PDA

View Full Version : FULL PAGE: Des Moines Registrar - Yah or Nay

Lord Xar
12-02-2007, 03:45 PM
Okay.

I tossed around the idea of a fullpage in the Des Moines Registrar last week. Now that they will omit Ron Paul from their presidential issues coverage, we have a choice.

1. Get the Llepard fullpage Ad (the USA Today ad)
2. Do not give them the business

What is you take? Should we push forward and do this or let the campaign manage the promotion in Iowa, and we focus on another state?

Or we can modify the Llepard ad to address the questions the presidential candidate sections will have (in their own paper).

I would need to make this decision by tomorrow afternoon.

ItsTime
12-02-2007, 03:46 PM
very good question. Same question can now be posed to the Union Leader here in New Hampshire, they have endorsed McCain.

bbachtung
12-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Run the ad -- on the page adjacent to the candidate profiles on each of the 12 profile days.

KewlRonduderules
12-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Absolutely buy an ad !!!

None of this protest stuff! it won't work. Let's play them at their own game.

;)

ItsTime
12-02-2007, 03:48 PM
Simple full page ad with block text. in red at the top THE TRUTH then in the middle http://www.taxhikemike.com on the bottom http://www.romneyfacts.com

Just a thought

JoeySweets
12-02-2007, 03:49 PM
Run the ad -- on the page adjacent to the candidate profiles on each of the 12 profile days.

Best Answer,

I'd give at least 15 bucks money to that.

Lord Xar
12-02-2007, 03:50 PM
Keep in mind that THIS IS NOT a small buy. It will be about 12 - 14K for a full page.

I think we should stay positive as let Romney tear Huckabee a new one, not waste Our message on them.

I guess we could put a "blurb" at the bottom that alludes to a candidate or two and their real records, but lets make "Ron's" message the most important.

WE WOULD BE COLLECTING A CHIPIN.

We could only realistically get enough chipins to run the ad once.

ItsTime
12-02-2007, 03:53 PM
I say run it.

Keep in mind that THIS IS NOT a small buy. It will be about 12 - 14K for a full page.

I think we should stay positive as let Romney tear Huckabee a new one, not waste Our message on them.

I guess we could put a "blurb" at the bottom that alludes to a candidate or two and their real records, but lets make "Ron's" message the most important.

WE WOULD BE COLLECTING A CHIPIN.

We could only realistically get enough chipins to run the ad once.

rrroae
I think it's a tremendous idea to run the ad.

I personally believe it could get us 2-6% more RP votes during the Iowa primary.

axiomata
As the lone "no" vote I should probably explain my position.

I think you should start negotiations with them. Find out the cost, possible sections, and choices of run days, but then change your mind before signing on the dotted line. State your reason for deciding not to run the ad as the unfair coverage of RP's campaign especially in regard to him being left out of their candidate profiles.

Eventually, they'll print something on RP I'd sincerely hope, and no matter how small, as long as it is not an overt hitpiece, you should then recontact them, say you saw their coverage of RP and appreciate it, and get the ad to run.

voytechs
Okay.

I tossed around the idea of a fullpage in the Des Moines Registrar last week. Now that they will omit Ron Paul from their presidential issues coverage, we have a choice.

What is you take? Should we push forward and do this or let the campaign manage the promotion in Iowa, and we focus on another state?

Or we can modify the Llepard ad to address the questions the presidential candidate sections will have (in their own paper).

I think by giving them the business we are likely to turn'em our way. Look at USA Today. Several positive articles appeared about RP after that full advertisement. Remember these guys are in for th money.

jb4ronpaul
12-02-2007, 03:54 PM
big yay, no doubt

MozoVote
12-02-2007, 03:56 PM
Wow, look at that yes vote. This indignity is really pissing people off.

I voted unsure - I'd like to see the campaign itself take action - But if this ad does go forward I'll chip.

louisiana4liberty
12-02-2007, 03:59 PM
I say NO way. They don't deserve the business. Cancel subscriptions in protest and let them know why. This idea of leaving out major candidates is probably a deliberate action. They should be punished and not rewarded with ad buys!!!!!!!!!!!

Think about what RP would do! What does he want us to do? Maybe we should get his opinion?

Revolutn
12-02-2007, 04:00 PM
GRRRR.

I really can't stand this.

I drove 5 hours one way months ago just to support Ron in IA, and now they're up to this level of crap still this many months later.

Something really weird with IA......every other group or state party, media outlet etc that disses Ron Paul subsequently gets the message LOUD and CLEAR.:rolleyes:

But IA....good gawd man they are more stubborn than I could ever have imagined.:confused:

I hate to start throwing around money in all these unofficial directions.....but I think I have to agree that since they are blatantly deliberatly choosing to exclude him from coverage unreasonably in the week leading up to the primary vote - that this would actually be money well spent. But....I'm NOT happy that it has to be so! :mad:

Rev

mopar.bo
12-02-2007, 04:01 PM

I think you should start negotiations with them. Find out the cost, possible sections, and choices of run days, but then change your mind before signing on the dotted line. State your reason for deciding not to run the ad as the unfair coverage of RP's campaign especially in regard to him being left out of their candidate profiles.

Eventually, they'll print something on RP I'd sincerely hope, and no matter how small, as long as it is not an overt hitpiece, you should then recontact them, say you saw their coverage of RP and appreciate it, and get the ad to run.

