PDA

View Full Version : Change looms for Nobel Peace Prize

Zippyjuan
10-07-2014, 01:39 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/02/us-nobel-prize-idUSKCN0HR1GW20141002

(Reuters) - The head of the Nobel Peace Prize committee risks a unprecedented demotion after announcing the 2014 winner next week, part of wider changes that could both tilt the award to the right and dim chances for future U.S. presidents to win.

The Nobel season of the world's most coveted awards, each worth $1.1 million, opens on Monday with the medicine or physiology prize followed by physics, chemistry, peace and economics. The date for the literature prize has not been set.

Pope Francis, U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, ex-U.S. spy contractor Edward Snowden and Denis Mukwege, a Congolese doctor who helps rape victims, are among bookmakers' favorites from a record field of 278 nominees for the peace prize.

In a shift that could influence future peace awards, Thorbjoern Jagland, chair of the Norwegian Nobel Committee and a former Labor Prime Minister, risks being deposed by right-wing rivals after he announces the winner on Friday, Oct. 10.

Norway's parliament appoints the five-member committee and the Conservative-led coalition that won power in elections in 2013 will gain a 3-2 majority on the committee from 2015, reversing a 3-2 center-left majority under Jagland since 2009.

That could mean more prizes favored by Norway's right-wing, perhaps to little-known individuals fighting for democracy or human rights. Jagland seems to favor sweeping awards with a political flavor, including to U.S. President Barack Obama in 2009 or the European Union in 2012.

Another big shift will be the retirement at the end of the year of Geir Lundestad, the director of the Nobel Institute since 1990 and a professor specializing in American history. He attends all committee meetings but has no vote.

Kristian Harpviken, head of the Peace Research Institute, Oslo, detects Lundestad's influence behind an unusual run of U.S. prizes - to Obama, to former U.S. Vice President Al Gore in 2007 and to former U.S. President Jimmy Carter in 2002.

The departure of Lundestad is likely to shift focus from the United States, whose citizens and organizations have won about a quarter of all prizes, he said.

"The obvious thing, if anything, would be to discriminate against American candidates," he said, adding that future U.S. presidents would be unlikely to win.

A committee dominated by the Conservatives and their allies might mean "much more emphasis on human rights, freedom of expression. We could potentially see a turn towards prizes which acknowledge the utility of armed force."

More at link.

Acala
10-07-2014, 01:52 PM
While this seems like bad news for US Presidents, the good news is that they will be starting a new category of prize for mass murder. We are expected to be competitive.

jllundqu
10-07-2014, 01:56 PM
Sorry, but the Nobel PP is a joke and always was. The examples are too numerous to type, but its a friggin joke. There needs to be a new award from some reputable group that is given to those truly fighting for human liberty.

Zippyjuan
10-07-2014, 02:18 PM
The "Committee" is not really an independent group but is made up of members of the Norwegian parliament and is not the same as the other Nobel Prizes. There has also been talk about expanding the committee to include more outsiders.

Obama and Gore certainly did not deserve their awards.

mad cow
10-07-2014, 05:26 PM
The Peace Prize is a political joke.

Al Gore’s competition for the Nobel Peace Prize was weak at best. The closest competition he had may have been Irena Sendler. She did not stand a chance against Al Gore, preventer of future wars. Her achievements were modicum in comparison to what Al Gore accomplished sometime in the future–remember his award was for his preventing wars in the future by making a factually inaccurate documentary and selling carbon offsets from a company he owns to a multitude of liberal half-wits.

Irena Sendler was born in 1910 in a small town near Warsaw and raised by her Catholic parents. Her only downfall was that she was only able to rescue 2,500 hundred children during the Holocaust rather than the entire earth in the future. She was a Catholic social worker who went to Warsaw to rescue Jewish kids from death. She surreptitiously transported the Jewish children past the Nazis with a network of schemes and tunnels and provided them with false documents and procured Polish families to adopt them. She made a list of the Jewish children’s names and hid them in buried jars so someday she could give them their true identities. She was captured by the Nazis in 1943 and tortured and sentenced to death by firing squad. She never gave up her contacts and lists. She was eventually freed after a guard was bribed. She is scarred and disabled from her torture. She is in her 90′s now and living in Poland. It is a shame that someone with this meager of an accomplishment would try to compete with Al Gore and his future war stoppage for the Nobel Peace Prize. She should be ashamed for not withdrawing her name once she realized what a peace keeping force she was up against.

http://www.jimbyrd.com/al-gore-global-warming-and-the-nobel-peace-prize-for-dummies

Her Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irena_Sendler

Ronin Truth
10-08-2014, 08:25 AM
All these years and I never even knew that the Nobel Peace Prize even used looms.

Todd
10-08-2014, 12:33 PM
I know that everytime an American politician won it it was a big joke.

I can't remember the last time someone won that award who truly was about "peace". Maybe Mother Teresa.

Ronin Truth
10-08-2014, 12:48 PM
I know that everytime an American politician won it it was a big joke.

I can't remember the last time someone won that award who truly was about "peace". Maybe Mother Teresa.

http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/

scroll down

surf
10-08-2014, 09:36 PM
the prize can gain some credence if they choose Snowden.

sparebulb
10-08-2014, 09:51 PM
If the act of single-handedly preventing a couple of wars would be considered by the nominating committee as being worthy of credit, the clear winner of the peace prize would be Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin.

Uriah
10-09-2014, 08:13 AM
http://www.rightlivelihood.org
Check it out. I've paid more attention to this award than the Nobel for years. Can't be that bad when they awarded Snowden this year. There are multiple winners each year.

jmdrake
10-09-2014, 08:25 AM
The "Committee" is not really an independent group but is made up of members of the Norwegian parliament and is not the same as the other Nobel Prizes. There has also been talk about expanding the committee to include more outsiders.

Obama and Gore certainly did not deserve their awards.

I agree. Once Gore and Obama got "peace prizes" I quit taking them seriously at all. It's sad that the article portrays the fact that future peace prizes are likely to go to little known democracy activists as a "shift to the right". I thought liberals liked democracy and the "little guy"?

surf
10-09-2014, 10:59 AM
I got's a peace prize
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnLqoRtUAVg

enhanced_deficit
10-09-2014, 12:18 PM
Did Nobel peace award comittee encourage donegangsta-ism in the world?

http://willyloman.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/drone-kids.jpg?w=468&h=468