PDA

View Full Version : War taxes and reinstatement of the draft proposed.

navy-vet
09-21-2014, 05:32 PM
http://time.com/3403976/rangel-draft-tax/
Charlie is again afoot! :rolleyes:

cindy25
09-21-2014, 05:33 PM
its the topic on Fox news Political insiders, now

Zippyjuan
09-21-2014, 08:28 PM
Read his reasons which make sense.

While I am optimistic about our Commander-in-Chief’s strategy to defeat the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, I voted against the Continuing Appropriations Resolution 2015 that would grant the President the authority to provide funds to train and arm Syrian rebels against the enemy. I opposed the amendment because I strongly believe amassing additional debt to go to war should involve all of America debating the matter. That is why I have called for levying a war tax in addition to bringing back the military draft. Both the war surcharge and conscription will give everyone in America a real stake in any decision on going to war, and compel the public to think twice before they make a commitment to send their loved ones into harm’s way.

oyarde
09-21-2014, 08:34 PM
Well , I will not have to pay a war tax , because nobody declares war. I would though , check off a war tax deduction of my present taxes if it was available .

Zippyjuan
09-21-2014, 08:59 PM
Which is the idea. If people see a direct tax to pay for war or face the risks of themselves or sons or daughters of having to go fight it, they will not be as quick to support military actions. If their taxes don't go up and just kids who "want to" (the "volunteer army") they don't care nearly as much.

ClydeCoulter
09-21-2014, 09:19 PM
Not new thinking. But...there are those already opposed to these wars that might face sending their kids, and Canada might not take them easily, this time, to escape. It's crap, just like before.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
09-21-2014, 09:54 PM

You left out the rest of what he said:

...everyone should share the sacrifices instead of the small few who are already carrying that burden.

I have been calling for the reinstatement of the draft because our military personnel and their families bear a tremendous cost...

...we should all come together in defense of our nation, not just one percent of America.

ISIS militants are a real threat.

They [ISIS] have already killed two American journalists. [LOL]

We must share the burden in diminishing their impact to our national security.

Containing their spread will help America and our allies to feel safe whether at home or abroad.

In other words: We're running out of dumbasses. With my proposal--you too, can be a loser!

thoughtomator
09-21-2014, 09:56 PM
If you want the war taxes, then you must want the war.

oyarde
09-21-2014, 09:59 PM
[QUOTE=NorthCarolinaLiberty;5654595]You left out the rest of what he said:
Good Time Charlie
hoping for tax increases and slavery for all .

TheCount
09-21-2014, 10:07 PM
I do think that forcing the people to actually pay for a war would prevent war.

oyarde
09-21-2014, 10:20 PM

Maybe , but we do not have wars .

thoughtomator
09-21-2014, 10:23 PM

War financing doesn't actually work that way.

TheCount
09-21-2014, 10:36 PM
War financing doesn't actually work that way.

Government financing as a whole doesn't work that way. Joe watching CNN report that we launched 500 tomahawks at country XYZ doesn't feel like he is going to have to pay the $2 billion that the government just spent in an hour. If he did, his opinion on military intervention might change.

Lucille
09-22-2014, 09:42 AM

Of course they make sense to you progs. Slavers gonna slave.

jbauer
09-22-2014, 09:42 AM

I've been an advocate for this for years. Course we can't have "get out of jail cards" for the rich and connected for either the tax or the draft. If we all had to throw in some money to fight we'd be a heck of a lot less likley to do so.

Just imagine tell in all those Red kookaid folks that we're going to start deducting $250 from their social security check to fight ISIS. We'd be done fighting today. Its way to easy to go to war when we don't feel any pain or loss of "our" family members.

