PDA

View Full Version : IL-Suburban Chicago cop shoots family dog then hands out a summons

Anti Federalist
10-05-2014, 08:23 PM
Cop Shoots Pit Bull in Front of Children, Dog Owner Cited

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Woman-Cited-After-Cops-Shoot-Dog-In-Front-of-Children-278178291.html#ixzz3FKMh90eD

Sunday, Oct 5, 2014 • Updated at 7:17 PM CDT

A west suburban woman has been cited after police shot her pit bull in front of her home Friday, but the woman says she's upset because the officer fired at the dog in front of her young children.

Gina Marie Stone said her 2-year-old pit bull was shot by Berkeley police Friday afternoon outside her Taft Avenue home.

“When I was putting daughter’s clothes away I heard like a noise,” Stone said.

Stone said her two young children, ages 4 and 5, rushed inside and told her their family dog had been shot.

“The kids came in running like ‘The cops shot Rayleigh, they killed Rayleigh,’” she said.

Rayleigh survived the shooting and police took her to the DuPage Animal Hospital for treatment.

Neighbor Wanda Williams heard the commotion and said she was shocked to see the children were near the scene of the shooting.

“What startled me even more is that these babies were right there by the cops,” she said.

Berkeley police said they responded to the scene after neighbors called to report an aggressive dog running loose.

Sgt. Justin Patti said when an officer arrived at the scene, two shoeless children were chasing the dog in the street.

“It was reported by one of the callers that called our station that [the children] were using conduit pipe sticks, chasing after the dog and hitting it,” Patti said.

Police said the dog was on a grassy area between the sidewalk and the street when it was shot.

“The dog actually became aggressive towards the officer, lunged at him, got within close proximity and the officer had to protect himself,” Patti said.

Officials say Rayleigh is recovering from the gunshot wound but vet bills have since totaled roughly $350. Police said Stone was cited for having a “vicious dog at large without tags.”

Police said an investigation into the shooting is ongoing and Patti said additional citations or charges could be filed.

GunnyFreedom
10-05-2014, 08:46 PM
So when will the invoice be cut to the family to pay for the bullets?

kcchiefs6465
10-05-2014, 08:50 PM
Neighbor Wanda Williams heard the commotion and said she was shocked to see the children were near the scene of the shooting.

“What startled me even more is that these babies were right there by the cops,” she said.

Berkeley police said they responded to the scene after neighbors called to report an aggressive dog running loose.
If she wasn't one of the supposed neighbors that called, the paper would do itself a journalistic service to mention as much.

“The dog actually became aggressive towards the officer, lunged at him, got within close proximity and the officer had to protect himself,” Patti said.
Kids possibly chasing and beating a dog with PVC? The dog says, "Meh."

Officer arrives on scene, the dog becomes aggressive.

Anti Federalist
10-05-2014, 10:20 PM
Officer arrives on scene, the dog becomes aggressive.

Dogs know "bad human" when they smell it.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-05-2014, 10:28 PM

Boy, ain't that the truth. Dogs will react to people who have eaten dog. I don't know if they smell it through the pores, detect behavior, or a combination.

They can sense the malevolence in these pigs like a cancer.

Glad to hear to dog is alive. Hope he's not in too much pain.

SeanTX
10-06-2014, 09:09 AM

So true. Back earlier in the summer I saw a neighbor's dog out of it yard (it's not aggressive that I ever saw) ; it did its usual tour of the neighborhood and then was back on the neighbor's porch scratching on the front door wanting in.

Then a cop pulled up and got out with his sidearm already in his hand and the dog went absolutely nuts wanting in. Fortunately he didn't get aggressive, he just barked a couple of times and scratched harder (of course just barking could have gotten him smoked).

limequat
10-06-2014, 12:22 PM
I don't like dogs, but these stories make me want to get one.
Would be nice to have someone tip me off if the bad guys are around.

tod evans
10-06-2014, 12:39 PM
I don't like dogs, but these stories make me want to get one.
Would be nice to have someone tip me off if the bad guys are around.

If you're just wanting a warning then get a flock of Guineas, the up-side is you won't feel bad about eating them if they get shot...

Deborah K
10-06-2014, 12:54 PM

It's true. My (8 yr old) dog, Cody, is my constant companion. When he's outside, he warns me when people pull up the driveway. He keeps strangers in their cars until I get outside. Once I'm out there, he goes up and smells them, and then backs off. One day though, when a delivery dude got out of his truck, Cody smelled him and then the hair went straight up on his back, he got in between me and the dude, and he bared his teeth. Cody wasn't going to let the dude anywhere near me, so he had to leave the package on the ground and get back up in his truck. He's never done it since, and he had never done it before then.

jbauer
10-06-2014, 01:55 PM
I'd like to know where I can get my gunshot wounds treated for $350. You think the government is bloated.