PDA

View Full Version : $2,000,000 and counting + they need help down there!

sunny
06-27-2007, 07:04 AM
I spoke with someone at headquarters yesterday and I asked her about the donation tally and she told me that it's around 2 million........she said it never was 4-5 million like we had read a while back........and donations are coming in every day.
also, this e from kent snyder below:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Help! More room needed.
June 26, 2007

Good news (actually, great news): The Ron Paul 2008 campaign is growing!

Bad news: We’ve run out of space to work.

The Ron Paul 2008 campaign started in the corner of a one-bedroom apartment. It then moved to a small office of 348 square feet, which is where we are now. But our present office has become too small to accommodate the fast-growing campaign...and we need your help to expand.

Our present office is so small that we can't hire the much-needed additional staff for a national campaign. We even have to turn away volunteers because we simply don't have room for them.

Office space in the D.C. area is expensive, and landlords expect tenants to sign at least a three-year lease; preferably a five-year lease. But after we canvassed the area by foot and called numerous leasing agents and watched the local classifieds and checked CraigsList each day, we found a place! It's a sub-lease situation with flexible terms that we just couldn't pass up.

We will have the second floor of a modest, older, two-story building in Arlington, Virginia. It's only two blocks from a Metro station, making it convenient for staff and volunteers. The office is on a busy street; across from a very busy grocery story. Large windows will be perfect for a "Ron Paul 2008" banner! But most importantly, the new office will give us the space to build a national campaign.

However, office space here is expensive regardless of how modest the building is. And most landlords require political campaigns to pay the total rent in advance.

So we need your help.

We plan to move on July 15th. To do so, we will need to give the landlord a check for $54,000.00.

Will you help us write that check?

Enthusiasm for Ron Paul's bid for the presidency grows by the day. Our goal: put Ron Paul in the White House. And we all know why.

Help us write that check. Donate today by going to https://www.ronpaul2008.com/donate

Thank you!

Kent Snyder, Chairman
Ron Paul 2008

nayjevin
06-27-2007, 07:07 AM
i wondered about the dailypaul reporting 4-5 when i read it, but i think i'll just wait for the official report before i jump at any number.

from what i understand, someone answering the phones at HQ would not know for sure how much had been raised -- and even those closest to the numbers can't really put a finger on it. seems like all you'd need is a calculator though....

Zydeco
06-27-2007, 07:08 AM
Maybe it's 2 mil, maybe it's 4 mil...but it's good they're trying to manage expectations.

I'd be surprised if it's really only $2 mil, though. I mean, it'd be enough to get to the next round of play for sure, but I feel like I've read personal comments about donating on blogs and message board totaling $2 mil!

sunny
06-27-2007, 07:15 AM
yeah, i hope she's incorrect about that figure......i like 4-5 better!

UCFGavin
06-27-2007, 07:18 AM
i think $2 million is a very conservative estimate. they could be using that number so when the real one comes out, its that much more awesome (at least i hope that is what it is)

LastoftheMohicans
06-27-2007, 07:25 AM
Is that 2M for the quarter or cumulative? They had ~650K in the 1Q. If it is cumulative,that would mean that they've only raised ~1.4M in the 2Q. I find that hard to believe. I thought I heard Ron Paul say that they were at 2.5M a few weeks ago. I don't remember the video where he said it. There are so many!!! I think it was either at the Future of Freedom Foundation conference or on the Charles Goyette show.

beermotor
06-27-2007, 07:43 AM
It was the Goyette interview - he said 2 to 3M.

I think that number is a little on the conservative side, but it's plenty to keep him in the running at this stage. I think a lot of people are paying for things on their own (I know my meetups are!) so those numbers aren't figured in, although they're just as helpful.

Scribbler de Stebbing
06-27-2007, 07:53 AM
The figure that gets reported at the end of this quarter could make or break the campaign. If it IS only 2 million, he's still small-time and will continue to be ignored. If it is at least 4 million, they can honestly no longer ignore him.

