PDA

View Full Version : Communist Newz Netwerk 'Guns are racist'

tod evans
10-11-2014, 07:11 AM
Does race shape Americans' passion for guns?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/10/us/guns-race/index.html?hpt=hp_t4

It's not worth the effort to cut-n-paste but here's the highlights...:rolleyes:

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
You can't talk about guns in America without talking about race, scholars say
Some believe gun culture is rooted in fears that go back to slavery
Gun rights advocates disagree that fear is a motive
Each week seems to bring a new viral video that raises questions about guns and race

Whites walking down Main Street with an AK-47 are defenders of American values; a black man doing the same thing is Public Enemy No. 1.

"White people have been motivated by fear of the 'brown other' since the nation was founded," she says. "When they get afraid that brown people are going to take their stuff, they gun up."

jmdrake
10-11-2014, 07:20 AM
You know, this article isn't entirely bad. From the article:

How the KKK got into gun control

The KKK took so easily to gun control because the nation's first gun control laws in the 19th century were rooted in racism, historians say.
Before the Civil War, Southerners passed laws to keep guns away from slaves and free blacks because they feared slave revolts. After the war ended, Southern states passed laws that made it illegal for blacks to possess guns or ammunition.
The Klan's rise was driven by the fear of blacks with guns, Kopel says. He quotes one 19th century lawyer who said that when the Klan took control of an area, "The first thing done was to disarm the Negros and leave them defenseless."

And remember the black guy that got killed by police in Walmart because some white guy saw him checking out a BB-gun? Really, if more blacks understood the racist origins of gun control, less would support gun control.

FloralScent
10-11-2014, 07:27 AM
"White people have been motivated by fear of the 'brown other' since the nation was founded," she says. "When they get afraid that brown people are going to take their stuff, they gun up."

There's not much I can do about Uncle Sugar taking my stuff on a bi-weekly basis but if a brown man tries to take what's left of my stuff after that ass-raping then woe unto him. Racism? That word has no meaning to me because I'm not a Communist.

tod evans
10-11-2014, 07:31 AM
There's not much I can do about Uncle Sugar taking my stuff on a bi-weekly basis

Self employment......

jmdrake
10-11-2014, 07:39 AM
There's not much I can do about Uncle Sugar taking my stuff on a bi-weekly basis but if a brown man tries to take what's left of my stuff after that ass-raping then woe unto him. Racism? That word has no meaning to me because I'm not a Communist.

I assume that's the same if it's a white man trying to take what's left?

FloralScent
10-11-2014, 07:56 AM
I assume that's the same if it's a white man trying to take what's left?

Nope, unless he has a sun tan then I'm capping his ass.

Ronin Truth
10-11-2014, 08:04 AM
Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun.
Mao Zedong (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/quotes/authors/m/mao_zedong.html)

Slave Mentality
10-11-2014, 08:06 AM
Molon Labe

COpatriot
10-11-2014, 08:10 AM
Please. I have a passion for guns and I live in one of the whitest counties in America that isn't in Utah. In this area whites most likely commit a majority of violent crimes so don't give me that bullshit.

pessimist
10-11-2014, 10:33 AM
Racists have an inability to look at the larger picture; they either lack the cognitive ability or they're just blinded by hatred.

A common belief among white nationalists/white supremacists types is that blacks are "more violent"- they'll throw selective stats in your face, mostly gathered from the FBI (which they believe is run by teh Zionists/Jews but apparently trustworthy enough of a reference to support their cause). They also like to claim that blacks are more likely to commit crime.

Let's put aside generations of institutional discrimination, poverty, economic inequality, social conditioning, etc., and assume that this is all true.

"Blacks are more violent".

Okay... let's move up the ladder of abstraction a bit. Let's replace the word "black" with "man". In every state, town, city, and country regardless of race, ethnicity, or national origin- it is the man (gender) who commit the most violent crime. Historically, biologically, physically, psychologically, evolutionary- no matter what perspective that you look at it from MEN are far more violent creatures than their female counterparts.

Now...let’s continue on this same road and look at women. While they're FAR less likely to commit murder, arson, rape, physical torture, and engage in conventional warfare- they tend to engage in a different form of warfare; they are more psychological, manipulative, and deceptive. They can be deadly in acts of sabotage, character assassination, and treasonous behavior. They after all make for the best spies.

