PDA

View Full Version : Liberal Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Explains Why She Won’t Retire

aGameOfThrones
09-24-2014, 10:36 AM
For the last year, liberals have called on Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg to step down from the high court so that President Obama can appoint her successor, fearing that if a Republican becomes president in January 2017, Ginsburg’s seat will go to a conservative and the already conservative court will move further to the right.

But in a rare interview with Elle magazine, the liberal-leaning justice and women's rights icon said she’s not going anywhere. And she explained why.

It comes down to the Senate, Ginsburg told Elle’s Jessica Weisberg.

Newsweek Magazine is Back In Print

Who do you think President Obama could appoint at this very day, given the boundaries that we have? If I resign any time this year, he could not successfully appoint anyone I would like to see in the court. [The Senate Republicans] took off the filibuster for lower federal court appointments, but it remains for this court. So anybody who thinks that if I step down, Obama could appoint someone like me, they’re misguided. As long as I can do the job full steam…. I think I’ll recognize when the time comes that I can’t any longer. But now I can.

Ginsburg’s point is that even though Democrats control the White House and the Senate, Republicans can still block a nominee to the Supreme Court that they feel is too liberal. As she reminds those calling for her to step down, when Senate Democrats reformed the filibuster rules last year so that they could confirm judicial appointments with a simple majority vote, they made an exception for Supreme Court nominees, who would still need a 60-vote majority to break a filibuster.

http://www.newsweek.com/ruth-bader-ginsburg-explains-why-she-wont-retire-272876

Ronin Truth
09-24-2014, 10:41 AM
Hang in there, Ruthie. Senility is no reason to retire. Is this a great system or what?

specsaregood
09-24-2014, 10:47 AM
And wasn't the whole reason for a lifetime term for SC justices intended to keep political influences out of the courtroom? Since she has just as much admitted that she is staying specifically for political party reasons, perhaps its time to do away with that notion and impose term limits upon them.

FSP-Rebel
09-24-2014, 11:12 AM
She's a true believer even until death. No retiring and enjoying oneself when there's a Constitution that needs destroying.

acesfull
09-24-2014, 11:12 AM
SC jurist should be forced out at 67 years of age, just like most US citizens are forced from their positions.

My.02

Acesfull

aGameOfThrones
09-24-2014, 11:26 AM
SC jurist should be forced out at 67 years of age, just like most US citizens are forced from their positions.

My.02

Acesfull

I think a decade term would be enough.

thoughtomator
09-24-2014, 11:36 AM
And wasn't the whole reason for a lifetime term for SC justices intended to keep political influences out of the courtroom? Since she has just as much admitted that she is staying specifically for political party reasons, perhaps its time to do away with that notion and impose term limits upon them.

Read between the lines. The GOP in the Senate can't ultimately stop a SCOTUS nomination - they don't have the votes since Harry went nuclear. Ginsburg doesn't want Obama to name her successor.

ctiger2
09-24-2014, 12:09 PM
She needs a raise.

Acala
09-24-2014, 12:58 PM
Read between the lines. The GOP in the Senate can't ultimately stop a SCOTUS nomination - they don't have the votes since Harry went nuclear. Ginsburg doesn't want Obama to name her successor.

Or maybe she just loves being royalty and doesn't want to give it up? They almost had to carry Rehnquist out in a box.

T.hill
09-24-2014, 01:14 PM

They eliminated filibusters for lower-court appointees. She correctly points out that senate Republicans could still filibuster her potential successor.

acptulsa
09-24-2014, 01:30 PM
They eliminated filibusters for lower-court appointees. She correctly points out that senate Republicans could still filibuster her potential successor.

Does she anticipate Obama eliminating that check and balance by executive fiat? Or is she too dense to realize that can still happen when she's dead?

No, I have to give her a tiny bit of credit. I think thoughtomator is right. She doesn't want a neocon to appoint her successor. Maybe she has a tiny bit of faith in us.

specsaregood
09-24-2014, 01:32 PM
No, I have to give her a tiny bit of credit. I think thoughtomator is right. She doesn't want a neocon to appoint her successor. Maybe she has a tiny bit of faith in us.

thoughtomator does present an interesting notion. however, you are defaulting to the faith aspect. I propose that instead of "not wanting a neocon to appoint her successor" perhaps she thinks Hillary will be the next president and wants her successor to be appointed by the first woman president, even a neocon one.

thoughtomator
09-24-2014, 01:32 PM
Yep. Ginsburg may be a hard lefty, but she has shown clear signs of not being happy at all with the surveillance/police state and the resulting totalitarianism.

thoughtomator
09-24-2014, 01:35 PM
some reading material along those lines:

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/04/supreme-court-ruth-bader-ginsburg-antonin-scalia-105807.html
http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2014/05/02/excerpts-from-wsj-interview-with-justice-ruth-bader-ginsburg/

dillo
09-24-2014, 01:57 PM
Is anyone on SCOTUS really worth keeping? I have read some really brilliant stuff by Thomas and Scalia, but some absolutely dreadful ones as well.

jllundqu
09-24-2014, 02:00 PM
This is the same Ginsberg who thinks that countries seeking to draft their own constitutions should NOT use the U.S. as a model, since it uses negative rights and restricts the government. She, instead, feels that these aspiring countries should follow South Africa's style constitution which grants government unlimited power.