That's pretty slick. I like it.

me3
12-02-2007, 04:02 PM
Run the Ad, and clearly state in the Ad, "The Candidate that the Des Moines Register Omitted". :D

ionlyknowy
12-02-2007, 04:03 PM

Um, I'm pretty sure this is illegal. If they rely on your promise to purchase the goods,and it creates economic harm to them, then they def. have a Cause of Action in the courts.

So this is a horrible idea.

MozoVote
12-02-2007, 04:04 PM
Run the Ad, and clearly state in the Ad, "The Candidate that the Des Moines Register Omitted". :D

Would they really allow that to be printed? Ha ha

I do agree that there should be some last minute tweaks to the ad. Prioritize the Tea Party a bit.

axiomata
12-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Um, I'm pretty sure this is illegal. If they rely on your promise to purchase the goods,and it creates economic harm to them, then they def. have a Cause of Action in the courts.

I never said to promise anything, I said to initiate negotiations and reconsider. It is not illegal. It is business.

Revolutn
12-02-2007, 04:06 PM

Uhm what's illegal about an prospective advertiser changing their mind at the last possible minute about signing a contract to run and ad?

I get your point but it's SO easy to avoid the legal issue you're referring to.

Rev

walt
12-02-2007, 04:08 PM

agree

ItsTime
Good idea... if they will allow that lol :eek:

me3
Uhm what's illegal about an prospective advertiser changing their mind at the last possible minute about signing a contract to run and ad?

I get your point but it's SO easy to avoid the legal issue you're referring to.

Rev
How about the posts in this online forum being used as proof?

Nothing posted here is private, remember that.

Lord Xar
12-02-2007, 04:10 PM
I don' have the time nor inclination to bait people along. The reason "why" I don't think this will work is because this paper is NOTORIOUSLY negative to Ron Paul. I don't think 12k is gonna make this paper think of "cash cow" and be nice all of a sudden.

When you are omitting Ron Paul in Favor of Hunter or Tancredo is treachery!

If you have been here awhile they started their negativity way back in August during the Ames Straw Poll.

mconder
12-02-2007, 04:13 PM
We should take the blimp money and buy a full page add in this paper every day until the primaries in my opinion.

Corydoras
12-02-2007, 04:13 PM

Newspaper advertising sales personnel are completely separate from the editors and writers. If you do that, the editors and writers will never hear about it.

mrd
12-02-2007, 04:18 PM
No, hell no, don't reward these bastards for sensoring Paul with advertising money! WTF?!

mconder
12-02-2007, 04:23 PM
No, hell no, don't reward these bastards for sensoring Paul with advertising money! WTF?!

We are sleeping with the enemy everytime RP goes on CNN or Fox. How is this any different than RP going on Glenn Beck for an hour?

RonPaulVolunteer
12-02-2007, 04:25 PM
Oh yeah, I'll chipin for this!

mrd
12-02-2007, 04:25 PM
We are sleeping with the enemy everytime RP goes on CNN or Fox. How is this any different than RP going on Glenn Beck for an hour?
We're not paying them! They should be paying us. Censorship fine, suckers.

specsaregood
12-02-2007, 04:26 PM
Xar, How about running the ad in all the small-town newspapers in IA instead?
I'm sure there are quite a few of them.

Might have more of an impact running it in all the small rural area local papers. Instead of big maincity paperl
Edit: http://www.50states.com/news/iowa.htm

ionlyknowy
12-02-2007, 04:27 PM
I never said to promise anything, I said to initiate negotiations and reconsider. It is not illegal. It is business.

But the only way that it would even make a difference is if it hurt the paper is some way... right?

If you negotiated two months before the paper went to print, and then canceled after a week... then the paper would be like "ok see ya later" and find something else to do with the space in the paper.

But if you are "negotiating" and I guarantee when it gets to a certain point the paper will start to rely on you using the space. If you back out of the deal after they start to rely on you taking it, and if they are unable to mitigate their damages (like not find someone to take the empty space, because they didnt have enough time to procure another ad) then they may have a Cause of Action.

The paper will not put itself in a position where they will be hurt if you back out, at some point they will ask for a promise or a written contract.

Just sayin..

specsaregood
12-02-2007, 04:29 PM

Indeed, I like the idea of hitting all the small community papers with the ad.

MozoVote
12-02-2007, 04:32 PM
I bet the small town papers don't like the "big dog" which probably delivers to all the surrounding counties too.

hasan
12-02-2007, 04:34 PM
is there a rival newspaper that matches the register in terms of circulation in iowa?

ItsTime
12-02-2007, 04:34 PM
Just start the chip in already we are running out of time :eek:

specsaregood
12-02-2007, 04:35 PM
I bet the small town papers don't like the "big dog" which probably delivers to all the surrounding counties too.

Having lived in small rural midwest towns, I can say that the people that buy the local paper, are usually older and are more inclined to read every single page and article in the paper. Since the papers are thinner and have less to read.

I'd chipin for that, but would require more work (contacting various papers) instead of just one.

MozoVote
12-02-2007, 04:36 PM
is there a rival newspaper that matches the register in terms of circulation in iowa?

Kind of doubt it. There are other city papers but the Register is the "LA Times" of Iowa.

yongrel
12-02-2007, 04:37 PM
This paper has been negative about RP or months now, and they're not gonna change. However, I think that printing a full page ad on the page opposite the profiles would be excellent. Relative to some other methods of promotion *cough*blimp*cough* this is a much more effective use of funds.

MsDoodahs
Full page ad in Register: attack ad against Huck et al. and make it REALLY good, with links listed to youtube videos, and it HAS to include that "phone call from God" smarmy Huck did. That was so highly offensive to me as a Christian...ick that guy is just such a FAKER it is not even funny.

