PDA

View Full Version : WIRED MAGAZINE - Ron Paul: How a Fringe Politician Took Over the Web

Trance Dance Master
06-27-2007, 07:05 AM
http://www.wired.com/politics/onlinerights/news/2007/06/ron_paul

Ron Paul: How a Fringe Politician Took Over the Web
Brendan Spiegel Email 06.27.07 | 2:00 AM

When Texas Congressman Ron Paul entered the race for next year's Republican presidential nomination, few political analysts paid much notice.

Paul has no backing from political bigwigs or any campaign war chest to speak of. As the Libertarian Party presidential nominee in 1988 he won less than one-half of 1 percent of the national vote.

Yet despite his status among the longest of the long shots, the 71-year-old has become one of the internet's most omnipresent –- and some say most irritating -– subjects.

According to Technorati, "Ron Paul" is one of the web's most searched-for terms. News about Paul has an outsize presence on Digg and reddit, two sites that allow users to highlight their preferred content. Paul's YouTube channel has been viewed over one million times, dwarfing efforts from competitors like John McCain and Rudy Giuliani. The Ron Paul internet boom has born everything from Belgians for Ron Paul to a reggae music video promoting Paul's views on monetary policy and habeas corpus.

During the 2004 election, a web-savvy campaign staff helped turn Howard Dean's anti-war candidacy into the first online political phenomenon. But the Ron Paul frenzy seems to have sprung from the internet itself. Paul's libertarian message – he is against big government, the war, and pretty much anything that costs taxpayers money – has attracted a group of anti-establishment, tech-savvy supporters who have taken everyone by surprise.

"The people who are actually working for the campaign are a little overwhelmed with what's happening," says Alex Wallenwein, a supporter who organized two of the 362 Meetup.com groups dedicated to Paul.

To many immersed in the political blogosphere, Paul's passionate supporters seem to be everywhere at once. Editors of political websites are inundated with angry e-mails demanding they devote more coverage to Paul. Blog posts that criticize Paul are often followed by hundreds of livid comments from his fans. Most frustrating to those not on board the Ron Paul bandwagon, he routinely ranks first in online presidential polls on sites ranging from CNN.com to niche political blogs.

Conversely, Paul rates in the low single digits in scientific telephone polls and few political pundits afford him any chance of winning the nomination. When the editors at National Journal's The Hotline compiled their well-respected White House 2008 Rankings in May, they put Paul in last place among the 12 Republicans running, tacking on a fed-up message to his fans: "Just please stop e-mailing us."

They aren't the only ones who see Paul supporters as a nuisance. Many users of Digg and reddit are perplexed to see story after story about Paul topping lists of the most popular news. Critics say Paul supporters disregard the spirit of these social content sites by posting messages on blogs that encourage readers to go to Digg or reddit and vote for every story about Paul. One Digg user complained Paul supporters are violating the site's terms of service, which prohibit any organized effort that artificially alters the most popular news list.

Many prominent bloggers complain Paul's supporters have tainted informal, unscientific polls by organizing large-scale get-out-the-vote campaigns through blogs and social networking sites. As a result, the polls are less a measure of which candidate has the most support than whose fans are putting the most time into their voting efforts.

Matt Margolis runs GOP Straw Polls, a popular series of monthly surveys that are posted on numerous blogs in an attempt to gauge how much support candidates have throughout the conservative blogosphere. Margolis originally didn't include Paul in the polls but added his name when his fan base began to grow. Paul now dominates the polls, winning nearly half of all ballots cast in the most recent survey.

Margolis says Paul's success is the result of his supporters' "coordinated efforts to show themselves and their power in these polls." While most readers will vote once or twice and then move on, Margolis says Paul fans are visiting numerous blogs hosting the polls and voting repeatedly, while encouraging others to do the same through messages on MySpace, Facebook and blogs.

"There is certainly a higher frequency of multiple voting among Paul supporters than others," says Margolis. "I was perfectly fine with giving them the opportunity to vote for him. But they make the data of the poll almost useless by their methods."

Many bloggers have expressed concern that Paul's massive online vote totals could only be accomplished through the use of bots that automatically send hundreds of votes. While no one has presented evidence to prove this, several blogs have removed Paul's name from their polls. Not surprisingly, Paul fans have responded with streams of angry e-mails.

Paul supporters say his success is just the results of the wild, wild web operating at its finest, giving voice to a movement that would otherwise find no traction in traditional media. "If we have 20,000 passionate supporters who go and vote in an online poll and Rudy Giuliani can only get 1,000, we're not going to apologize for that," says Jesse Benton, Paul's campaign communication director.

