PDA

View Full Version : "Officials" kill cougar (4-legged)

tod evans
09-11-2014, 08:58 AM
What a sorry state of affairs when government officials are called in to eliminate rogue wildlife....

Even out there in the land of fruits-n-nuts this is what armed neighbors are for, a critter attacks a human ya' load up, find it and kill it.

No need for tax dollars to be spent...SMDH

From Drudge;

Mountain lion linked to boy's attack slain

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_MOUNTAIN_LION_ATTACKS_BOY?SITE=MYPSP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-09-11-04-35-47

California wildlife officials plan to conduct DNA and disease tests in Sacramento to make sure they shot and killed the mountain lion that attacked a 6-year-old boy on a hiking trail..

After three days of searching and trap setting, the mountain lion was found and treed by dogs Wednesday before it was fatally shot in Cupertino by the California Department of Fish and Wildlife, agency spokesman Patrick Foy said.

Several factors led the agency to believe it was the right cat, including its fitting the description, its aggression toward the crew that found it and its appearing 130 yards from the spot of the attack, but DNA tests would be necessary to confirm its identity.

"I think it's very, very highly likely, but we can't put a 100 percent stamp on it until we get the DNA," Foy said.

Officials defended the decision to kill the cougar instead of trying to bring it in alive.

"No one at the department wanted to destroy this animal but protecting public safety is a first and foremost priority," Fish and Wildlife said in a statement.

Foy said the 65-pound male mountain lion and search team trapped it in a tree about 70 feet high, where it would have been incredibly difficult to dart and capture and would likely have died in the fall.

"The conditions made it really not a viable option," Foy said. "We figured we'd better get it in hand."

The cougar will be tested for rabies and other diseases to determine what might have brought it to attack the boy as he walked slightly ahead of a large group of hikers in the Silicon Valley city.

Biologists had set several traps near the Picchetti Ranch Zinfandel Trail in hopes of capturing the mountain lion, and two search teams had scoured the series of trails looking for it.

Officials said the injured boy was released from the hospital on Monday, a day after suffering bite wounds and scratches on his head and neck while hiking with his family and others. His name has not been released.

The boy's father told investigators his son was about 10 feet ahead of the group when the cougar appeared from nowhere and attacked him.

oyarde
09-11-2014, 09:51 AM
It is illegal to take a lion in California , so only the state can . They are not afraid of people and will continue to try and eat them until there is a hunting season for lions .

tod evans
09-11-2014, 09:53 AM
Laws be damned, something attacks my kid I'll kill it or die trying...

oyarde
09-11-2014, 10:00 AM
Laws be damned, something attacks my kid I'll kill it or die trying...

I cannot even figure out why someone would think it a good idea to hike in lion habitat unarmed.They must want to be eaten .

Root
09-11-2014, 10:02 AM
So it's illegal to hunt lions, unless you wear a costume and are part of the "just-us" club.

tod evans
09-11-2014, 10:02 AM
I cannot even figure out why someone would think it a good idea to hike in lion habitat unarmed.They must want to be eaten .

It happened in Ca. :rolleyes:

thoughtomator
09-11-2014, 10:41 AM
The government undertook a revenge killing against a cat??? And of course they just had to kill it, since simply waiting for it to get hungry and come down from the tree was too onerous?

DamianTV
09-11-2014, 10:56 AM
Mountain Lions / Cougars will seriously fuck up a grown man. None the less, every chance Govt gets to validate peoples dependancy on it will be exploited. Yet, cant carry while hiking? Why not just make Hiking illegal like everything else?

Im not a fan of killing animals for any reason but self defense, food, or exceptional circumstances. In a few cases, it is justified, but should be able to be done by anyone, not just govt. As much as I think power should be balanced, that same balanced needs to also apply to nature. A balance we are severely upsetting.

specsaregood
09-11-2014, 11:10 AM
Thought I'd plug a nifty site that some people I know developed:
http://santacruzpumas.org/puma-tracker/

Brian4Liberty
09-11-2014, 11:25 AM
The area is not far from "civilization". There are plenty of houses (might be called estates) in the area. For gun enthusiasts, the Rod and Gun club is close by. There is a reservoir with boaters, fishing and bicycling on the road below. This trail is connected to a park like picnic area and historic farm with a Winery. Families are always there, and many people use that trail. It's not a wilderness trail, more like a border trail between civilization and the coastal mountains. Mountain lions are sometimes spotted in these boundary areas, but attacks are rare. Too many people. This mountain lion tried to take the kid with a large group right there. Must have been desperate and/or starving. Likely a young male pushed out of the territory where it was born.

The drought has probably brought a lot of wildlife closer to civilization.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
09-11-2014, 12:23 PM
Man, I am joining this club so I can have a permit to shoot animals, people, dogs, watermelons and whatever.

Here's officer friendly in New Zealand shooting a sheep. This is fucking awesome!

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=332_1406356527&comments=1

UWDude
09-11-2014, 08:44 PM

A gun is heavy, and mountain lion attacks are rare. I hike alone in black bear and mountain lion country, all the time, and my best weapon is my walking sticks.

Yet, cant carry while hiking?

As of last year, you are legally allowed to carry firearms in the National Parks, even though most of the wilderness border signs have not been updated to indicate so.