Small ads in surrounding papers Pro Paul.

JMO.

I'll help with whatever response action you guys decide on.

:)

American
I would like an ad, but something that looks like a editorial piece, not an advertisement. Something that points this bias out, most people dont like being played a fool and I'm sure Iowa isnt any different.

axiomata
Having lived in small rural midwest towns, I can say that the people that buy the local paper, are usually older and are more inclined to read every single page and article in the paper. Since the papers are thinner and have less to read.

I'd chipin for that, but would require more work (contacting various papers) instead of just one.
I agree with the small paper route. Is there any way to compare the cost to coverage ratio of the Des Moines Register versus a combinations of smaller papers?

ItsTime
12-02-2007, 04:38 PM
;)

This paper has been negative about RP or months now, and they're not gonna change. However, I think that printing a full page ad on the page opposite the profiles would be excellent. Relative to some other methods of promotion *cough*blimp*cough* this is a much more effective use of funds.

MozoVote
12-02-2007, 04:39 PM
SpecsAreGood, I know what you're saying. I have lived in a few small towns myself. Once you go to the bother of picking up a local paper that is only umpteen pages, you do tend to thrumb through the whole thing.

If we go this route, the Register should definately be informed how much ad revenue was ALMOST spent there.

Ninja Homer
12-02-2007, 04:40 PM
I don't think the Des Moines Register should be rewarded for omitting Ron Paul. However, an ad should be run in Iowa.

I think it would be pretty easy to negotiate... Just tell them you are going to run a full page ad in Iowa. Their choice to omit Ron Paul from their paper is going to have an effect of where you decide to run the ad. If they reconsider, and decide to include Ron Paul, you will run a full page ad with them. Otherwise, it will be run in every single one of their competitors in Iowa. Don't forget to point out that when the mosaic ad was run during the Iowa straw poll, it was that paper's highest selling issue ever, with orders placed from around the country.

Dlynne
12-02-2007, 04:41 PM

I am in favor of this, and would contribute.

literatim
12-02-2007, 04:41 PM
Folks, this isn't about deserving business or not deserving it. It is about getting Ron Paul's name out there and preventing them from ignoring him.

In the ad there should be a bio for Ron Paul included similar to what will be in the newspaper for the other candidates and mention that he was excluded from the newspaper on purpose.

I personally think a second ad informing people about the negatives of the other candidates would be good also.

MsDoodahs
12-02-2007, 04:42 PM
http://www.usnpl.com/

click the state you want to find a newspaper in and voila!

Great resource, put it in your favorite places!

:)

MozoVote
12-02-2007, 04:42 PM
Ninja, you are right on. Telling them you have an $x,xxx budget for ads and will NOT spend them at the Register due to this exclusion could make a difference.

And I had forgotten about the mosiac ad. Good grief, how many copies of the Ames Tribune got sold after the straw poll because of that?

MsDoodahs
12-02-2007, 04:45 PM
Okay, calmer head ruling now :o , yes, Ninja's idea is good.

manny
12-02-2007, 04:45 PM
Go for it! It makes me feel sick too to give any creeps with an anti-RP agenda any business, but that's life. When RP wins the election it will all be forgotten. If it's the best newspaper to advertise in then let's do it.

I say keep it positive. The other candidates will go after each other. Plus Huckabee and Romney have poor policies and lack a credible record. Many people simply think they're the best available or conservative compared to Rudy etc. Well let's just show them about Ron Paul. This is where Llepard's ad comes in handy - appeals to conservatives, anti-war voters, constitutionalists, anyone interested in history etc. RP is the best candidate with the ebst record and message. We just need to put the info out there and the votes will follow.

Energy
12-02-2007, 04:47 PM
Let's do it. I will contribute.

Mark Rushmore
12-02-2007, 04:49 PM

That'd be my approach:

"Why is the Des Moines Registrar omitting a candidate polling at 7% while including those tied and polling lower? Check www.ronpaul2008.com or call 1-800-whatever to find out just what they are so afraid of!"

You know, something to that effect..

mrd
12-02-2007, 04:54 PM
That'd be my approach:

"Why is the Des Moines Registrar omitting a candidate polling at 7% while including those tied and polling lower? Check www.ronpaul2008.com or call 1-800-whatever to find out just what they are so afraid of!"

You know, something to that effect..
It's very likely the Des Moines Registrar wouldn't permit the ad in their paper with that statement. However, we could run ads in all the other Iowa papers with that statement in it ;)

slantedview
12-02-2007, 04:54 PM
as much as i'd like not to give them the business, i think this would be a valuable advertising decision.

as for the original usa today ad, i liked it pretty much how it is.

Lord Xar
12-02-2007, 04:58 PM
I would move the RON PAUL for PRESIDENT at the very top and make it bigger.... and some slight other mods, not much... just cosmetic.

BeFranklin
12-02-2007, 04:58 PM
Yes, and how about that new ad with 'Being on the same page' with the constitution?

I looked at the stats on Iowa on wikipedia, its mostly controlled by democrats, so it could work well there.

BeFranklin
12-02-2007, 05:04 PM
Okay.

Use the other ad, it will play better there since Iowa has a lot of democrats:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=22965

It's Time to Get America Back on the Same Page

http://ettc.lrhsd.org/archives/Constitution2.jpg
(note: insert quotes from luminaries along both sides of constitution from republicans, democrats, you name it etc, talking about why Ron Paul)

*insert text that talks about how Ron Paul's campaign is bringing people together from all different walks of life, all interested in one thing -- getting back on the same page: The Constitution. In order to bring it about they are getting behind a candidate with "a proven track record as a Champion of the Constitution."

