PDA

View Full Version : UAW & Ron Paul

rational thinker
12-02-2007, 08:30 PM
We should start a mass emailing and mailing to UAW to request that they endorse Ron Paul.

http://www.uaw.org/

If we get this endorsement, Michigan will become an easy win for Ron! We need this.

JosephTheLibertarian
12-02-2007, 08:34 PM
lol aint gonna happen. But why not try?

American
12-02-2007, 08:34 PM
I think this is a great effort, good luck and I wish you well. :)

Take Action

JMO
12-02-2007, 08:35 PM
I can't imagine a union endorsing Ron Paul.

EotS
12-02-2007, 08:35 PM
On what rational thinking basis do you believe the UAW would endorse Ron Paul?

They lobby for government intervention in everything that suits their purpose.

rational thinker
12-02-2007, 08:36 PM
lol aint gonna happen. But why not try?

It could happen. I think his economic views would be favored by the people of Michigan. Believe me, I live here and our biggest problem is our economy and the Democrats sure as hell aren't doing a thing about it. They want change and if they hear how he voted against NAFTA and etc., that would really attract their attention. So don't give up hope.

American
12-02-2007, 08:36 PM
I can't imagine a union endorsing Ron Paul.

Why not a Union, Ron Paul endorses all Unions or the Idea of Unions. They just wont get anything special from him as president.

rational thinker
12-02-2007, 08:37 PM
Why not a Union, Ron Paul endorses all Unions or the Idea of Unions. They just wont get anything special from him as president.

I know that it's hard to imagine, but the UAW is different. Believe me. They're looking for a totally different direction.

JosephTheLibertarian
12-02-2007, 08:37 PM
It could happen. I think his economic views would be favored by the people of Michigan. Believe me, I live here and our biggest problem is our economy and the Democrats sure as hell aren't doing a thing about it. They want change and if they hear how he voted against NAFTA and etc., that would really attract their attention. So don't give up hope.

all the "mainstream" special interest groups take politics over ideology. They don't want economic fairness, they want legislation in their favor! Why won't the NRA endorse a candidate that is more pro gun rights than the NRA itself? because the leaders are scum bags... they don't represent the members, plain and simple, they're insiders looking to score political points.

JMO
12-02-2007, 08:39 PM

You answered your own question.

JosephTheLibertarian
12-02-2007, 08:40 PM
why not try? I just don't think it'd happen.. but, we can TRY lol. the result of an endorsement like this would shake the political world.

rational thinker
12-02-2007, 08:41 PM
There's no harm in trying. Keep in mind that the Democrats are now off the table after Michigan was stripped of all of their Democratic delegates. Why not try to show to them that Ron Paul is the best Republican?

The Plan
12-02-2007, 08:54 PM
The thing that will sway them are trade agreements. That's what Ron Paul will do in their favor, not sign anymore NAFTA's that come agross his desk as president. Those trade agreements have done huge damage to the union and Hillary won't even admit it's a bad idea. They know that these trade agreements destroy unions in the US and that means:

less people joining unions + Union people being laid off because work is moving to non-union Mexico = less union dues

rational thinker
12-02-2007, 09:19 PM
Bump

rational thinker
12-03-2007, 02:45 PM
Bump

Talldude1412
12-03-2007, 02:49 PM
I would honestly feel like I needed a shower if they endorsed him. We don't need that enormous bureaucratic bullying organization to back him.

john_anderson_ii
12-03-2007, 02:54 PM
I would honestly feel like I needed a shower if they endorsed him. We don't need that enormous bureaucratic bullying organization to back him.

If we want to win Michigan, we do. I'm sure it's possible we can win Michigan without them, but we sure would be a shoo in with them! :)

Michigan meet up! Grab a suit and tie and go shake some hands with these guys. Bring some slim jims! :D

thePhilosopher
12-03-2007, 02:58 PM

And there's the rub. The unions won't pull for ANYONE, regardless of their views on NAFTA, etc. if they won't play the "scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" game. My family has really suffered because of poor management within unions that has cost us jobs directly. Part outsourcing, part bad management, but entirely the fault of unions. They are living in the past (like 50 years ago kind of past), and that is costing American jobs.

akovacs
12-03-2007, 03:09 PM
I think his economic views would be favored by the people of Michigan

Union organizations are not the general population. They are a small privileged group that enjoys government protection. They will not endorse anyone that threatens that hold, especially RP. Sorry, but you're wasting your time.

BTW, union workers themselves might be open to it (My mom was a steelworker and she voted republican consistently). Many of the workers join because they are legally bound to, not because they necessarily support it. But the organization itself won't, no matter how you try to spin it.

Oh, and don't go to a union shop asking for support. Some will get fired for openly supporting a republican.

An endorsement would also be damaging to RP's credibility.

Talldude1412
12-03-2007, 03:18 PM
I think they best route with RP in Michigan is pointing out how much of their paychecks he intends to make sure they keep, and how he intends for more money to be spent on the US instead of foreign countries. Just ask ANY Michigander what are roads are like, they will reply "Baghdad esque", which ironically might be better than our own at this point thanks to our tax dollars. Just focus on small federal gov't, with open trade to EVERYONE. Michigan is hurting for jobs, and a bigger market place for US goods means more jobs.

Kingfisher
12-03-2007, 03:23 PM
The Teamsters used to support Republicans. Dont know if they do now.

rational thinker
12-03-2007, 07:09 PM
I'm still going to try to get their endorsement.

rational thinker
12-04-2007, 05:43 PM
Bump