PDA

View Full Version : Another (Much Higher) Count Of Homicides By Police

phill4paul
08-29-2014, 08:01 AM
Last week, we wrote about the fact that the U.S. government doesn’t track how many people are killed by the police. The FBI tracks “justifiable” police homicides, which it reports to be about 400 per year, but that tally is an undercount.

Given this vacuum, attention has recently turned to some excellent nongovernmental attempts to compile this data, including the Fatal Encounters database, the recently created Gun Violence Archive and a new database created by Deadspin.

But one recent effort stood out for its apparent comprehensiveness: The Killed By Police Facebook page, which aggregates links to news articles on police-related killings and keeps a running tally on the number of victims. The creator of the page does not seek to determine whether police killings are justifiable; each post “merely documents the occurrence of a death.” He told FiveThirtyEight that he was an instructor on nonviolent physical-intervention techniques and that he prefers to remain anonymous.

Killed by Police had listed more than 1,450 deaths caused by law-enforcement officers since its launch, on May 1, 2013, through Sunday. That works out to about three per day, or 1,100 a year.

By the narrowest measure possible — in which we give police every benefit of the “cause of death” doubt in incidents where they Tasered or restrained suspects – 85 percent of the sampled incidents were the sort of police killings the government might be expected to keep track of. If we include other arrest-related deaths (and they’re included in Bureau of Justice figures), then 93 percent of incidents qualified as police killings.

Applying these percentages to the total count at Killed By Police would imply that officers acting in the line of duty have killed in the neighborhood of 1,250 to 1,350 people since May 1, 2013. That’s about 1,000 deaths per year.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/another-much-higher-count-of-police-homicides/

Anti Federalist
08-29-2014, 10:25 AM
https://www.facebook.com/KilledByPolice

tod evans
08-29-2014, 10:30 AM
Those are just the ones where they actually hit what they were aiming at...

Wonder how many folks are maimed?

SeanTX
08-29-2014, 10:54 AM
I hope this includes all the folks cops are killing through reckless driving, er, I mean "traffic accidents."

Lord Xar
08-29-2014, 11:06 AM
Is there a racial breakdown of this?

aGameOfThrones
08-29-2014, 12:27 PM
Is there a racial breakdown of this?

mundanes if I'm not mistaken.

TheTexan
08-29-2014, 12:32 PM
Statistics from a cop-hating website are obviously going to be biased though. Show me the same statistics from a .gov website and then I'll believe it