I thought I had given all I should for the time being, but I'm going to go ahead with another $200 anyways. If you can afford to, please do. If you were planning to give more any time soon, do it now, or by Friday.

It's make or break time.

Editing to add: This is JUST a suggestion, but if it's going to cost you $500 to get to Iowa on Saturday, maybe consider donating that $500 instead, unless you can afford to do both. Maybe you HAVE to be there, like I do -- couldn't miss it. Otherwise, I'm hoping we'll have plenty of people from Iowa primarily, and neighboring states to make a great impression.

dspectre
06-27-2007, 08:34 AM
This is a little annoying. It is true we don't know the money that RP has raised, but if the 2 million number is true, it's a little disheartening.

I don't think this will make or break his campaign necessarily, but it helps for him to get a good start.

Plus, it is also annoying when people think that going to see him is so important. Don't get me wrong, I think it's good to do those things.

But with the money they spend to go to that trouble, people could really help the campaign. That money could be used for more Rallies with RP....and get him the coverage in the media...etc...

Money is the ammo of any organization. Without it, you are toast.

Man from La Mancha
06-27-2007, 08:41 AM
why won't the headquarters give us up to the minute of date of donations? if we know we can help

beermotor
06-27-2007, 08:49 AM
Yeah, you know, that's not a bad idea. Just put a dynamic total on the friggen homepage. I mean, ultimately, who cares? Is there a strategic advantage to be gained from concealing the number?

purepaloma
06-27-2007, 08:49 AM
Ah what the heck - i just threw in another hundred.

LastoftheMohicans
06-27-2007, 08:54 AM
I hope the 2M number is way under. I just threw in another $99 (The Great One's Number)

briatx
06-27-2007, 09:03 AM
I gave 1000$ more last night, and the wife pitched in $500.

Eric B
06-27-2007, 09:07 AM
Another $100, it was easy and I'm dead broke.

njandrewg
06-27-2007, 09:08 AM
it should be more than 2 million, maybe they are downplaying that information, so that Ron Paul could say the true number June 30th at the rally. Would figure it would get him additional coverage, because he would be the first candidate to announce his #s

LibertyEagle
06-27-2007, 09:12 AM
I sent in another $100.

brent022
06-27-2007, 09:12 AM
I don't think they would announce anything about funds during the rally because they will already be getting press because of the rally. It makes more sense, especially if it's positive, to do it on a sperate occasion to keep his name in the news more often.

LibertyEagle
06-27-2007, 09:15 AM
I sure hope there's way more than $2M. That would definitely be a bummer if it's not.

Avalon
06-27-2007, 09:21 AM
Yeah, you know, that's not a bad idea. Just put a dynamic total on the friggen homepage. I mean, ultimately, who cares? Is there a strategic advantage to be gained from concealing the number?

Actually yes there is. Most importantly, the more surprise the released numbers are, the more likely it will be covered by the MSM and it is one subject that is great press and hard to spin negatively (unless all the donations are for the max 2300 etc.).

Secondarily, the surprise factor will have an emotional effect (ie. "Wow, look at that jump in support...maybe this guy has a chance afterall...Honey, where'd you put the checkbook?")

Lastly, the competition's tactics will change considerably when they know they're up against someone who has a chance...and who has access to big advertising like they do. For instance, if it was just the former, a simple, short smear on TV would work, even if it's blatantly false. If RP has the money, he can rebut any such attack directly, without having the rely on the MSM to do it (who obviously won't).

mport1
06-27-2007, 09:59 AM
Let's make sure that it is not $2 million. Donate!

It is important to do it now, early, before it is too late.

LibertyEagle
06-27-2007, 10:09 AM
I hope the 2M number is way under. I just threw in another $99 (The Great One's Number)

What "Great One" would that be? :)

LastoftheMohicans
06-27-2007, 10:11 AM
I'll give you a small hint. His first name is Wayne.

yongrel
06-27-2007, 10:12 AM
$10

i hate being broke

LibertyEagle
06-27-2007, 10:37 AM
Everything helps, yongrel.

