PDA

View Full Version : NY - A barking dog will get you thrown in jail.

Anti Federalist
10-03-2014, 08:09 AM
Not a good day in the land of the free, if you're not cracking down on somebody or something.

Town makes it a jailable offense for allowing dog to bark

http://www.policestateusa.com/2014/union-ny-bans-dog-barking/

UNION, NY — A central New York town has instituted jail time as a penalty for a wide variety of menial violations of the town’s extensive pet control laws.

With a population of 56,000, the Town of Union now stands out as having among the most draconian laws in the country for pet owners.

Among the laundry list of pet “offenses” is a prohibition on barking.

Pet owners could face up to fifteen (15) days in jail or $250.00 fines for any of the following offenses — among others — listed in Chapter 71 of the town statutes:

Owning a dog without an annually-renewed $25 license [71-5 (H)]
Transferring ownership of a dog without a new license [71-4.1 (H)]
Failing to notify the Town Clerk of a dog’s death [71-4.1 (K)]
Owning a dog that annoys any person with “howling, barking, crying or whining” [71-5 (B)]
Permitting a dog to defecate or urinate anywhere outside of the owner’s property [71-5 (F)]
Disposing of dog poop in a toilet or sewer [71-5 (F)]
Owning a dog that chases cars [71-5 (E)]
Allowing a dog off of a leash, even on the owner’s property [71-5 (A) and 71-6]

Of note, cats and other domestic animals can also violate the “howling, barking, crying or whining” prohibition [71-13 (A)].

Town Supervisor Rose Sotak told WBNG that officials were anxious to “put some teeth into the rules” using the new police powers.

moostraks
10-03-2014, 08:46 AM
Lol! Sounds like they want a pet free zone. Petty tyrants need to flex their muscles and play with their pretty new police toys. Now how in the world are they going to know if one flushes dog poop down the toilet? Can you flush cat turds? What does that matter anywho if the toilet can flush human waste?

Is the dog to always be on leash or is this strictly outside? What if they have a dog pen for the dog to do his business in? Do they still need to be chained? I guess there is no walking of dogs for exercise there either?

Wonder what type of teeth these laws have for out of towners? Such as the urinating /defecating laws? Could be some interesting protests if one were so inspired to pursue :D

Root
10-03-2014, 08:51 AM
This seems like a great opportunity for the regular cops to conduct summary executions on the offending canines.

Good luck NY.

presence
10-03-2014, 09:07 AM
Owning a dog without an annually-renewed $25 license [71-5 (H)] GUILTY
Transferring ownership of a dog without a new license [71-4.1 (H)] GUILTY
Failing to notify the Town Clerk of a dog’s death [71-4.1 (K)] GUILTY
Owning a dog that annoys any person with “howling, barking, crying or whining” [71-5 (B)] I'm sure I've done that too
Permitting a dog to defecate or urinate anywhere outside of the owner’s property [71-5 (F)] GUILTY
Disposing of dog poop in a toilet or sewer [71-5 (F)] Never considered that one
Owning a dog that chases cars [71-5 (E)] Every dog I've ever owned did that once and never again
Allowing a dog off of a leash, even on the owner’s property [71-5 (A) and 71-6] GUILTY
Of note, cats and other domestic animals can also violate the “howling, barking, crying or whining” prohibition [71-13 (A)]. GUILTY

Spikender
10-03-2014, 09:13 AM
Petty tyrants need something to help them get it up, might as well be ordinances that punish pet owners for pets being pets.

Can't have unregistered dogs running around, they've been known to be used in several criminal activities such as barking at the mailman or peeing on your neighbor's mailbox.

KCIndy
10-03-2014, 11:09 AM
Owning a dog without an annually-renewed $25 license [71-5 (H)]
Transferring ownership of a dog without a new license [71-4.1 (H)]
Failing to notify the Town Clerk of a dog’s death [71-4.1 (K)]
Owning a dog that annoys any person with “howling, barking, crying or whining” [71-5 (B)]
Permitting a dog to defecate or urinate anywhere outside of the owner’s property [71-5 (F)]
Disposing of dog poop in a toilet or sewer [71-5 (F)]
Owning a dog that chases cars [71-5 (E)]

Of note, cats and other domestic animals can also violate the “howling, barking, crying or whining” prohibition [71-13 (A)].

