PDA

View Full Version : how to become a politician?

randpaul2016
09-27-2014, 03:27 PM
For someone young in there low 20s...is there any hope for a political career?

Where can I find more information on this? Where do I start? No one in my family is a politician and I don't have any connections...

I am a born leader, people call me a politician all the time, I am very likable etc.

I think I looked into this before and I came to the conclusion to where you need money to start so I gave up. My friend's dad ran for Florida house district and he is just someone's dad...ya know? Random people I run into are running for something...I want to be the one running one day.

appreciate any help

MelissaWV
09-27-2014, 03:31 PM
Without knowing anything else, the first thing to do would be to familiarize yourself with your local political landscape. This might mean attending city council meetings, educating yourself on how often the various seats are contested at lower levels of government in your area, etc..

Simultaneously, worry a bit more about your reputation. Arrest records become more important. Feuds can become a curse. Name recognition of the wrong sort can sink you very quickly.

Others on here can give far more detailed advice from there, but the end game here is to figure out if there's a winnable race before you start raising funds and getting endorsements for anything.

randpaul2016
09-27-2014, 03:35 PM
Without knowing anything else, the first thing to do would be to familiarize yourself with your local political landscape. This might mean attending city council meetings, educating yourself on how often the various seats are contested at lower levels of government in your area, etc..

Simultaneously, worry a bit more about your reputation. Arrest records become more important. Feuds can become a curse. Name recognition of the wrong sort can sink you very quickly.

Others on here can give far more detailed advice from there, but the end game here is to figure out if there's a winnable race before you start raising funds and getting endorsements for anything.

yes I DO need to familiarize myself with the local political landscape. Pls help on this if you or anybody else can.

CPUd
09-27-2014, 03:41 PM
yes I DO need to familiarize myself with the local political landscape. Pls help on this if you or anybody else can.

If you are in a small town and have a volunteer fire dept, go sign up. They won't have you running in burning buildings for a while, probably washing trucks and running hoses. But you will see a lot of people, and become a familiar face as someone who serves the community.

pessimist
09-27-2014, 03:42 PM

Where can I find more information on this? Where do I start? No one in my family is a politician and I don't have any connections...

I am a born leader, people call me a politician all the time, I am very likable etc.

I think I looked into this before and I came to the conclusion to where you need money to start so I gave up. My friend's dad ran for Florida house district and he is just someone's dad...ya know? Random people I run into are running for something...I want to be the one running one day.

appreciate any help

You certainly have the narcissist aspect covered :D

randpaul2016
09-27-2014, 03:55 PM
You certainly have the narcissist aspect covered :D

haha you got it

I just need to learn more about the local political landscape first off...then?

reputation under control. I am already a familiar face in my community.

Uriah
09-27-2014, 04:12 PM
This should help. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?390181-8-Orgs-to-join-before-you-run-for-office

randpaul2016
09-27-2014, 04:16 PM
I live in Florida if anyone wants to help narrow my research

currently doing hw right now lol

thoughtomator
09-27-2014, 04:38 PM
> how to become a politician?

lie

heavenlyboy34
09-27-2014, 04:46 PM

lie

I'm pretty sure "sell your soul to the highest bidder" comes before that. ;)

09-27-2014, 04:52 PM
Law degree then become a staffer for a DC politician. Pay your dues put your time in. The run for a smaller office start with state level.

That's a pretty standard path.

pcosmar
09-27-2014, 04:56 PM

lie

LoL,,
I was going to ask if he lies well.
Seems a job requirement.

aGameOfThrones
09-27-2014, 04:58 PM
http://m.quickmeme.com/img/ee/eeeed80e523636bac46db3c8398792432842b1536c198a4361 dde106d7a8808d.jpg

RJB
09-27-2014, 05:02 PM
If you are in a small town and have a volunteer fire dept, go sign up. They won't have you running in burning buildings for a while, probably washing trucks and running hoses. But you will see a lot of people, and become a familiar face as someone who serves the community.

QFT.

You'll also hear more local political gossip than anywhere else and you'll have a big army behind you when you do run.

randpaul2016
09-27-2014, 05:21 PM

lie

I'm pretty sure "sell your soul to the highest bidder" comes before that. ;)

LoL,,
I was going to ask if he lies well.
Seems a job requirement.

hahaha^^^ remember even Ron Paul advocated the youth start learning about local politics.