Lucille
09-22-2014, 09:50 AM
http://www.lewrockwell.com/2005/07/anthony-gregory/conscription-is-slavery/

The draft is a form of slavery. There is no way around it. Compelling a person to work for the state is involuntary servitude. Forcing a person to fight, kill, and possibly die in a war — and threatening resisters with imprisonment and deserting conscripts with death — is a particularly immoral brand of enslavement, and it is murder for all conscripts who do not survive the war.
[...]
The draft is among the greatest of all crimes the modern western state inflicts upon “its” own people. For all of one’s liberty to be stolen, to have to serve the state even at the cost of one’s own life, is a far greater injustice to face than a tax increase or a new burdensome regulation — as horrible as the latter policies are to one’s liberty and property. If someone cannot own himself, all other property rights become moot. When his liberty is seized for the purpose of killing, wretched insult and injury are only added to the grave injustice of compelled labor.

https://www.lewrockwell.com/1970/01/ron-paul/no-conscription/

Mr. Speaker, I hope my colleagues who believe that the current war on terrorism justifies violating the liberty of millions of young men by reinstating a military draft will consider the eloquent argument against conscription in the attached speech by Daniel Webster. Then-representative Webster delivered his remarks on the floor of the House in opposition to a proposal to institute a draft during the War of 1812. Webster’s speech remains one of the best statements of the Constitutional and moral case against conscription.

Acala
09-22-2014, 12:43 PM
The income tax has ALWAYS been a war tax.
Never noticed it stopping any wars.

idiom
09-22-2014, 12:52 PM

So slavers should stick to slaving in secret? Or should they have to operate with great big neon signs?

thoughtomator
09-22-2014, 12:59 PM
Government financing as a whole doesn't work that way. Joe watching CNN report that we launched 500 tomahawks at country XYZ doesn't feel like he is going to have to pay the $2 billion that the government just spent in an hour. If he did, his opinion on military intervention might change.

That's a modern change from the historical standard, to fund regular operations of government by printing money. In contrast, war funding is almost always done by printing money. Inflation is directly correlated with being at war for the entirety of US history prior to the Vietnam War. If we are to read the inflation charts in the same way, we have been continuously at war since 1964.

Lucille
09-22-2014, 02:38 PM
So slavers should stick to slaving in secret? Or should they have to operate with great big neon signs?

I don't even know what that's supposed to mean.

Christian Liberty
09-22-2014, 02:43 PM

I'm obviously nowhere near a prog. It does "make sense" in that it might work utilitarian wise (in other words, it might achieve the intended goal of making the electorate more anti-war). But really, that's like saying that slavery is morally justified even if there's a utilitarian gain to be made. It isn't.

Danke
09-22-2014, 02:51 PM

Two peas in a pod showing once again their true colors.

Taxes already go to war fighting. This is just calling for more taxes, more penalties for the productive.

Miss Annie
09-22-2014, 02:54 PM
I have a girlfriend (who is also a vet) say something once that I found intriguing. She said that reinstating the draft was the only way to wake the people up to pay attention to what the government was actually doing. I am not pro tax or pro draft, but what she said was definitely intriguing.

Christian Liberty
09-22-2014, 02:56 PM
I have a girlfriend (who is also a vet) say something once that I found intriguing. She said that reinstating the draft was the only way to wake the people up to pay attention to what the government was actually doing. I am not pro tax or pro draft, but what she said was definitely intriguing.

She is almost certainly correct. That's why Vietnam had as much protest as it did, and why Iraq had as little as it did. That said, I still think that everyone who supports the draft is a scumbag, just like I think everyone who supports enslaving people is a scumbag. Its really the same thing.

Acala
09-22-2014, 03:04 PM

Reinstating the draft to include ALL voters, maybe. Just drafting kids doesn't hurt enough fast enough.

Lucille
09-22-2014, 03:16 PM
Stop Suggesting Conscription As the Fix for American Militarism
http://antiwar.com/blog/2013/05/09/the-draft-doesnt-end-war/

This column contains the same sentiments about the draft advocated by Gen. McChrystal, Ricks, and (incessantly) Congressman Rangel. Namely, if everyone, black white rich poor (now) men women, suffered the effects of war together, people would stop fighting them so damned often. (Sirota even uses Dwight Elliott Stone, the last man forced into Vietnam, to cement his case that the draft should menace everyone. Poor Stone apparently grew to embrace this idea years after trying desperately to evade conscription.)

