PDA

View Full Version : UT - Police shoot ‘suspicious’ Utah man six times in the back while fleeing

Anti Federalist
09-18-2014, 06:02 PM
Police shoot ‘suspicious’ Utah man six times in the back while fleeing

http://www.policestateusa.com/2014/darrien-hunt-shooting/

The fatal incident happened on September 10th, 2014. On that Wednesday morning, 22-year-old Darrien Hunt decided to go for a walk in his neighborhood.

Mr. Hunt was toting a novelty item that he had purchased in a nearby Asian gift shop: a “Samurai-style” sword with a dull edge. Hunt’s family stated that the sword was for display only, and had a rounded edge that could not cut anything, according to KSL.

Carrying the item does not appear to be in violation of weapons law, yet police were dispatched because someone called the government to report a “suspicious person.”

Jocelyn Hansen, who was pumping gas nearby, said that she saw Mr. Hunt walking down the street and that he did not appear “suspicious” to her. She watched as Saratoga Springs police officers stopped Mr. Hunt in front of a convenience store and began questioning him.

The interaction with police was described as calm and non-violent. Mr. Hunt was photographed standing next to a police car, conversing with officers with his hands at his sides.

It is still unclear about how interaction turned violent.

“When I first saw [police] interviewing the young man, I felt like they were very professional. They were keeping their distance, their voices were not raised…” recalled Hansen to ABC-4 News. “I looked up. There were shots, and there was a chase.”

The initial police account stated: “When the officers made contact with Mr Hunt, he brandished the sword and lunged toward the officers with the sword, at which time Mr Hunt was shot.”

But eyewitness Jocelyn Hansen said that she didn’t notice his novelty sword, described as a “2×4,” until after the shots were fired, after Mr. Hunt was running away.

The police statements did not account for the second volley of gunfire that erupted approximately 100 yards away, which ultimately killed Mr. Hunt as he tried to get away from the shooters.

An autopsy report confirmed that all six shots struck Mr. Hunt from behind. He was hit once in a shoulder, once in an elbow, twice in a leg, once in a hand, and once in the back.

“The shot that killed Darrien, which was straight in the back, did not have an exit wound,” attorney Randall Edwards told the Guardian. “It raises the question as to how you can lunge at someone and be shot in the back at the same time.”

The attorney also identified “a major change in the official story” that took place when police attempted to justify the second wave of gunfire using the initial “lunge” that allegedly took place before Mr. Hunt began to flee.

That poses a problem with the justification for the shots — in the back — that finished off Mr. Hunt in front of a Panda Express restaurant.

The two officers have been put on paid administrative leave.

Frustrating the victim’s family and inflaming critics, Police Chief Tim Taylor stated that the two officers would not even be interviewed until a week after the incident.

“Those stupid cops thought they had to murder over a toy,” said Susan Hunt, the decedent’s mother. “This is my baby. This is my family. And they ruined my family.”

External security cameras mounted outside a nearby credit union are expected to shed light on the incident.

aGameOfThrones
09-18-2014, 06:16 PM
don't know if your post has updated info, but here is mine....

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?459891-My-autopsy-says-he-was-running-away-well-My-autopsy-says-he-deserved-to-get-shot&highlight=autopsy

Anti Federalist
09-18-2014, 07:14 PM
Bah, search fail on two threads....

Dr.3D
09-18-2014, 07:32 PM
I'd be suspicious too if somebody was shooting at me.

Anti Federalist
11-05-2014, 11:53 AM
Annnnnd, justified, of course.

Despite All the Lies, Police Exonerated After Shooting Man in the Back 6 Times

By Jay Syrmopoulos on November 5, 2014

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/prosecutor-exonerates-officers-shot-utah-man-times-coverup/#HJ22rJUuBRSPVKpE.99

Provo, Utah – On Tuesday, Utah County Attorney Jeff Buhman, ruled that two Saratoga Springs police officers were justified in their use of deadly force when they shot 22-year-old Darrien Hunt in the back 6 times.