Michael Nystrom, founder of the Daily Paul blog, says, "What I find interesting is that other candidates have more money, but Ron Paul has something money can't buy, and that's this very active online community." Whether or not Paul's online support translates into any real world success, it is clear this candidate has stumbled upon a new brand of internet activism that has the rest of the web scrambling to adapt.

denvervoipguru
06-27-2007, 07:14 AM
"To many immersed in the political blogosphere, Paul's passionate supporters seem to be everywhere at once."

glts
06-27-2007, 07:37 AM
It is quite funny that people complain about Ron Paul's success on the web as being somehow bothersome because there is so much of it. But these same people never complain about the fact that you can't turn on a news program and not hear the media darlings' names. I dare you to turn on the TV and watch CNN or FOX for an hour and not hear at least one of the following names - Giuliani, Romney, Clinton, McCain, or Obama. The American people are sick of the powers that be through the aid of the mainstream media giving us a selection of candidates we should choose our president from. Ron Paul's success can be summed up very easily. He is the one advocating LIBERTY. None of the rest of the mainstream darlings are advocating that.

JaylieWoW
06-27-2007, 07:39 AM
"To many immersed in the political blogosphere, Paul's passionate supporters seem to be everywhere at once."

Can I get a good ole fashioned RaWR!! :cool:

BuddyRey
06-27-2007, 08:00 AM
This may be the worst Ron Paul hit piece I've ever read.

Many prominent bloggers complain Paul's supporters have tainted informal, unscientific polls by organizing large-scale get-out-the-vote campaigns through blogs and social networking sites.

Well how dare they! When will these pesky little American citizens learn that they're not supposed to get actively involved in their political process in any way?!

As a result, the polls are less a measure of which candidate has the most support than whose fans are putting the most time into their voting efforts.

That's right! Even with all of these nutty freedom-lovers casting votes on IP-sensitive software, we know for sure that it must be spammers causing the vote to go to the candidate that We have deemed unworthy!

GoRonPaul
06-27-2007, 08:05 AM
This may be the worst Ron Paul hit piece I've ever read.

Well how dare they! When will these pesky little American citizens learn that they're not supposed to get actively involved in their political process in any way?!

That's right! Even with all of these nutty freedom-lovers casting votes on IP-sensitive software, we know for sure that it must be spammers causing the vote to go to the candidate that We have deemed unworthy!

It's really absurd. They touch briefly on the real story which is that Paul's campaign may be the first truly organic online presidential campaign in history... But instead of pursuing why that is and how it's working... they decide to focus on how the success of the campaign is annoying to some unnamed group of people... Completely ridiculous piss-poor journalism.

Dary
06-27-2007, 08:19 AM
<sarcasm mode=on>

These Ron Paul spammers are just ticking me off!

I’m more pissed off about them than I am about what is happening in this country concerning civil liberties, war and illegals.

Why hasn’t Ron Paul been Pat Acted yet?

Why hasn’t he been detained, sent to Gitmo and tortured?

Eff him and Benjamin Franklin.

</sarcasm>

Mani
06-27-2007, 08:21 AM
...unscientific polls by organizing large-scale get-out-the-vote campaigns through blogs and social networking sites....

Oh my! They are organizing a Get-out-the-vote campaign??? Blasphemy! How un-american asking people to head to a poll and vote! It's truly disgusting what those Ron Paul supporters are doing. :rolleyes:

torchbearer
06-27-2007, 08:22 AM
It's really absurd. They touch briefly on the real story which is that Paul's campaign may be the first truly organic online presidential campaign in history... But instead of pursuing why that is and how it's working... they decide to focus on how the success of the campaign is annoying to some unnamed group of people... Completely ridiculous piss-poor journalism.

Very well said. send that thought to author of this hit piece. not that he cares... but obviously he wants our overwhelming attention. he shall get it.

MsDoodahs
06-27-2007, 08:33 AM
Would any of you normally read "Wired" magazine?

I mean, if this piece on Dr. Paul wasn't there, is this a source you normally enjoy?

Because I've never heard of it, and of course NOW, I recognize it as just another gov't owned propoganda mouthpiece and therefore worthless.

Andrew76
06-27-2007, 08:38 AM
Yeah, I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but... all these arguments against us "spamming" the internet polls and thereby invalidating their usefulness, are absurd for this reason: RP supporters do not have a lockdown on this process, it is open to everyone, and all campaigns may participate. The fact is, they don't have the support. End of story. It's a shitty way to try and invalidate Ron Paul's widespread and genuine support. Jealousy is a bitch.
If it was the result of programmed bots doing all the voting for us and inflating the numbers, how is it that we would do this, but the Rudy McRomney campaigns don't do this. What, like they aren' slimy enough to try it? (sniff, sniff)... is that bullshit I smell?

dspectre
06-27-2007, 08:40 AM
Well, to be honest with you, I really like wired. I think they are a good magazine.