Get America Back on the Same Page:
Vote for Ron Paul in the JanuFebruary Primary!
www.RonPaul2008.com

I just had this brainstorm tonight, and I thought I'd throw it out as raw meat for any of the designers we have in the crowd.

I made a quick Vector-Grafic for those of you who are familiar
with Illustrator and able to add texts. Unfortunately, I will be
on tour the next days, so I can't work on it during this time...

Feel free to use it for whatever - but make sure this is no
Copyright-Issue in America since it's an almost 1:1 vector-copy
of the original ... So before you publish, ask for permission to
avoid trouble...

Original Source: http://ettc.lrhsd.org/archives/Constitution2.jpg

Preview:
http://250kb.de/u/071202/p/a4b0e627.png
File (PDF/Illustrator):
http://www.mediafire.com/?3jjnbdz3dm3

nbruno322
12-02-2007, 05:32 PM
Yes, Paul needs to have some exposure in the ad and also expose the hypocrisy of the register.

specsaregood
12-02-2007, 05:48 PM
SpecsAreGood, I know what you're saying. I have lived in a few small towns myself. Once you go to the bother of picking up a local paper that is only umpteen pages, you do tend to thrumb through the whole thing.

If we go this route, the Register should definately be informed how much ad revenue was ALMOST spent there.

I think the ad would be much more effective in the small rural newspapers like that. If a news paper only has 20 pages of content, a full page ad is much more likely to be read in-depth. Versus the other papers, where somebody might glance at the ad, then flip the page.

Or look at it like this, the Registrar's readers are poisoned already by their bias, lets go for the people in IA that have not been poisoned. A full ad-blitz to all the small rural papers could generate goodwill from those papers,resulting in more coverage of Ron Paul.

Or yet another argument: The Registrar has gone out of their way delegitimize Ron Paul, let's delegitimize them by giving the ad buy to the small papers.

Drknows
12-02-2007, 05:51 PM
This is a great idea! Wheres the chip in at?

LibertyEagle
12-02-2007, 05:57 PM

We wouldn't be running the ad to make the newspaper love us. We are running the ad so that we can get Paul's message out to the Iowa people. Big difference.

noztnac
12-02-2007, 06:00 PM
What is their basis for excluding him?

noztnac
12-02-2007, 06:01 PM
The Registrar has gone out of their way delegitimize Ron Paul, let's delegitimize them by giving the ad buy to the small papers.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.

Margo37
12-02-2007, 06:05 PM
From the very few figures for advertising I could find on those rural newspapers it would probably cost a lot more to run many ads separately than just the one. Some probably are weekly also.

But interestingly enough, some have Letters to the Editor form to use online.

stevedasbach
12-02-2007, 06:10 PM

Or perhaps "The Candidate the Register does want you to know about"

Either way, the ad should consist of Ron directly addressing the issues the other candidates are being given free space to address.

We will NOT be silenced.

Motivation for action: the better Ron Paul does in Iowa, the dumber the Register looks for not including him.

specsaregood
12-02-2007, 06:14 PM
From the very few figures for advertising I could find on those rural newspapers it would probably cost a lot more to run many ads separately than just the one. Some probably are weekly also.

But interestingly enough, some have Letters to the Editor form to use online.

It might cost more, but maybe we get more bang for our buck. We might be able to get some deals. It seems others like this idea a bit too, I'd be willing to make some calls to their advertising departments tomorrow.

Margo37
12-02-2007, 06:22 PM
It seems others like this idea a bit too, I'd be willing to make some calls to their advertising departments tomorrow.

I like it too, one way or the other.

fez2008
12-02-2007, 06:29 PM
What if the ad looks very similar (and better) to the register's overview of each candidate? The same coverage*12 (although paid)...

Blowback
12-02-2007, 06:36 PM
Call them out in it and I'm in.

LOL - supporting John McCain.

Chaos Unlimited
12-02-2007, 06:37 PM
What if the ad looks very similar (and better) to the register's overview of each candidate? ...

Yes! Run it. It will be obvious to readers that Ron Paul was left out by editors. The voters still get the info. That one candidate has to pay and the others get the free coverage will make the point. Not giving the paper money makes no point to the voters in Iowa.

kotetu
12-02-2007, 07:56 PM
put up the chipin.

Jodi
12-02-2007, 08:00 PM
Simple full page ad with block text. in red at the top THE TRUTH then in the middle http://www.taxhikemike.com on the bottom http://www.romneyfacts.com

Just a thought

I love it!!!!!!!! LOL

Lord Xar
12-02-2007, 08:01 PM
Okay, it seems fairly obvious about this outcome.

So, now the question begs - which I will put a poll up..

what ad..

1. The Llepard USA Today Ad
2. The Issues PDF from the campaign site, but spruced up and looking pretty.
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/files/Flyer-Issues.pdf

So, we have to decide to we post the more elaborate USA Today ad or a more of an "issues" ad...

Jodi
12-02-2007, 08:02 PM

Very interesting idea here.

fez2008
12-02-2007, 08:04 PM
Okay, it seems fairly obvious about this outcome.

So, now the question begs - which I will put a poll up..

what ad..

1. The Llepard USA Today Ad
2. The Issues PDF from the campaign site, but spruced up and looking pretty.
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/files/Flyer-Issues.pdf

So, we have to decide to we post the more elaborate USA Today ad or a more of an "issues" ad...

Reposting:
" the ad ... very similar (and better) to the register's overview of each candidate" (only the fine print will make people realize its an Ad )

The only problem with this is, the format wont be available until the first overview is published. The first time it can be any other good looking Ad on the issues...

