PDA

View Full Version : Okra mistaken for pot in man’s garden. Send in the clowns.

phill4paul
10-03-2014, 02:36 PM
CARTERSVILLE, Ga. — A Cartersville man is upset after he said investigators mistook a garden full of okra for marijuana plants.

The man growing the popular Southern food said a helicopter woke him up Wednesday and then he had deputies show up at his door.

"I was scared actually, at first, because I didn't know what was happening,” said homeowner Dwayne Perry.

All he noticed was that there was a chopper sitting unusually low over his house, then Bartow County deputies and a K-9 unit appeared at his doorstep in minutes.

"They were strapped to the gills,” Perry said.

It turned out, that helicopter was from the Governor's Task Force for drug suppression and they were out looking for domestic cannabis plants and spotted the tree and plants.

"Instead, it's okra and maybe a bush on the end of the house,” Perry said.

Channel 2’s Carl Willis called the Georgia State Patrol, who operates the task force, for an explanation. They sent an evidence photo.

"We've not been able to identify it as of yet. But it did have quite a number of characteristics that were similar to a cannabis plant,” said Georgia State Patrol Capt. Kermit Stokes.

Perry said his plants had five leaves, not seven like on the cannabis plant. He said a mistake like this shouldn't happen.

"Here I am, at home and retired and you know I do the right thing,” Perry said. “Then they come to my house strapped with weapons for no reason. It ain't right."

The authorities apologized on the scene and again when Willis called.

"If we disturbed them in any manner, that's not our intent. Our intent is to go out and do our job and do it to the best of our ability,” Stokes said.

But Perry said he doesn't think those words go far enough.

"The more I thought about it, what could have happened? Anything could have happened,” Perry said.

Perry said he's still getting calls about all of the deputy vehicles that responded at his home. He fears his reputation has been damaged.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/okra-mistaken-pot-mans-garden/nhbHW/

fisharmor
10-03-2014, 02:42 PM
I am shocked, shocked, I tell you, that the officers apologized to him.

Suzanimal
10-03-2014, 02:52 PM
I am shocked, shocked, I tell you, that the officers apologized to him.

I'm shocked he didn't get shot.

You'd think the cops would be used to seeing okra around Ga.

Danke
10-03-2014, 02:59 PM
Some plants are more equal than others.

otherone
10-03-2014, 03:19 PM
said Georgia State Patrol Capt. Kermit Stokes.

'nuff said.

http://memecrunch.com/meme/1HGFF/sumbitch/image.png?w=400&c=1

TheTexan
10-03-2014, 03:26 PM
When you're growing plants in your backyard that sort of look like marijuana from a distance, you've gotta know that eventually a drug helicopter is going to see it, and armed police officers are going to knock down your door.

Everybody knows that. He should have known better.

dannno
10-03-2014, 03:32 PM
http://apalacheehills.com/SpeciesAdded05/Okra-9.jpg

Suzanimal
10-03-2014, 03:40 PM
When you're growing plants in your backyard that sort of look like marijuana from a distance, you've gotta know that eventually a drug helicopter is going to see it, and armed police officers are going to knock down your door.

Dwayne did this to himself.

bunklocoempire
10-03-2014, 04:13 PM
http://apalacheehills.com/SpeciesAdded05/Okra-9.jpg

Whoa! That's the dankiest of the dank!

"If we disturbed them in any manner, that's not our intent. Our intent is to go out and do our job and do it to the best of our ability,” Stokes said.

And you were just outsmarted by a plant.

Angry at their neighbors, scared of their neighbors, and trying to deprive their neighbors of relief etc. Way to protect people's rights there champ. Oh? That's not your job? Your job is EXACTLY to disturb people in any manner.
**** the police.

This year is our first attempt at growing okra and we absolutely love the little buggers. Big plans for MOAR.

GunnyFreedom
10-03-2014, 04:59 PM
smdh. And I love okra.

jmdrake
10-03-2014, 05:12 PM
smdh. And I love okra.

Careful. Statements like that can get you SWATed. Seriously though I heard about this happening to some old lady years ago.

