PDA

View Full Version : Mass shooting hysteria and the death of John Crawford

Anti Federalist
09-25-2014, 12:48 PM
Mass shooting hysteria and the death of John Crawford

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2014/09/25/mass-shooting-hysteria-and-the-death-of-john-crawford/

By Radley Balko September 25 at 1:36 PM

The video below shows the last moments of John Crawford, the Ohio man shot and killed by police in a Wal-Mart last month while he was holding an air rifle. (Editor’s note: The video may be unpleasant for some readers.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=S9FtNOV6Qhk

The video is obviously disturbing, and also casts a lot of doubt on the police version of events. The police have said they shot Crawford only after repeated demands that he drop the rifle. The video strongly suggests that they shot him almost immediately after encountering him. The video also doesn’t show Crawford pointing the gun at anyone. Witness Ronald Ritchie told a 911 dispatcher that Crawford was pointing the gun at children, a claim he repeated to the media. Earlier this month Ritchie changed his story, apparently after viewing the surveillance video above.

More importantly, the video makes clear that Crawford never pointed the gun at police, and strongly suggests they never gave him an opportunity to drop it. The video is also consistent with the story from LeeCee Johnson, the mother of Crawford’s two kids, who was on the phone with him at the time he was shot:

We was just talking. He said he was at the video games playing videos and he went over there by the toy section where the toy guns were. And the next thing I know, he said ‘It’s not real,’ and the police start shooting and they said ‘Get on the ground,’ but he was already on the ground because they had shot him.

Yes, Crawford’s behavior seems a little odd, although we really don’t know why he was carrying the rifle around. Perhaps he was thinking about buying it for his kids. In any case, the penalty for odd behavior isn’t execution.

There are some obvious questions here about police training, most importantly why they fired so quickly and made no attempt at de-escalation. If they had, it seems pretty clear that Crawford would have dropped the gun and would still be alive today. It’s hard to believe that a father of two knowingly provoked police with a pellet rifle. That Crawford was black and the police officers who shot him are white (as is Ritchie) also raises the usual questions about racial bias, both in policing and in our perceptions of criminality.

But the case also raises some important questions about the consequences of how we cover mass shootings. This week, the FBI released a report that claimed to show a significant increase in “active shooter” incidents over the last 10 years.

The report did not claim to show an increase in mass shooting incidents.

Yet that’s how it was widely reported. Over at Reason, Jesse Walker consulted two academics who study mass shootings, Grant Duwe at the Minnesota Department of Corrections, and James Alan Fox, a criminology professor at Northeastern University. Both say the FBI report is a helpful contribution to the discussion, but also insist that it does not show what the media claim it shows.

Public discussion of mass shootings is of course usually draped in the gun-control debate, for obvious reasons. It also inevitably leads to discussions of what cultural factors maybe be causing the alleged increase in mass shootings — identified culprits include video games, violence on TV or in the movies, and the quality of our mental health system, among others — and how to protect against them. That inevitably leads to calls for gun control, but also prescriptions from the right for armed guards in schools, laxer gun laws to allow citizens to fight back, and so on.

But not only is there little evidence that mass shootings are on the rise, they’re also extremely rare, to the point where it may be unreasonable to think they can be prevented with changes in public policy — as Fox and Monica J. DeLateur concluded in their report on the Newtown massacre in the journal Homicide Studies. Of course, it’s difficult to point this out without being seen as callous, indifferent to those affected by these incidents, or shilling for the gun lobby, particularly after a mass shooting. Some of these policies may well be good ideas in and of themselves, but if there’s no evidence mass shootings are on the rise, and there’s no evidence that these policies will reduce them, arguing for them in the context of mass shootings becomes little more than a cynical appeal to emotion.

But there may be unintended consequences to our oversaturated coverage of mass shootings and the widespread belief that they’re increasing, even if neither produces a single new law. In 2010, there was an incident at a Las Vegas-area Costco that bears a striking resemblance to what happened in Ohio. Police gunned down Eric Scott, 38, outside the store after employees complained about the gun he was (legally) carrying. (Though the Costco had a surveillance system, the store claimed that the cameras mysteriously malfunctioned at the time of the shooting.) Scott was a West Point graduate with no criminal record. His family says he may have been agitated when hassled about a gun he was legally permitted to carry, but like Crawford’s family, they find it hard to believe that a guy with no criminal history or emotional problems would have intentionally provoked the police into shooting him.

It isn’t difficult to see how the misconception that mass shootings are becoming ubiquitous might make us see threats and potential mass killers instead of, say, a guy checking out a pellet gun, or a Costco shopper with a legal sidearm. And it isn’t difficult to see how a frightened witness might even exaggerate what he saw to get the police to take him seriously. Last month, the California State University San Marcos campus was put on lockdown and a SWAT team was sent in after someone mistook a staff member carrying an umbrella for a mass shooter. Umbrellas have caused similar lockdowns in Issaquah, Wash.; Fort Washington, Pa.; and Akron, Ohio.We’ve seen other recent lockdowns after cellphones (again here, here, and here), camera tripods (again here), a silver watch, and a folded-up apron were all mistaken for guns; an arm cut was mistaken for a bullet wound; an exploding basketball was mistaken for a gunshot; surveyors and an unarmed jogger were mistaken for gunmen; other various “mistaken identity” errors; and when someone misheard the lyrics to the theme song from “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.”(Yes, really.)