Law degree then become a staffer for a DC politician. Pay your dues put your time in. The run for a smaller office start with state level.

That's a pretty standard path.

seems like a big picture...I'm JUST getting started though. Who knows might end up going to law school, but as of now I am not. I don't mind being a staffer either, my friend interned for Jon Hunstman at his Florida headquarters in 2012.

QFT.

You'll also hear more local political gossip than anywhere else and you'll have a big army behind you when you do run.

already have some friends with similar views as me, I kinda got them all involved in politics. Also have a following in the community. I just need to learn more about my local political landscape and figure out what future races I could possibly run for. Because right now I don't know much. If anyone wants to help me out, reach out pls.

presence
09-27-2014, 05:31 PM
tell boobus what he wants to hear
vote for the special interests funding you
be slimy and commit to nothing
smile and pander

randpaul2016
09-27-2014, 05:35 PM
So I found the schedule of my county's city council meetings...Never been to one.

Still looking for a breakdown of the political landscape in my area.

randpaul2016
09-27-2014, 05:58 PM
so confused

pessimist
09-27-2014, 06:08 PM
Common traits of a Lawyer, Politician, and CEO. :D

The Hare Psychopathy Checklist

GLIB and SUPERFICIAL CHARM — The tendency to be smooth, engaging, charming, slick, and verbally facile. Psychopathic charm is not in the least shy, self-conscious, or afraid to say anything. A psychopath never gets tongue-tied. They have freed themselves from the social conventions about taking turns in talking, for example.
GRANDIOSE SELF-WORTH — A grossly inflated view of one’s abilities and self-worth, self-assured, opinionated, cocky, a braggart. Psychopaths are arrogant people who believe they are superior human beings.
NEED FOR STIMULATION or PRONENESS TO BOREDOM — An excessive need for novel, thrilling, and exciting stimulation; taking chances and doing things that are risky. Psychopaths often have low self-discipline in carrying tasks through to completion because they get bored easily. They fail to work at the same job for any length of time, for example, or to finish tasks that they consider dull or routine.
PATHOLOGICAL LYING — Can be moderate or high; in moderate form, they will be shrewd, crafty, cunning, sly, and clever; in extreme form, they will be deceptive, deceitful, underhanded, unscrupulous, manipulative, and dishonest.
CONNING AND MANIPULATIVENESS — The use of deceit and deception to cheat, con, or defraud others for personal gain; distinguished from Item #4 in the degree to which exploitation and callous ruthlessness is present, as reflected in a lack of concern for the feelings and suffering of one’s victims.
LACK OF REMORSE OR GUILT — A lack of feelings or concern for the losses, pain, and suffering of victims; a tendency to be unconcerned, dispassionate, cold-hearted, and non-empathic. This item is usually demonstrated by a disdain for one’s victims.
SHALLOW AFFECT — Emotional poverty or a limited range or depth of feelings; interpersonal coldness in spite of signs of open gregariousness.
CALLOUSNESS and LACK OF EMPATHY — A lack of feelings toward people in general; cold, contemptuous, inconsiderate, and tactless.
PARASITIC LIFESTYLE — An intentional, manipulative, selfish, and exploitative financial dependence on others as reflected in a lack of motivation, low self-discipline, and inability to begin or complete responsibilities.
POOR BEHAVIORAL CONTROLS — Expressions of irritability, annoyance, impatience, threats, aggression, and verbal abuse; inadequate control of anger and temper; acting hastily.

continue: http://www.sociopathicstyle.com/psychopathic-traits/

heavenlyboy34
09-27-2014, 06:12 PM
hahaha^^^ remember even Ron Paul advocated the youth start learning about local politics.

And the more the youth learn about politics the more they will reject it (assuming they have a half-decent moral compass of some sort).
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRvCOhOOcrGC8YVNKJlRhR6Nof7PQ7i-pmGJhrm3xJUBoU3jBoPUw

erowe1
09-27-2014, 06:15 PM
Get involved in your local county GOP, as well as some local group of people that share your beliefs, maybe a Tea Party group if you feel like you can fit in there.

Good luck to you, while you're still optimistic enough to be able to talk about doing this without wanting to vomit or cry or anything.

