PDA

View Full Version : Ebola death toll passes 1,900, says WHO

tangent4ronpaul
09-04-2014, 07:46 AM
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-29055041

On Tuesday medical charity Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) warned that a global military intervention was needed to combat the outbreak.

MSF condemned the global response so far as "lethally inadequate" and said the world was "losing the battle" to contain the outbreak.

It has called for military and civilian teams capable of dealing with a biological disaster to be deployed immediately, as well as for more field hospitals with isolation wards to be set up, trained healthcare workers to be sent to the region and air support to move patients and medics across West Africa.

-t

orenbus
09-04-2014, 08:26 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO2-YxWkRxk

Ronin Truth
09-04-2014, 09:24 AM
WHO, first base.

(Sorry, just couldn't resist.)

Acala
09-04-2014, 09:39 AM
Forget ebola. Chikungunya is coming to town. You heard it here first.

Carlybee
09-04-2014, 11:19 AM
Just wait til it hits the US. We have around 4 million residents in Houston give or take. A lot of convenience stores employ people from Africa. They do go home to visit relatives. If it gets into mainstream Africa, it will be here sooner or later.

Ronin Truth
09-04-2014, 11:27 AM
Chikungunya Google bomb incoming: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=Chikungunya&gbv=2&oq=Chikungunya&gs_l=heirloom-hp.12...3724703.3724703.0.3726547.1.1.0.0.0.0.0.0. .0.0....0...1ac..34.heirloom-hp..1.0.0.iqh0rixT1JU

Carlybee
09-04-2014, 12:37 PM

But it's rarely fatal...Ebola is very fatal. Chikungunya is debilitating and painful. Ebola causes you to hemorrhage internally.

Dr.3D
09-04-2014, 12:57 PM
Just wait til it hits the US. We have around 4 million residents in Houston give or take. A lot of convenience stores employ people from Africa. They do go home to visit relatives. If it gets into mainstream Africa, it will be here sooner or later.
So is that what the FEMA camps are for?

orenbus
09-04-2014, 02:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bH_fCvNLCw

Acala
09-04-2014, 04:14 PM
But it's rarely fatal...Ebola is very fatal. Chikungunya is debilitating and painful. Ebola causes you to hemorrhage internally.

Worry if you like, but ebola is nothing new and has killed very few people. Unless it changes dramatically you will never be at risk. But unless a vaccine is developed pretty quick you will probably end up with chikungunya. Forever.

luctor-et-emergo
09-04-2014, 04:31 PM
I watched a documentary on the 1995 outbreak, where apparently the last 9 patients infected were transfused with the blood of people that had survived ebola, and 8 out of these 9 survived eventually. According to the documentary this started when one of the nurses got sick and they were considering trying this experimental method but western doctors were opposed because then the patient could get hepatitis or some other disease. Eventually they do the transfusion in secret (and get busted, which is on video in the documentary, some Belgian doctor walks in angry while they are doing it, with no face mask). Anyways this nurse gets better and they decide to do the same thing on their other patients, 7 out of 8 recover. The documentary ends by saying that the western doctors did not believe the transfusion had anything to do with those peoples survival.

After watching it I was like. Huh, why have I not read about that anywhere before ? I'm not sure how to verify if this actually happened but it seems reasonable. I don't think it's reasonable to say that a transfusion is not the cause of recovery from one of the most lethal viruses when 8/9 receiving the treatment recover. Even though viruses get less potent near the end of their outbreak, this recovery rate is un-ebola-like.

This is the video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jTR1-bFtvvw

Brian4Liberty
09-04-2014, 04:53 PM
I watched a documentary on the 1995 outbreak, where apparently the last 9 patients infected were transfused with the blood of people that had survived ebola, and 8 out of these 9 survived eventually. According to the documentary this started when one of the nurses got sick and they were considering trying this experimental method but western doctors were opposed because then the patient could get hepatitis or some other disease. Eventually they do the transfusion in secret (and get busted, which is on video in the documentary, some Belgian doctor walks in angry while they are doing it, with no face mask). Anyways this nurse gets better and they decide to do the same thing on their other patients, 7 out of 8 recover. The documentary ends by saying that the western doctors did not believe the transfusion had anything to do with those peoples survival.

After watching it I was like. Huh, why have I not read about that anywhere before ? I'm not sure how to verify if this actually happened but it seems reasonable. I don't think it's reasonable to say that a transfusion is not the cause of recovery from one of the most lethal viruses when 8/9 receiving the treatment recover. Even though viruses get less potent near the end of their outbreak, this recovery rate is un-ebola-like.

This is the video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jTR1-bFtvvw

IIRC, this has been done in the current outbreak as well.

Brian4Liberty
09-04-2014, 04:56 PM

Maybe not actually first... ;)

And now there’s the threat of chikungunya, the latest scary mosquito-borne disease hitting the Caribbean (and it could move north, to the U.S.)

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?455604-Make-Your-Own-All-Natural-Bug-Repellent

Ronin Truth
09-04-2014, 05:25 PM
But it's rarely fatal...Ebola is very fatal. Chikungunya is debilitating and painful. Ebola causes you to hemorrhage internally. Wait till the Army gets done weaponizing it too, at Fort Dietrich or at some super secret development base.

luctor-et-emergo
09-04-2014, 05:27 PM
IIRC, this has been done in the current outbreak as well.

