PDA

View Full Version : Salvation Army kettle workers seem to love RP!

McDermit
12-02-2007, 04:30 PM
It didn't even cross my mind to talk to them while we were handing out lit on Black Friday. But I'm one of those suckers who feels compelled to donate anytime one of those folks starts ringing their bells as I walk past them. So I usually throw a buck and some change into the kettle, and then hand them a Mosaic flyer and strike up a conversation if they're so inclined.

Today alone, 2 of them said they already knew about RP and were voting for him. One lady asked if I had some extra flyers she could have. A few others expressed interest, asking about his positions on various issues. All, of course, loved his position on the income tax.

I've spoken to probably about 30 bell ringers so far this season, and have handed the mosaic flyers to at least 3 dozen more. Not a single one has ever refused, and all have either asked questions or immediately set to reading.

Quite a few other groups are taking up collections around here as well right now. The SPCA has people out with cans and the local PSU student groups are collecting money for children with cancer. Toys for Tots donation centers are starting to pop up as well. And nearly all of the donation collectors attempt to engage you as you walk past, so it's a perfect opportunity to talk about RP. They usually open with "Hi, would you like to make a donation to ... today?" Smile and say sure, make your contribution, then ask if they'd like to learn about Ron Paul. They usually laugh or smile since it's so unexpected, but I've yet to hear a "no." And if you play it right, you can usually get a small crowd of other shoppers to stop and get involved in the conversation as well.

Don't limit yourself to fellow shoppers and cashiers when you're out shopping - EVERYONE is fair game for RP's message! (Rent-a-cops hate taxes too!)

JenHarris
12-02-2007, 04:37 PM
good idea and story :)

someguy200
12-02-2007, 05:17 PM
Of course most charitably organizations would be against taxes, the government has coned the people into believing taxes go to good causes like the charities do, when in reality most tax money is either wasted on bureaucracy, spend on government special interests, or on causes most people wouldn't donate to if they had the choice. The equation is completely flipped between taxes and charities, charities usually use like 90% of their money directly for their cause, and 10% for organization and such, whereas government uses 10% of tax money for any real work and 90% for organization. Most charities understand the inefficiency of government to actually help people, thats why they were started in the first place.