PDA

View Full Version : FBI Chief: "Americans Should be Deeply Skeptical of Government Power"

presence
10-11-2014, 11:22 AM
http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/james-comey-fbi-citizens-government/2014/10/10/id/600072/

He then goes on to denounce encrypted hard drives that the government doesn't have the power to unlock:

"The notion that we would market devices that would allow someone to place themselves beyond the law, troubles me a lot," Comey said. "As a country, I don’t know why we would want to put people beyond the law.

"That is, sell cars with trunks that couldn’t ever be opened by law enforcement with a court order, or sell an apartment that could never be entered even by law enforcement," he continued. "Would you want to live in that neighborhood? This is a similar concern.

"The notion that people have devices, again, that with court orders — based on a showing of probable cause in a case involving kidnapping or child exploitation or terrorism — we could never open that phone?" Comey asked. "My sense is that we’ve gone too far when we've gone there."

kcchiefs6465
10-11-2014, 11:51 AM
So skeptical that they should fire his ass.

Anti Federalist
10-11-2014, 01:17 PM
"That is, sell cars with trunks that couldn’t ever be opened by law enforcement with a court order, or sell an apartment that could never be entered even by law enforcement," he continued. "Would you want to live in that neighborhood? This is a similar concern."

Why yes, yes I would.

tangent4ronpaul
10-11-2014, 02:43 PM
Would you want to live in that neighborhood?

HELL YES!

-t

tangent4ronpaul
10-11-2014, 02:43 PM
Would you want to live in that neighborhood?

HELL YES!

-t

Ronin Truth
10-11-2014, 03:24 PM
Oh, I'm WAAAAY past deeply skeptical. Have moved heavily into deeply hostile now. :mad:

newbitech
10-11-2014, 03:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/embed/2jyY6rqP_3Q?start=30

GunnyFreedom
10-11-2014, 04:40 PM
Why yes, yes I would.

LOL this was my exact first thought. :D

Pericles
10-11-2014, 07:37 PM
Why yes, yes I would.

If you build it, they will come.

Weston White
10-12-2014, 02:20 AM
"The notion that we would market devices that would allow someone to place themselves beyond the law, troubles me a lot," Comey said.

Yea, sort of a like an individual's private thoughts, memories, and beliefs, eh?

"That is, sell mind reading devices to law enforcement that would forgo the necessity of a court order and render due process all together fruitless, or sell a facial scanners to law enforcement that entirely voids the concept of self-incrimination," he continued. "Would you want to live in that neighborhood? This is a similar concern.

Spikender
10-13-2014, 02:59 AM
Bless the power of encryption and curse anyone who isn't behind protecting your data from prying eyes.

Ronin Truth
10-13-2014, 08:30 AM
The new FBI director was covered on 60 Minutes last night. For a statist, he seemed to have his head screwed on about as well as we could hope for.