Hunt was shot on Sept. 10 outside a Top Stop convenience store in Saratoga Springs. Police had been called to the shopping plaza after someone saw a “suspicious person” walking around with a “samurai-type” sword. When they arrived, the two officers who responded claimed Hunt lunged at them with the sword, which prompted the gunfire.

We previously reported on the killing of Hunt back in September, and the extremely suspicious nature of being shot in the back while police claim a justification of being “attacked,” as an autopsy report concluded.

JK/SEA
11-05-2014, 12:06 PM
Bah, search fail on two threads....

MODS...ban..

HOLLYWOOD
11-05-2014, 12:15 PM
http://kwout.com/cutout/n/j5/en/ife_bor.jpg (http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-utah-shooting-20141103-story.html)

No charges in Utah police shooting of sword-wielding man - LA Times (http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-utah-shooting-20141103-story.html)

In total, seven shots were fired, with only one coming from Judson’s gun. Buhman explained that Schauerhamer was the closest to Hunt and was worried he was heading in the direction of more people as he ran.

“He did not stop after being given a verbal command to stop,” Buhman said. “The time it would have taken for Mr. Hunt with the sword still in his hand after having stabbed or sliced at officers, it would have been a matter of seconds before he reached someone else.”

http://kwout.com/cutout/f/q4/iu/kni_bor.jpg

County attorney calls shooting of Darrien Hunt justified (http://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/north/saratoga-springs/county-attorney-calls-shooting-of-darrien-hunt-justified/article_3bbde76a-5150-5286-bde4-5637aa80d676.html)

Mani
11-05-2014, 10:40 PM
They were fucking heroes I tell you...

The guy had ninja like skills and could have sliced up the whole fucking town if those brave officers didn't shoot him in the back 6 times:

In total, seven shots were fired, with only one coming from Judson’s gun. Buhman explained that Schauerhamer was the closest to Hunt and was worried he was heading in the direction of more people as he ran.

“He did not stop after being given a verbal command to stop,” Buhman said. “The time it would have taken for Mr. Hunt with the sword still in his hand after having stabbed or sliced at officers, it would have been a matter of seconds before he reached someone else.”

Heroes. No one seems to understand this guy could have been Like Storm Shadow from Cobra and Snake Eyes from GI Joe wasn't around! He could have chopped down the whole damn town. We just saved the day. Go JOE. Hi fives all around.

TheTexan
11-05-2014, 10:54 PM
External security cameras mounted outside a nearby credit union are expected to shed light on the incident.

That footage and any copies should be handed over to the police department as soon as possible so this can be more thoroughly investigated.

Mani
11-05-2014, 10:57 PM
That footage and any copies should be handed over to the police department as soon as possible so this can be more thoroughly investigated.

What footage? The police were there last week and confirmed the security cameras malfunctioned during that 10 minute incident...weird..

dannno
11-05-2014, 11:35 PM

I'll bet they 'lost' them.

Edit: Oh, damn, camera malfunction. I guess I was wrong :rolleyes:

Occam's Banana
11-06-2014, 12:05 AM
I have reported everyone in this thread for failiure to express sufficient approval for the heroes who serve and protect us.
(If you were decent people, you'd be hating on villains like Eric Frein, instead of on cops who were "just doing their jobs" ...)

Spikender
11-06-2014, 04:09 AM
[B]The two officers have been put on paid administrative leave.

Always music to my ears.

Suzanimal
01-07-2015, 04:18 AM
Police Kill Sword Owner, Face 2nd Am. Civil Rights Lawsuit
by VOL
January 6, 2015—Twenty-two-year-old Darrien Hunt is dead after being shot by police officers Matt Schauerhamer and Nicholas Judson who demanded he drop a 40 inch samurai sword. Hunt’s family is now suing the two officers as well as city of Sarasota Springs, Utah. The police claim the shots were fired in self defense, but an autopsy shows Hunt was shot six times, including in the back.

