PDA

View Full Version : DEA agent creates Fakebook account with images from seized phone....

phill4paul
10-07-2014, 06:49 AM
Government Set Up A Fake Facebook Page In This Woman’s Name
A DEA agent commandeered a woman’s identity, created a phony Facebook account in her name, and posted racy photos he found on her seized cell phone. The government said he had the right to do that.

The Justice Department is claiming, in a little-noticed court filing, that a federal agent had the right to impersonate a young woman online by creating a Facebook page in her name without her knowledge.

Government lawyers also are defending the agent’s right to scour the woman’s seized cellphone and to post photographs — including racy pictures of her and even one of her young son and niece — to the phony social media account, which the agent was using to communicate with suspected criminals.

The woman, Sondra Arquiett, who then went by the name Sondra Prince, first learned her identity had been commandeered in 2010 when a friend asked about the pictures she was posting on her Facebook page. There she was, for anyone with an account to see — posing on the hood of a BMW, legs spread, or, in another, wearing only skimpy attire. She was surprised; she hadn’t even set up a Facebook page.

The account was actually set up by U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration special agent Timothy Sinnigen.

Not long before, law enforcement officers had arrested Arquiett, alleging she was part of a drug ring. A judge, weighing evidence that the single mom was a bit player who accepted responsibility, ultimately sentenced Arquiett to probation. But while she was awaiting trial, Sinnigen created the fake Facebook page using Arquiett’s real name, posted photos from her seized cell phone, and communicated with at least one wanted fugitive — all without her knowledge.

The Justice Department’s headquarters in Washington, D.C., referred all questions to the DEA, which then declined to answer questions and, in turn, referred inquiries to the local U.S. attorney’s office in Albany, New York. That office did not respond to multiple requests for an interview.

A Facebook spokesman declined to comment on the case. The site’s “Community Standards” say, “Claiming to be another person, creating a false presence for an organization, or creating multiple accounts undermines community and violates Facebook’s terms.” The spokesman said there is no exception to this policy for law enforcement.

Meanwhile, the bogus Facebook page remains accessible to the public, BuzzFeed News found.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/chrishamby/government-says-federal-agents-can-impersonate-woman-online#4bhg7iz

otherone
10-07-2014, 06:57 AM
The Justice Department’s headquarters in Washington, D.C., referred all questions to the DEA, which then declined to answer questions and, in turn, referred inquiries to the local U.S. attorney’s office in Albany, New York. That office did not respond to multiple requests for an interview.

The 14th amendment: If you were born here, we own your ass, bitch.

Anti Federalist
10-07-2014, 07:32 AM
A Facebook spokesman declined to comment on the case. The site’s “Community Standards” say, “Claiming to be another person, creating a false presence for an organization, or creating multiple accounts undermines community and violates Facebook’s terms.” The spokesman said there is no exception to this policy for law enforcement.

But...

Meanwhile, the bogus Facebook page remains accessible to the public, BuzzFeed News found.

Suckers...yeah, "no exception" until Officer Friendly and his pals show up at Farcebook's door.

Then all bets are off.

Origanalist
10-07-2014, 08:23 AM
So not having a facebook account isn't enough, agents of the state can put you there anyway.

tod evans
10-07-2014, 08:44 AM
For decades now government can create a conspiracy with the sole intention of entrapping a citizen, feed and water every element of said conspiracy while luring the citizen to take part...

How is this any different?

mczerone
10-07-2014, 09:00 AM
I count like 20 criminal charges that would be slapped on a mundane if they did this crap.

And that's not even counting the theft of the phone in the first place.

otherone
10-07-2014, 09:00 AM
How is this any different?

BOOTY!!!

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/2014-10/6/16/enhanced/webdr11/enhanced-mid-13790-1412627885-24.jpg

specsaregood
10-07-2014, 09:03 AM
So not having a facebook account isn't enough, agents of the state can put you there anyway.

Just wait until they setup an account for you; posts something illegal on it; then "anonymously" informs a different law enforcement agency about it. Who then acting upon a "tip", swats your house.

mosquitobite
10-07-2014, 09:19 AM
Just wait until they setup an account for you; posts something illegal on it; then "anonymously" informs a different law enforcement agency about it. Who then acting upon a "tip", swats your house.

Exactly my concern!

FindLiberty
10-07-2014, 09:40 AM
LOOK what I just found here on the ground.

It's part of a chain still attached to what appears to be
a worn out copy of the US Constitution. Most of the pages
have been used as toilet paper... That's disgusting!

