PDA

View Full Version : Ferguson Buycott: Tea Party goes shopping

Brian4Liberty
08-27-2014, 09:47 PM
The St. Louis Tea Party made a statement of support by going to Ferguson to provide some revenue to the hardest hit businesses. The media didn't cover it. Don Lemon did not interview them wearing a gas mask. No, the media is too busy with non-stop propaganda meant to divide, demonize, and distract.

Did anyone hear about this? Even Senator Claire McCaskill attended, but apparently she doesn't rate coverage...

Why St. Louis Tea Party Went to Ferguson To Shop
By Bill Hennessy

You can’t change the world in your living room.

That’s why a small band of (mostly) white people from (mostly) West County drove to Ferguson (and Dellwood) to shop tonight.

We targeted the small businesses that were hit hard by violence–violence committed (mostly) by out of town agitators, criminals, vandals, and hooligans.

We drove to Ferguson to make two statements with our actions: 1) Ferguson is OUR community, and 2) Ferguson is open for business.

I met Dellena. Dellena owns the 911 Beauty Salon on West Florissant in Dellwood. Her landlord got foreclosed on, which meant she lost her home, just before the riots. So she moved all her inventory from her house to the store. Then the riots happened, and they took her inventory.

God bless Dellena.

I insisted on buying something–all the people in the salon were so happy and kind. She didn’t have much for white guy gray hair, but she took the time to pull together some gift bags. Then she didn’t want money, but I made her take it.

A gentleman (my age) in the salon (husband?) asked who we were with. I told him “St. Louis Tea Party.”

“Tea party?” he said. “You bad boys,” and chuckled. Then he looked at me, very serious. He said, “The tea party came up here to do this?”

“Oh, yeah,” I said. “we don’t want to see Ferguson go south.”

He laughed. And he looked at me. Then he was quiet, lost in thought for a minute. When he came out of it, he was like our best friend. Laughing, giving us crap about stuff, telling stories. He admitted baseball can be like “watching grass grow.”

In that moment of reflection, I’m sure he was trying to reconcile “tea party” with what he was seeing–four white people, ages 18 to 50, laughing, spending money, empathizing.

That moment made the whole event worthwhile.

In other shops, we’d get hard stares when we walked in and shopped. Once we told them “we’re with the tea party, and we’re here to shop,” these people actually shouted. “Thank you, thank you, thank you so much.”

The greatest statement an organization or person can make is to say with actions, not words, “what unites us is stronger than what divides us.”

This wasn’t a big win in breadth, but it was monumental in depth.

Dellena rocks.

I don’t know, yet, how much money we spent. I don’t even know how many people participated, but it looks like about 40. It was the hottest day of the year (so far). And it was an area that’s now known for rioting.

But the Ferguson Buycott was more successful than I could have dreamed.

I have much more to say, but had to say this much before going to bed.

Why did we go to Ferguson? Because Ferguson ain’t goin’ anywhere.

Next Buycott is Labor Day Weekend. Ask your Missouri State Rep and Senator to pass emergency legislation for a Ferguson Sales Tax Holiday during the veto session.
Everyone who came to Florissant tonight, thank you, thank you, thank you. Include Senator Claire McCaskill who magnanimously join the St. Louis Tea Party Coalition’s BUYcott of Ferguson.
More:
http://hennessysview.com/2014/08/21/why-st-louis-tea-party-went-to-ferguson-to-shop/

AuH20
08-27-2014, 10:01 PM
http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/White-Priv-Conference.png

mad cow
08-27-2014, 10:25 PM
Excellent idea.Iwould do it if I was local.

Spikender
08-27-2014, 10:56 PM
Great stuff.

bunklocoempire
08-28-2014, 02:12 AM
Too cool! :)

Did "Rev." Al show up? No? :toady:

orenbus
08-28-2014, 04:30 AM
Doh didn't see this thread till now, Blaze covered this story, they are going to Ferguson this Saturday as well;

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?458724-The-Blaze-The-Tea-Party-goes-to-Ferguson

tod evans
08-28-2014, 06:31 AM
Great story!

Origanalist
08-28-2014, 06:55 AM
This thread is racist.

presence
08-28-2014, 07:57 AM
Dang! Clair looks great with her new extensions:

http://i.imgur.com/tuHelct.jpg

Brian4Liberty
08-28-2014, 09:59 AM
Doh didn't see this thread till now, Blaze covered this story, they are going to Ferguson this Saturday as well;

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?458724-The-Blaze-The-Tea-Party-goes-to-Ferguson

Is Glenn Beck going?

Brian4Liberty
08-28-2014, 10:06 AM
More coverage:

St. Louis County residents who wanted their voices to be heard decided to show up in Ferguson, Mo. Their goal: To give some much-needed business to shops damaged by vandals and looters.

More than 40 members of the St. Louis Tea Party Coalition headed to the embattled town Thursday evening to shop at the small businesses and support the local economy.

Led by Bill Hennessy, one of the group’s founders, they shopped at a variety of stores in Ferguson and made plans to “buycott” the St. Louis suburb again next weekend.

Protests following the Aug. 9 shooting death of Michael Brown turned violent as riots broke out across the town of 21,000. More than 30 stores were looted and damaged as a result, and one, a QuikTrip, was burned to the ground.

In response, Hennessy planned the “buycott” to remind local consumers that damaged businesses in Ferguson remained open. In an interview with The Daily Signal last week, Hennessy said:

People have in their minds that Ferguson is a very dangerous place, and it’s not. We’re going to continue having occasional ‘buycotts’ long after this is over to keep reminding people that they can go back there. The easiest way to have a long-term problem in Ferguson is for everyone to abandon the area.

On Thursday, shoppers gathered on West Florissant Street at 5 p.m. to begin shopping at stores damaged by looters. Groups of three to four “buycotters” shopped at Sweetie Pie’s, Paul’s Market, the Ferguson Bicycle Shop, Whistle Stop Depot and Sportsprint, among others.

Hennessy, of Wildwood, Mo., said store owners were surprised to see a group of “tea partiers” in Ferguson.
The group’s next “buycott” in Ferguson is set for Labor Day weekend. Hennessy also said he hopes the Missouri state legislature passes an emergency bill creating a Ferguson Sales Tax Holiday from “Black Friday” (the day after Thanksgiving) until Christmas.
More:
http://dailysignal.com/2014/08/25/area-residents-take-streets-ferguson-reason-think/

Ender
08-28-2014, 11:08 AM
AWESOME!

tod evans
08-28-2014, 11:13 AM
Is Glenn Beck going?

Glenn Who? ;)

Brian4Liberty
08-28-2014, 11:55 AM
Glenn Who? ;)

The guy that brings teddy bears to make everyone feel good.

tod evans
08-28-2014, 11:59 AM
The guy that brings teddy bears to make everyone feel good.

Does he have unicorns too?

Anti Federalist
08-28-2014, 01:20 PM
Nice.