The idea that the draft would stop perpetual war is tempting to consider for a minute. After all, wasn’t it that sword of Damocles hanging over every middle class kid that finally made Americans say enough was enough during Vietnam? Isn’t it worth a try?

No. Because you don’t end mass-murder by enslaving enough people to maybe, eventually, piss off the masses.
[...]
Experiment. The implication that not enslaving men aged 19-26 is a fluke, tried, and now to be discarded. Never mind Richard Nixon, or the military, or anyone else’s motives in lifting the threat of military service off of the general population in order to make war “an abstraction.” Consider the definition of the draft — the mandate that you serve the government in the most servile fashion. You are more directly the hand of the state than in any other job.

And you may die. In Vietnam, 30 percent of the men killed were drafted (around 17,000 people). Countless men also signed up knowing they were going to be forced into the armed forces, in order to pick the least loathsome choice of branch. To say nothing of 2 million Vietnamese killed during the war, look how many American men were sacrificed and how many — men and women, if Rangel had his way — would it take next time in order to stop the next war?

Ostensibly Sirota’s motivations for wanting a draft are good; the end of the worst thing in the world. But they’re twisted. Instead of starving the beast of militarism he wants to shove a few thousand people down its throat until it (hopefully) chokes.

Would it work? It’s possible. But it didn’t work during the Civil War, World War I, World War II, Korea, or Vietnam. Or, it didn’t work in time for scores upon scores of thousand of men. What about them? Isn’t preventing their enslavement and slaughter also a part of opposing war?

If people suggesting a return to conscription are serious about ending war and all its miseries, they will stop spinning their wheels on bullshit columns like Sirota’s; stop coyly suggesting unpopular plans that make them sound grave and determined; and they will start opposing war, period.

Xenliad
09-22-2014, 04:20 PM
Better to have the war go to the people as a public yes/no vote and draft all of the yes votes rather than draft people that are already against the war.

Christian Liberty
09-22-2014, 07:29 PM
Better to have the war go to the people as a public yes/no vote and draft all of the yes votes rather than draft people that are already against the war.

I'd actually be OK with this. It wouldn't be enslavement at that point, since people would be committing by voting "yes".

ctiger2
09-22-2014, 07:49 PM
I think it's good. Draft everyone and raise taxes 200%. Maybe then the sheeple will awake. Prob not..

HOLLYWOOD
09-22-2014, 08:16 PM
Never noticed it stopping any wars.Ever since taxes were forced upon, war has been a continuance. Make it a 50% tax on top of what's stolen... let's see if of the useful idiots feel the pain, because hammering home logic with a ballpeen hammer doesn't sink into their coconuts.

Reinstating the draft to include ALL voters, maybe. Just drafting kids doesn't hurt enough fast enough.Yeah, start with Lawyers, Bankers, & Politicians/Government slugs.

phill4paul
09-22-2014, 08:25 PM
I don't pay federal income tax and I won't go fighting for them. Doesn't matter. Unless a majority does the same.

oyarde
09-22-2014, 11:04 PM
Never noticed it stopping any wars.

If I remember the phone tax of 1898 to pay for the Spanish American War was left on for around 108 yrs

oyarde
09-22-2014, 11:19 PM
Just remember this , if there was a war tax , it would never go away . I am not paying shit and would be just as delighted to eliminate those who support it and vote for stealing from me as I would be any enemies . Same for anyone who thought they should conscript my Grandchildren .

roho76
09-23-2014, 04:12 AM
To all who think the draft would stop war and make people think twice and "wake up", how'd that work out in Vietnam? Thought so.

pcosmar
09-23-2014, 06:27 AM

Doubts...
When,, in the history of the world,, has war ever been prevented by the people refusing to pay for it?