PDA

View Full Version : good documentary about the NAFTA highway

haaaylee
12-02-2007, 04:11 PM
did a search and didn't see anything about this on here yet:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=792962976050500387&q=truth+be+tolled+duration%3Along&total=347&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

Truth Be Tolled:

First Texas, ... all » then the nation.

Government has found a new way to make money on public infrastructure.

The plan is not only to convert existing roadways into toll ways without a public vote, but to seize over half a million acres of Texas soil and replace it with a 4,000 mile road, rail and utility network.

Many citizens are crying highway robbery. Corporations stand to profit as lobbyists and lawmakers pave the way for private foreign interests.

The political establishment is not listening to the people--but their voices will be heard.

This award-winning* documentary follows the process as citizens exercise their most important power as members of a democracy: freedom of speech.

Grassroots organizers to working-class Texans, all unite to state their loud opposition. The strongest voices rise from small rural communities whose farms, homes, schools, businesses and churches face the largest forcible eminent domain acquisition in U.S. history.

The Trans-Texas Corridor, the first leg of the proposed NAFTA superhighway, will not only rip the heart out of Texas-- it will kill a way of life that has been in the Lone Star State forever

Patronus
12-02-2007, 04:35 PM
How does a highway jeopardize national sovereignty?

We claim to be libertarians, yet here we do not embrace what is essentially the workings of the free market and free trade.

This land would be seized and roads would be constructed by the state governments regardless. Just because the financing is being provided by foreign firms, we get upset. The same opportunity to invest was given to domestic firms. The idea of toll road investment in America is new though - U.S. firms will eventually jump on.

Are there trade and foreign relations groups that lobby for such corridors? Yes. But they don't control their construction. Tolls are a necessary way of raising revenue for new transportation infrastructure. It's either that or we raise the gas tax. Which do you prefer?

forsmant
12-02-2007, 04:41 PM
Yeah I think the automobile companies should have built their own roads to support their cars. Just like railroads had to build thier own railways. Of course not everyone owns a train:confused:

RP4ME
12-02-2007, 05:43 PM

We claim to be libertarians, yet here we do not embrace what is essentially the workings of the free market and free trade.

This land would be seized and roads would be constructed by the state governments regardless. Just because the financing is being provided by foreign firms, we get upset. The same opportunity to invest was given to domestic firms. The idea of toll road investment in America is new though - U.S. firms will eventually jump on.

Are there trade and foreign relations groups that lobby for such corridors? Yes. But they don't control their construction. Tolls are a necessary way of raising revenue for new transportation infrastructure. It's either that or we raise the gas tax. Which do you prefer?

We here is where I part ways with some Libertraians ...I DO NOT belive in Open borders! Especially in an age of terrorism which does exist....

plh
12-02-2007, 05:43 PM

Hi Patronus,

I am not a Libertarian, so I'm not sure of the workings that libertarians embrace. Please forgive my ignorance.

You are expressing an opinion that is important to you so I want to give you respect.

I've considered your questions and in answering these questions for myself I've used Ron Paul's actual words in response to three of them.

"Once again, decisions that affect millions of Americans are not being made by those Americans themselves, or even by their elected representatives in Congress."

"...don’t be fooled: the superhighway proposal is not the result of free market demand, but rather an extension of government-managed trade schemes like NAFTA that benefit politically-connected interests."

"The loss of whole communities is almost certain, as planners cannot wind the highway around every quaint town, historic building, or senior citizen apartment for thousands of miles."

Ron Paul
http://www.house.gov/paul/tst/tst2006/tst103006.htm

And as to your last question - I would prefer to pay a toll. Toll roads are an old Idea. Being from Oklahoma I am very familiar with them. I traveled often on the Muskogee Turnpike.

If a highway is planned and created with the approval of the American people, if it is planned and constructed under real free trade and if the eminent domain issuesccan be addressed to my satisfaction, the I will support it. I don't believe this to be the case with the "NAFTA Superhighway" or whatever name we are giving it now.

Sincerely, PLH

Johnnybags
12-02-2007, 05:48 PM

Its the tranfer of wealth from private owners to other private owners. Emminent domain being used not for government but for a private company that owns and operates it for profit, charging you whatver toll they wish and a gaurantee clause of no competing roadways. Its foreign taxing of Americans. Foreign emminent domain and a huge kickback scheme for the builders and politicians companies involved. And Ghouls and his pal Perry in the middle of it all.