PDA

View Full Version : Michigan officer gives mother car seat for daughter instead of ticket

aGameOfThrones
10-07-2014, 11:43 AM
http://static3.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1966121.1412699602!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_970/seat8n-2-web.jpg

A cash-strapped Michigan mom got pulled over for a traffic violation but didn't receive a ticket — she got a helping hand.

The cop noticed that Lexi DeLorenzo's daughter was not sitting in a car seat so he told her to follow him to a nearby Walmart, where he bought her one.

"You are an amazing man, and I will never forget the kindness and compassion you showed me, and you also showed my daughter and myself that there are people out there that care," she wrote on Facebook.

Officer Ben Hall of Emmett Township was on routine traffic patrol before he crossed paths with DeLorenzo on Friday night, the department of public safety said.

After getting pulled over, DeLorenzo explained that she understood the importance of car seats for children's safety but has recently had a stroke of bad luck.

Due to financial hardships, she says she lost a few things, including her children's car seats.

Apparently, Hall thought it was time to lift a burden rather than add another.

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/michigan-officer-mother-car-seat-daughter-ticket-article-1.1966123

SeanTX
10-07-2014, 02:50 PM
Just more damage control psy-ops -- if he was really doing it out of the goodness of his heart, it wouldn't be a news story.

TheTexan
10-07-2014, 03:04 PM
I sure hope that carseat wasn't paid for with taxpayer money. That's not what we pay him for.

thoughtomator
10-07-2014, 03:10 PM
He will soon be fired for not shooting both the woman and her toddler - total violation of officer safety protocol. That child could have been strapped with a nuclear bomb wrapped in Ebola for all he knew.

TheTexan
10-07-2014, 03:15 PM
He will soon be fired for not shooting both the woman and her toddler - total violation of officer safety protocol. That child could have been strapped with a nuclear bomb wrapped in Ebola for all he knew.

Not to mention lost revenue from the ticket he refused to give. That lost money has to be made up somehow, I suggest his own pocket.

fisharmor
10-07-2014, 03:20 PM
I'm still waiting for someone to show me the mountain of dead babies.
Seriously, we should be able to see it on Google Maps or something, right?
I mean, it has to be a mountain, doesn't it? Of dead babies?

GunnyFreedom
10-07-2014, 03:25 PM
Well, I for one am grateful that people are posting positive stories about the police. By reporting on BOTH sides, it gives more impact and more credibility when I post the bad stuff out in the real world. Because people have started posting GOOD stories, I have been able to post a lot more of the bad stuff also without alienating my base. Posting the good and the bad alike has more positive impact amongst the general public than posting only one side.

aGameOfThrones
10-07-2014, 03:47 PM
he's paying for the little girl while she waves goodbye to her mother.

FindLiberty
10-07-2014, 04:17 PM
Well, I for one am grateful that people are posting positive stories about the police...

Count me in too, I know they are not all bad people.

I hope another story or two comes up in the next three weeks!

- Four for October - Five for November -

Maybe a half dozen positive police encounters can happen
for Dec (by Christmas). That seems like an achievable goal.

mad cow
10-07-2014, 04:42 PM
I can't believe that girl legally needs a car seat.She is not an infant or even a toddler.

In my day she would have been plenty old enough to ride in the back of the pickup truck without raising the first eyebrow.

Root
10-07-2014, 04:47 PM
I sure hope that carseat wasn't paid for with taxpayer money. That's not what we pay him for.
Of course it was paid for with stolen money.

He's still not a "good cop" unless I start reading stories about all the bad cops he arrested.

fisharmor
10-07-2014, 04:50 PM
I can't believe that girl legally needs a car seat.She is not an infant or even a toddler.

In my day she would have been plenty old enough to ride in the back of the pickup truck without raising the first eyebrow.

