PDA

View Full Version : No Prison Time for Adam Kokesh

green73
09-06-2014, 08:54 AM
A Fairfax County judge gave a gun rights activist a suspended sentence for drug and gun-related convictions Friday that followed a high-profile raid on his then-Herndon home last year.

Adam Kokesh, 32, entered Alford pleas in June to two felonies related to possessing hallucinogenic mushrooms while having an AR-15 assault rifle. Police found both — and other drugs and weapons — inside a cabinet in the basement of his home while serving a July 2013 search warrant.

In an Alford Plea, a defendant does not admit guilt, but acknowledges that prosecutors have enough evidence for a conviction. Circuit Court Judge Lorraine Nordlund said she thought the hardest part of his convictions would be losing his gun rights.

Kokesh, who called the charges “political persecution” and struck a combative tone at previous hearings, was contrite at the sentencing.

He said he had moved to California, wrote a book about freedom and started a business and Web site around it. At one point, Kokesh held up a T-shirt with the word “Freedom” written on it, as he explained to Nordlund his recent activities.

“Violence itself is the greatest violation of freedom,” Kokesh told the judge. “I’m the opposite of dangerous.”

cont.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/adam-kokesh-gets-no-jail-time-on-drug-gun-convictions/2014/09/05/e9aa0d0a-353e-11e4-8f02-03c644b2d7d0_story.html

Cap
09-06-2014, 08:56 AM
A Fairfax County judge gave a gun rights activist a suspended sentence for drug and gun-related convictions Friday that followed a high-profile raid on his then-Herndon home last year.
Adam Kokesh, 32, entered Alford pleas in June to two felonies related to possessing hallucinogenic mushrooms while having an AR-15 assault rifle. Police found both — and other drugs and weapons — inside a cabinet in the basement of his home while serving a July 2013 search warrant.

In an Alford Plea, a defendant does not admit guilt, but acknowledges that prosecutors have enough evidence for a conviction. Circuit Court Judge Lorraine Nordlund said she thought the hardest part of his convictions would be losing his gun rights.
Kokesh, who called the charges “political persecution” and struck a combative tone at previous hearings, was contrite at the sentencing.
He said he had moved to California, wrote a book about freedom and started a business and Web site around it. At one point, Kokesh held up a T-shirt with the word “Freedom” written on it, as he explained to Nordlund his recent activities.

“Violence itself is the greatest violation of freedom,” Kokesh told the judge. “I’m the opposite of dangerous.”
He added later: “I apologize to the commonwealth of Virginia and citizens of Herndon. This situation will never happen again.”
Earlier in the hearing, Fairfax County prosecutor Matthew Kapuscinski rejected the idea that the charges were politically motivated.
“This is not a case of political persecution or civil disobedience,” Kapuscinski said. “It’s reckless and irresponsible.”
Kokesh, a Marine Corps veteran of the Iraq War, gained notoriety after posting a video of himself loading and racking a shotgun on the District’s Freedom Plaza on July 4, 2013. The video was filmed less than a week before the raid. Kokesh later pleaded guilty to charges related to the incident.
After the hearing, Kokesh said he was happy with the sentence. He unbuttoned a white dress shirt he was wearing to reveal a black T-shirt underneath identical to the one he displayed in court. He then posed for a picture with the word “Freedom” revealed.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/adam-kokesh-gets-no-jail-time-on-drug-gun-convictions/2014/09/05/e9aa0d0a-353e-11e4-8f02-03c644b2d7d0_story.html

Deborah K
09-06-2014, 09:01 AM
Glad to hear it.

tangent4ronpaul
09-06-2014, 09:13 AM
Guy wants freedom. Moves to one of the most un-free states in the country... :rolleyes:

-t

tangent4ronpaul
09-06-2014, 09:15 AM
Didn't he spend a lot of time in jail pre-trial?

-t

donnay
09-06-2014, 09:41 AM
I am so glad for Adam.

Cap
09-06-2014, 09:45 AM
Green73 beat me by 2 minutes on the post...story of my life.:p

RickyJ
09-06-2014, 09:50 AM
Did he lose his right to own a gun? I hope this is not the case.

CPUd
09-06-2014, 09:54 AM

Yes, he was convicted on 2 felonies.

Czolgosz
09-06-2014, 09:57 AM
The right to own a gun was lost long ago...most have simply not acknowledged the truth.

torchbearer
09-06-2014, 09:57 AM

since his plea doesn't not include the admission of guilt, i think he retains the right as he is not considered a felon.
If he became a felon, he could move to louisiana and still have a gun.
Our citizens voted in a constitional amendment that instructed judges to use the strictest interpretation of the 2nd amendment. Since then, they have ruled that felons can own guns and that people can have guns in bars. The last thing to be challenged in the need for a permit to conceal carry. Which will fall once its challenged.

green73
09-06-2014, 09:58 AM

It kind of sounds that way. Hopefully it's just in Fairfax Co. or Virginia.

