PDA

View Full Version : Criminal turns himself in, creates drug story. Cops raid. Kill homeowner. No drugs.

phill4paul
10-02-2014, 07:56 PM
Because an admitted criminal's word is worthy of an warrant. :rolleyes:

David Hooks' Lawyer says he wants the public to know the truth of of the death of his client.

He says the statement released by law enforcement last week, stating that Hooks was shot and killed by deputies during a drug search, is in stark contrast with the truth.

The Laurens County Sheriff's office says Hooks was shot after he got out a firearm and started showing aggression. The G.B.I also conducted a search of the property.

"That search of some 44 hours conducted by numerous agents of the G.B.I resulted in not one item of contraband being found. He was not a drug user or a drug dealer" said Mitchell Shook.

13WMAZ obtained the search warrant that led to the raid. It says the night before that raid, a man claimed he found 20 grams of suspected methamphetamine inside a pickup at Hooks' home.

Rodney Garrett reportedly told investigators that he took a plastic bag from the pickup, believing that there was money inside,and a set of digital scales.

Then he stole another vehicle from Hooks' home, a Lincoln Aviator SUV, the warrant says. After he drove the SUV to Dublin, Garrett said, he realized that the bag contained meth instead of cash.

Garrett told officers that he "became scared for his safety," and turned himself in to Laurens deputies, the warrant says.

"The drug task force and the Laurens County Sheriff's response team arrived at David and Teresa Hooks home unannounced by emergency lights or sirens" said Shook

He says Teresa Hooks, David's wife, looked outside and saw people with hoods during the evening of the drug search. He says she woke her husband up, thinking the burglars were back. He says Hooks then armed himself.

Shook says there was no knock and announce, unlike what the initial release from the Sheriff's office stated.

"The task force and the SRT members broke down the back door of the family's home and entered, firing an excessive sixteen shots. There is no evidence that David Hooks ever fired a weapon" said Shook.

Well I guess there is this....

As for Rodney Garrett, he is now charged with burglary, theft of a motor vehicle and other charges, according to the warrant.

What? :eek: No murder charge for the result of the police action?

http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/local/dublin/2014/10/01/warrant-meth-raid-led-to-fatal-laurens-shooting/16538903/

aGameOfThrones
10-02-2014, 08:10 PM
"Every attack on an officer of the law is an attack on our state, our country and civilized society," Corbett said in a statement.

Got to stop the drugs, yo.

jkr
10-02-2014, 08:21 PM
jihadists!

Czolgosz
10-02-2014, 08:33 PM
Lol

SeanTX
10-07-2014, 10:54 AM
bump

Lucille
10-10-2014, 11:14 AM
Looks like the GA police state really cleaned up their act after flash-banging a baby. No doubt a grand jury will be writing another long SWLOD (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?452988-SWAT-drops-Flash-grenade-in-toddler-play-pen-Sheriff-blames-quot-domestic-terrorist-quot&p=5666666&viewfull=1#post5666666) over this incident as well.

http://www.theburningplatform.com/2014/10/09/police-shoot-kill-georgia-grandfather-during-no-knock-drug-raid/

The officers claimed to be looking for methamphetamines. After searching the home forty-four (44) hours, not a single trace of narcotics was retrieved.

The warrant — which was acquired only 1 hour before the raid — had been founded on information provided by the very same burglar who had stolen the Hooks’ Lincoln Aviator SUV two nights prior. The self-described thief and meth-addict was Rodney Garrett, who alleged that he had obtained drugs from inside the vehicle he had stolen from David and Teresa Hooks.

Laurens County Magistrate Judge Faith Snell was presented with this information and readily signed the warrant, granting the sheriff’s department the permission it needed to launch a mid-night assault on the unsuspecting couple.

DamianTV
10-10-2014, 11:38 AM
Maybe its time to end the War on Drugs?

Warrior_of_Freedom
10-10-2014, 12:13 PM
this kinda shit going on in this country is why people do drugs
and let's not forget
there's plenty of people doing "illegal" drugs
but I believe there's MORE people than NOT, doing "legal" drugs

acptulsa
10-10-2014, 01:18 PM

People thought ending the superstitious belief in witches would end governmental arbitraryness too, but it didn't. Drug users are the replacement witches, and they're turning each other in like witches did.

Looks like people are winding that down. But don't worry--they're inventing a new group of witches. Beware of 'terrists'. But most of all, don't piss off your neighbors. Because your neighbors will accuse you of being a 'terrist', and Dick Cheney will dunk you in the water personally and only pronounce you innocent if you come up dead.

jllundqu
10-10-2014, 01:41 PM

Maybe it's time to have a no-knock raid on the judge that issued the warrant, the sheriff that authorized it, and the officers that conducted it.