I'm telling you all, there has to be a mountain of dead babies.
It's the only explanation.
Everyone Gen X and younger, you HAVE to know like 3-4 people who died in car accidents as children, right?

presence
10-07-2014, 05:03 PM
ODDS of getting a free car seat instead of a ticket for this offense?

10:1?
100:1?
1000:1?
10,000:1?

JK/SEA
10-07-2014, 05:05 PM
The day a cop stops beating some homeless dreg to the point of death and says..''oh my god, what have i done, please arrest me''...then i will MAYBE start thinking the worm is turning...till then, i think this story is pure bullshit...

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-07-2014, 05:41 PM
"A chance encounter?" The photos might indicate otherwise. The photos look more polished and scripted than just someone taking out their cell phone. The handshake photo somewhat reminds me of the PR handshake photos of world leaders. And check the photo on the right. There seems to be two cameras taking pictures.

He also tells her to meet him at Walmart in 15 minutes. When was the media summoned and who called them? Is this woman being interviewed at the edge of the Walmart parking lot? How does the media learn of a minor story like this?

Could be wrong, but some of this does not seem to me like the typical behavior displayed in a "chance" event. Not saying it was totally planned (who gets pulled over, for example), but I think there definitely was some preconceived PR and some planning in this whole scenario.

Christian Liberty
10-07-2014, 06:27 PM
Well, I for one am grateful that people are posting positive stories about the police. By reporting on BOTH sides, it gives more impact and more credibility when I post the bad stuff out in the real world. Because people have started posting GOOD stories, I have been able to post a lot more of the bad stuff also without alienating my base. Posting the good and the bad alike has more positive impact amongst the general public than posting only one side.

This isn't really "positive." Well, maybe in a sense. But even within this little story, you have an officer who's interjecting himself into the life of this innocent woman and threatening her with violence because she isn't restraining her kid in the way "the law" demands. If these are the "good" stories this really just proves once again that there aren't any good cops.

Now, I do recognize nuance, and this is almost certainly an officer who's trying to do the right thing, but he doesn't understand the fundamental immorality of what he's doing. I don't blame him for being brainwashed, and I don't blame the woman for thanking him, but I am intellectually more alive than either of them.

phill4paul
10-07-2014, 06:35 PM
It's called a photo op. As in psy-op.

http://www.acclaimimages.com/_gallery/_free_images/0420-0908-0418-3540_american_soldier_shaking_hands_with_an_iraqi_ boy_m.jpg

specsaregood
10-07-2014, 06:44 PM

Christian Liberty
10-07-2014, 06:48 PM
Yeah and its like that near every state now. The law in Michigan where the story is from:

8 freaking years old...

"Safety first":rolleyes:

mczerone
10-07-2014, 07:03 PM
I'm telling you all, there has to be a mountain of dead babies.
It's the only explanation.
Everyone Gen X and younger, you HAVE to know like 3-4 people who died in car accidents as children, right?

You know what else: You can't buy the seats at resale shops. Even the simple plastic boosters.

The presumption is that everything that has been previously owned can't be safe, even if inspected.

So every year or two its another $50 - $500 dollars for a new carseat per kid, or x3 if your kid rides in multiple cars and you want a seat in each one.

mczerone
10-07-2014, 07:10 PM
ODDS of getting a free car seat instead of a ticket for this offense?

10:1?
100:1?
1000:1?
10,000:1?

It depends: Are you a cute person who fits the officer's sexual desires? Are you sporting a decent haircut and decent clothes, but have a sob-story about "hard times'?

And it also looks like both have no wedding rings; It's hard to make out the woman's left hand. The cop may not wear one for his job, does anyone know if cops usually keep their rings on while on duty?

ghengis86
10-07-2014, 07:23 PM
You know what else: You can't buy the seats at resale shops. Even the simple plastic boosters.

The presumption is that everything that has been previously owned can't be safe, even if inspected.