JacobLyles
12-02-2007, 08:16 PM
Just remember that we are good people and not bad people.

Jodi
12-02-2007, 08:18 PM
It might cost more, but maybe we get more bang for our buck. We might be able to get some deals. It seems others like this idea a bit too, I'd be willing to make some calls to their advertising departments tomorrow.

Some of these smaller papers may be owned by the same individual so you might get a discount by advertising in all their papers. The guy that owns the paper here in our town also owns papers in 7 or 8 other towns.

richk
12-02-2007, 08:39 PM

I agree. I would not give them a dime. It's like rewarding the paper for bad behavior. Do you really want other newspapers around the country to believe they will get Ron Paul advertising money if they ignore Ron Paul? I say find a competing paper if there is one and place an ad there. If no competing paper then use TV, radio, etc.

Do not reward these clowns for unfair reporting. :mad:

MozoVote
12-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Well, think of it this way. By paying for the ad, we can circumvent whatever "editing" would take place if they publish an interview.

For what it's worth, I like using Ron's "issues". Make it look like a "paid article" instead of an "advertisement".

Papers tend to run "paid articles" when they are a column about a health food pill, or mutual fund or something. But they blend in better with the layout of the page.

MozoVote
12-02-2007, 10:21 PM
Bump. 149 'yes' answers so far. Does that mean 149 donors? :D

lbadragan
12-02-2007, 10:33 PM
Run it! You're not enriching the newspaper by running 1 full page for 1 day. It's a drop in the bucket. But it WILL make their readers question the credibility of the newspaper they're reading and prevent some of the negative consequences of having Ron Paul excluded. Run it!

Dave
12-02-2007, 10:45 PM
This site identifies every paper in Iowa by whether it's daily or weekly, along with circulation and contact info:

http://www.inanews.com/apps/displaypapers.php?mod=About&action=Frequency

For what it's worth, I sent the DM Register (and their editorial page editor and their political honcho) a reasonable letter about their decision to exclude RP from their candidate comparisons.

dirknb@hotmail.com
12-02-2007, 10:47 PM

I'll donate a little towards this.

Taco John
12-02-2007, 10:48 PM
Here's a great idea for an ad:

Shellshock1918
12-02-2007, 10:48 PM
Do it.

MozoVote
12-03-2007, 07:36 AM
Bump. I'll hold out some slim hope anyway that the Iowa meetup, or maybe the HQ itself, will talk the Register out of this.

LizF
12-03-2007, 08:03 AM
I agree. I would not give them a dime. It's like rewarding the paper for bad behavior. Do you really want other newspapers around the country to believe they will get Ron Paul advertising money if they ignore Ron Paul? I say find a competing paper if there is one and place an ad there. If no competing paper then use TV, radio, etc.

Do not reward these clowns for unfair reporting. :mad:

Good point.

I like the idea of advertising among the small newspapers (mentioned in another post).

BlueGecko
12-03-2007, 08:05 AM
Priceless if not run in section but theres an ad showing hes won more straw polls, raised more money, ect in same section. Makes people wonder, maybe they'll google RP :D

bolidew
12-03-2007, 08:25 AM
Please, ask them to include RP in the interviews FIRST!!
Keep pressure on.

MozoVote
12-03-2007, 08:02 PM
Any news on this? Have the Iowa groups tried meeting with the Register?

Nathan Hale
12-03-2007, 08:23 PM
Okay.

Spend the money in IA. NH has more boots on the ground and the official campaign is spending more money there. IA isn't a state we're going to win, but we can manage 3rd or 4th. And that's all we really need if we follow it with a win in New Hampshire. This is a great ad and it should be placed in Iowa.

parke
12-03-2007, 08:35 PM
Run it.. Id change some of the text though. Pro-life and Illegal Immigration are the two biggest draws in Iowa as I understand it.

Lord Xar
12-03-2007, 08:38 PM
Run it.. Id change some of the text though. Pro-life and Illegal Immigration are the two biggest draws in Iowa as I understand it.

Yes, I know.. BUT if Illegal immigration is big, THEN WHY IS HUCKABERRY LEADING!!!

ARGHHHH -

I was thinking of running a spruced up "issues" page from Ron Paul's site.

this way they get his 'issues'....

still debating.. I am just back from my calls to them.

deedles
12-03-2007, 08:52 PM
I think running the ad is great... do in this ad exactly what we had to do after the exclusion of the Value Voters debate. If they, once again, won't bring the information to the people then we have to. I'll definitely donate. I'd make darn sure the ad addresses all the areas that the other candidates are receiving coverage for, though.

This isn't about punishing a newspaper, that is an energy vacuum. This is about getting Dr. Paul into the brains of American voters. The money to the paper is inconsequential and irrelevant.

GO GO GO!

MozoVote
12-03-2007, 08:53 PM
It will be interesting indeed, if the Register says they have no "space to print" a full page ad. You might want to call them from another phone number too and get a quote for a full page ad for something else, in case they are trying sneaky tricks on pricing.

deedles
12-03-2007, 08:54 PM
Oh, IMO, Huckster is winning because the MSM is plastering his mug everywhere and telling people 'he's moving up!" So now, he's moving up. And I believe this all started after the CFR pasted his speech on their website and called it essential. Now he has the blessing of the elite. Ron Paul will never have that, thus will never get what Huck is getting. Same thing with Clinton, he was 1-2% in the polls, met with the CFR and got 'blessed' and up the poll numbers went. It's sickening.

born2drv
12-03-2007, 08:55 PM
I know I'm in the minority, but I say no. We're going to get #2, 3, or 4 in Iowa and no matter which one it will achieve the same result..... we'll have bumped off 1-3 top tier candidates.... we'll have lots of positive press, and it will be overall Good for our campaign.

