PDA

View Full Version : Patriot Insurance - Free market solution to police corruption?

limequat
09-26-2014, 09:29 AM
An idea I had, does this make sense?

In the event that a persons civil rights were violated by a government agency, that person could file a claim with a Patriot Insurance agency.

Let's walk through an example. Say 1M people purchase "Patriot Insurance" at $100 a year. There's an annual kitty of $100m. Say one of the insured was John Crawford III - who was recently executed in Walmart for holding an air rifle- and he had a $50 Million wrongful death clause in his insurance.

Though not quite justice, the Crawford family would get some compensation for their loss. Also, the Patriot Insurance Company would now have a $50million dollar incentive to sue the pants off of the Beaverton police. In fact, since their business model depends on it, they would probably have some pretty fierce lawyers on staff to make sure that they don't loose profits on this scenario.

What if Patriot Insurance Company offered speeding ticket protection? Wherein subscribers had the insurance company pay their traffic tickets? The average person gets 1 ticket every six years to the tune of about $100. That's about a $17m annual expense for Patriot Insurance Company. I bet they would LOVE to get the traffic laws changed to be more fair.

What if Patriot Insurance discovered that there was a high risk of police misconduct at -say- contested Republican conventions. Would it be in the company's best interest to provide armed guards for their subscribers?

invisible
09-26-2014, 09:38 AM
I've been wanting to purchase this sort of "legal insurance" service for a long, long time. Where can I sign up?

Acala
09-26-2014, 09:51 AM
An idea I had, does this make sense?

In the event that a persons civil rights were violated by a government agency, that person could file a claim with a Patriot Insurance agency.

Let's walk through an example. Say 1M people purchase "Patriot Insurance" at $100 a year. There's an annual kitty of $100m. Say one of the insured was John Crawford III - who was recently executed in Walmart for holding an air rifle- and he had a $50 Million wrongful death clause in his insurance.

Though not quite justice, the Crawford family would get some compensation for their loss. Also, the Patriot Insurance Company would now have a $50million dollar incentive to sue the pants off of the Beaverton police. In fact, since their business model depends on it, they would probably have some pretty fierce lawyers on staff to make sure that they don't loose profits on this scenario.

What if Patriot Insurance Company offered speeding ticket protection? Wherein subscribers had the insurance company pay their traffic tickets? The average person gets 1 ticket every six years to the tune of about $100. That's about a $17m annual expense for Patriot Insurance Company. I bet they would LOVE to get the traffic laws changed to be more fair.

What if Patriot Insurance discovered that there was a high risk of police misconduct at -say- contested Republican conventions. Would it be in the company's best interest to provide armed guards for their subscribers?

Of course we already have life insurance that would pay the next of kin for the wrongful death of the insured. And in theory I think the life insurance company already could step into the shoes of the deceased and sue the killer as a form of subrogation. But I have never heard of that happening. I don't know why and I don't see why not. Maybe because being killed by state thugs is still a VERY rare event nobody has thought it worth insuring? Of course that means that the cost would be very low if very many people wanted the coverage.

Here's the problem-insurance is only going to cover harm the insured could not control. So coverage for speeding tickets, which is directly related to voluntary activity, is never going to happen. Insurance companies will not insure damage that you bring on through voluntary conduct. This also might be a problem with the Patriot Insurance you are talking about. An insurance company will probably not insure against you being killed by cops if you are engaged in criminal activity or civil disobedience. Again, insurance covers damage that happens to you by accident or outside your control.

Health "insurance" covers costs from voluntary acts (like pregnancy) but it isn't really insurance anymore.

Anti Federalist
09-26-2014, 12:44 PM
I wonder if life insurance pays out when cops kill innocent people?

Most all policies do not pay for:

active war, declared or undeclared.

Since it is now clear that war has been declared on us...