PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul is in Ferguson. Here’s why.

jct74
10-10-2014, 12:43 PM
Rand Paul is in Ferguson. Here’s why.

By Nia-Malika Henderson
October 10 at 1:55 PM

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) made one of the boldest and most memorable statements on the shooting death of an unarmed black teenager in Ferguson, Mo., going a place members of his party wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole.

Now, he's literally gone to the place -- as in, Ferguson -- where he's meeting with the NAACP, the Urban League and other church and business leaders about criminal justice.

A cynic would say that Paul, a likely 2016 presidential contender, is simply trying to expand his appeal.

That cynic wouldn't be entirely wrong.

“I am a politician, and I do recognize that [Republicans] haven’t done very well with people who live in cities -- primarily African Americans -- and I do think we need to do better,” he said in a phone interview from Ferguson. “The thing I found is that you might interview 20 people, and you find that they are not ready to vote for a Republican yet, but they are interested in Republicans competing for their vote and showing up in their communities.”

read more:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2014/10/10/in-ferguson-rand-paul-is-the-republicans-race-man/

Inkblots
10-10-2014, 01:09 PM
I find the grudging tone of this piece - how the author goes out of her way to suggest Paul's just faking concern for political gain something like four times - to be frankly annoying.

His challenge is not only convincing his party and white conservatives to join the conversation, but to also convince the people he is meeting with that it's not simply convenient politics.

No one, right left or center, has proposed more legislation to improve the civil rights, economic opportunities, and general well-being of urban America than Rand. He's talked to anyone who would listen. He's partnered with senators from Grassley to Booker to freakin' Harry Reid on these bills. And still they question his bonum fidei. What's he got to do, self-immolate on the steps of the DEA? (Nah, that'd just be a politcal stunt :rolleyes:)

cajuncocoa
10-10-2014, 02:14 PM
I don't see that as the author of the piece suggesting that Rand is faking. I see it as pointing out as truth that Rand has his work cut out for him in this regard. White conservatives, especially those in the South where I am, are not very hospitable to political figures who speak about civil rights....and African-Americans who hear it from Republican candidates usually just laugh.

limequat
10-10-2014, 04:27 PM
Is anybody asking if Sharpton is genuinely concerned or just in it for the politics?

economics102
10-10-2014, 05:30 PM
Is anybody asking if Sharpton is genuinely concerned or just in it for the politics?

Perhaps this rubric will help:

Is your concern for blacks sincere?

RACE______PARTY_______SINCERE?
White...........Democrat........Yes
Black............Democrat........Yes
White............Republican......No
Black............Republican.......No ("Uncle Tom")

idiom
10-10-2014, 11:05 PM
This could pose challenges for his party and for Democrats, who seem to be focused on a different part of the Obama coalition.

QUOTE OF THE MONTH. Omg I'm dying.

twomp
10-12-2014, 02:27 PM
I don't see that as the author of the piece suggesting that Rand is faking. I see it as pointing out as truth that Rand has his work cut out for him in this regard. White conservatives, especially those in the South where I am, are not very hospitable to political figures who speak about civil rights....and African-Americans who hear it from Republican candidates usually just laugh.

Stop it! Too much truth for one post!

cajuncocoa
10-14-2014, 10:36 AM
The comments after this article posted on Gateway Pundit (a site targeting toward those who tend to vote Republican from the looks of it) are the reason I say Rand has his work cut out for him with black voters (they don't seem to have much sympathy for Mike Brown or those who are protesting in Ferguson)

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2014/10/ferguson-protesters-march-at-upscale-plaza-frontenac-shopping-mall-in-st-louis/