PDA

View Full Version : Florida Boy, 14, Handcuffed, Arrested For Refusing To Go To Middle School

Suzanimal
09-05-2014, 06:38 AM
Where's Dad?

Florida Boy, 14, Handcuffed, Arrested For Refusing To Go To Middle School

A Florida middle school student was arrested this week for refusing to leave bed and go to school.

The 14-year-old boy’s mother called police Tuesday morning for assistance when her child refused to go to R.J. Murray Middle School in St. Augustine (where the school year opened August 18).

When St. John’s County Sheriff’s Office deputies arrived, the teen’s 42-year-old mother said that she had taken away her son’s laptop and cellphone, and disconnected Internet service in their residence in response to her son’s refusal to attend classes.

The teenager--who recently moved to Florida from New York with his mother--did not appear concerned when deputies told him he faced arrest. “Do what you gotta do,” the teen said. “I’m not going to school.”

Deputies then arrested the boy--who was sitting on his bed--for resisting without violence/obstruction of justice, a misdemeanor. The child was handcuffed and transported to the county jail (from which he was later released into his mother's custody).

The woman told deputies that her son “failed grades in New York for skipping school, as well as being in trouble with the law.”

http://thesmokinggun.com/buster/boy-arrested-for-refusing-to-go-to-school-675432

RJB
09-05-2014, 07:19 AM
I moved around a lot as a kid and went to about 6 different schools and constantly faced bullies-- teachers and students. I was finally homeschooled my sophomore and junior year in high school, took the GED a year early and joined the Marines. When I went back to college, I noticed I had this tension in me for months and I realized I was waiting for someone to start a fight with me in the halls. It was liberating realizing I was an adult and other students wouldn't mess with me.

I can't fault the kid in the story. If I had more balls, I'd have done the same thing. Public education is about the cruelest thing we do to kids. Gradeschool, highschool and especially college do absolutely nothing to prepare someone for the real world other than indoctrinating them to trust authority figures who are usually wrong and self-serving.

Suzanimal
09-05-2014, 07:27 AM
Oh I don't blame the kid for not wanting to go to school, I didn't either and I was fairly well liked. I'm noticing a disturbing trend of parents calling the police on their own children.

I moved around a lot as a kid and went to about 6 different schools and constantly faced bullies-- teachers and students. I was finally homeschooled my sophomore and junior year in high school, took the GED a year early and joined the Marines. When I went back to college, I noticed I had this tension in me for months and I realized I was waiting for someone to start a fight with me in the halls. It was liberating realizing I was an adult and other students wouldn't mess with me.

I can't fault the kid in the story. If I had more balls, I'd have done the same thing. Public education is about the cruelest thing we do to kids. Gradeschool, highschool and especially college do absolutely nothing to prepare someone for the real world other than indoctrinating them to trust authority figures who are usually wrong and self-serving.

tod evans
09-05-2014, 07:30 AM
I'm noticing a disturbing trend of parents calling the police on their own children.

Parent, singular every time.......

(You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Suzanimal again.)

RJB
09-05-2014, 07:38 AM
Oh I don't blame the kid for not wanting to go to school, I didn't either and I was fairly well liked. I'm noticing a disturbing trend of parents calling the police on their own children.
I guess I wasn't really directing this at anyone-- just venting. I'm fine now :)

presence
09-05-2014, 07:44 AM

Noticed that too. Mommy and Daddy has become Momma and The State.

tod evans
09-05-2014, 07:55 AM
Noticed that too. Mommy and Daddy has become Momma and The State.

Way too often the state pays better...

Especially if she can squirt out several kids from different fathers...

presence
09-05-2014, 11:41 AM
If refusing to go to middle school is worthy of arrest and imprisonment, then middle school itself is prison.

NorfolkPCSolutions
09-05-2014, 01:59 PM
Best comment from TSG peanut gallery:

"...at least they didn't shoot him."