JasonM
06-27-2007, 11:16 AM
Thank you very much for your donation of $25.00 to the Ron Paul 2008 Presidential Campaign.

Your donation will allow us to expand and grow our campaign.

We depend on donors like you to help us spread the message of freedom, peace and prosperity through Ron Paul’s candidacy.

Thanks for being a part of the campaign!

Your confirmation number:
T5298-79536606

First Donation I ever made to a political candidate.

markpa
06-27-2007, 11:19 AM
Just made my first donation to the campaign and hope to donate more in the future!

rich34
06-27-2007, 11:30 AM
Why can't you donate with a discover card? I was getting ready to make a 50 dollar contribution, but then noticed no discover card option. That's the only card I have left that has money on it. :(

I get paid on Friday and it directly deposits. I'll make my donation then!

LibertyCzar
06-27-2007, 11:33 AM
I sure hope there's way more than $2M. That would definitely be a bummer if it's not.

I always wonder, when a number like this is mentioned, whether it actually refers to donations collected. It could be a reference to cash available in the coffers. If Ron Paul is to have a successful campaign, he needs to travel, and spend money. I would be happy with coffers currently at $2 million.

spacebetween
06-27-2007, 11:34 AM
Take the $2 mil with a grain of salt.

First of all, the campaign has been saying $2 million for awhile now. When I asked someone back in May, they told me that same figure.

The campaign knows it's best to hold off releasing the real numbers until it's the right time.

So... until then, don't worry about it! Just donate more to make sure they get that lease. :-)

yongrel
06-27-2007, 11:41 AM
any idea of when we'll hear the actual number?

LibertyEagle
06-27-2007, 11:45 AM
Seems to me we're going to have to have a massive effort to go around door-to-door. if need be, handing out materials, so that we can get more of middle America to join this cause. It's the older people who have the real money. We need to get them behind this campaign and the sooner, the better.

Does anyone have any experience about what works, when going door-to-door. Seems to me we need some sort of collaboration here, and of course including, campaign HQ, to put together a mini training YouTube video for this effort. Any expertise here?

Noodles
06-27-2007, 11:47 AM
We could put out a call for Avon Ladies.

LibertyEagle
06-27-2007, 11:57 AM
We could put out a call for Avon Ladies.

:D

yongrel
06-27-2007, 12:01 PM
LibertyEagle, we have to be careful. That's what Howard Dean's people did, and there was major blowback.

wecandoit
06-27-2007, 12:03 PM
They report both "total raised" and "cash on hand". I think the most impressive thing about whatever the Q2 totals show, will be that Paul will still have 90-95% of his total raised on hand. Couple that with the rate of growth his campaign has experienced. Then look at someone like Romney, who has raised what 11 million? spent over half of it, and has not seen his campaign grow much at all.

Only Paul has an army of supporters doing campaign work for free, that's worth a whole lot.

LibertyEagle
06-27-2007, 12:04 PM
Yes, but didn't they come across as too eager and forceful? That is why I thought there should be some kind of semi-training about how to do it. Maybe all we do is just hand them the material and ask them to please take a look at it when they get a chance. Then leave.

Maybe I'm wrong, but people are going to do this anyway, so it seems to me that some instruction about how to do it without pissing people off would be beneficial.

yongrel
06-27-2007, 12:06 PM
LibertyEagle, I agree with you completely. We do need to spread the word. But Dean's campaign is a powerful example of how a grassroots movement can go wrong. Were we to mobilize door-to-door, our behaviour and attitude would have to reflect well on Ron Paul.