Translation: No Pets Allowed.

It sounds like they've managed to take all the bylaws of a really uptight Neighborhood Association and turn them into criminal code. Hell's Bells, who would even think about "notifying the Town Clerk of a dog's death" instead of just burying poor Fido in the back yard? (I suppose that's illegal now, too.)

I wonder how much of this is really just a smokescreen to allow incredibly invasive home searches by the police? "Step outside with your hands up! We've had a report of a.... DOG being kept at this residence!"

Seriously. How else are they going to determine if one is flushing dog poop?

I'll be watching to see how many home invasions are committed by the local Badge Gang in this town over the course of the next year. Gotta keep those civilians safe from dog poop, don't ya know.

ZENemy
10-03-2014, 11:18 AM

phill4paul
10-03-2014, 11:20 AM
Onerous laws will get thrown in the woods.

The Free Hornet
10-03-2014, 11:21 AM
I thought there might be some explanation in the "Demographics" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union,_New_York#Demographics) of the town and then I came across this gem:

During the American Revolution, detachments of soldiers were sent through this region with the intent of attacking natives who were friendly to the British.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union,_New_York#History

Sounds like a double tap is needed. :)

pessimist
10-03-2014, 11:23 AM
I remember there used to be a dog chained to a dog house in my grandparents neighborhood who barked nearly 24/7- the neighbors constantly complained, the cops did nothing.

My grandmother had to take the dog into her house to shut it up, and eventually she adopted it.

Root
10-03-2014, 12:42 PM
This seems like a great opportunity for the regular cops to conduct summary executions on the offending canines.

Good luck NY.

Owning a dog without an annually-renewed $25 license [71-5 (H)] GUILTY
Transferring ownership of a dog without a new license [71-4.1 (H)] GUILTY
Failing to notify the Town Clerk of a dog’s death [71-4.1 (K)] GUILTY
Owning a dog that annoys any person with “howling, barking, crying or whining” [71-5 (B)] I'm sure I've done that too
Permitting a dog to defecate or urinate anywhere outside of the owner’s property [71-5 (F)] GUILTY
Disposing of dog poop in a toilet or sewer [71-5 (F)] Never considered that one
Owning a dog that chases cars [71-5 (E)] Every dog I've ever owned did that once and never again
Allowing a dog off of a leash, even on the owner’s property [71-5 (A) and 71-6] GUILTY
Of note, cats and other domestic animals can also violate the “howling, barking, crying or whining” prohibition [71-13 (A)]. GUILTY
Better watch out. The kops might issue summary executions for going 8 for 8.

TheTexan
10-03-2014, 01:06 PM
Pet owners could face up to fifteen (15) days in jail or $250.00 fines for any of the following offenses — among others — listed in Chapter 71 of the town statutes:

I'm glad that they've found a solution to the annoying problem of dogs barking, that works for everybody. Now everyone can get along in peace, without anyone's day being ruined by dogs barking.

tod evans
10-03-2014, 01:14 PM
Say what?

aGameOfThrones
10-03-2014, 05:59 PM
John Wick!!!

Anti Federalist
10-03-2014, 09:58 PM
Say what?

Woof.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/05/25/article-2149370-1344A53A000005DC-910_306x529.jpg

cindy25
10-03-2014, 10:32 PM
seems like an opportunity for someone who wants to run for Town Board. the primary (most small towns are Republican) would bring out the dog owners.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-03-2014, 11:08 PM
Town Supervisor Rose Sotak told WBNG that officials were anxious to “put some teeth into the rules” using the new police powers.

http://cmsimg.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=CB&Date=20121106&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=311060066&Ref=V1&MaxW=300&Border=0&Sotak-takes-lead-supervisor-race

May the canine of justice sink his teeth into your blubberous butt.