They may be part of an elitist mouthpiece who knows.

I get this sense, though, from the press that there is this jealousy since they have very little to do with the whole RP phenomenon....

Trance Dance Master
06-27-2007, 08:48 AM
I get this sense, though, from the press that there is this jealousy since they have very little to do with the whole RP phenomenon....
Green with envy. They've been used to having a stranglehold on public opinion for decades. Think "Citizen Kane". Better yet, think "Martin Luther".

http://www.freemarketnews.com/WorldNews.asp?nid=43028

Ron Paul, GOP Martin Luther?
Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - FreeMarketNews.com

Analysis

It is a founding principal of FMNN that the Internet represents a profound revolution – a brand-new communication technology. The previous communication revolution involved the Gutenberg Press, some 500 years ago.

Once people could actually read the Bible, many became disenchanted with the corruption of the Catholic Church. The result was the Reformation, which in turn damaged the Church’s ability to bestow, upon Kings, a divine right to rule. The ruling elite took a step backward, variants of republican governments emerged and, eventually, neo-classical, "free-market" economics evolved via the "Austrian" school.

The operative mechanism in the Reformation was a monk named Martin Luther who nailed a thesis to a church door in Germany, containing complaints about the Catholic Church and its corruption.

In modern America, and around the world, the Internet is serving as a kind of Gutenberg Press, exposing viewers to free-market principles that were downplayed or mis-represented by ruling elites in the 20th century.

It is almost taken for granted in modern Western society that freedom and individual “human action” are the best hope for the species’ continued advancement. But, throughout the 20th century, individual freedoms were whittled away, and “group rights” substituted.

One may argue that now, thanks to the ‘Net, a new Reformation is taking place – one that emphasizes free markets over state power and freedom over federal “executive orders” and presidential “deciders.”

But the question then becomes, who will provide the “operative mechanism”

More and more free-market observers are asking this question in a whisper: When free-market historians (and there are such) write about the early 21st century, will they identify presidential candidate Ron Paul (R-Tex) as the operative mechanism of a New Reformation?

Ron Paul is a longtime free-market thinker. His message stands in stark contrast to others’ at the GOP presidential debates. His points “speak truth to power” much as did Martin Luther’s. The historical parallels are interesting and perhaps not coincidental.

It is true that Martin Luther was a religious "zealot" (in modern terms) who made statements, especially about the Jews, that are today seen as extraordinarily offensive. But seen in the context of the widest sweep of history, Luther was a "change-maker" who consolidated and gave voice to widespread dissatisfactions. Ron Paul, no "racist" of any sort, might be seen as doing the same thing via the GOP debates.

Without the Internet - and 'Net polling which shows a tremendous reaction to Ron Paul's message - his points about freedom and the US constitutional republic would have much less public resonance. It is the combination of man and message that is causing the stir.

No matter what happens to Ron Paul or his campaign, his current on-line success shows that the larger trends regarding the Internet are intact. The spread of knowledge about free-markets - and how the West has drifted away from them - has already gone too far. Thanks to the Internet, the world lives in "interesting times." Will another Martin Luther soon emerge? Is Ron Paul a precursor of such? A variant? Time will tell. (Additional Martin Luther info added June 6, 2007)

Staff Reports - Free-Market News Network

GoRonPaul
06-27-2007, 08:50 AM
Very well said. send that thought to author of this hit piece. not that he cares... but obviously he wants our overwhelming attention. he shall get it.

Done. I went on about how they had a great opportunity to cover a very interesting story, but they blew it... and how disappointed I am with their publication etc.

Montana
06-27-2007, 05:05 PM
This may be the worst Ron Paul hit piece I've ever read.Then you obviously haven't read this: http://www.oppodepot.com/paul.html

yongrel
06-27-2007, 05:12 PM
well, I don't know about you, but...

I have never voted more than once in an online poll!

why can they not accept that the error in the figures is in the scientific polls?

brent022
06-27-2007, 05:14 PM
Then you obviously haven't read this: http://www.oppodepot.com/paul.html

To be fair, on their about us page they say "OppoDepot.com is the Internet's only nonpartisan, collaborative Web 2.0 source for negative information about the 2008 presidential candidates." So as long as they post negative information on all candidates fairly, posting that information isn't necessarily a "hit piece" they are just doing what they said they would do.

http://www.oppodepot.com/about.html

mconder
06-27-2007, 05:14 PM
Because I've never heard of it

It's been a popular tech magazine for a long time.

mconder
06-27-2007, 05:16 PM

Gee, that's funny...neither have I.