If you happen to find some references to that, please post them here. It got me interested.

brushfire
09-04-2014, 06:16 PM

Yea, I was just talking with my doctor about this morning. I'm doing some international travel and had to get my shots so I could make port of entry. There's actually one worse, and that's dengue fever. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dengue_fever

Both are spread by mosquitoes and WILL fk your day up.

Carlybee
09-04-2014, 06:24 PM
Yea, I was just talking with my doctor about this morning. I'm doing some international travel and had to get my shots so I could make port of entry. There's actually one worse, and that's dengue fever. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dengue_fever

We have West Nile here...no walk in the park either.

tangent4ronpaul
09-04-2014, 06:30 PM
If you happen to find some references to that, please post them here. It got me interested.

I've seen nothing in print, but I believe it was mentioned on AJAM that this was done to the 2 aid workers that were flown to the US for Tx.

-t

brushfire
09-04-2014, 07:12 PM
We have West Nile here...no walk in the park either.

Ah yes, we've got that around here too. Perhaps not this year as this summer has been paradise on earth. Mosquito season was bad for 3 weeks, and is basically non-existent now. I've never had it clinically confirmed, but I believe my family has had west nile over the past few years. I bet there is a greater part of the population who have had it that dont even know it.

Needless to say, its ironic how valuable deet has become. In the 80's it was said to cause cancer and a number of other problems. The highest concentration was like 9%. Now 40-50% are not uncommon - in fact, anything less than 30% is considered ineffective.

With that - there are few things more satisfying to me than "dehorning" mosquitoes. That, and watching the brown bats feeding at dusk. What a wretched creature, the mosquito is.

DevilsAdvocate
09-04-2014, 10:30 PM
What a wretched creature, the mosquito is.

Does the mosquito serve any purpose at all in the food chain? Would the world miss the mosquito?

Ronin Truth
09-05-2014, 05:09 AM
Does the mosquito serve any purpose at all in the food chain? Would the world miss the mosquito?

Well if you could load a bunch up with a some good stuff, they'd make pretty efficient delivery systems. Just an idle speculative brainstorm.

Anti Federalist
09-05-2014, 05:57 AM
That, and watching the brown bats feeding at dusk. What a wretched creature, the mosquito is.

And ticks...totally worthless in the great scheme of things, just one of those things that were thrown into the mix, I swear, just for mother nature to troll us and get some cheap laughs.

CaptUSA
09-05-2014, 06:40 AM
And ticks...totally worthless in the great scheme of things, just one of those things that were thrown into the mix, I swear, just for mother nature to troll us and get some cheap laughs.

Mosquitoes, ticks, government employees... Just parasitic annoyances that make us spend our money fending them off and end up infecting us with diseases that make us sick or kill us. Damn them all.

orenbus
09-05-2014, 06:54 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf3M2VNQ0eo

American Ebola patient arrives in Nebraska for treatment

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/05/health/ebola-american-patient/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

(CNN) -- Another American doctor infected with the deadly Ebola virus has arrived home for treatment in the United States.

A plane carrying Dr. Rick Sacra landed Friday morning in Omaha, Nebraska, and he will be taken to Omaha's Nebraska Medical Center, center spokeswoman Jenny Nowatzke said.

Sacra, the third American with the Ebola virus to return to the United States for treatment, was stationed in Liberia when he was exposed to the virus.

His wife, Debbie Sacra, said he was "clearly sick" but was in "good spirits" and was able to walk onto the plane in Liberia before the flight to Nebraska. "We are really encouraged by that news and are looking forward to reuniting with him," she said.

The physician was admitted to an Ebola case management center last weekend near a hospital in Monrovia where he has served for 15 years.

"Rick was receiving excellent care from our SIM/ELWA staff in Liberia at our Ebola 2 Care Center," said Bruce Johnson, president of SIM USA, the aid organization for which Sacra works. "They all love and admire him deeply. However, the Nebraska Medical Center provides advanced monitoring equipment and wider availability of treatment options."

Sacra, who is from Holden, Massachusetts, was not treating Ebola patients directly. Instead he was delivering babies at a general hospital in Monrovia, Johnson said.

"I am surrounded by friends and family and the body of Christ, who are a great encouragement and who are praying fervently for Rick's recovery along with me," his wife said in a statement. "We are trusting in God to be with Rick and us through this difficult circumstance.

"Rick would want me to urge you to remember that there are many people in Liberia who are suffering in this epidemic and others who are not receiving standard health care because clinics and hospitals have been forced to close. West Africa is on the verge of a humanitarian crisis, and the world needs to respond compassionately and generously."

Sacra had been to Liberia with SIM before, and volunteered to go again after he heard fellow missionaries Nancy Writebol and Dr. Kent Brantly had contracted the virus, Johnson said. Brantly and Writebol were flown to Atlanta last month for treatment at Emory University Hospital and have since been released.

Sacra started to show symptoms of hemorrhagic fever August 29. Health care workers did an Ebola test on him Monday, which came back positive for the deadly virus.

Sacra was following all protocols and taking necessary precautions against Ebola, Johnson said. It is unclear how he became infected, but SIM is working with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to determine the point of contact.

tangent4ronpaul
09-05-2014, 08:20 AM

Virus taxi, bird n bat chow...

-t

Acala
09-05-2014, 10:39 AM

But if the dengue doesn't kill you, you are done with it. Chikungunya is forever. The reason I know a little about this is that I know a woman who had both. At first she thought the chikungunya was her dengue fever coming back but she knew it didn't do that (she's an MD) so she couldn't figure out what was going on. She eventually went to the CDC for a diagnosis.