PDA

View Full Version : NJ - School offers students $50 for reporting students "illegally" attending school.

Anti Federalist
08-29-2014, 01:01 PM
Bound Brook schools offer $50 to help ID students who don't belong in district

http://www.nj.com/somerset/index.ssf/2014/08/bound_brook_school_district_rewards_program.html

BOUND BROOK — The Bound Brook School District is offering a $50 gift card to anyone who helps it identify a student who isn't a legal resident of the borough or attending through an official school choice program

"The monetary reward is small in comparison to the cost of non-resident, non-school choice student tuition savings," Superintendent of Schools Dr. Gallagher said.

It costs $14,000 per school year to educate each non-resident student, Gallagher said.

The district uncovers approximately three to four non-resident students per school year and sends them back to their home districts, Gallagher said. But he said residents complain that the number is much higher.

"The community is telling us that there are more kids," Gallagher said. "Well, we need their help. We wanted to put something out there where we can enlist their help. We can't be everywhere in the community all the time.

"We get anonymous calls from people all the time. They tell us that they saw a student get off a bus. It's very hard for us to follow up on some of those things."

The problem, Gallagher said, is that Bound Brook has a very transient population. Residents frequently move in and out and often leave their kids in the district when they depart.

"People will move into town, they're here for three months, and then they move out and leave their kids in the school system," Gallagher said. "Legally, you can't do that. That's the bulk of what we see."

The district currently has 37 students who have opted to come into the Bound Brook School District from other districts through New Jersey's school choice program, Gallagher said. The district has collected $472,638 in out-of-town tuition this year, he said.

($12750 per student! - AF)

The Bound Brook School District has three elementary schools (Lafayette, LaMonte and LaMonte Annex), a middle school (Smalley School) and a high school (Bound Brook High).

Residents seeking more information or looking to report a non-resident student can call the Bound Brook School District at 732-356-2500 or email Gallagher at superintendent@bbrook.org. Any person wants the district to investigate a non-resident, non-school choice student needs to leave the person's name and contact information.

moostraks
08-29-2014, 01:39 PM
And the seeds are planted for a rewarding career snitching on one's neighbors.

Warrior_of_Freedom
08-29-2014, 03:45 PM
if you see something say something, and get paid

specsaregood
08-29-2014, 03:49 PM

That the point, it isn't their neighbors. Should my extremely high property taxes go to pay for the education of people that live out of the area paying much lower property taxes? Just saying...

moostraks
08-29-2014, 05:33 PM
That the point, it isn't their neighbors. Should my extremely high property taxes go to pay for the education of people that live out of the area paying much lower property taxes? Just saying...

Snitch programs are a bad idea and create a specific temperament that will bleed into areas outside of the school issue. So maybe you should ask yourself what type of environment does this program breed? Will it expand into other areas of government under the guise of cost cutting measures? I think parents should pay for the education of their children not the property owners of the school district. Just sayin...

TheTexan
08-29-2014, 05:36 PM

Yes. Why shouldn't it? Unless you want to start going down the road of, "why should I pay taxes for services I don't even use?" which is obviously a fallacious, selfish, short-sighted, and un-patriotic argument.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
08-29-2014, 05:40 PM
report a non-resident student can call the Bound Brook School District at 732-356-2500 or email Gallagher at superintendent@bbrook.org.

If someone were so inclined, then they could really have some fun with ole Doc Gallagher.

jclay2
08-29-2014, 07:04 PM
Sometimes you really have to marvel at the shear madness of the sheeple state. Ingrain "See something, say something" among the average Americans while busing in REAL illegals by the thousands.

specsaregood
08-29-2014, 07:49 PM
Snitch programs are a bad idea and create a specific temperament that will bleed into areas outside of the school issue. So maybe you should ask yourself what type of environment does this program breed? Will it expand into other areas of government under the guise of cost cutting measures? I think parents should pay for the education of their children not the property owners of the school district. Just sayin...

FTR, I agree completely. I certainly don't like the idea of getting the students to do their dirty work but at the same time I can understand why they are doing it.

LibForestPaul
08-29-2014, 08:06 PM

Their neighbors. Sure right. Your children, your schools, your problem, not mine.

George Ought to Help at the barrel of a gun.

Gumba of Liberty
08-29-2014, 09:45 PM

So if a private business wants to prevent fraud by asking their customers to contribute to "rule enforcement" they are promoting snitching? This isn't a big government conspiracy. This is a local school district trying to prevent illegal immigrants from other towns from enrolling in their schools knowing that Bound Brook has excellent bilingual education and the best technology in the county. Guys I agree with you most of the time but come on, if we are to have public schools, I'd rather have a Superintendent that ran a tight ship and didn't waste the taxpayers money.

moostraks
08-30-2014, 07:42 AM
So if a private business wants to prevent fraud by asking their customers to contribute to "rule enforcement" they are promoting snitching? This isn't a big government conspiracy. This is a local school district trying to prevent illegal immigrants from other towns from enrolling in their schools knowing that Bound Brook has excellent bilingual education and the best technology in the county. Guys I agree with you most of the time but come on, if we are to have public schools, I'd rather have a Superintendent that ran a tight ship and didn't waste the taxpayers money.

Well I am against public schools funded by property owners and snitch programs funded by taxpayers that create an environment of snitching for personal gain. I have seen the system abused enough to know this will only foster more people to abuse their neighbors by it. Maybe you will feel differently when the chickens come home to roost? It is better not to create a more invasive government and tackle the issue of school funding than to give government, through the extension of bribing your neighbor into working for them by spying, more power.

donnay
08-30-2014, 08:03 AM

A Superintendent who makes a six figure salary, compliments of the state extorting money from you. Personally I think all Superintendents can take their ships and sail on out of here.

Gumba of Liberty
08-30-2014, 08:16 AM
Well I am against public schools funded by property owners and snitch programs funded by taxpayers that create an environment of snitching for personal gain. I have seen the system abused enough to know this will only foster more people to abuse their neighbors by it. Maybe you will feel differently when the chickens come home to roost? It is better not to create a more invasive government and tackle the issue of school funding than to give government, through the extension of bribing your neighbor into working for them by spying, more power.

I don't disagree. My point is that in the eyes of those on this forum anything a public school does besides shutting the doors and refunding the taxpayer is going to be seen in a negative light. As a parent, I don't want a 30 yr old with grey hair from Costa Rica sitting next to my daughter in Chemistry class. It's just that simple.

Gumba of Liberty
08-30-2014, 08:18 AM
A Superintendent who makes a six figure salary, compliments of the state extorting money from you. Personally I think all Superintendents can take their ships and sail on out of here.

I completely agree there salaries are outrageous.

MelissaWV
08-30-2014, 08:21 AM

My response to this program as a kiddo would have been that you'd need to pay me a six-figure salary to look into this matter adequately.

tod evans
08-30-2014, 08:21 AM
As a parent, I don't want a 30 yr old with grey hair from Costa Rica sitting next to my daughter in Chemistry class. It's just that simple.

Why would you choose to live in an area where 30y/o Costa Rican's are permitted housing let alone public schooling?

Nobody has to live in a city...

nobody's_hero
08-30-2014, 09:55 AM
I wonder how many kids will take $50 to ruin a friendship. Or, I could also see a lot of blackmail from this. Smart kids will be like, 'hmm, Billy you give me $100 or else I tell them where you really live.'