PDA

View Full Version : Will Univision Debate be in English?

Matt Collins
12-02-2007, 07:36 PM
Will there be any English audio for the upcoming Univision Debate?

Visual
12-02-2007, 07:41 PM
If I recall from what I heard of the democratic debate, the questions are asked in spanish, translated to english for the debaters, they answer in english, which is then translated back to spanish.

So we should be able to hear RP speaking. Wether we will know the question, i'm not sure if they say the translated english out loud or if it's done by ear piece.

voytechs
12-02-2007, 07:44 PM
I know Tancredo won't be there, but I'd love to see Toncredo try to explain his immigration policy in Spanish to a bunch of Mexicans :D:D:D:D:D. That would be hilarious. LOL!:p

JMO
12-02-2007, 07:48 PM
When the Democrats was on Univision I couldn't hear a thing the candidates said, the sound of the candidates was so low, and the Spanish translator drown out anything the candidate was saying. I changed the channel after about 3 minutes because I came to the conclusion if I couldn't understand Spanish I wasn't going to understand anything.

There was no subtitles in the democrat debate on Univision.

francisco
12-02-2007, 07:51 PM
I know Tancredo won't be there, but I'd love to see Toncredo try to explain his immigration policy in Spanish to a bunch of Mexicans :D:D:D:D:D. That would be hilarious. LOL!:p

Tancredo won't be there?!?

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you!

That's something I would pay to see. Help, I can't stop laughing.

Paulitician
12-02-2007, 07:52 PM
I can understand Spanish somewhat but it was still way too hard to understand what the candidates were saying either in English or in Spanish. I'll try my best to sit through it though.

10thAmendmentMan
12-02-2007, 08:03 PM
I'm sure some hispano-hablantes will be happy to translate it after-the-fact, but I doubt anyone can translate and type fast enough to keep up in real-time.

freedominnumbers
12-02-2007, 08:09 PM
It'll be a good debate. Fox will do their own translations.

"What is Ron Paul saying Sean?" "Well Alan if my translation is correct, it seems Ron Paul wants to put all the elderly on the street and end education for children."

AlexMerced
12-02-2007, 08:20 PM
Luckily I know Spanish, I'm excited to see the questions, I think Ron Paul has a good chance of Pwning in this debate.

walt
12-02-2007, 08:52 PM
Can I be the first person to write about a translation conspiracy theory? :D

Matt Collins
12-02-2007, 08:55 PM
but I doubt anyone can translate and type fast enough to keep up in real-time.Uhh - every nightly news is closed captioned in real time. So are court transcripts.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stenography

lasenorita
12-02-2007, 08:56 PM
Why not have a Spanish-English translator come on RonPaulRadio.com the night of the debate?

Matt Collins
12-02-2007, 08:57 PM
I know Tancredo won't be there, but I'd love to see Toncredo try to explain his immigration policy in Spanish to a bunch of Mexicans :D:D:D:D:D. That would be hilarious. LOL!:pMost Hispanics on America's east coast are from Puerto Rico, or legal Cuban immigrants, not illegal Mexicans.

Matt Collins
12-08-2007, 08:31 PM
So what's the verdict on this?

unconsious767
12-08-2007, 08:43 PM
There may be english audio on the SAP which almost every television nowadays has. I made a thread earlier which should maybe be stickied:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=49908&highlight=debate

jasonoliver
12-08-2007, 08:48 PM
I think the whole idea of this debate is ridiculous.

Hardly any legal citizens are going to be watching this. I think Ron Paul should not attend. No pandering to illegals who cannot vote (legally) anyway.

devil21
12-08-2007, 08:49 PM
Most Hispanics on America's east coast are from Puerto Rico, or legal Cuban immigrants, not illegal Mexicans.

Where did you come up with that?? There's about 30 houses down the street from mine with no less than 6 hispanics per house (some probably around 10) and I doubt they are all Puerto Rican or Cuban.

jasonoliver
12-08-2007, 08:55 PM
Where did you come up with that?? There's about 30 houses down the street from mine with no less than 6 hispanics per house (some probably around 10) and I doubt they are all Puerto Rican or Cuban.

