13-2014, 02:08 PM
I like when he says "Well, you noooooo....". He sounds like papa Paul there. Heh...

jon4liberty
10-13-2014, 02:21 PM
I wont lie im at work and cant be scanning youtube for too long. but I guess you and spec shall just agree to disagree. his personality is a little dry and there is nothing wrong with that.

CaseyJones
10-13-2014, 02:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdz5kCaCRFM

anaconda
10-13-2014, 07:32 PM
He laughs at so many of their questions because they are stupid and/or troll questions. This drives the reporters nuts so they write mean things about him.

Not always. He will laugh at Hannity's questions, too, that are often softballs and posed with the same incredulous perspective. In these cases he "laughs along with" the "reporter."

anaconda
10-13-2014, 07:39 PM

Welcome aboard, jon4liberty. What took you so long? :)

Smitty
10-13-2014, 08:14 PM
I met Rand at a book signing a few years ago. I didn't speak with him other than a word or two when he signed my copy. There was a small, orderly crowd of about 100 people there.

He seemed very tense. No smiles,...very little talk.

I went to see Ron Paul speak to a fairly raucous crowd of about 300 people in 2007 and he was very outgoing.