***Disclaimer to NSA/DHS - I, in no way, am inferring, suggesting, or advocating the use of violence against the police state, even though the mundanes are murdered every single day in events described herein.***

(Gotta CYA... you never know these days :( )

RonPaulIsGreat
10-10-2014, 04:00 PM
Metal doors. You need steel doors!!!

SeanTX
10-13-2014, 08:53 PM
http://www.41nbc.com/story/d/story/community-rallies-for-david-hooks/27555/oM7qRNQXV0io3_dZzQFj5A

Community rallies for David Hooks
Alexa Rodriguez
10/13/2014 02:27 PM

DUBLIN, Georgia (41NBC/WMGT) - Community members gathered outside the Laurens County Courthouse on Monday to let it be known that they will not stand down on this issue.

snip
"We now know that they broke the back door down to the residence, came inside and while inside the residence fired an excessive 16 times at David," explained Shooks.

Shooks adds the deputies didn't follow protocol when serving their search warrant. He believes the warrant the deputies had required them to knock on the door before entering the home, but instead, they broke down the back door.

The Sheriff's Office reports David had a firearm in his hand that night.

Shooks argues that was his was of protecting his home. He mentioned someone broke into the Hooks' home the night before the fatal shooting.

"I think he thought some burglars were back at his house and he was going to try and scare them," noted Shooks.

Friends, family, and concerned citizens gathered at the Laurens County Courthouse to make a statement in honor of David.

"We will not forget this case. We will have justice for David. There are other people out there who are seeking the same answers," explained Catherine Bernard, a criminal defense attorney and the rally organizer.

The rally included testimonies from people who lost loved ones to officer involved shootings.

Bernard said this will not be the last rally.

snip

phill4paul
10-14-2014, 07:08 AM
http://www.41nbc.com/story/d/story/community-rallies-for-david-hooks/27555/oM7qRNQXV0io3_dZzQFj5A

I hope people are finally waking up. Stories like this get me excited, that besides what I and others do in this echo chamber, that our "community outreach" efforts to change peoples thinking on police militarization/brutality/impunity might be making a bit of a difference.

tod evans
10-14-2014, 07:14 AM
When you see great big scarlet "G's" tattooed on government employees foreheads and their children are ridiculed for the parents poor choices in employment is when I'll feel some headway is being made......

phill4paul
12-11-2014, 12:42 PM
UPDATE: Attorney: Hooks shot in the back and head during raid

David Hooks was shot in the back and head as he was lying face down on the floor during a drug raid by Laurens County deputies.

That's according to the lawyer representing his family.

It's been nearly four months since David Hooks was shot to death during a drug raid at his East Dublin home.

13WMAZ's Paula Rotondo spoke to his wife, Teresa Hooks and the family's lawyer, Mitchell Shook.

Hooks died Sept. 24 while deputies served a search warrant at his home.

They were looking for drugs, but didn't find any.

Shook, who is representing his family, says the raid was illegal and has asked the FBI to investigate.

He says officers were looking for drugs in the home, but didn't find any. Shook says the officers fired 17 shots inside the home and struck Hooks.

He says Hooks had four wounds, two of which he says are very problematic. Shook says that's according to the Laurens County EMS records. He says the same information is found in the medical records from Fairview Park Hospital.

"One was to the side of the head, the other, was in his back, the back of his left shoulder, based on the evidence we see, we believe that David Hooks was face down on the ground when he received those last two shots," says Shook.

Shook says they have not received the autopsy yet from the GBI.

Teresa Hooks, David's wife, remembers the night clearly.

She says, "Between 10:30 and 11, I turned the light off upstairs. I heard a car coming up the driveway really fast, and I looked up the upstairs window. I saw a black vehicle with no lights. I saw 6 to 8 men, coming around the side of my house, and I panicked. I came running downstairs, yelling for David to wake up. He was in the bedroom asleep, had been for about an hour and a half. When I got downstairs to the bottom of the stairs, he opened the door and he had a gun in his hand, and he said, 'Who is it?,' and I said I didn't know. He stepped back into the bedroom like he was going to grab his pants, but before he could do that, the door was busted down. He came around me, in the hall, into the den, and I was gonna come behind him, but before I could step into the den the shots were fired, and it was over."

She says, "Initially, I thought that I was going to die, I thought I was going to be shot, I thought a gang had broke in, and up until I heard the radios the dispatch radios, I had no idea."

Hooks says she sat outside in handcuffs for two hours after her husband was shot to death.

She says during that time, she had to watch her husband on a stretcher without a word from officers about what was going on.

Hooks says she appreciates all of the support from the community.

She says, "Our community has supported us for the most part and we really appreciate that. I think there's been a misconception of us being anti law enforcement, that's not true, we realize there has to be law enforcement and we respect law enforcement but this was wrong."

Shook says, "We hope that the district attorney will take all of this into consideration and take this case before the grand jury and do it in a matter where the grand jury hears everything, not just the officer side of the story."

County Sheriff Bill Harrell has declined comment on the raid since turning the investigation over to the GBI.

In September, authorities say Hooks responded to the search by getting a weapon before he was shot. But according to the return search warrant, the shotgun Hooks had in his hands had no ammunition.

A GBI spokeswoman says they are still awaiting lab results before completing their investigation.

Then the case will be turned over District Attorney Craig Fraser for possible prosecution.

http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/local/dublin/2014/12/10/david-hooks-shot-twice-in-back/20213383/

jmdrake
12-11-2014, 01:31 PM
1) End the drug war yesterday

2) End no know warrants yesterday

3) Prosecute the informant for first degree murder

4) Prosecute the shooting officer for involuntary manslaughter

5) Fire the police chief for having a policy that allows no knock raids

6) Start running candidates on a platform of ending no knock raids

7) Make people who die needlessly from fake no knock drug raids as famous as Michael Brown and Treyvon Martin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zex4lFArbd0

ExPatPaki
12-11-2014, 01:32 PM
jihadists!

He was following Sharia law!

jmdrake
12-11-2014, 02:20 PM

[B]Shook says, "We hope that the district attorney will take all of this into consideration and take this case before the grand jury and do it in a matter where the grand jury hears everything, not just the officer side of the story."[B]

http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/local/dublin/2014/12/10/david-hooks-shot-twice-in-back/20213383/

Actually the grand jury typical only hears the side other than the accused. What happened in the Michael Brown case is the prosecutor put in "all" the evidence....the strategically undermined anything that went against the cop....and introduced a legal standard that had already been ruled unconstitutional.

Cissy
12-11-2014, 11:51 PM
jihadists!

There is no god but The State and the police officer is its prophet?

Anti Federalist
12-12-2014, 11:08 AM
///

SeanTX
12-14-2014, 10:18 AM
It's nice that people are protesting this -- it's just too bad that we are way beyond the point where peaceful protests will accomplish anything. Ya gotta "burn the bitch down" to get anyone to take notice anymore.

It will probably just end up like every other case like this -- the case will go before a grand jury (filled with as many cops and cop family members as they can possibly put on it) and they will refuse to indict.

http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/local/dublin/2014/12/13/david-hooks-rally-dublin/20361819/

WMAZ

Protesters rally for David Hooks in downtown Dublin
Paula Rotondo, 9:07 p.m. EST December 13, 2014

On Saturday, hundreds of protesters swarmed the steps of the Laurens County courthouse in support of David Hooks, who was shot and killed by deputies during a September drug raid.

Originally scheduled to start at 2 p.m., increased traffic from the rally pushed the start time to 2:10.

Deputies had been looking for drugs during the raid on Hooks' home but didn't find any. It was during this raid that the Hooks family's lawyer Mitchell Shook said 17 shots were fired in the home.

Shook and David Hooks' wife Teresa Hooks attended Saturday's rally as well as other members of the community, asking for justice for Hooks.

People of East Dublin talk about David Hooks' shooting

Hooks' father Carl opened the rally, addressing the crowd, "I can't understand how these people are still on the job," talking about the Laurens County Sheriff's Department.

A friend of David's, Tom McCain, stepped to the podium shortly after, and U.S. Senate candidate Derrick Grayson said, "The moment you realize it can happen to you is the moment you wake up."

snip

A GBI spokeswoman says they're still waiting for lab results, which will then go to District Attorney Craig Fraser for possible prosecution.

TheTexan
12-14-2014, 11:46 AM
On the bright side, the officers are OK.

Thor
12-14-2014, 12:18 PM
Sounds like a planned execution to me. Just needed "a reason"

pcosmar
12-14-2014, 12:41 PM
Sounds like a planned execution to me. Just needed "a reason"

That would be described as "Execution Style" anywhere else.

anaconda
12-16-2014, 02:57 AM
Why didn't the cops just plant some drugs in the house?

anaconda
12-16-2014, 02:58 AM
On the bright side, the officers are OK.

And hopefully "suspension" is with full pay and benefits.

UWDude
12-16-2014, 04:17 AM
I am pretty sure this happened in Washington State recently too, the city of Everett, IIRC. Almost the exact same circumstances.

Mani
12-16-2014, 04:38 AM
Why didn't the cops just plant some drugs in the house?

They figured they would at least find some weed, so didn't bother to bring anything along...

That's why they spent 44 hours!!!!!!!!

Coz there like...Fuck..there's gotta be something..SOMEWHERE!!!