The difference is most Illegal Mexicans want to be Mexicans living in America. They march in parades waving the Mexican flag and think that America owes them something.

Puerto Ricans are already citizens.

Cubans for the most part LOVE America. I know a Cuban family which simply refuses to have their children speak Spanish in America. I don't see them marching in parades demanding Amnesty & free candy. I don't see them waving the cuban flag.

AtomiC
12-08-2007, 09:06 PM
The difference is most Illegal Mexicans want to be Mexicans living in America. They march in parades waving the Mexican flag and think that America owes them something.

Puerto Ricans are already citizens.

Cubans for the most part LOVE America. I know a Cuban family which simply refuses to have their children speak Spanish in America. I don't see them marching in parades demanding Amnesty & free candy. I don't see them waving the cuban flag.

Right on dude, Cubans indeed do love America very much. I've lived down in Miami for years and Cubans are probably the most passionate Hispanics you could ever meet.

They take politics very seriously for the most part and many will probably watch the Univision debate. Lets hope Ron Paul has a good showing.

atilla
12-08-2007, 09:25 PM
Right on dude, Cubans indeed do love America very much. I've lived down in Miami for years and Cubans are probably the most passionate Hispanics you could ever meet.

They take politics very seriously for the most part and many will probably watch the Univision debate. Lets hope Ron Paul has a good showing.

unfortunately most are stridently anti-castro and ron paul has already said he wants to end the trade embargo on cuba. now they would most likely be happy for the end of the travel ban so they can visit relatives. but i doubt they would be happy to see the end of the trade embargo and the end of "wet foot, dry foot" immigration. (cubans have special dispensation that no one else has, one foot on dry U.S. ground means automatic asylum. ron paul has said many times he supports equal treatment in immigration)

merlin
12-08-2007, 09:35 PM
I have tenants in a rental property who are legal Mexican immigrants. But the message on their telephone answering equipment is in Spanish. I'm sure there are many legal immigrant voters who would enjoy a Spanish-language version of a presidential debate.

KingTheoden
12-08-2007, 09:36 PM
I think Ron Paul should go to this. It will be a great opportunity to show that his non-interventionist foreign policy would carry over into Latin America (i.e., we would no longer prop up a bunch of dictators, oligarchs, etc. and would no longer be in the business of dispatching troops to guard Dole fruit plantations). Remember, our government keeps the oligopoly in business in Mexico City. Were it a free nation, it would likely be among the most prosperous because of its resources, labor, and moral society.

nbhadja
12-08-2007, 09:36 PM

I live in Florida, they are mostly legal in this state. Cubans and Puerto Ricans make up most of the Hispanics here. Few mexicans.

Chibioz
12-08-2007, 09:37 PM
A debate for American president.. in spanish? just kinda makes my head whirl. Hopefully it isn't as crappy as the PBS debate, which obviously pandered to blacks and ignored other issues.

Mithridates
12-08-2007, 10:02 PM
I think the whole idea of this debate is ridiculous.

Hardly any legal citizens are going to be watching this. I think Ron Paul should not attend. No pandering to illegals who cannot vote (legally) anyway.

Puerto Rico = 4 million people who can't vote, but can legally donate. That alone would make the debate worth it.

Geronimo
12-08-2007, 10:05 PM
Why not have a Spanish-English translator come on RonPaulRadio.com the night of the debate?
That's a damn fine idea.

itsnobody
12-08-2007, 10:34 PM
No it won't...here's what the Democrat Univision debate was like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XmgSNEWtlM

AlexMerced
12-08-2007, 10:46 PM
No it won't...here's what the Democrat Univision debate was like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XmgSNEWtlM

haha, I forgot that guy worked fornivision, he makessense as the moderator, havn't heard spanish in awhile since I'm finishing up college

devil21
12-08-2007, 10:46 PM
If you mute the tv and are really good at lip reading then it will be in english :)