LibertyEagle
06-27-2007, 12:06 PM
Thus, the need for the training. And soon. Anyone have any expertise in this area?

nayjevin
06-27-2007, 12:11 PM
check my post here regarding door to door advice:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=4280

ronpaulhawaii
06-27-2007, 12:31 PM
Nayjevin's post is a great place to start.

I agree that everyone needs to think their actions over very carefully...

KUTGW
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Donate early-donate often -

$10 from 230 broke folk, blows $2300 from the more fortunate, right out of the water.

Scribbler de Stebbing
06-27-2007, 01:06 PM
Actually yes there is. Most importantly, the more surprise the released numbers are, the more likely it will be covered by the MSM and it is one subject that is great press and hard to spin negatively (unless all the donations are for the max 2300 etc.).

Secondarily, the surprise factor will have an emotional effect (ie. "Wow, look at that jump in support...maybe this guy has a chance afterall...Honey, where'd you put the checkbook?")

Think about it this way: We'd expect Giuliani to have raised $10 mil or more. If he comes in with only $5 m, people will say something major is wrong with the campaign because they expected a lot more. It's an expecations game. Similar to how we don't have to WIN the Iowa Straw Poll, but do quite a bit better than expected. Our momemtum would be upwards, where someone like Romney only beating RP by a few points would be seen as disappointing to his supporters, as if he had peaked and was on a downward trend.

That said, I just spammed another $200 to the campaign an hour ago.

herepamwas
06-27-2007, 01:48 PM
I have donated 50 bucks total, bought a tee shirt and just got my liberty bracelet. I wish I could do more. :(

austin356
06-27-2007, 03:30 PM
If someone with connections at the campaign is reading this please slip in the request to put in a paypal account and discover card option.

I want to give more, but the finance committee has set a budget for this campaign for me....... With paypal I can squeeze in more money (double the donations).

angrydragon
06-27-2007, 03:40 PM
E-mail Justine Lam. Ron's eCampaign Director.

justine.lam@ronpaul2008.com

ladyjade3
06-27-2007, 03:57 PM
I hope its more than $2mil. After all, Ron Paul is deep in the pockets of the single largest special interest group in the country. You hope that's worth something.

That and I'd have to issue a non-fun retraction. I'd be sad.

LibertyEagle
06-27-2007, 03:59 PM
I hope its more than $2mil. After all, Ron Paul is deep in the pockets of the single largest special interest group in the country. You hope that's worth something.

That and I'd have to issue a non-fun retraction. I'd be sad.

What special interest group would that be?

yongrel
06-27-2007, 04:02 PM
the people

quickmike
06-27-2007, 04:21 PM
If its really only 2 million in the 2nd quarter, that means that even if people only gave 25 bucks a piece, then thats only 80,000 people who donated. That number sucks really bad considering he got 450,000 votes as a libertarian candidate back in 1988.

I cant drive this point home enough with you guys. I always hear people on here talking about going to events that will feature Ron Paul as a guest, which I agree is exciting, but will not increase the number of people that will vote for him. For example, I live in Decatur, IL which is about 370 miles from des moines and would take about 4 hrs for me to drive........... easy enough, but I figure why not take the 75 bucks gas money, plus food and whatever else I might buy, and donate it directly to the campaign? Me going to des moines will not get a single person to vote for him that isnt already voting for him. That same 100 bucks might be used by the campaign to to help buy radio and tv advertisment which will actually translate into votes, which is the important thing, not my selfish desire to see Ron Paul in person which accomplishes nothing.

Every weekend when im off work, I go out in the neighborhood and knock on doors talking to people, spending hours walking, talking to old people and families who will listen. Know what?........... Only about 8 people of the last 100 ive talked to have even heard about Ron Paul, so that means I have educated 92 people as to who he is and what he stands for. Most of those people took to his ideas pretty well also. I dont hear much talk on these boards about people doing this, and I figure that unless people start knocking on doors, the majority of the people will not know who he is until its too late, and they have voted for someone else. Sitting in here day in and day out accomplishes nothing, getting out on the streets accomplishes everything. It gets the votes.