Man, I hope this country wakes the hell up... not holding my breath. We are only one SC justice away from absolute and total tyranny. All these 5/4 votes would be a thing of the past if the balance of power shifted.

I mean, Jesus, freakin SCOTUS was a 5/4 split on whether or not the 2nd amendment applied to citizens to protect themselves or just militias... (Heller)

We are dead as a country folks.

Ronin Truth
09-24-2014, 02:46 PM
This is the same Ginsberg who thinks that countries seeking to draft their own constitutions should NOT use the U.S. as a model, since it uses negative rights and restricts the government. She, instead, feels that these aspiring countries should follow South Africa's style constitution which grants government unlimited power.

Man, I hope this country wakes the hell up... not holding my breath. We are only one SC justice away from absolute and total tyranny. All these 5/4 votes would be a thing of the past if the balance of power shifted.

I mean, Jesus, freakin SCOTUS was a 5/4 split on whether or not the 2nd amendment applied to citizens to protect themselves or just militias... (Heller)

We are dead as a country folks.

Relax! The fix is in, as usual. The SCOTUS has been playing this same old tired drama queen 5/4 decision antics charade, for decades now. :rolleyes:

Brian4Liberty
09-24-2014, 02:58 PM

Yeah, it seems to me that she has admitted to a violation of the intent, if not the letter of the specs for her position. But of course her basic belief is that the law is nothing more than a tool for the elite to rule the mundanes, and not the other way around.

Brian4Liberty
09-24-2014, 03:02 PM
thoughtomator does present an interesting notion. however, you are defaulting to the faith aspect. I propose that instead of "not wanting a neocon to appoint her successor" perhaps she thinks Hillary will be the next president and wants her successor to be appointed by the first woman president, even a neocon one.

War on women!

Ruth Bader Ginsburg: Her Dream is to see a All-Female Supreme Court (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?396842-Ruth-Bader-Ginsburg-Her-Dream-is-to-see-a-All-Female-Supreme-Court)

Ronin Truth
09-24-2014, 03:12 PM
War on women!

Ruth Bader Ginsburg: Her Dream is to see a All-Female Supreme Court (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?396842-Ruth-Bader-Ginsburg-Her-Dream-is-to-see-a-All-Female-Supreme-Court)

How bad could it be? Would they just screw it all up? How would we be able to tell the difference?

Brian4Liberty
09-24-2014, 03:36 PM
How bad could it be? Would they just screw it all up? How would we be able to tell the difference?

No idea what the difference would be. Would they favor Hitlary's authoritarianism if she was President?

You'd have to ask Ginsberg what would be different. It's her idea.

Ronin Truth
09-24-2014, 03:44 PM
No idea what the difference would be. Would they favor Hitlary's authoritarianism if she was President?

You'd have to ask Ginsberg what would be different. It's her idea. Well nine old male geezers sure has never been freedom, peace and prosperity Nirvana. :p

thoughtomator
09-24-2014, 04:10 PM
We are only one SC justice away from absolute and total tyranny.

We are zero SC justices away from absolute and total tyranny.

TaftFan
09-24-2014, 04:21 PM
Good. That at least gives us a chance Rand could replace her.

RandallFan
09-24-2014, 04:30 PM
SCALIA: No, of course, I would not like to be replaced by someone who immediately sets about undoing everything that I've tried to do for 25 years, 26 years, sure. I mean, I shouldn't have to tell you that. Unless you think I'm a fool.

SCALIA: No immediate, no immediate -- no immediate thoughts about it, no. My wife doesn't want me hanging around the house, I know that.

http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/fox-news-sunday-chris-wallace/2012/07/29/justice-antonin-scalia-issues-facing-scotus-and-country#p//v/1760654457001

Rand should hit McCain on his support for Ginsburg and others. I think in 2000 he touted it when Bush ran to the right of him.

LibForestPaul
09-24-2014, 05:23 PM
She's a true believer even until death. No retiring and enjoying oneself when there's a Constitution that needs destroying.
Do you think the ones in power are also being played? I never thought those at the top believed their own bull. If so, there is some incredibly psyops being played.

Anti Federalist
09-24-2014, 06:06 PM
Clowns in Gowns.