PDA

View Full Version : NM-Family "friend" calls cops over domestic "squabble". Cops show up and shoot husband.

Anti Federalist
08-29-2014, 10:51 AM
Family of Bloomfield man shot by police claims shooting was unprovoked

http://www.daily-times.com/four_corners-news/ci_26425361/family-bloomfield-man-shot-by-police-claims-shooting

28 August 2014

BLOOMFIELD — The family of a man fatally shot by Bloomfield police said on Thursday that the officers rushed onto the property without knocking on the door and did not immediately provide medical assistance to the wounded man, who was unarmed.

Police said they were responding to a domestic dispute call on Wednesday morning and were confronted by a man with a deadly weapon. John J. Rogers, of Bloomfield, was pronounced dead late Wednesday morning in the San Juan Regional Medical Center emergency room. A police spokesman said the officers were not injured.

New Mexico State Police officials are tasked with investigating the officer-involved shooting.

"We are not commenting on what the family is saying," said state police Lt. Emmanuel Gutierrez. "We don't do that. We comment on our investigation, and that is it."

Gutierrez said Thursday morning that no new information was available regarding the investigation. In a press release, Gutierrez said more information will be provided once the involved officers have been interviewed.

Bloomfield Police Chief Randy Foster confirmed Thursday that two Bloomfield police officers have been placed on paid administrative leave, pending the outcome of the investigation.

Foster said he could not comment on the state police department's investigation, but he added that he brought in an outside agency to provide a thorough, unbiased investigation "that people can be confident in."

Rogers' family — comprised of 18 grandchildren, four children, one sister, three brothers, many nieces and nephews and his wife of 40 years — is angry about the shooting.

Billie Rogers, John Rogers' wife, denies she called police about a domestic disturbance at the household, located at 414 Ruth Lane. The family also denies John Rogers was armed.

Abe Rogers, John Rogers' brother, said that a family member had called a friend during a "squabble" at the house Wednesday morning.

He said he believes that friend called the Bloomfield Police Department.

"I was in the house cleaning, and my husband was in the garage working on his motorcycle," Billie Rogers said. "I saw a cop car pull up on the side, and I saw another one. They were heading everywhere. I heard a boom, and I heard another boom."

The family said the officers did not provide medical assistance to the 61-year-old Native-American man after he was shot.

"There are still some good police officers, but there are a lot that are corrupt," daughter Dana Davila said. "It's a sign of the times — police brutality has gone viral."

A makeshift memorial sits outside the family's home and the family held a candlelight vigil Thursday evening.

The vigil was preceded by a barbecue, where friends and family of John Rogers gathered together for food and comfort. Rebecca Medina, John Rogers' daughter, said it was a proper memorial for a man who spent so many hours on the road.

"He would get off the road and he would call everyone up and say, 'let's have a barbecue,'" she said.

John Rogers' son, Jonathan Rogers Jr., showed family and friends a bullet hole in his father's truck. He said it was an errant shot fired by one of the officers.

"They said there was a struggle, and the officer pulled out his gun and shot him in the head," Rogers said. "While he was still gurgling, they put their cold, steel boots to his neck."

Rogers said that the information was provided to him by detectives from the New Mexico State Police Department and his mother. He said one officer shot his father in the head and the other officer, still near his squad car at the end of the driveway, fired a round from his shotgun.

SeanTX
08-29-2014, 11:20 AM
The family of a man fatally shot by Bloomfield police said on Thursday that the officers rushed onto the property without knocking on the door and did not immediately provide medical assistance to the wounded man, who was unarmed

"Exigent circumstances" mean there's no need for door knocking, or finding out what's really going on, or any of that -- it means it's time to rush in, ready to kick some ass and kill something.

And cops only provide direct medical assistance to fellow officers, they're not going to put their paws on some filthy non-cop animal. If you're lucky *maybe* they won't block the EMTs from treating you.

This was just cops being cops. They really need to direct their anger at the "friend" who called the police and brought all of this chaos into their lives. They should just be thankful that the police allowed them to have a vigil.

Anti Federalist
08-29-2014, 11:52 AM
They should just be thankful that the police allowed them to have a vigil.

So it's not just me noticing the new trend of petty, small and vindictive police actions at various vigil and makeshift memorial sites for people killed by cops?

ronpaulhawaii
08-29-2014, 12:00 PM
I'm waiting to see what this alleged "deadly weapon" was that the cops say he was holding, noting that the wife says he was "working on his motorcycle"

Suzanimal
08-29-2014, 12:08 PM
I'm waiting to see what this alleged "deadly weapon" was that the cops say he was holding, noting that the wife says he was "working on his motorcycle"

Assault wrench.

Root
08-29-2014, 12:15 PM
See something, say something comrades.

Anti Federalist
08-29-2014, 12:15 PM
Assault wrench.

That's exactly what I was think.

Assault wrench, assault hammer, assault ratchet.

phill4paul
08-29-2014, 04:01 PM
Omigerd he got a gun!

http://www.stayathomebrad.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/brads-with-drill-pixlrated-300x260.jpg

presence
08-29-2014, 04:16 PM
I'm still waiting for one of these instances to manifest a domestic suicide bombing mission or a full apeshit rambo style assault on the local police station following a summary execution.

Then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo