PDA

View Full Version : 62-yr-old lady shot in the back by Fla Officer now on Leave

aGameOfThrones
10-01-2014, 10:39 AM
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. —
Oct 1, 2014, 11:22 AM

A Florida police officer has been placed on administrative leave pending an internal affairs investigation after he fired a stun gun into a 62-year-old woman's back during an arrest in a Tallahassee neighborhood.

Tallahassee Police Chief Michael DeLeo called a news conference early Wednesday morning to announce the investigation after authorities obtained a video capturing the Tuesday afternoon incident that was shot by someone on a nearby porch.

"Based on the video, I have enough concerns to call for an internal investigation," DeLeo said. "We will conduct a thorough investigation into this incident. We want to be transparent with the community by sharing what we can at this point, including the video."

According to police, the officers were responding to recent complaints from citizens about drug deals in the neighborhood located just a few blocks west of the governor's mansion. The woman, Viola Young, approached one of the police cars parked on the narrow street to inquire about one of the people — two women and a man — who had been arrested.

The officer standing outside the squad car advised the woman to stay back. Police said that's when Officer Terry Mahan approached Young and attempted to take her into custody.

In the video, Young appears to be walking away when the officer uses his stun gun, striking her in the back. She falls face-first to the ground. Officers surrounded her and eventually helped her to her feet and walked her to a squad car, the video shows. Police didn't release the name of the person who shot the video, but he can be heard saying on the video: "done tased a lady for nothing."

Police said Young was medically cleared by paramedics and taken to the Leon County Jail.

She was charged with resisting and obstructing an officer without violence, a first-degree misdemeanor.

In his police report, Mahan said that after he told people to stay back she "responded by yelling, 'I just want to know what is going on.'" Mahan said Young refused to leave and he told her she was under arrests. He said she yanked away from him when he attempted to grab her arm.

Video from last year's arrest of Christina West showed officers slamming her into a police car before throwing her to the ground. West can be heard screaming in the video. A grand jury decided against charging the officers in that incident but ripped Tallahassee police for how they handled the arrest.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/fla-officer-leave-stun-gun-woman-25884142

XNavyNuke
10-01-2014, 10:55 AM
Video here:

Update: Officer placed on paid leave in tasing incident (http://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/local/2014/10/01/tpd-chief-deleo-to-hold-middle-of-the-night-press-conference/16519959/)

XNN

tod evans
10-01-2014, 11:01 AM
Here it is without having to go to the link, the kops zap the broad at 2:35;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8BQakQ7rPY#t=164

aGameOfThrones
10-01-2014, 11:16 AM
Here it is without having to go to the link, the kops zap the broad at 2:35;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8BQakQ7rPY#t=164

the calmness in the way he shoots the lady, like it ain't no thing.... cus it ain't for them

RJB
10-01-2014, 11:29 AM
the calmness in the way he shoots the lady, like it ain't no thing.... cus it ain't for them
I wonder if he was whistling "The Good the Bad and the Ugly" and living a Clint Eastwood fantasy as he shot an old lady in the back.

GunnyFreedom
10-01-2014, 11:39 AM
We still have a LOT of work to do...clearly too many of these (like this one) are failing to be indicted. However, I have to say that I am heartened by the fact that our outrage as a society is finally shining a light on this issue. More and more of these are making real press. More and more of these are being submitted to Grand Juries.

Don't mistake my meaning. We still have a LOOOONG way to go before we see anything like 'justice' in this area. There aren't even enough laurels to rest on were we even inclined to rest on our laurels right now. All I am saying is that there is in fact some visible improvement, given that these things are now being more heavily reported, and these abusers are more likely to be sent to a Grand Jury to determine an indictment.

It's nowhere near over yet, but we are no longer on our own 5 yard line at 4th down. Now it's more like our own 15 yard line and 3rd down. It's only a glimmer of progress, but it's enough progress to actually see, so I am heartened. :)

limequat
10-01-2014, 01:07 PM
Misleading title, should say tased in back.

GunnyFreedom
10-01-2014, 01:11 PM
agree with this.

GunnyFreedom
10-01-2014, 01:14 PM

Also, the thread title seems to say that the 62 year old woman is now on leave. One of the reasons I was drawn to this thread is because I wanted to learn about why this 62 year old woman was "on leave" after getting shot in the back by a cop.