Matt Collins
12-09-2007, 07:59 AM
If you mute the tv and are really good at lip reading then it will be in english :)

We know that from his previous profession, Dr. Paul is really good at reading lips! :D

(yes, I just went there) :p

Matt Collins
12-09-2007, 08:01 AM
Where did you come up with that?? There's about 30 houses down the street from mine with no less than 6 hispanics per house (some probably around 10) and I doubt they are all Puerto Rican or Cuban.Most Hispanics in NY are Puerto Rican. Most in Florida are either PR or Cuban.

Matt Collins
12-09-2007, 08:03 AM
Cubans for the most part LOVE America. I know a Cuban family which simply refuses to have their children speak Spanish in America. I don't see them marching in parades demanding Amnesty & free candy. I don't see them waving the cuban flag.Yeah - Cubans are VERY much like most of our ancestors from Europe 100 years ago or whatever who wanted to "mainstream" into the US. I have some neighbors who were my best friends growing up and not only were they not taught Spanish, they were forbidden to speak it, and their dad told them when asked their race they were to put "American".

Patriot
12-09-2007, 08:13 AM
Link to live stream (in Spanish)

http://www.univision.com/content/content.jhtml?cid=1276495

Oliver
12-09-2007, 08:15 AM
Link to live stream (in Spanish)

http://www.univision.com/content/content.jhtml?cid=1276495

Woohoo! :D Thank you for providing the link to the Spanish stream - and
if someone knows a stream to the untranslated stream as well: let us know. :)

OptionsTrader
12-09-2007, 10:33 AM
There have been political debates in this country for legal citizens in the languages of French, Italian, and German among others. Anyone in this thread that is against this debate simply because it is in another language needs to think about why they are so opposed to a debate in a different language.

Real_CaGeD
12-09-2007, 10:43 AM
what time is the debate?

n/m 7 est

Revolutn
12-09-2007, 10:54 AM
AlexMerced, would you be able to post a thread or maybe phone into ronpaulradio and provide a translation this evening?

I saw you say you understand Spanish earlier in this thread.

Jwaksman
12-09-2007, 11:01 AM
Guys, it's all going to be in English. Chill out.

Do people remember the absurd obsession with this at the Democratic spanish language debate? All of the other candidates were worried that Bill Richardson would have an advantage since he spoke fluent spanish. So at one point he heard the question in spanish and didn't wait for the translation, and just started answering in spanish. The moderator immediately cut him off and demanded that he stop speaking spanish.

Since none of the Republicans speak fluent spanish, this won't even be an issue. The questions will be asked in spanish, then asked again in English. The candidates will answer in english, and their answers will then be translated in spanish. The only interesting thing to me will be how the translator changes his voice for the different candidates - will he/she use the same intonation when Dr. Paul makes an impassioned plea to end the war as he/she does when Huck or Fred are going on folksy yarns?

Revolutn
12-09-2007, 11:07 AM
Guys, it's all going to be in English. Chill out.

Do people remember the absurd obsession with this at the Democratic spanish language debate? All of the other candidates were worried that Bill Richardson would have an advantage since he spoke fluent spanish. So at one point he heard the question in spanish and didn't wait for the translation, and just started answering in spanish. The moderator immediately cut him off and demanded that he stop speaking spanish.

Since none of the Republicans speak fluent spanish, this won't even be an issue. The questions will be asked in spanish, then asked again in English. The candidates will answer in english, and their answers will then be translated in spanish. The only interesting thing to me will be how the translator changes his voice for the different candidates - will he/she use the same intonation when Dr. Paul makes an impassioned plea to end the war as he/she does when Huck or Fred are going on folksy yarns?

Actually, have you watched the video of the Democratic Univision debate?

If you had/ve you would know why we're all discussing the matter.

It's because you can not hear the english question being asked and the spanish translator is talking over the candidates english answer and his audio is very hot while the candidate is very muted.

Rev