So every year or two its another $50 - $500 dollars for a new carseat per kid, or x3 if your kid rides in multiple cars and you want a seat in each one.

meh, craigslist can find you $5-15 seats. we had two cars and four small kids. after about age 5, we just left the seats in one car and whenever they rode with me in the old truck, just seatbelts and that's it. rural midwest has its good points still.

on topic; yes, it's a photo op. good for the lady though. no matter what the intentions, she didn't get arrested, her child taken by CPS, bankrupted, foreclosed and screwed for life. any pig encounter you can walk away from - let alone get out of a ticket and get some free swag - is a good encounter.

ghengis86
10-07-2014, 07:26 PM
It depends: Are you a cute person who fits the officer's sexual desires? Are you sporting a decent haircut and decent clothes, but have a sob-story about "hard times'?

And it also looks like both have no wedding rings; It's hard to make out the woman's left hand. The cop may not wear one for his job, does anyone know if cops usually keep their rings on while on duty?

no, typically they don't. some departments its a matter of policy to not wear personal affects. safety for the officer and all that; don't need no perps knowing where to go when officer friendly is out on patrol.

Chester Copperpot
10-07-2014, 07:45 PM
maybe its his wife and child and hes buying the seat for his own kid.

surf
10-07-2014, 10:31 PM
many skeptics here. I was glad to read this story and i'd really like to believe that this guy's a good one. maybe he realizes the car-seat law is bunk.

Mani
10-07-2014, 10:38 PM
He bought the car seat, so he could drive the child to CPS safely where the child will be separated from her mother forever and put in some crack smoking foster home.

HAHAHA.

Or it is simply a story of a man who did something kind.

But damn, that's old to have a car seat.

Ender
10-07-2014, 11:10 PM
many skeptics here. I was glad to read this story and i'd really like to believe that this guy's a good one. maybe he realizes the car-seat law is bunk.

Agreed.

Good news, once in a while, is OK by me. :)

FindLiberty
10-07-2014, 11:13 PM
Wait a minute. Eight is both too old and too young!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_youngest_birth_mothers

That car seat might be for a grand daughter...
...girls can start menstruating regularly at age five!

Philhelm
10-08-2014, 05:26 AM
“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

Well said.

GunnyFreedom
10-08-2014, 05:53 AM
And there is the important point that by posting both the good and the bad alike, you retain more credibility amongst the general public when you are posting the bad stuff.

phill4paul
10-08-2014, 06:04 AM
And there is the important point that by posting both the good and the bad alike, you retain more credibility amongst the general public when you are posting the bad stuff.

I've tried that before.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?372081-How-one-Sheriffs-Department-brought-an-eviction-to-a-peaceful-resolution

I think the best quote from the thread was AF's.

I've been asked at times, when getting the "cop hater" label affixed to me, how do you respond to all the "good cop" stories?

Simple: it's not noteworthy that the washing machine worked when you turned it on, and the car started when you turned the key.

That's supposed to be their job, to maintain the peace as best as possible while using the least amount of force as possible.

Not raiding homes with grenades and tanks.

At the end of the day, still nothing more than revenue collectors.

GunnyFreedom
10-08-2014, 06:11 AM
I've tried that before.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?372081-How-one-Sheriffs-Department-brought-an-eviction-to-a-peaceful-resolution

I think the best quote from the thread was AF's.

I'm not trying to convince AF....

green73
10-08-2014, 06:26 AM

You covered it what i had to say.

RonPaulIsGreat
10-08-2014, 06:39 AM
I'm still waiting for someone to show me the mountain of dead babies.
Seriously, we should be able to see it on Google Maps or something, right?
I mean, it has to be a mountain, doesn't it? Of dead babies?

They incinerate them with all the millions of aborted fetuses. Most likely you are breathing a few atoms of them now.

kpitcher
10-08-2014, 11:03 AM
Local police and organizations give away free car seats once a year. I'm not sure where the money comes from I just know if you need one and show you have a kid, you get a carseat. Or they'll check your existing car seat and if there are any defects or recalls they'll give you a new one.