Cutlerzzz
09-11-2014, 09:39 PM
There have been three fatal cougar attacks in North America in 15 years. Lightning strikes, falling coconuts, and plague infected prairie dogs are much bigger natural threats.

fr33
09-11-2014, 09:52 PM
There have been three fatal cougar attacks in North America in 15 years. Lightning strikes, falling coconuts, and plague infected prairie dogs are much bigger natural threats.

But there have been many more injuries than fatalities from cougar attacks. 2 of the things you list are just as regional as a cougar attack and all of them are something that people should take precautions to avoid.

William Tell
09-11-2014, 10:11 PM
The killing was justified, I support it.

oyarde
09-11-2014, 11:24 PM
The government undertook a revenge killing against a cat??? And of course they just had to kill it, since simply waiting for it to get hungry and come down from the tree was too onerous?

They will not wait that long , eventually they become agitated and jump and run when treed by dogs .

oyarde
09-11-2014, 11:26 PM

They are not usually successful . They will jump on you and bite your head or neck .

Matt Collins
09-11-2014, 11:27 PM
I like how the threat title says "four legged" lolz

oyarde
09-11-2014, 11:29 PM
A gun is heavy, and mountain lion attacks are rare. I hike alone in black bear and mountain lion country, all the time, and my best weapon is my walking sticks.

As of last year, you are legally allowed to carry firearms in the National Parks, even though most of the wilderness border signs have not been updated to indicate so.
Good luck and peaceful walking to you . I only ever had one jump on me once , I was cold , tired and saw it just in time.

UWDude
09-11-2014, 11:35 PM
Good luck and peaceful walking to you . I only ever had one jump on me once , I was cold , tired and saw it just in time.

I wear an old Kelty aluminum frame with a high neck bar, partly for this reason. They go for the back of the neck.
The closest I have seen is fresh tracks in the snow.

but, uh, finish your story! :D

ord33
09-11-2014, 11:51 PM
Thought I'd plug a nifty site that some people I know developed:
http://santacruzpumas.org/puma-tracker/

Thanks, that website is interesting!

Now I know this quote (below) in the article is complete BS after watching the video of them darting the mountain lion while it is way up in the tree and it is able to scale its way down the tree before the dart takes its full effect. So basically they were completely lying when they said the mountain lion couldn't have been taken alive because this group does it all the time and works with the Dept. of Fish & Wildlife.

"Foy said the 65-pound male mountain lion and search team trapped it in a tree about 70 feet high, where it would have been incredibly difficult to dart and capture and would likely have died in the fall."

Yet the first video on this page shows this group doing exactly what they say is incredibly difficult and where it would be likely to die. It seems like the guys at SantaCruzPumas.org did this quite easily and without harming the mountain lion. http://santacruzpumas.org/videos/

oyarde
09-12-2014, 12:04 AM

Now I know this quote (below) in the article is complete BS after watching the video of them darting the mountain lion while it is way up in the tree and it is able to scale its way down the tree before the dart takes its full effect. So basically they were completely lying when they said the mountain lion couldn't have been taken alive because this group does it all the time and works with the Dept. of Fish & Wildlife.

"Foy said the 65-pound male mountain lion and search team trapped it in a tree about 70 feet high, where it would have been incredibly difficult to dart and capture and would likely have died in the fall."

Yet the first video on this page shows this group doing exactly what they say is incredibly difficult and where it would be likely to die. It seems like the guys at SantaCruzPumas.org did this quite easily and without harming the mountain lion. http://santacruzpumas.org/videos/
I would have just killed it too. When you relocate it , it will just find other weak targets if it gets hungry enough and lazy enough or old or injured . Weak targets mean children , pets , livestock.

Brian4Liberty
09-12-2014, 12:29 AM

I'd assume that the mountain lions that are tagged and released have not attacked any people. They could have darted and captured this mountain lion alive, but since it attacked a human, it already had a death sentence.

idiom
09-12-2014, 05:44 AM
Mountain Lions / Cougars will seriously fuck up a grown man.

I enjoyed this sentence way to much for all the wrong reasons.

idiom
09-12-2014, 05:47 AM
Here's officer friendly in New Zealand shooting a sheep. This is fucking awesome!

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=332_1406356527&comments=1

Thats the only time I have seen footage of an officer discharging a weapon in New Zealand.

Although the dude had clearly never herded sheep before (which is honestly unusual, we all herd sheep). The Sheep just wanted its gate to be opened. Poor sheep.

Maybe cop had been watching too much American tv?

mad cow
09-12-2014, 12:19 PM
Thats the only time I have seen footage of an officer discharging a weapon in New Zealand.

Although the dude had clearly never herded sheep before (which is honestly unusual, we all herd sheep). The Sheep just wanted its gate to be opened. Poor sheep.

So that's what you Kiwis are calling it these days...

fr33
09-12-2014, 11:19 PM

It's just a sheep. Hopefully it was butchered for food. To get it to a gate safely they'd probably need to shut down traffic. That sheep's life is not worth all that time and money.

oyarde
09-12-2014, 11:44 PM
It's just a sheep. Hopefully it was butchered for food. To get it to a gate safely they'd probably need to shut down traffic. That sheep's life is not worth all that time and money.

Tasty on the grill .