PDA

View Full Version : Gov. Malloy's Sandy Hook commission pushing for increased controls over homeschoolers

XNavyNuke
09-24-2014, 08:16 AM
I'd normally place this in Education, but since its more fallout from Sandy Hook I thought GP would be appropriate.

Panel Suggests Changes To Homeschool Oversight (http://www.ctnewsjunkie.com/archives/entry/panel_suggests_changes_to_homeschool_oversight)

Gov. Dannel P. Malloy created the group more than a year and a half ago in response to the murders of 20 school children and six educators at an elementary school in Newtown. He charged the panel— made up of experts in education, mental health, law enforcement, and emergency response — with making recommendations to reduce the risk of future tragedies.

I guess every homeschooler is a future tragedy to education professionals and security experts.

“Continuation of homeschooling should be contingent upon approval of [individualized education plans] and adequate progress as documented” in progress reports, Susan Schmeiser, a professor of mental health law at the University of Connecticut Law School, said as she summarized the proposal.

“We believe it is very germaine,” he said. “The facts leading up to [the Newtown shooting] support the notion of the risk in not addressing the social, emotional, learning needs of children who may have significant needs in that area when homeschooled.”

Adam Lanza, the 20-year-old perpetrator of the 2012 shooting, was homeschooled for years and suffered from social and behavioral problems.

The panel is recommending establishing risk assessment teams in schools to intervene if a student appears to be at risk. Jackson said the teams will include social workers, law enforcement officers, teachers and others.

No doubt the "Teams" will have access to the DOD 1033 program, for safety, of course.

XNN

moostraks
09-24-2014, 08:47 AM
Homeschoolers are a very real threat to the authoritarian state. The shot across the bow was Ohio. They showed their cards as to where the war was headed and assessed response from the hs community and liberty lovers at large. It was not something that they could drop wide scale upon the public after such backlash and thus implement nationwide immediately. Sooo they reassessed and decided to use a bigger tragedy and will weasel to see if they can get a toehold. Tptb have plenty of money and time on their side. All they need is the right crisis to implement their program. The pessimistic side of me guesses it is only a matter of time for this surveillance of hs to become a nationwide practice.