PDA

View Full Version : PBS The Roosevelts

cindy25
09-21-2014, 05:38 PM
has anyone else watched this? (easily available on torrents and filehosts)

it is very worthwhile, and the similarities in style between Obama and FDR are scary, especially the leading behind with regard to the war.

heavenlyboy34
09-21-2014, 05:49 PM
Well, at least FDR's war smacked a little bit of legal-enough so that people can still point at it and pretend it was a "Good War". I highly doubt anyone will look back fondly at the Obama regime's imperialist games.

XNavyNuke
09-21-2014, 07:03 PM
Been watching it with my kids. I thought the backstory on the third term was interesting.
XNN

green73
09-21-2014, 07:09 PM
Is it revisionist? Or is it typical PBS state stenography?

Cutlerzzz
09-21-2014, 07:11 PM
Did it mention their shared fondness and liberal use of concentration camps?

NorthCarolinaLiberty
09-21-2014, 08:07 PM
I would somewhat agree with this person's view of Ken Burns as a popular historian looking more to achieve consensus rather than a true exploration of history. Burns does some nice things with a lens, but it's still entertainment for the population-at-large.

Professional history typically rejects the mythmaking of popular history.

...popular history, in contrast [to professional history], is far more artistic and ceremonial in approach. It is usually consensus-oriented, narrative and biographical in structure, and intended to link producers and audiences in a mainly affirming relationship based on the immediate experience they share together around the characters and events of their cultural past. Most surprising today, the highest-profile examples of popular history in America originate on prime-time television, and many of these made-for-TV histories eventually find their way into the country’s classrooms as tools to help stimulate learning.

http://ww2.odu.edu/ao/instadv/quest/KenBurns.html