PDA

View Full Version : City settles with Brooklyn men arrested by NYPD cops who confused Jolly Rancher candies for cr

Suzanimal
09-05-2014, 06:13 AM
Heroes.

http://i.imgur.com/GqnvPAGm.jpg

City settles with Brooklyn men arrested by NYPD cops who confused Jolly Rancher candies for crystal meth

The city has dispensed a sweet settlement to three Brooklyn men who sued the NYPD after cops bizarrely mistook Jolly Rancher candies for crystal meth, the Daily News has learned.

With their $33,000 payday, plaintiffs Love Olatunjiojo, Omar Ferriera and Jimmy Santos no longer have a sour taste in their mouths over the trippy busts last year in Coney Island.

The city admitted no wrongdoing on the part of the cops, arguing they couldn’t be sure whether the red and blue rocks were illicit drugs or candy, according to the plaintiffs’ lawyer Kenneth Smith.:rolleyes:

“To my knowledge there is no evidence in the scientific literature that crystal meth looks like Jolly Ranchers or rock candy, other than from the ‘Breaking Bad’ TV show,” Smith told The News.

“Walter White may dictate what drugs look like in TV land, but not the narcotics policy of the NYPD,” Smith added, referring to the meth-dealing lead character of the acclaimed show.

Olatunjiojo, 26, and Ferriera 23, were stopped by the cops shortly after leaving the It’Sugar candy emporium on Surf Ave. where they had purchased various sweet treats including Jolly Ranchers, according to papers filed in Brooklyn Federal Court.

Police Officers Jermaine Taylor and Jovanny Calderon handcuffed the men and claimed that an undercover colleague had observed them selling drugs, the court papers state.

“Finding only candy, including the Jolly Rancher candy mentioned, the officers repeatedly searched Ferreira and Olatunjiojo and told them it was ‘only a matter of time before they found something,’” the suit states.

Sano, 27, standing nearby with his 3-year-old daughter, protested the arrests of his two friends. Officer Diana Pichardo ordered Sano’s arrest and he was allegedly punched in the face by an unidentified cop before all three men were transported to the 60th Precinct station house.

Court documents filed in connection with the drug possession charges against Olatunjiojo and Ferriera asserted that the cops had performed a field test on the candy and it tested positive for a controlled substance. Sano was charged with obstructing government administration. They spent about 24 hours in custody before a judge released them on their own recognize.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/city-settles-men-arrested-nypd-cops-confused-jolly-ranchers-crystal-meth-article-1.1927186#ixzz3CRS0lFos

tod evans
09-05-2014, 06:23 AM
Where's AF's "Thank You Police" picture?

specsaregood
09-05-2014, 06:34 AM
Court documents filed in connection with the drug possession charges against Olatunjiojo and Ferriera asserted that the cops had performed a field test on the candy and it tested positive for a controlled substance.

So basically these field tests are no different than the drug dogs and can be made to return whatever result the cop wants? And these are still considered a valid reason to take somebody into custody?

Suzanimal
09-05-2014, 06:45 AM
So basically these field tests are no different than the drug dogs and can be made to return whatever result the cop wants?

Yes.

And these are still considered a valid reason to take somebody into custody?

Of course! Better to be safe than sorry.

Christian Liberty
09-05-2014, 06:47 AM
Why is crystal meth illegal?

tod evans
09-05-2014, 06:54 AM

It's the damn truckers fault....;)

specsaregood
09-05-2014, 07:03 AM
It's the damn truckers fault....;)

Reminds me a bit I read on the bathroom wall of a truckstop in kingman, AZ years ago.

Just rolled into town
and my truck broke down.
So being a super mother trucker
I did a line and pushed the fucker.

of all the stuff I've read on bathroom stalls over the years, that one stuck with me.

Barrex
09-05-2014, 07:34 AM
So basically these field tests are no different than the drug dogs and can be made to return whatever result the cop wants? And these are still considered a valid reason to take somebody into custody?

Same thing happens with gunpowder residue test. Cops have gunpowder residue on their hands and they touch surface that will be tested for gunpowder residue. When tests are complete they are positive.

Many of the test that police are doing are bullshit. Some because they are not scientific like lie detector and some like gunpowder residue and drug tests because they are done the wrong way.

specsaregood
09-05-2014, 07:40 AM
Many of the test that police are doing are bullshit. Some because they are not scientific like lie detector

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN7pkFNEg5c&feature=player_detailpage#t=100

jkr
09-05-2014, 09:14 AM
“Finding only candy, including the Jolly Rancher candy mentioned, the officers repeatedly searched Ferreira and Olatunjiojo and told them it was ‘only a matter of time before they found something,’”

WHAT
THE ACTUAL
FUCK
?

Working Poor
09-05-2014, 10:48 AM

because FU that's why

Barrex
09-05-2014, 11:47 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN7pkFNEg5c&feature=player_detailpage#t=100

HA HA HA... Didnt watch that episode.

Antischism
09-05-2014, 11:54 AM
They were obviously going to make 'purple drank' or some other urban youth concoction that gives them super powers such as dehumanizing stares and fingers that shoot bullets. These cops are heroes. Who knows what would have happened if they were allowed to keep that candy.

HOLLYWOOD
09-05-2014, 01:23 PM
Did the money come out of the Perpetrators Department pockets, or are the taxpayers picking up the tab again?