I say let's pour everything we have into NH instead. A win there would be great. We need billboards, ads in papers, the works.

It would show we can win, and the general trend is that RP keeps going up.

adpierce
12-03-2007, 08:58 PM
Yeah promote the Value Voter stuff like how he's pro-life, strongly supports home schooling, and how he's for letting the states decide whether prayer or intelligent design is taught in schools. If you get that info onto an ad you might just make a dent in ol' Huck's stranglehold in my home state of Iowa.

nbruno322
12-03-2007, 09:12 PM
dont give up on Iowa, run the ad

speciallyblend
12-03-2007, 09:13 PM

Peppy690
12-03-2007, 10:00 PM
run the usa today ad...is there a chip in going on?

Just Come Home
12-03-2007, 10:17 PM
Here's a great idea for an ad:

This is a good idea...

AlexMerced
12-03-2007, 10:25 PM
my only issue is if you can get this off the ground in time for it to make a different

MozoVote
12-03-2007, 10:36 PM
I don't think it should be an "ad" - we're getting close enough to the caucus that people will be beginning to be interested in reading the details. I'd like to see it be an attractive looking article.

But one that hopefully does highlight his straw poll finishes and fund raising, as well as the issues.

And the TEA PARTY. :)

Leslie Webb
12-03-2007, 11:41 PM
I don't think the Des Moines Register should be rewarded for omitting Ron Paul. However, an ad should be run in Iowa.

I think it would be pretty easy to negotiate... Just tell them you are going to run a full page ad in Iowa. Their choice to omit Ron Paul from their paper is going to have an effect of where you decide to run the ad. If they reconsider, and decide to include Ron Paul, you will run a full page ad with them. Otherwise, it will be run in every single one of their competitors in Iowa. Don't forget to point out that when the mosaic ad was run during the Iowa straw poll, it was that paper's highest selling issue ever, with orders placed from around the country.

Agree! I would like to see ads run in the major medium size city newspapers of Iowa. I guess that would be Dubuque, Davenport, Cedar Rapids, Ames, Sioux City, and so on. What do you think of an ad that would start something like this?

Iowa's liberal media bias

What the Des Moines Register Doesn't Want You To Know About Ron Paul

Voters are sick of attack ads, but I would imagine conservative Iowans in the smaller cities and countryside have had their fill of the government expansionist agenda of the Des Moines Register. We have a legitimate reason to attack the Des Moines Register. I would suggest one or two short paragraphs that explain that Ron Paul met the Register's criteria for being included in its editorial discussion of the candidates, but the Register excluded him on purpose.

Then use the rest of the ad to explain Ron's positions in depth and how they would affect Iowans. Emphasize especially his values positions, his fiscal responsibility, and his position on the war. Link to Farmers for Ron Paul, for example. Or, use the format that the Register uses and say, "These are Ron Paul's positions that the Des Moines Register does not want you to know about."

People don't like censorship and foul play; this would be a good opportunity to get our points across to average Iowans, and I think we would get a lot of sympathy and interest from them. I don't imagine many of them support the Register's big government stances on issues.

MozoVote
12-03-2007, 11:53 PM
Who knows, the other papers might even offer a discount. I agree, the smaller town papers probably do not like competition from the larger "state" daily.

Mauiboy86
12-04-2007, 12:22 AM
Do It!

MozoVote
12-04-2007, 07:09 AM
bump

literatim
12-04-2007, 07:11 AM
Basically pay for ad space, but include an article on Ron Paul in it.

Mastiff
12-04-2007, 09:54 AM
What if the ad looks very similar (and better) to the register's overview of each candidate? The same coverage*12 (although paid)...

I like this idea. Make a new ad that covers the same issues that the Register's story covers.

I'm not sure about the small town paper thing. I think most people just subscribe to the paper from the big city" near them.

Mastiff
12-04-2007, 10:02 AM
Is there a chipin going yet? I'll start it if nobody else wants to.

MozoVote
12-04-2007, 12:18 PM
Lord Xar founded a PAC for advertising, and has connections with people who can put a nice graphical layout together. If we're going to run an ad, he'll tell us. Then we cough up the contribs. Sounds like he's still negotiating for the best deal and it's not clear whether this will go in the Register or the nearby papers.

Mastiff
12-04-2007, 01:00 PM
If we're going to run an ad, he'll tell us.

:rolleyes:

Lord Xar
12-04-2007, 01:33 PM
Lord Xar founded a PAC for advertising, and has connections with people who can put a nice graphical layout together. If we're going to run an ad, he'll tell us. Then we cough up the contribs. Sounds like he's still negotiating for the best deal and it's not clear whether this will go in the Register or the nearby papers.

thank you. :)

I am still waiting on some things to fall into place. I can't say more.

Mastiff
12-05-2007, 07:34 PM
What's the word on this?

Lord Xar
12-05-2007, 07:40 PM
working on pricing. This is why I haven't posted a chipin because I don't know what the amount will actually be. I will most likely post a chipin tonight because I can't wait any longer on the fundraising.