How do they explain the thousands of unique comments left on every piece about Ron Paul on the web? Even the other candidates articles have more unique comments that are Pro Paul than the candidate the piece is supposed to be about.

Bradley in DC
06-27-2007, 05:17 PM
Many reporters there are libertarian. In fact, the non-libertarians complain about it internally. Declan McCullagh, a friend of mine, used to write for them (before moving to CNET news) and has written often and favorably of Dr. Paul.

maiki
06-27-2007, 05:28 PM
Trance Dance Master: I don't understand your comparison between William Randolph Hearst-- the real life Citizen Kane -- and Martin Luther. Citizen Kane embodied mainstream media controlling public opinion and politics, which is the opposite of what that (strongly anti-Catholic) article is trying to express about Martin Luther and the internet, that it is counter-cultural.

dseisner
06-27-2007, 05:46 PM
I mean, if a horse looking creature has black and white stripes, is it horse who got dyed that way? No, it's a fucking zebra. Likewise, if a campaign has massive amounts of people involved in getting the Ron Paul word out EVERY day, then why isn't the candidate just popular? Is it so hard to believe that a large group of people want him to be president? I was looking at the forum yesterday and within one half hour, a single thread had more than 2000 views. Is that the same 50 people viewing the same thread OVER AND OVER again? NO. It's 2000 interested Paul fans who want to know whats going on with the movement. I urge the media to evaluate the facts. I meet people every day who listen and respond to my message and I'm sure other Dr. Paul supporters are doing the same and the message is catching on, everybody involved in this campaign can feel it. We have real traction now because of the power of a positive message. THAT'S why RP is dominating the online polls, not because we go and vote like madmen. Even if that was the case, why wouldn't the other candidate's supporters be doing the same thing? Is it because RP supporters are all just a bunch of Kool-Aid drinking radicals?

PS. I have never voted twice on an online poll. I urge everyone else to establish that same practice. It's also important for us to see what the actual numbers are, not just so everybody else can see how popular he is and join the bandwagon. We're already seeing that it doesn't work because people accuse of us of voting too many times. Plus, we must always strive to have pure intentions and methods. If we taint the process as a means to end, we will not get our desired outcome. For example, would be better off if we had a way to doctor the voting machines for Dr. Paul to win? I don't think so. Remember that when everything else is gone, we can still have our integrity.

MozoVote
06-27-2007, 06:23 PM
The mainstream analysts, cannot quantify the value of volunteerism. Pat Buchanan and Steve Forbes have mounted campaigns, on similar low tax platforms. But they had to pay for nearly all their their staff. Even Steve Forbes had to realize that no amount of money could buy an election.

That's part of the reason I scoff at the current buzz over Bloomberg. He might get 10% of the vote like Forbes did, or Perot (in the 1996 election when people were tired of him). But he is not a force, and he does not have a *motivated* crowd behind him.

Tsoman
06-27-2007, 06:38 PM
well, I don't know about you, but...

why can they not accept that the error in the figures is in the scientific polls?

+1

Orat
06-28-2007, 10:27 PM
All I know is, the morning after the election, there are going to be articles whining about how pesky "get-out-the-vote" projects "tainted" the electorial results in favor of Ron Paul all thanks to an allegedly small number of "poll spammers". :cool:

Duckman
06-28-2007, 10:52 PM
All I know is, the morning after the election, there are going to be articles whining about how pesky "get-out-the-vote" projects "tainted" the electorial results in favor of Ron Paul all thanks to an allegedly small number of "poll spammers". :cool:

Maybe the validity of our "spam votes" will be challenged, and the issue will end up in the Supreme Court?

DAZ
06-28-2007, 11:24 PM
Not only do I not vote more than once, I've only voted in one or two online polls total. With RP's margin of victory so high, I figure my vote doesn't count.....I've been disenfranchised by Ron Paul's popularity!!:rolleyes:

On a slightly more serious but no less laughable note, I find it hilarious that other candidates are trying to discover the secret to RP's internet success.

it is clear this candidate has stumbled upon a new brand of internet activism that has the rest of the web scrambling to adapt.

I wonder how they will react when they finally find out how little the official campaign has had to do with this "internet activism" and realize all it takes is to stop feeding us loads of bull. And maybe to stop trying to micromanage our lives as well.

angrydragon
06-28-2007, 11:28 PM
Yah, here's the secret, stop BS'ing.

Aborell
06-29-2007, 04:48 AM
Yah, here's the secret, stop BS'ing.

That's like telling a farmer to stop milking his cow.

edit: except that milk is tasty and goes well with breakfast