Indeed.

pessimist
09-05-2014, 02:14 PM
Where's Dad?

Probably wondering how is going to pay child support for his other 3 or 4 kids, and kicking himself for not wearing a rubber.

Or he is off killing muslims in the mountains of Afghanistan.

Or he is in prison or dead or in rehab.

Or maybe his identity is unknown do to the promiscuity of the mother?

Who knows?

Anyway, we need to radically change our educational system in this country. Quit forcing kids into a curriculum that they don't benefit from. Some people were born for higher education, while others were born to be auto mechanics and construction workers and chefs and mailmen and janitors.

We should have different curriculums based on the needs of the students.

Acala
09-05-2014, 02:29 PM
A mother knocks on her son's bedroom door and says "Get up! You need to go to school!"

The son says "I don't WANT to go to school!"

"But you must!" says the mother.

"No!" says the son "and I'll give you three reasons why not: 1. All the kids hate me; 2. The classes are boring; and 3. I would rather go fishing."

"Well, I'll give you three reasons why you MUST go to school" says the mother: "1. I want you to; 2. It is your duty; and 3. you're the principal!"

Warrior_of_Freedom
09-05-2014, 02:51 PM

I'm well into adulthood and still suffer mentally from all the torment I had to go through for 13-14 years in the public school system.

Schifference
09-05-2014, 03:09 PM
how does going to jail solve the problem of not attending school?

Warrior_of_Freedom
09-05-2014, 03:10 PM

yeah it is kind of the same thing isn't it? and I guess each additional day of school missed while serving in jail counts as another tardy/infraction!

donnay
09-05-2014, 03:26 PM

At least if he goes to school he gets to go home an night. SMH

pessimist
09-05-2014, 03:34 PM
Probably wondering how is going to pay child support for his other 3 or 4 kids, and kicking himself for not wearing a rubber.

Or he is off killing muslims in the mountains of Afghanistan.

Or he is in prison or dead or in rehab.

Or maybe his identity is unknown do to the promiscuity of the mother?

Who knows?

Anyway, we need to radically change our educational system in this country. Quit forcing kids into a curriculum that they don't benefit from. Some people were born for higher education, while others were born to be auto mechanics and construction workers and chefs and mailmen and janitors.

We should have different curriculums based on the needs of the students.

I obviously don't care about grammar or spelling or anything, but since Weird Al's Word Crimes is playing in the background I feel a bit inspired to correct an error in my previous post. I believe I should have said "due" rather than "do".

But then again, I may have been correct the first time. Any grammar nazi here to confirm?

Anti Federalist
09-05-2014, 03:36 PM
I obviously don't care about grammar or spelling or anything, but since Weird Al's Word Crimes is playing in the background I feel a bit inspired to correct an error in my previous post. I believe I should have said "due" rather than "do".

But then again, I may have been correct the first time. Any grammar nazi here to confirm?

*due

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc

PaulConventionWV
09-05-2014, 06:02 PM

You were not correct the first time. It is "due."

pessimist
09-05-2014, 08:03 PM
You were not correct the first time. It is "due."

Thanks.

euphemia
09-05-2014, 08:12 PM
The boy didn't say he didn't want to learn. He said he didn't want to go to school. I wonder if it occurred to his mother that there might have been another option. The family owned a cell phone, computer, and had internet. They had some resources.

TheTexan
09-05-2014, 09:27 PM

(You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Suzanimal again.)

Well, if she didn't, she would have gone to jail for contributing to non-attendance under state truancy laws. Because school is important... for their.. education.

PRB
09-06-2014, 11:24 AM
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/boy-arrested-for-refusing-to-go-to-school-675432

Dr.3D
09-06-2014, 11:31 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?459257-Florida-Boy-14-Handcuffed-Arrested-For-Refusing-To-Go-To-Middle-School&highlight=middle+school

PRB
09-06-2014, 11:49 AM
oops, sorry