Look for it tonight or early tomorrow.

dawnbt
12-05-2007, 07:49 PM
I think if you have that much money you should go for billboards! More people will see and read a great eyecatching billboard than an Ad. I don't buy a paper, I read online. Others may think it is too overwhelming and not finish what they started. People drive up and down the expressways everyday. If you missed the ad in the paper, you get another chance to pass it on the road. JMO

Lucid American
12-05-2007, 07:51 PM
FOR REAL? The Des Moines Registrar is omitting Paul from its coverage???

Wow -- it's becoming clearer day in and day out that the establishment is trying to snuff this thing out. So they shape us into a bunch of conspiracy theorists, downplay his success, then dismiss our protests as paranoia, eh?

Screw'em.

Remember when Paul was left out of that debate in Iowa, then he held his own gathering across the street that turned out more spectators than the debate???

I definitely agree with the idea of running the full page ad directly across from the GOP candidates summary with a big header "AND THEN THERE'S RON PAUL . . ."

Lucid American
12-05-2007, 07:53 PM
I think if you have that much money you should go for billboards! More people will see and read a great eyecatching billboard than an Ad. I don't buy a paper, I read online. Others may think it is too overwhelming and not finish what they started. People drive up and down the expressways everyday. If you missed the ad in the paper, you get another chance to pass it on the road. JMO

Or of course, the billboard idea if there's a really strong artery -- it could read:

Ron Paul not in papers?
#1 in Straw Polls
#1 in fundraising
#1 in active military contributions
Makes 1 wonder.

Mastiff
12-05-2007, 08:14 PM
working on pricing. This is why I haven't posted a chipin because I don't know what the amount will actually be. I will most likely post a chipin tonight because I can't wait any longer on the fundraising.

Look for it tonight or early tomorrow.

We could hash out what we want the content to be before pricing details are ready.

Eric23
12-05-2007, 08:21 PM
I can throw down $25

Lord Xar
12-05-2007, 08:27 PM
We could hash out what we want the content to be before pricing details are ready.

yes and no.

I will be offering probably two 'visuals'. I will allow a few people to make suggestions and modifications based on those critiques.

I have been thru this process too many times and will not subject myself nor everyone else to 20 opinions on an issue... just to have 20 more differing opinions on something else.

Once we settle on two 'mostly done - 95%' visuals.. or one of them. Then I will present it for one last "cleanup". No major changes, just things like spelling, placement etc.....

Lucid American
12-05-2007, 08:54 PM
Paul's website shows that he's participating in the Des Moines Register debate next week -- and they're not giving him any billing in the paper?

Seems like something wrong there.

MozoVote
12-05-2007, 09:02 PM
Seems like something wrong there.

It's as if the Register is doing it's part to get people to believe the conspiracy theories, by making the most ham handed decisions possible.

Mastiff
12-05-2007, 09:17 PM
Once we settle on two 'mostly done - 95%' visuals.. or one of them. Then I will present it for one last "cleanup". No major changes, just things like spelling, placement etc.....

Who's "we"?

John of Des Moines
12-05-2007, 09:19 PM
Please DON'T email the Des Moines Register with complaints. The Campaign is AWARE of the issue and is working on it. Any emails should be short and sweet, why you support Dr. Paul. There may be a change in the Register's reporting on Doctor Paul. Watch the paper tomorrow or Friday.

Thanks,
John

Jojo
12-05-2007, 09:25 PM
Didn't have time to read this whole thread, but I do like to see an add in Iowa.
However, personally I would like to see an add like the one Hamadeh did for the Arab American newspaper. Nice and simple.

LibertyEagle
12-07-2007, 10:20 AM
bump for an update.

nbruno322
12-07-2007, 11:33 AM
Who is coordinating this? is there a chip in or a website? This def. needs to be done with respect to the snub that the register gave Paul the other week. I like the

"Ron Paul not in papers?
#1 in Straw Polls
#1 in fundraising
#1 in active military contributions
Makes 1 wonder.
"

Mastiff
12-10-2007, 04:57 PM
Status?

iamnotanumber
12-12-2007, 07:12 PM
I am considering running the ad myself in the Register this Sunday or next. Any thoughts?

Lord Xar
12-12-2007, 07:18 PM
I put a hold on it because the Iowa market is being saturated with candidate information and based on all the other chipins going on, its a hard sell to generate the kind of money needed to run the ad.

I had to weigh the donations, graphics, and validity of spending that much money in a market that is already saturated. I didn't realize it was so hog crazy there.

Iamnotanumber, IF you want to Run the Ad, I will help as much as I can - but if you can get that reduced rate, then - it might be worth it.

Mark
12-13-2007, 05:20 AM
I am considering running the ad myself in the Register this Sunday or next. Any thoughts?

iamnotanumber, I emailed you with this information and additional details.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Federal Election Commission
999 E Street, NW
Washington, DC 20463

call the FEC in Washington, DC:

800/424-9530 (toll free),

202/694-1100 (local)

202/219-3336 (for hearing impaired).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Brochures

http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/brochures.shtml

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The FEC and the Federal Campaign Finance Law

http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/fecfeca.shtml#Disclosure

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Coordinated Communications and Independent Expenditures

http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/indexp.shtml

Independent Expenditures

An independent expenditure is an expenditure for a communication

“expressly advocating the election or defeat of a clearly identified

candidate that is not made in cooperation, consultation, or concert with,

or at the request or suggestion of, a candidate, a candidate’s authorized

committee, or their agents, or a political party or its agents.”
11 CFR 100.16(a).

Who May Make Independent Expenditures

Persons permitted to make contributions in connection with federal

elections (such as individuals and political committees) may make

independent expenditures. Persons prohibited from making contributions or

expenditures in connection with federal elections (such as corporations,

labor organizations and individuals or businesses with federal government

contracts) are similarly prohibited from making independent expenditures.

