PDA

View Full Version : Even when D.A. charges cop w/ felony grand jury indicts w/ misdemeanor.

phill4paul
09-30-2014, 03:56 PM
Copsuckers. I'm sick of 'em. Have no use for them. Justice will not be found in the "Just-Us" system.

NORTH AUGUSTA, S.C. (AP) — Ernest Satterwhite was a laid-back former mechanic with a habit of ignoring police officers who tried to pull him over — an act of defiance that ultimately got him killed.

The 68-year-old black great-grandfather was shot to death after a slow-speed chase as he parked in his own driveway, by a 25-year-old white police officer who repeatedly fired through the driver's side door.

Investigators determined that North Augusta Public Safety Officer Justin Craven broke the law. A prosecutor, in a rare action against a police officer, sought to charge him with voluntary manslaughter, punishable by up to 30 years in prison. But the grand jury disagreed, indicting him on a misdemeanor.

Experts say it's the first time an officer was charged in a fatal shooting in roughly a decade. But the grand jury opted for "misconduct in office," a charge used for sheriffs who make inmates do their personal work, or officers who ask for bribes. Their single-page indictment, returned in August, contains no details other than accusing Craven of "using excessive force and failing to follow and use proper procedures."

Seven months after the funeral, and eight days after his indictment, Craven was put on administrative leave — with pay.

http://newsok.com/officer-kills-man-through-car-door-in-his-driveway/article/feed/741626

aGameOfThrones
09-30-2014, 04:05 PM
Brianna Stefansky, from Shapsville, PA, said, "We don't know the danger they go through on a daily basis and what they put their lives on the line for, so everyone should give them a thanks, and not judge them or criticize them for the way they handle things."

kcchiefs6465
09-30-2014, 11:33 PM
I'm sure that it was because the grandfather was black and the officer was white...

Couldn't possibly be hair triggered, unaccountable, steroidal thugs are running the streets acting lawless.

HOLLYWOOD
10-01-2014, 03:16 AM
Rigging the Grand Jury... it's called tampering/racketeering/influence... the government's "JUST-US" system is a charade at every level to protect it's complete control over the public and citizens no matter how illegal or guile. Yet the people are still clueless to how their government juctice system is doing it at each and every level of the process/positions.

Spikender
10-01-2014, 03:21 AM
It's hard to hear the Grand Jury over all the pig dick in their mouths.

tod evans
10-01-2014, 06:22 AM
Why in the Sam Hell must these stories be painted with "black victim, white killer"?

I never see white cop kills white guy or black cop kills black guy, or anything about the Mexicans or Chinese or or....

This POS cop needs strung up for killing one of his betters not for an interracial killing.

limequat
10-01-2014, 07:23 AM
These Grand Juries are a fucking joke. No other industrialized country uses them.
Was there a grand jury for John Crawford or Miriam Carey? Nope, instantaneous execution.

SeanTX
10-01-2014, 07:51 AM
I'm guessing most grand juries are like the one I was on here a few years ago, where the assistant DAs are all buddy-buddy with the jurors and talk to them about how oh so wonderful their officers are and then try to explain how they have a very difficult job to do and sometimes they just need the benefit of the doubt.

And most jurors eat that up. It also helped them to have an active LEO on the grand jury who they could swap stories with, to show us how oh so hard it is to be a cop, show us how we just need to put ourselves in their shoes, etc.

The only way the grand jury system could be made to be worth a damn is if they made it at least somewhat independent of the prosecutor's office -- things like not having LEOs serving on them, not letting the DA or asst DA's have any time alone with the jurors to persuade them, etc. The only time an asst DA wasn't in the jury room with us was when we were taking a vote, and it should have been that way all the time.

I do remember one of the asst DA's saying that at one time they used to provide things like soda, pizza, and doughnuts for the grand jurors, and some defense attorneys complained about it , so they stopped. I doubt most jurors are influenced on how to vote by free food, but they certainly are influenced by listening to the asst DA's bantering and BS'ing with jurors and testifying officers. So they got rid of a little perk while allowing the real problem to continue ...

phill4paul
10-01-2014, 03:46 PM
while allowing the real problem to continue ...

Long story short. Lol. +rep.