What im saying basically is this.............. if we ALL dont get out there and physically talk to people and let them know Ron Paul exists........... this campaign is screwed and doesnt stand a chance. I want him to win sooooooo much and it is very important to me to get the message out. Imagine if you all did the same thing where you live. Imagine all the people you talked to who also got out there knocking on doors, telling their friends, talking to people at church, at school, at work etc. Thats how grassroots happens....... not driving to Iowa and coming home talking to people on message boards to people already voting for him about how awesome it was.

Unless all Ron Paul fans start getting out there campaigning for him, and talking to people............... its done, and hes gonna lose for sure. Not because his message wasnt good, but because his supporters didnt talk to non-internet folks about who he is and his beliefs.

Better get out there and do it folks............ or were screwed.

Electrostatic
06-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Amen quickmike, really cuts to the heart of it...
We have to be willing to knock on doors.

jd603
06-27-2007, 04:43 PM
It's about doing what you can... so you did well.

I have donated 50 bucks total, bought a tee shirt and just got my liberty bracelet. I wish I could do more. :(

peruvianRP
06-27-2007, 04:44 PM
don't forget other candidates get more money from less people usually the donors are big corporations that can some how donate many times.

There should be a cap on to how much a candidate can use/raise in the race. but it wont happen if we only have 2 party system and they can control it.

Zydeco
06-27-2007, 04:54 PM
What "Great One" would that be? :)

LibertyEagle, I had such respect for you before this post :p

Zydeco
06-27-2007, 05:15 PM
It's clearly more than $2 million. I just listened to the Goyette interview
(June 14th) and RP himself said then it's "in the low millions" and "around 2 or 3 million." I don't think Paul is the kind of guy who'd say something like that if it weren't true.

meetup.com numbers continue to grow 300-400 people per day, far more than any other candidate. I mean, what would people talk about at a Fred Thompson meetup group? :D

(sorry, no negative attacks, follow RP's lead, I know, I know...)

angelatc
06-27-2007, 05:17 PM
i wondered about the dailypaul reporting 4-5 when i read it, but i think i'll just wait for the official report before i jump at any number.

The first I saw it was in the Freemarket News Network, and it seemed to be more rumor than news even at the time.

Bradley in DC
06-27-2007, 05:22 PM
Everything helps, yongrel.

And it boosts the number of people giving--another critical number to be analyzed.

angrydragon
06-27-2007, 05:26 PM
Unless all Ron Paul fans start getting out there campaigning for him, and talking to people............... its done, and hes gonna lose for sure. Not because his message wasnt good, but because his supporters didnt talk to non-internet folks about who he is and his beliefs.

Encouraging words.

If anyone feels comfortable doing this, then by all means get the word out on the streets. If not, then donate and do other things you are comfortable with. (No problems with doing both either :) )

Perhaps if you're the nervous type which may hinder people from the message, then go in a group where you don't have to talk.

Bradley in DC
06-27-2007, 05:28 PM
If someone with connections at the campaign is reading this please slip in the request to put in a paypal account and discover card option.

I want to give more, but the finance committee has set a budget for this campaign for me....... With paypal I can squeeze in more money (double the donations).

Please don't email Justine. The campaign made a decision not to use Paypal (too much of a cut which hurts with the donation limits).

angrydragon
06-27-2007, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the note Bradley, maybe they could put that info. on the donation page.

Bradley in DC
06-27-2007, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the note Bradley, maybe they could put that info. on the donation page.

Sure, also, donating ONLINE rather than by check makes things easier for them too. (No need to rekey all the information, handle the paperwork, etc.). From experience from the Congressional campaigns, I suspect there are sacks of paper checks piled up in the Texas headquarters (not used to such a volume), but that they have a better handle on totals from the online donations.

austinphish
06-27-2007, 06:04 PM
If you want to narrow it down, if we get creamed in the early primaries we are screwed.