From the article at CNN:

The suit contends that Hunt was shot while he was fleeing, that police used excessive force and that the officers’ actions “manifested malicious, reckless, and callous indifference to the rights and very life of Darrien Hunt.”

“They demanded that he give up his sword — they had no right to do that. He was causing no harm,” family attorney Robert Sykes said. “They provoked an incident with this peaceful man.”

At a press conference on Friday, Sykes said the family will ask for more than $2 million in damages.
Read the whole article here.

Witnesses dispute the police’s account saying Hunt did not pose a threat.

From the article at UPI:

The suit also accuses the officers of shooting Hunt in the back while he fled and of using excessive force.

Susan Hunt said her son had been in high spirits the day of his death and that he bought the dull replica sword to impress managers at a Panda Express, where he hoped to get a job.

http://www.voicesofliberty.com/article/police-kill-sword-owner-face-2nd-am-civil-rights-lawsuit/

UWDude
01-07-2015, 04:36 AM
Well, that's what you get for resisting arrest. He should have let the cops shoot him three times, then lay down, instead of keep running, (while crawling back, trying to lick their boots). DON'T RESIST ARREST, LET THEM SHOOT YOU FIRST.

22, God Damn. Just another "isolated incident", "the media" is blowing out of proportion.

UWDude
01-07-2015, 04:58 AM
Oh, and by the way, this basically will have to be made about race to settle the legal suit, because to win the civil suit, you have to claim your civil rights were violated. And believe it or not, trying to claim a cop violated your civil rights is not easy, especially when you are dead or even white, a little easier if you are rich, black or white, but never, ever easy.

Suzanimal
11-01-2015, 10:21 AM
Darrien Hunt family fires back after claims they accepted, then rejected $900,000 settlement

The family of Darrien Hunt, who was shot and killed by police officers in September 2014, is fighting back against claims that they agreed to accept a $900,000 settlement, then rejected it.

According to documents filed Wednesday in federal court, Susan Hunt’s current attorneys reamed her former attorney, Robert Sykes, for agreeing to a settlement without consulting with the family.

“Susan Hunt never settled the case. She never confirmed, directed, or consented to a settlement amount with Sykes,” the document reads. “Susan Hunt never ratified any settlement amount by her words or conduct.”

“As to the settlement, at no time did Robert Sykes have actual authority to settle the matter on behalf of Plaintiff(s),” the document further states.

However in a statement last week from the Saratoga Springs city attorney, Heather White, an email discussion between the city’s legal team and Sykes is probable cause for federal judges to order Susan Hunt to accept the near-million dollar settlement.

Susan Hunt asserted that as a condition of the settlement, a gag order would be placed upon her and the family to never talk about their son’s passing. In a rally Sep. 10, the anniversary of her son’s passing, she told her friends and supporters that she was forced to accept “hush money” and just let the case be settled.

White explained last week that there was never a gag order, rather, it was a non-disparagement order, which stated that neither the Hunt family nor the city of Saratoga Springs could “say disparaging things about the other.”

The Hunt family’s attorney, Paul Lydolph, has requested an oral argument to dispute whether the court can enforce the settlement. In the motion, the defense states, “A trial court may not summarily enforce a purported settlement agreement if there is a genuinely disputed question of material fact regarding the existence or terms of that agreement.”

Susan Hunt’s son, Darrien Hunt, was shot and killed on Sept. 10, 2014, by two Saratoga Springs police officers after, according to police reports, he lunged at the two with a samurai sword.

However, Darrien Hunt’s relatives say he was dressed up in costume and the sword was an accessory.

The shooting was ruled justified by the Utah County Attorney’s Office in November 2014.

Susan Hunt recently settled her own criminal defense case in which she assaulted a police officer, reports state. Hunt agreed to be crime-free for at least six months and complete counseling and the court agreed to dismiss her misdemeanor charges.

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/article_4258da60-5e86-53e0-930e-b31d8bb51050.html#.VjUYHuwLLqM.twitter