Perhaps these incidents can all be dismissed as a “better safe than sorry” approach. But the consequences get more serious when you start to think about the impact false perceptions about mass shootings might have on police officers. In the debate over police militarization, law enforcement officials and defenders of militarized cops frequently cite mass shooting incidents, particularly school shootings, as a big reason why cops need big guns, armored vehicles, and other battle gear. In truth, as University of Virginia sociologist and school violence scholar Dewey Cornell has pointed out, the average campus can expect to see a homicide about once every several thousand years. But it’s clear that much of the law enforcement community believes that it’s only a matter of time before a mass shooting incident comes to every community in America. And it seems reasonable to ask if those fears may be affecting the way police respond to incidents like those in Las Vegas and Beavercreek.

mrsat_98
10-07-2014, 06:57 AM
http://bearingarms.com/crank-call-walmart-shooting-victims-family-wants-charges-filed-swatter/?utm_source=iacfbp&utm_medium=fbpage&utm_campaign=IAC

John Crawford III was gunned down with little or no warning by Beavercreek, Ohio police last month after a man called 911 and claimed that he was pointing a rifle at shoppers inside a Walmart. Crawford had picked up a BB gun sold by the store and was apparently thinking about purchasing it.

Video clearly shows that the caller, Ronald Ritchie, made claims about Crawford’s actions that simply were not true:

John Crawford III was shot dead last month by an officer responding to an emergency call made by Ronald Ritchie, a shopper standing 100ft away, who repeatedly stated to the dispatcher that Crawford was pointing the air rifle at customers.

Surveillance footage and audio recordings released after a grand jury declined to indict the officer who shot Crawford showed that Crawford was holding the rifle at his side and pointing it to the floor at the time when Ritchie alleged that “he just pointed it at, like, two children”.

Crawford’s father and the family’s attorney said that Ritchie, 24, should be questioned by police over the discrepancy between the footage and his allegation, which he made about 80 seconds before Crawford was shot, and confirmed when asked soon after. Knowingly “making false alarms” is a crime under Ohio law punishable by a fine or jail sentence.

“He was the catalyst, if you will, in the whole sequence of events leading up to my son’s death,” John Crawford Jr told the Guardian. “It was a crank call. He excited the call, and exaggerated the call, and frankly it was just a bunch of lies.”

Ritchie declined to comment in an online message on Friday. He has previously maintained that Crawford posed a threat to shoppers and that the 911 call was justified.

Special prosecutor Mark Piepmeier stressed on Wednesday that the responding police officers were led to understand that Crawford was an active threat. One even called back to the dispatcher to check that the 911 caller said Crawford was pointing the rifle at people. “If he’s not there, we may not be here,” Piepmeier said of Ritchie at a press conference.

To the best we can determine, Ritchie’s 911 call was the only 911 call regarding Crawford, and there were no other 911 calls until after Beavercreek police shot Crawford as he was speaking to the mother of his children, the barrel of the BB gun in his hands pointing at the ground.

A grand jury did not indict the officers who shot Crawford, but the evidence has been handed over to the Department of Justice to determine if a civil rights case is warranted.

both victims

In addition to Crawford’s death, shopper Angela Williams (above, right, in white sweater) had a heart attack and died in the panic after officers shot Crawford. Neither she nor her children seemed fazed by Crawford talking on the phone while holding the BB gun. Williams’s son holds Ritchie responsible for her death as well.

The children who Ritchie appeared to claim were under threat from Crawford were in the store with their mother, Angela Williams. Williams, 37, died of a heart attack in the panic that ensued among customers following the police shooting. “I hope that he’s happy with himself,” her teenage son said of Ritchie in a Facebook post earlier this month.

911 caller Ritchie’s exaggerated call is eerily similar to the kind of call advocated by left-wing radio host Mike Malloy and some Moms Demand Action supporters who apparently want long-gun open carriers shot by police.

kcchiefs6465
12-17-2014, 10:48 AM
Cops killed man at Walmart, then interrogated girlfriend

(CNN) -- After killing a man at an Ohio Walmart, police interrogated his girlfriend, accusing her of lying, threatening her with jail time and suggesting she could be on drugs, according to a video obtained by CNN.

The man, John Crawford III, was holding an air rifle he had picked up off a store shelf when police shot him. A prosecutor called the case a "perfect storm" with "no bad guys," but the family has said police used excessive force.

A grand jury decided not to indict the officer who pulled the trigger in the August 5 shooting at a Walmart store in Beavercreek, Ohio. While the Justice Department investigates the case, Crawford's name -- along with Michael Brown and Eric Garner -- is being chanted by some demonstrators across the country protesting what they say is systemic racism that fuels police violence.

Now, the family's lawyer says the recently released interrogation video shows police were trying to force Crawford's girlfriend to say something to justify what they'd done.