Now let continue up the ladder and look at HUMANS as a whole. Humans while capable of tremendous amount of good; they can invent, create, reason, empathize, build, and are capable of great things- they simply make this world one worth living in. But on the hand there is a dark side; a more primitive, scary, primal, fearful, and violent one...humans are DANGEROUS creatures.

That is why I am no longer for gun control. I support the right to bear arms as means to protect ourselves, our family, and our property from other humans :)

Anti Federalist
10-11-2014, 12:29 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSIIjcgaZFM

pcosmar
10-11-2014, 01:56 PM
They have it backwards. (as is often the case)

(gun control) Gun Laws are racist.
Guns are neutral.

Pericles
10-11-2014, 07:41 PM

And the founding fathers of the US agree. That is why the 2A exists - to ensure that political power is in the hands of the people.

Legend1104
10-11-2014, 10:05 PM
The way the title reads, I thought maybe it was because most guns are black.

Ronin Truth
10-12-2014, 12:18 PM
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- TJ

(The commies just really hate that.;))

Brian4Liberty
10-12-2014, 12:37 PM
We have reached the ludicrous level of cultural Marxism in the US. Anything and everything can be deemed to be politically incorrect and thus demonized. "It's racist, it's sexist, it's misogynistic, it's homophobic, it's discriminatory, it's mean, it's violates social justice! Hillary 2016!"

pcosmar
10-12-2014, 05:49 PM
We have reached the ludicrous level of cultural Marxism in the US. Anything and everything can be deemed to be politically incorrect and thus demonized. "It's racist, it's sexist, it's misogynistic, it's homophobic, it's discriminatory, it's mean, it's violates social justice! Hillary 2016!"

Does race shape Americans' passion for guns?

NOPE. ,,Propaganda does.

jmdrake
10-13-2014, 12:36 PM
Okay. Am I the only one who actually read the article? There is a lot of pro gun stuff in it as well as stuff that is not debateable.

"Whites walking down Main Street with an AK-47 are defenders of American values; a black man doing the same thing is Public Enemy No. 1," says Gallagher, a professor at La Salle University in Pennsylvania.

Let's see. White guy at Walmart get's black guy SWATed (and killed) for checking out a bbgun. So that seems true.

Gun rights advocates reject that notion. They say racial paranoia doesn't explain America's gun culture, and that they actually want blacks to have more guns. They say blacks should support groups like the National Rifle Association because law enforcement officers have traditionally not protected them.

"The NRA should stand for the Negro Rifle Association," says Robert J. Cottrol, a professor of law and history at George Washington University in Washington. "You would
think the way many black politicians are supportive of gun control that African Americans were the most protected people in American history."

These gun rights advocates acknowledge that racism shaped some American attitudes toward guns in the past. But they say it's race-baiting to insist it shapes gun culture today. Many non-whites, they point out, are supporters of gun rights but are ignored by the media.

Hmmm.....seems pretty pro gun to me.

The links between race and guns, though, may surprise you, some historians and gun scholars say.

One of the first groups to dramatically tout its support of open-carry guns laws was not a predominantly white group like the National Rifle Association. It was the Black
Panther Party.

Southern blacks were such strong supporters of gun rights that even the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. once kept an "arsenal" in his home, one gun control historian says.
And if you think gun control started with a liberal do-gooder group, you're wrong.

America's first gun control group, as well as its first domestic terrorist organization, says Kopel, was the Ku Klux Klan.

The KKK took so easily to gun control because the nation's first gun control laws in the 19th century were rooted in racism, historians say.

Before the Civil War, Southerners passed laws to keep guns away from slaves and free blacks because they feared slave revolts. After the war ended, Southern states passed laws that made it illegal for blacks to possess guns or ammunition.

The Klan's rise was driven by the fear of blacks with guns, Kopel says. He quotes one 19th century lawyer who said that when the Klan took control of an area, "The first thing done was to disarm the Negros and leave them defenseless."

These racial fears may seem like they belong to another era, but sometimes the present looks like the past, one historian says.

Totally pro gun. The KKK were the gun grabbers. The Black Panthers were open carry when open carry wasn't cool. And non-violent icon Dr. King was a pistol packing preacher.

There was a run on gun stores when President Obama was elected and another when he was re-elected. There was also a run on gun stores just before President Clinton signed the Federal Assault Weapons ban in 1994. One historian, however, says the surges in gun sales that accompanied Obama's elections were reminiscent of another era.