CPUd
09-27-2014, 06:16 PM
Also you need to find a local business owner who is doing well, and marry into the family. If you are central FL, chances are good that she will be crazy, so you will need to figure out a way to deal with that.

green73
09-27-2014, 06:25 PM
Depends. How narcissistic are you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1syUip7hHY

Massachusetts
09-27-2014, 06:26 PM
Join your local Republican Town Committee. The rest will take care of itself - new avenues will open up from there.

erowe1
09-27-2014, 06:26 PM
people call me a politician all the time, I am very likable etc.

Man. I mean, sorry for raining on the parade. I kind of vaguely remember thinking "likable" and "politician" could go together. But now this line seems like some kind of satire or something.

Natural Citizen
09-27-2014, 06:31 PM
You have to first pay attention to local political scene. Start small unless you specifically want to become involved at a different level. If you do decide on anything then stop posting here (or any place for that matter). Or, at the least, change your login name.

But you have to familiarize yourself with local political ...oh...infrastructure? Is that the word? You don't need a lot of money. Don't get hung up on that.

Good luck. I'm probably going to do it myself soon.

Edit - Get fit too. Seriously. That's kind of a "leader" thing more so than a "politician" thing. You want to look better than the guy(s) with whom you're competing. Always...

Matt Collins
09-27-2014, 06:56 PM
go to the Leadership Institute in Arlington, VA: http://leadershipinstitute.org/

Also go here: http://www.facltraining.org/facl2/school-signup.htm

Natural Citizen
09-27-2014, 07:28 PM
There be monsters out there too. Be mindful and remember why you decided to become involved at a higher level. Remember your values. Don't become a trinket for someone elses political model.

Now Matt is correct in his thinking (in scope) but be careful and choose your company wisely. Do that after you become confident in yourself. The basics. First things first.

TaftFan
09-27-2014, 09:27 PM
This might sound simplistic, but just watch what other politicians do.

William Tell
09-27-2014, 10:02 PM
Help other candidates. And contact some liberty minded people who have ran and won, or at least did well in a race such as you plan. You will have to be able to learn how to communicate with and inspire confidence in people. Learning how to raise money is pretty important too.

Running for office is time consuming, yes, you can win. But most people who run lose. You need to keep in mind that even if you do 'everything right' you may still lose. My hope would be that even if you lose, you will consolidate a voter/volunteer base for future liberty campaigns.

Iowa
09-27-2014, 10:09 PM
Say things you don't mean. Befriend people you don't like. Spend money you don't have.

Carson
09-27-2014, 11:09 PM
I haven't lobbied for anything since the squeeze ketchup bottles first came out and they sounded really cool. The guy who invented them should have gotten some sort of honorary mention in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

green73
09-27-2014, 11:16 PM
go to the Leadership Institute in Arlington, VA: http://leadershipinstitute.org/

Also go here: http://www.facltraining.org/facl2/school-signup.htm

Pls tell me more about how i can join the side of the oppressors!

TheTexan
09-27-2014, 11:24 PM
If you want to be a politician, be sure to follow a good religion. (e.g., not islam or atheism)

invisible
09-27-2014, 11:38 PM
Volunteer for a political campaign. If you can't find a Ron Paul supporter running for some local or state office in your area, then examine all candidates running for all offices, and volunteer for the candidate who you feel is best. Stick close to the campaign, and you will learn what it takes to get elected as well as meeting activists and political figures. You'll find out quickly who the doers are, and who the talkers are. The friends and allies you make here will be very good to have at a later point, so keep those associations current after the campaign. Get in on this now, before it takes two more years for the next election to heat up.

Research what positions will be opening up in the next election two years from now. If your state doesn't have term limits, perhaps offices are term limited at the county or city level. The lower and less important the office, the less competition in a primary, and the cheaper and easier it is to win these elections. It's a lot easier and cheaper to get the relatively few number of votes required for a Planning Board or City Council office, than something like the State Senate or US Congress. Find an election that will be an open seat, anything from a City position to State Rep. Don't be afraid to start small. File to run in the primary, just before the deadline. Now go back and call in your favors with the people you know from your previous experience as a volunteer.

Become active in your community in some sort of volunteer position or charity. Become active in your local party. Talk to others who are running for office. Talk to your friend's father, he will be a wealth of information and knowledge of experience. Build allies and coalitions, avoid confrontations and burning bridges. Most of all, have fun. The learning curve isn't too steep, you can do it. You don't have to be a lawyer or anything like that. Just be informed on the issues, and be able to talk about them.