William Tell
09-06-2014, 10:08 AM
since his plea doesn't not include the admission of guilt, i think he retains the right as he is not considered a felon.

The article I read said he is no longer allowed to own guns.

torchbearer
09-06-2014, 10:17 AM
The article I read said he is no longer allowed to own guns.

Then I invite him to move to a state that respects his right to own and carry fire arms.

CPUd
09-06-2014, 10:19 AM
Different states have different allowances. In TN, you can keep them if they are antique/heirloom type weapons, and kept locked separate from ammo.

tod evans
09-06-2014, 10:23 AM

A federal conviction is enough to "ban" legal firearm possession in all 50 states including Louisiana...Regardless of the type of plea.

Does anyone know how long Adam has to report to the feds?

[edit]

Some states may not prosecute federal ex-cons for firearms violations but you can bet your ass the DA will turn it over to the feds just for the brownie points...

Brian4Liberty
09-06-2014, 10:24 AM
Didn't he spend a lot of time in jail pre-trial?

-t

He has spent a lot of time in jail as a political prisoner.

CPUd
09-06-2014, 10:30 AM
I read somewhere he was in for 114 days. That was long enough for him to find out who his true friends were, so he did get something out of it.

cajuncocoa
09-06-2014, 10:41 AM
Glad to hear this news!

tangent4ronpaul
09-06-2014, 10:48 AM
I read somewhere he was in for 114 days. That was long enough for him to find out who his true friends were, so he did get something out of it.

Yes, but that was a mess and I never heard of it getting clearly resolved as to what happened.

Different states have different allowances. In TN, you can keep them if they are antique/heirloom type weapons, and kept locked separate from ammo.

There are machine guns on the curio and relics list...

-t

KingNothing
09-06-2014, 11:49 AM
An adult was put in a cage for owning something the Constitution explicitly says is legal, and a fungus.

Land of the free, indeed.

In any event, I'm happy that the violence inflicted upon him was limited and is over now. Hopefully he turns this into a moral, and financial, positive and gains from it. I'm certain that he will. He seems like a great guy.

brandon
09-06-2014, 06:57 PM
I've talked my share of shit on the guy, but definitely glad to see they didn't throw the book at him. Hope he can put this all behind him soon.

Brett85
09-06-2014, 08:18 PM
I wonder how long it will take Kokesh to land back in prison.

Brett85
09-06-2014, 08:21 PM
Not saying these gun laws and drug laws are just. Just saying he would be smart to not intentionally do things that will get him in trouble and should instead focus on more constructive political activism.

RonPaulIsGreat
09-06-2014, 09:36 PM
If you want to smoke pot/other drugs in areas it is illegal, invest in metal doors, that will give you enough time to flush a reasonable amount of evidence.

pcosmar
09-06-2014, 10:00 PM
What the fuck good is that? seriously

What good is a gun you can't use?

What good is a gun with a lock on it or one locked in a safe?

pcosmar
09-06-2014, 10:03 PM

Actually,, he found out his friends weren't. Which is also very good to know.

Carlybee
09-06-2014, 10:09 PM
Yay Adam!

Christian Liberty
09-06-2014, 10:18 PM

In this society the bad people stay out of prison and many of the best go. I don't see the problem with civil disobedience.

Christian Liberty
09-06-2014, 10:19 PM
In this society the bad people stay out of prison and many of the best go. I don't see the problem with civil disobedience.

And frankly, I'm tired of people (not necessarily you) who act like disobeying random govt. edicts is somehow immoral, while threatening violence against people when the government says its OK is somehow morally acceptable.

The Free Hornet
09-06-2014, 10:23 PM
Guy wants freedom. Moves to one of the most un-free states in the country... :rolleyes:

-t

I thought he wanted to fight for freedom and he moved to the front lines. What's with this :rolleyes: shit?

fr33
09-06-2014, 10:31 PM
I'm glad he's not going back but too bad they took his legal gun rights away. (Go bury some in the desert.)

Hopefully never. He stopped calling his show Adam vs The Man. I heard him talk about why and it sounded like he doesn't want to keep being the guy marching on the front line like he had been. I can't blame him for that.

speciallyblend
09-07-2014, 12:30 AM
breakout the snowboard Adam Kokesh, Wolverines COLORADO MTNS, woot woot, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A51gkF7eu_A&hd=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A51gkF7eu_A&hd=1

Matt Collins
09-07-2014, 08:26 AM
I am glad he got off, largely because he didn't infringe on anyone's rights during his antics... but he is not very smart about things and he makes himself very unsympathetic due to his actions and rhetoric.... imagine him going before a jury for example.

Also, half the point of civil disobedience is to show how sympathetic your cause is and how ridicules the government is behaving. When one's actions or rhetoric overshadow the point you're making and turn people off of you, then it is kind of self-defeating.

Working Poor
09-07-2014, 08:52 AM
I am glad that Adam does not have to go to prison.