When emancipated blacks starting winning political offices right after the Civil War, Southern whites went on gun-buying sprees, says Dylan Rodriguez, an ethnic studies professor at the University of California Riverside.

"You had an absolute rush on guns by ordinary white citizens to arm themselves to the teeth because black people were being put in positions of white power," says Rodriguez, author of "Suspended Apocalypse: White Supremacy, Genocide and the Filipino Condition."

Here the parallel is drawn between gun runs when blacks came to power and gun runs when liberals who were intent on pushing gun control came to power. Yes there are some idiots that can only see "race" but any thinking person sees Obama supporting the same kind of assault weapons bans as did Clinton and campaigning on it.

The state of New York passed the 1911 Sullivan Act, which made owning a handgun more difficult, after large numbers of Italian and Jewish immigrants pouring into America were blamed for urban crime.

The fears of black people with guns resurfaced during the 1960s.

After a group of armed Black Panther members invoking their open-carry gun rights barged into the California state Capitol, lawmakers there passed the Mulford Act, banning the open carrying of loaded guns in public in 1967. The federal Gun Control Act of 1968 was passed after race riots rocked the nation.

Kopel says the Black Panthers had a different agenda than their contemporary counterparts.

"The Panthers' arms-carrying was often intended to be intimidating," he says. "That's one difference between the Panthers and modern open-carry activists. The latter are attempting to convey the message that they are harmless and peaceful."

More evidence that "gun control" is itself racially motivated. The open carry whites are portrayed as "peaceful", the open carry blacks (black Panthers) are portrayed as violent.

It's a mistake to think that our gun culture is lily-white, historians say. Contemporary blacks may be some of the strongest supporters of gun control, but the black community has a strong gun rights tradition, particularly in the South.

Guns helped spawn the civil rights movement, says Cottrol, the history professor at George Washington University.

White vigilantes who tried to attack black communities were met at times by gunfire. The Deacons for Defense, an armed black group, protected civil rights activists, says Cottrol, author of "The Long, Lingering Shadow: Slavery, Race and Law in the American Hemisphere."

Southern blacks in particular recognized the value of owning guns because they couldn't depend on anyone else to protect them during a time when the sheriff could be a member of the Klan, historians say.

"The civil rights movement was made possible because the Klan knew that black communities were armed," Cottrol says.

Even King, the apostle of nonviolence, once armed himself, says Adam Winkler, author of "Gunfight: The Battle Over the Right to Bear Arms in America." King applied for a concealed gun permit after his house in Alabama was bombed during his first civil rights campaign.

"Witnesses from the time who were allies of Dr. King reported that his home was an arsenal," Winkler says. "One reporter who was trying to interview Dr. King almost sat on a loaded gun when he sat down on the couch."

More on MLK the "pistol packing preacher".

Some gun rights advocates say contemporary black communities could learn from that tradition of self-defense.

Restrictive gun control laws often victimize black people more than any other group because they suffer disproportionately from violent crime, says John R. Lott Jr., author of "More Guns, Less Crime: Understanding Crime and Gun Control Laws."

A black person is 6.5 times more likely to become a murder victim than someone who is white; and 92% of black murder victims are killed by members of their own race, Lott says.

"Given the anger about police in many black communities, it might make more sense to let the law-abiding citizens in those communities have a greater chance to defend themselves," says Lott, founder and president of the Crime Prevention Research Center, a group that examines the links between gun control and crime.

There are some who say that gun laws actually discriminate against poor blacks by making it more difficult for them to buy guns for protection, he says. He says states do this by raising the costs of concealed gun permits, training and other fees that price out poor minorities.

And gun restrictions don't help black people living in violent neighborhoods, he says. Every time guns have been banned, Lott says, murder rates have increased. When the state of Massachusetts increased the costs of gun ownership, the number of registered gun owners in the state plummeted -- and the state's murder rate rose. Other academics say Lott's research is faulty.

"The big problem," Lott says, "is that law-abiding good citizens, not criminals, obey the gun control laws."

So the case is allowed to be presented that gun control actually makes people less safe.

There are more comments that I could make, but hopefully someone will see my point. I think the article was mis-titled (it should have been "What role does race play in the gun control debate"), but the content isn't bad. And yes, there is content from the "anti gun" side as well. I would say it is a pretty balanced article.