FindLiberty
10-07-2014, 09:48 AM
This looks like that same chain - I just found another piece of it over on the RPF picture thread!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/p526x395/10338755_10152410069020197_190965871249169726_n.pn g?oh=4e0af30de6ffc0b03ec7eef88028d54b&oe=54BEF165&__gda__=1422404046_b8a560f5633c898b3cd986cc65c71de 9

oyarde
10-07-2014, 10:10 AM
If these fuckers steal my phone , all they get is a few thousand missed calls from businesses , but I will be back for it anyway.

Anti Federalist
10-07-2014, 10:25 AM

Count on it.

Especially if they collude together first to share any of the asset forfeiture money.

pcosmar
10-07-2014, 10:29 AM

Exactly my concern!

And people called me an idiot when I questioned Dorner's alleged FB account and posts.

ZENemy
10-07-2014, 10:46 AM
If someone shot that agent, I wonder if he would do it again.

pcosmar
10-07-2014, 10:47 AM
If someone shot that agent, I wonder if he would do it again.

That would depend on how good of shot it was. ;)

specsaregood
10-07-2014, 10:50 AM
And people called me an idiot when I questioned Dorner's alleged FB account and posts.

Well they certainly can no longer argue that its not possible; seeing as the govt has officially admitted that they have done so in the past.

dannno
10-07-2014, 10:52 AM

Ya I'm sure the govt. has never setup a fake facebook account before :rolleyes:

Anti Federalist
10-07-2014, 11:05 AM

Did/does Eric Frein have a FarceBook page?

pcosmar
10-07-2014, 11:12 AM
Did/does Eric Frein have a FarceBook page?

No Idea.

I had avoided computers for years,, because of these concerns. The internet is a very dangerous animal.

I got one when I realized that all my information was already out there,, and the only one that had no access to it was me.

My online presence is to put MY spin on it.

Anti Federalist
10-07-2014, 11:29 AM
Smart move, considering you had already been compromised by the state.

No Idea.

I had avoided computers for years,, because of these concerns. The internet is a very dangerous animal.

I got one when I realized that all my information was already out there,, and the only one that had no access to it was me.

My online presence is to put MY spin on it.

green73
10-07-2014, 12:43 PM
It's on Drudge now

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/apnewsbreak-us-agent-sued-fake-facebook-page-26022224

enhanced_deficit
10-09-2014, 12:07 PM
freedom on the march.

Suzanimal
01-23-2015, 11:19 AM
Justice Department reaches $134,000 settlement for impersonating woman on Facebook

The Department of Justice has agreed to a settlement with a woman it impersonated with a fake Facebook profile in 2010. According to the Associated Press, the agency has reached a $134,000 settlement with Sondra Arquiett, who sued after learning that the Drug Enforcement Agency had used her name and pictures from her cellphone to set up a profile to communicate with suspects in an investigation.

The Justice Department initially argued that Arquiett, who was arrested and ultimately sentenced to probation for drug offenses, had consented by giving officers access to data on her cellphone and letting them use it for investigative purposes. But it also said it would be "launching a review" of the incident, and it's now apparently agreed to a settlement that's just over half of the $250,000 Arquiett reportedly asked for in her complaint.

Facebook, which requires users to sign up under their real names, has already gone after the DEA. The account was shut down, and in October of last year, the company sent a letter decrying a "knowing and serious breach of Facebook's terms and policies." According to court documents, a DEA agent used Arquiett's profile to send a friend request to a "wanted fugitive," and accepted friend requests from others under her name.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/20/7862261/justice-department-facebook-settlement-impersonation

Galileo Galilei
01-23-2015, 02:41 PM
The 14th amendment: If you were born here, we own your ass, bitch.

How does this pertain to 4 million black slaves in the southern states?

Anti Federalist
01-23-2015, 05:23 PM
How does this pertain to 4 million black slaves in the southern states?

Instead of freeing one group, it enslaved everybody.

Equality.

Galileo Galilei
01-23-2015, 05:34 PM
Instead of freeing one group, it enslaved everybody.

Equality.

Not where I am from in Wisconsin. We were already citizens before the 14th amendment.

Mach
01-24-2015, 12:50 AM
She shouldn't have settled for anything less than a couple million..... so, the DEA busts people in her name with her face and family members faces, now who are those dealers going to go after when they want to know how they got busted?

She could have been beaten or murdered on any given day and would have not even known why.... and the cop wouldn't have gave a rats ass.

It was definitely a life or death liability.