However, there is one exception to this rule.

Certain Nonprofit Corporations May Make Independent Expenditures

In Federal Election Commission v. Massachusetts Citizens for Life, Inc. (MCFL), the Supreme Court outlined a limited exception to the general prohibition on corporate expenditures. The Court said that MCFL, a nonprofit corporation, could make independent expenditures because it had certain essential features. These features are included in the Commission’s regulatory definition of Qualified Nonprofit Corporations (QNCs). 11 CFR 114.10. A QNC is a corporation that has all of the following five characteristics:

* It is a nonprofit, social welfare organization described in 26 U.S.C. § 501(c)(4);
* It was formed for the express purpose of promoting political ideas;
* It does not engage in business activities;
* It has no shareholders or other persons affiliated so as to have a claim on its assets or earnings; and
* It was not established by a business corporation or a labor union and does not accept contributions from such entities. 11 CFR 114.10.

Disclaimer Requirement for Independent Expenditures

See above for a list of communications that require a “disclaimer” statement identifying the person paying for the communication.

For messages that are not authorized, and are not financed by a candidate or a candidate committee, the disclaimer statement must:

* State that the communication is not authorized by any candidate or the candidate’s committee; and
* Identify the name and street address, telephone number or World Wide Web address of the person who financed the communication. 11 CFR 109.11, 110.11(a)(2) and (b)(3).

Here is an example of a disclaimer notice for a printed independent expenditure paid for by XYZ PAC:

Paid for by the XYZ PAC and not authorized by any candidate or candidate’s committee. Contact us at: XYZ PAC,
203 First Street SE, Washington, DC 20001

For more information on disclaimers, consult the brochure “Special Notices on Communications and Solicitations.”

Special Notices on Political Ads and Solicitations

http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/notices.shtml

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/14feb20071500/edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2007/janqtr/11cfr100.16.htm

[Page 53]

TITLE 11--FEDERAL ELECTIONS

CHAPTER I--FEDERAL ELECTION COMMISSION

PART 100_SCOPE AND DEFINITIONS (2 U.S.C. 431)--Table of Contents

Subpart A_General Definitions

Sec. 100.16 Independent expenditure (2 U.S.C. 431(17)).

(a) The term independent expenditure means an expenditure by a
person for a communication expressly advocating the election or defeat
of a clearly identified candidate that is not made in cooperation,
consultation, or concert with, or at the request or suggestion of, a
candidate, a candidate's authorized committee, or their agents, or a
political party committee or its agents. A communication is ``made in
cooperation, consultation, or concert with, or at the request or
suggestion of, a candidate, a candidate's authorized committee, or their
agents, or a political party committee or its agents'' if it is a
coordinated communication under 11 CFR 109.21 or a party coordinated
communication under 11 CFR 109.37.
(b) No expenditure by an authorized committee of a candidate on
behalf of that candidate shall qualify as an independent expenditure.
(c) No expenditure shall be considered independent if the person
making the expenditure allows a candidate, a candidate's authorized
committee, or their agents, or a political party committee or its agents
to become materially involved in decisions regarding the communication
as described in 11 CFR 109.21(d)(2), or shares financial responsibility
for the costs of production or dissemination with any such person.

[68 FR 451, Jan. 3, 2003]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Contributions

http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/contrib.shtml

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Federal and State Campaign Finance Laws

http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/statefed.shtml

iamnotanumber
12-13-2007, 10:46 PM
The order's been placed. The ad will run in the Des Moines Sunday Register this Sunday on Page 3A.

Kenso
12-13-2007, 10:54 PM
The order's been placed. The ad will run in the Des Moines Sunday Register this Sunday on Page 3A.

Wow!! Awesome news! Well done! Thanks for stepping up and making it happen.

Man from La Mancha
12-13-2007, 11:04 PM
:D:D

schmeisser
12-13-2007, 11:06 PM

You sir, ROCK!

me3
12-13-2007, 11:10 PM
In case I missed it, what does the ad look like?

iamnotanumber
12-13-2007, 11:12 PM
It's the the ad llepard ran in USA Today. Big thanks to Larry Lepard and Linda Lagana the designer for their help

Man from La Mancha
12-13-2007, 11:16 PM
It's the the ad llepard ran in USA Today. Big thanks to Larry Lepard and Linda Lagana the designer for their help
If not a number are you a letter?:)

iamnotanumber
12-13-2007, 11:17 PM
"The Prisoner" reference. Be seeing you.

Man from La Mancha
12-13-2007, 11:22 PM
"The Prisoner" reference. Be seeing you.
Cool Freeman, I liked that show.:)

slantedview
12-14-2007, 01:04 AM
xar, off topic, but what's up with the phone bank?

Lord Xar
12-14-2007, 01:39 AM
xar, off topic, but what's up with the phone bank?

what do you mean? Its chugging along. We just did tens of thousands in Michigan.

I am getting a bead on the "next" assault. - ie. which state we are gonna hit.
Once I hear, I will post it. We are in the process of getting some more posted calls, custom outgoing messages and pictures of the supporters taking calls.

The fundraising has been a tad slow given the 16th, christmas and such... so after we will going at it hard. A large donor came forward and did matching funds, which is GREAT!

Otherwise its good. Is there something specific you would like to know?

Liberty
12-17-2007, 11:21 AM

Anyone see the ad?

LibertyEagle
12-17-2007, 11:23 AM

Did this happen?

Dave
12-17-2007, 11:32 AM
Did this happen?

Yes! It was the entirety of page 4A (not 3A).