Carlybee
09-07-2014, 08:57 AM
I am glad he got off, largely because he didn't infringe on anyone's rights during his antics... but he is not very smart about things and he makes himself very unsympathetic due to his actions and rhetoric.... imagine him going before a jury for example.

Also, half the point of civil disobedience is to show how sympathetic your cause is and how ridicules the government is behaving. When one's actions or rhetoric overshadow the point you're making and turn people off of you, then it is kind of self-defeating.

Kind of like staffers of a political campaign that prides itself on integrity, yet due to not very smart actions end up being criminally indicted?

Cap
09-07-2014, 09:35 AM
Ah, the hobbit has come out of his hole.

jjdoyle
09-07-2014, 06:18 PM
but he is not very smart about things and he makes himself very unsympathetic due to his actions and rhetoric

I think that portion of your comment, was actually meant for these threads (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?459250-Rand-Paul-Changing-Feathers-Now-Flying-With-the-Hawks&p=5641762&viewfull=1#post5641762), and regarding someone else?
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?458822-Jesse-Benton-resigns-as-Mitch-McConnell-s-campaign-manager

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?423484-Very-Serious-Allegations-Made-Against-2012-Ron-Paul-Campaign-Manager-Jesse-Benton

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?423908-Jesse-Benton-I-didn-t-mean-it-was-only-trying-to-appease-quot-hardcore-Ron-Paul-supporter-quot

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?447940-Do-you-want-Jesse-Benton-involved-in-any-capacity-in-Rand-Paul-2016

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?389767-Tom-Woods-My-Memories-of-Jesse-Benton

TomtheTinker
09-07-2014, 10:56 PM
I wish I got that lucky.

KingNothing
09-08-2014, 07:59 AM
In this society the bad people stay out of prison and many of the best go.

Yeah, we have too many people in prison but I don't believe that "many of the best," end up there. Most people go about their day in a productive manner and avoid any confrontation whatsoever with those in positions to arrest them.

Deborah K
09-08-2014, 11:27 AM
Not saying these gun laws and drug laws are just. Just saying he would be smart to not intentionally do things that will get him in trouble and should instead focus on more constructive political activism.

Yeah be safe, at all costs. Forget about having the courage of your convictions. And make sure you poll your decisions so as not to incur any criticism for the way you choose to live your life. Damnit.

Deborah K
09-08-2014, 11:31 AM

Uh...your opinion seems to be in the minority here.....

kylejack
09-08-2014, 11:34 AM
What I find strange about Kokesh is that he goes and does the thing for civil disobedience, and then rather than fighting it out and embarrassing them in court he just rolls over and pleads guilty. Did he not understand what he was getting into, or something?

I wonder why he didn't just shoot a green screen video that made it appear as if he was loading a shotgun in DC while not actually doing so. If he just wanted to troll the authorities that might have been better.

jllundqu
09-08-2014, 11:36 AM

Agreed. If Adam had "stuck to his guns" (pun intended) he could have taken the gun ban to the supreme court, but they got him for the drugs/guns mix (922g). If he had not had drugs in the house, he could have appealed any charge against him for just loading the shotgun in Freedom Plaza... that would have been a badass fight. Not saying that I support drug laws, but Adam could have made a much bigger impact if he had just stuck to the gun issue.

Deborah K
09-08-2014, 11:37 AM
What I find strange about Kokesh is that he goes and does the thing for civil disobedience, and then rather than fighting it out and embarrassing them in court he just rolls over and pleads guilty. Did he not understand what he was getting into, or something?

I wonder why he didn't just shoot a green screen video that made it appear as if he was loading a shotgun in DC while not actually doing so. If he just wanted to troll the authorities that might have been better.

Monday morning quarterbacking, hindsight, second guessing.....

I'm sure he wishes he had done things differently. It may have seemed worth it, until he realized his close circle of "friends" were nothing but feeding-frenzy-sharks!

kylejack
09-08-2014, 11:39 AM
Then there was all the money that was collected for his legal defense, which went in someone's pocket, I guess.

MRK
09-11-2014, 03:51 PM
Agreed. If Adam had "stuck to his guns" (pun intended) he could have taken the gun ban to the supreme court, but they got him for the drugs/guns mix (922g). If he had not had drugs in the house, he could have appealed any charge against him for just loading the shotgun in Freedom Plaza... that would have been a badass fight. Not saying that I support drug laws, but Adam could have made a much bigger impact if he had just stuck to the gun issue.

There is no legal method of forcing a Supreme Court hearing on any case. Their review of any given case is entirely at the will of the Supreme Court. They choose the cases they want to hear, and no more.

It's good to be one of the nine costumed Ringwraiths.

CPUd
09-11-2014, 06:11 PM

I don't think he had a full understanding of what he was up against until he had some time to sit in lockup and see what was happening to other people in there, and realize he was doing a lot better than they were.

Bastiat's The Law
09-11-2014, 08:12 PM
Looks like my post got deleted.