Anyway, those who are against pot hate fluffy bunnies.

http://cdn6.theweedblog.com/wp-content/uploads/marijuana-plant-pests-3.jpg

pcosmar
10-03-2014, 05:14 PM
"We've not been able to identify it as of yet. But it did have quite a number of characteristics that were similar to a cannabis plant,” said Georgia State Patrol Capt. Kermit Stokes.

it was green,, and growing out of the ground.

RJB
10-03-2014, 05:15 PM

We should be thankful they are protecting us from bad plants.

XNavyNuke
10-03-2014, 06:15 PM
Grits and okra. No reason that okra shouldn't be properly identified. The sheepdogs should not only lose their jobs, they should be forcibly relocated north of the Mason-Dixon Line.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-98I9NumTW1c/UgRfaWCOEmI/AAAAAAAAAk4/RJ3mYZcLU4E/s1600/instant_grits.png

XNN

GunnyFreedom
10-03-2014, 06:22 PM
Grits and okra. No reason that okra shouldn't be properly identified. The sheepdogs should not only lose their jobs, they should be forcibly relocated north of the Mason-Dixon Line.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-98I9NumTW1c/UgRfaWCOEmI/AAAAAAAAAk4/RJ3mYZcLU4E/s1600/instant_grits.png

XNN

^^ That. If someone doesn't know what okra is then they need to take their yankee ass on back home. :p :D

phill4paul
10-03-2014, 06:34 PM

XNN

The only "instant" grits I have had is when the ole lady gets up early and summons me from sleep for red-eye gravy and country ham, eggs, scratch bisquits and grits.
And that don't nearly happen as often as it should. :p

^^ That. If someone doesn't know what okra is then they need to take their yankee ass on back home. :p :D

Damn "half-backs." ;)

On a side note my daddy is an Buckeye. He had never had grits. When he joined the A.F. he dutied in the south and saw some grits and asked for a bowl of them. He sat at the table and added milk and sugar to them. The southerners were appalled. "Whatcha doing, Jack?" "I'm fixing it the way I like it." Then he took a bite. He had thought it was oatmeal. :p

Suzanimal
10-03-2014, 06:39 PM
The only "instant" grits I have had is when the ole lady gets up early and summons me from sleep for red-eye gravy and country ham, eggs, scratch bisquits and grits.

The best breakfast in the world.

http://i.imgur.com/emwfDDH.gif

satchelmcqueen
10-03-2014, 07:21 PM
i wonder if some of those cop cars came from the rome area? i couldnt make out what time this raid happened, but around 5pm-5:30pm there were sirens going out 411 towards cartersville for a good 15 minutes. i just thought there was a major wreck.

GunnyFreedom
10-03-2014, 07:33 PM

Damn "half-backs." ;)

On a side note my daddy is an Buckeye. He had never had grits. When he joined the A.F. he dutied in the south and saw some grits and asked for a bowl of them. He sat at the table and added milk and sugar to them. The southerners were appalled. "Whatcha doing, Jack?" "I'm fixing it the way I like it." Then he took a bite. He had thought it was oatmeal. :p

LOL I laughed hard enough at that that the cat was alarmed. :D

RJB
10-03-2014, 08:02 PM

I put sugar on my grits in front of a bunch of southerners. I thought I was gonna get lynched. Seriously.

My wife, an NC girl, agrees that I had it coming if they had.

I don't do that no more.

GunnyFreedom
10-03-2014, 08:08 PM
Polenta is the dirtier, yankee version of grits, only they use the whole corn instead of just the hominy.

phill4paul
10-03-2014, 08:10 PM
I put sugar on my grits in front of a bunch of southerners. I thought I was gonna get lynched. Seriously.

My wife, an NC girl, agrees that I had it coming if they had.

I don't do that no more.

Lol! He said he ate the whole damn bowl so they wouldn't think him ignorant. He's never touched them since. He'll add with a wink "Wasn't the worst thing I had to eat in the military."

opal
10-03-2014, 11:06 PM
<--- transplanted yankee.. more time in the south now than up north.. love grits but since most corn has become a frankenfood, I've been abstaining for a while now

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-03-2014, 11:16 PM
Send in the clowns.

"And where are the clowns?
Send in the clowns
Don't bother, they're here"