It will also be useful for you to search RPF and read how Gunny won his election back in 2010. Many people recommend joining toastmasters to hone your public speaking skills.

TheTexan
09-27-2014, 11:44 PM
For every problem, be sure to have a solution available that involves a) making something illegal, or b) taking and/or spending money

fr33
09-28-2014, 12:03 AM
Try to buddy up with your local politicians and their supporters. Volunteer fire department, city council, chamber of commerce. Join every club there is. Elks Lodge, Masons, Knights of Columbus, etc. Volunteer at shelters and other charities. You need to be a real kiss-ass. I couldn't do it.

green73
09-28-2014, 12:04 AM
If you want to be a politician, be sure to follow a good religion. (e.g., not islam or atheism)

But, but the religion of most atheists is the state. Surely they make good politicians...

Matt Collins
09-28-2014, 10:28 AM
Pls tell me more about how i can join the side of the oppressors!huh? This makes no sense.

I am referring to getting liberty legislators elected.

randpaul2016
09-28-2014, 09:40 PM
Join your local Republican Town Committee. The rest will take care of itself - new avenues will open up from there.

where/how could I find more info on this?

You have to first pay attention to local political scene. Start small unless you specifically want to become involved at a different level. If you do decide on anything then stop posting here (or any place for that matter). Or, at the least, change your login name.

But you have to familiarize yourself with local political ...oh...infrastructure? Is that the word? You don't need a lot of money. Don't get hung up on that.

Yes I do need to familiarize myself with the local political infrastructure, and need help...

This might sound simplistic, but just watch what other politicians do.

I've been doing this, researched this politician in my city. He is running for Florida House District, whatever that is...He's a Republican member of Florida's House of Representatives

so definitely follow a religion?

CPUd
09-28-2014, 11:16 PM
You should go ahead and run for Governor. I read somewhere that race was wide open.

jmdrake
09-29-2014, 02:37 AM

appreciate any help

Expand your circle of friends, especially among people much older than you. (They vote). Go to community meetings. Volunteer for other people's campaigns. Whether the campaign is successful or not you will learn something. Find out when the county party meetings are and attend. Ask intelligent questions and get yourself known. Find out the easy races to run in. Usually there's some small race that gets little attention where either the republican or the democrat is running unopposed. Find some race like that, get the required signatures and run. The local party leadership will be happy you did and may even give you some modicum of support.

Now, if we as a movement were on our "a-game" we in off years "micro-moneybomb" (cluster-money-bomb?) people like you to give you an advantage is these small races. Really they can be won with enough signs, enough door knocks, robocalls (yes robocalls work and they are better than relying on voluteers to make calls) and maybe a few radio spots.

jmdrake
09-29-2014, 05:22 AM
//

jbauer
09-29-2014, 10:01 AM

You could start here: https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/134479?hl=en

Gives great tips on how to use Google.com

From there you can find out your city/county meetings. There will be a list of who's currently elected. Then, look up the times for the meetings. Go to them. Volunteer.

jbauer
09-29-2014, 10:04 AM
Or here this is a great tool:http://www.giyf.com/

kingtut
09-29-2014, 11:46 AM
Its good when somebody sees some wrongs that need to be righted, some policies that need to be implemented, some values that need to be pushed... and THEN becomes a politician because that the way to get them done.

The OP seems to be going about it backward. Lots of talk about how to be a politician as if that's the end goal, but nary a mention of why.
He'll do well, I suppose.

Natural Citizen
09-29-2014, 12:21 PM
Its good when somebody sees some wrongs that need to be righted, some policies that need to be implemented, some values that need to be pushed... and THEN becomes a politician because that the way to get them done.

The OP seems to be going about it backward. Lots of talk about how to be a politician as if that's the end goal, but nary a mention of why.
He'll do well, I suppose.

Well. I don't know. OP didn't give the impression that it was his end goal. At least not that I can see. That's a good question you bring up, though. Too often we want to talk about changing things but we don't always say what it is that we will attempt to change specifically. I suppose this is the difference between just trying to get elected and trying to change the course of history. These are to com pletely different phenomenon that shouldn't be just thought of in the same context.