Cops shot man, grilled girlfriend Cops kill man at Walmart carrying toy gun Family sues police, Walmart for shooting No indictment in police shooting death

"This was just an effort to cover up this bad shooting," attorney Michael Wright said.

In the interrogation video, which was first posted on The Guardian's website on Sunday, a police detective repeatedly presses Crawford's tearful girlfriend, asking her where Crawford got the gun he had in the store.

"You understand that we're investigating a serious incident," Detective Rodney Curd says. "You lie to me and you might be on your way to jail."

"I swear to God, on my job, my family, on everything I love," Tasha Thomas replies, telling the detective repeatedly that she never saw Crawford with a weapon and that she'll take a polygraph test to prove it.

As she cries, the detective appears unconvinced.

"Why would he have a gun in the store?" he asks.
"I don't know," she replies.
"Did he carry a gun?" the detective continues.
"Not that I. ... I've never known him to have a gun," she says.

Her response appears to upset the detective.

"Don't tell me, 'not that you know,' because that's the first thing that I realize that somebody's not telling me the truth, when they say that kind of stuff," Curd says.

At one point in the video, Thomas sobs as she buries her head in her hands.

The detective says he'll write down her testimony but then asks whether she's under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

"Your eyes are kind of messed up looking and you seem a little lethargic at times," he says, "and I don't know if it's because you're upset or not. I just want to make sure what's going on."

It's not until the end of the 90-minute interrogation that Thomas learns her boyfriend has died.

"Well, to let you know, John has passed away as a result of this," the detective says.

Thomas sinks back in her chair and puts her hands on her head.

"I don't know any other way to tell you," Curd says. "What happened there wasn't a good thing and as a result of his actions, he is gone."

Detective: 'I was very direct in my questions'

Police have not responded to several requests from CNN for comment on the video. In a statement officials released in September, Curd describes his questioning of Thomas at the police department.

"The initial information I had was that (Crawford) may have brought a gun into the store with him. So I was very direct in my questions that I was having problems believing she would have not seen him bring a gun into the store," he wrote. "She became emotional during the interview and started crying, saying that she is not lying, she will take a lie detector test and do whatever she needs to do."

In his report, Curd wrote that it was only later when he was at the Walmart that he learned where the gun came from.

"I also learned while on scene that the rifle involved was a pellet gun that was taken from a box while he was inside the store," he wrote. "This would also agree with the statement that she made that he did not take any type of firearm out of her car into the store with him."

Wright on Tuesday said his legal team filed a federal civil lawsuit against two police officers; Beavercreek's police chief; the city of Beavercreek and its police department; and Walmart.

The Crawford family is seeking at least $75,000 in compensatory damages and an unstated amount for punitive damages, the suit said.

The family alleges, among other things, that the police officers did not do due diligence to determine that Wright wasn't a threat; that the officers didn't give him enough time to put down the weapon; and that Walmart was negligent because the air rifle had been resting on a shelf, unpackaged, for at least two days, the family's lawyers said Tuesday.

Wright said police knew Crawford didn't have a firearm when he walked into the Walmart.

"He was not an imminent threat to anyone. He was just shopping," he said.

After the grand jury decided in September not to indict the police officers who were involved in the shooting, prosecutor Mark Piepmeier said a
"perfect storm of circumstances" led to Crawford's death and noted that the air gun bore a strong resemblance to an actual automatic weapon.
"It is very hard to tell the difference," Piepmeier said.

Police responded to the scene after a witness called 911 and told dispatchers that Crawford was walking around with a rifle and "waving it back and forth."

According to police, when officers arrived, Crawford did not comply with their commands to drop his weapon. And the Crawford family's lawyers say police didn't give him enough time to put down the weapon.

But Wright said that because Crawford was black, police made assumptions.

"The officers ran into an aisle, saw a black man with what they perceived to be a gun, and shot him on sight," he said.

The interrogation video, he said, shows how police handled the case from day one.

"They, in their mind, had it made up that Mr. Crawford was a criminal, and they proceeded based on that without doing anything to independently corroborate what was actually happening in the store," he said. "And they tried to cover it up by interrogating Miss Thomas in such a manner to try to get her to make a statement that would justify them shooting and killing Mr. Crawford that evening."

hxxp://www.cnn.com/2014/12/16/justice/walmart-shooting-john-crawford/index.html?hpt=ju_c1

Video of interrogation at link.

morfeeis
12-17-2014, 10:57 AM
hxxp://www.cnn.com/2014/12/16/justice/walmart-shooting-john-crawford/index.html?hpt=ju_c1

Video of interrogation at link.

"I don't know any other way to tell you," Curd says. "What happened there wasn't a good thing and as a result of his actions, he is gone."

I'm almost there, this case, their words, these fucking scum bags......

Weston White
12-17-2014, 12:37 PM
Geez, I had not been aware there was a second subsequent death as a result of this protecting and serving. A two-fer-one-bubba-so-badazz bonus for the policeman, promotions all around w00t!

morfeeis
12-17-2014, 04:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp49Q_sjjjM

Anti Federalist
02-18-2018, 01:01 AM
Relevant bump