PDA

View Full Version : Feds fight to keep Chicago 'ISIS' suspect's bond hearing secret

devil21
10-09-2014, 02:11 PM
Uh no Im sorry, this is America and we don't hold secret court hearings for adults charged with criminal violations. And we especially don't do it to protect "third party privacy".

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/10/09/judge-bail-mohammed-khan-islamic-state-chicago/16965721/

CHICAGO—A federal judge on Thursday delayed a bail hearing for a 19-year-old Chicago-area man who is accused of trying to travel to Syria to join the terror group ISIS after federal prosecutors pushed for part of the hearing to be held in secret.

Prosecutors say Mohammed Khan's bond hearing should be held in private to protect "third-party privacy interests," according to a motion they filed late Wednesday. Authorities charged Khan earlier this week with attempting to provide material support to the Islamic State.

But on Thursday, when Khan appeared in court for his scheduled detention hearing, Judge Susan Cox made clear that prosecutors were concerned about revealing the identity of unidentified minors associated with the case.

Khan's defense attorney, Thomas Durkin, objected and filed his own motion to keep the hearing open. Cox gave federal prosecutors until Oct. 17 to respond to Durkin's motion, and is expected to rule on the matter on Oct. 21.

In court, Durkin said Khan was "more concerned about his rights and the public's rights," in arguing for the hearing to be kept open.

"I'm adamant about not giving up constitutional guarantees out of fear and hysteria," Durkin added.

more if click

devil21
10-09-2014, 02:15 PM
Federal authorities have remained mum about how they were tipped off about Khan.

The case screams of another FBI-enabled online-sourced young, dumb patsy.

ZENemy
10-09-2014, 02:27 PM
I feel like I'm trapped in a prison that is ran by teenagers.

osan
10-09-2014, 02:28 PM
But on Thursday, when Khan appeared in court for his scheduled detention hearing, Judge Susan Cox made clear that prosecutors were concerned about revealing the identity of unidentified minors associated with the case.

Think of the children!