PDA

View Full Version : Iowa Poll: Romney at 35%; No Other Candidate In Double-Digits

RonPaulFanInGA
08-27-2014, 03:41 PM
http://www.politico.com/story/2014/08/mitt-romney-2016-election-iowa-poll-110392.html

The day after Mitt Romney opened the door to another possible presidential run, a new poll shows he has a huge lead among likely 2016 Iowa Republican caucus voters.

According to a USA Today/Suffolk University poll released Wednesday, 35 percent of likely GOP caucus voters would vote for the 2012 GOP nominee in 2016. When Romney’s name was added to the pool, no other candidate received double-digit votes.

RonZeplin
08-27-2014, 03:59 PM
Willard M. Romney has gone from working for the Obama campaign, to working for Hillary?

Southron
08-27-2014, 04:03 PM
I guess it's still his turn.

William Tell
08-27-2014, 04:05 PM
He won't run.

CPUd
08-27-2014, 04:23 PM
http://i.imgur.com/jWnFtI7.png

http://i.imgur.com/cbNLdxQ.png

http://www.suffolk.edu/documents/SUPRC/8_27_2014_marginals.pdf

mosquitobite
08-27-2014, 06:59 PM
Who the hell are the 5 Rand Paul supporters that would go to Romney instead? WTF?

CPUd
08-27-2014, 07:13 PM
The thing about this poll (and it was done in other states too), when the questions are asked like that, Mitt is always going to get a big chunk of the vote this early on. No one has even officially launched a campaign yet, while a lot of those polled saw Mitt for years in a primary campaign, and months in a general election campaign, and voted for him in November.

When there are official 2016 candidates, that number will start to go down.

In these polls, Rand does all right as a 2nd choice.

I could also write an article "65% polled will definitely not vote for Mitt".

Keith and stuff
08-27-2014, 07:25 PM
The thing about this poll (and it was done in other states too), when the questions are asked like that, Mitt is always going to get a big chunk of the vote this early on. No one has even officially launched a campaign yet, while a lot of those polled saw Mitt for years in a primary campaign, and months in a general election campaign, and voted for him in November.

Agreed. The thing I'm worried about is when Romney isn't an option Rand is in 5th place at 7%.

Maybe the poll is an outlier. I'm sure things will turn around!

Crashland
08-27-2014, 07:28 PM
206 is a tiny sample size, but it's still not a very good showing for Rand.

dude58677
08-27-2014, 07:37 PM
Romney has announced he won't run.

http://onpolitics.usatoday.com/2014/08/27/romney-one-of-million-dumb-dumber/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatoday-newstopstories

Anti-Neocon
08-27-2014, 07:41 PM
Romney has announced he won't run.

http://onpolitics.usatoday.com/2014/08/27/romney-one-of-million-dumb-dumber/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatoday-newstopstories
Very hopeful interpretation by you.

dude58677
08-27-2014, 07:44 PM
Very hopeful interpretation by you.

He wouldn't run against his friend Paul Ryan and he made it clear he won't run.

Galileo Galilei
08-27-2014, 07:44 PM
Romney is running and the 2016 GOP presidential nomination will come down to Rand or Romney. That said, this is a push poll for Romney, we need to see a real poll with at least 500 primary voters polled and all the candidate presented equally in the first run-at-it. The poll here basically tells us Romney's ceiling. Once he runs and his warts repeated, he will gradually drop 5% to 10% from his peak.

dude58677
08-27-2014, 07:45 PM
Romney is running and the 2016 GOP presidential nomination will come down to Rand or Romney. That said, this is a push poll for Romney, we need to see a real poll with at least 500 primary voters polled and all the candidate presented equally in the first run-at-it. The poll here basically tells us Romney's ceiling. Once he runs and his warts repeated, he will gradually drop 5% to 10% from his peak.

So you're saying there's a chance?

Vanguard101
08-27-2014, 07:52 PM
If Mitt is the nominee, Rand will lose. Rand should definitely make sure our voice is heard like Taft did when Eisenhower won

dude58677
08-27-2014, 07:53 PM
If Mitt is the nominee, Rand will lose. Rand should definitely make sure our voice is heard like Taft did when Eisenhower won

He said he isn't running and he wouldn't because he wants to give his friend Paul Ryan a chance.

CPUd
08-27-2014, 07:55 PM
Agreed. The thing I'm worried about is when Romney isn't an option Rand is in 5th place at 7%.

Maybe the poll is an outlier. I'm sure things will turn around!

17% undecided is a really big number with 12 names to choose from. Iowa is going to be tough to win outright, but these numbers will change dramatically when they are polling official candidates.

green73
08-27-2014, 07:56 PM
Democracy... Let's use bombs to spread it throughout the world.

Galileo Galilei
08-27-2014, 08:02 PM
So you're saying there's a chance?

None of the other establishment candidates can beat Rand. Christie was supposed to be the choice, but his staff is about to be indicted. 2nd choice Bush has been a dud. Rubio is also a dud. Ryan is pretty weak. Walker might not even be establishment and he is fighting for his life in Wisconsin.

Then there are the dark horse establishment candidates like Kasich who is going nowhere and Portman who will not even start going nowhere. Perry is way too erratic for the establishment and he would have to get his charges dropped anyway and they may drag out.

It will be Romney vs. Rand. Get ready. I say Rand wins it.

CPUd
08-27-2014, 08:03 PM

The WMUR poll last month had him at 39%:

http://i.imgur.com/0qozPkv.jpg

William Tell
08-27-2014, 08:05 PM
Romney simply will not run, just as Ron would not run 3rd Party in 12. Romney has admitted to being a flawed candidate. He keeps saying he will not run.

presence
08-27-2014, 08:09 PM
When Romney’s name was added to the pool

That's a bullshit poll; it forms a leading question, which implies a winner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ZZJXw4MTA

CPUd
08-27-2014, 08:09 PM
Romney simply will not run, just as Ron would not run 3rd Party in 12. Romney has admitted to being a flawed candidate. He keeps saying he will not run.

The 2012 run I think was tougher on his wife's health than they were letting on.

Brett85
08-27-2014, 08:20 PM
Oh good grief.

Kotin
08-27-2014, 08:32 PM
are they pranking us or something?? great way to depress a ton of people.. oh wow.

William Tell
08-27-2014, 08:40 PM
The 2012 run I think was tougher on his wife's health than they were letting on.

Doubtless, and women have a hard time seeing their husbands dragged through the dirt. And losing, it is not easy on a marriage. And he would lose again anyway.

thoughtomator
08-27-2014, 08:44 PM
Good time for everyone to refresh themselves as to how Romney's dad f-ed over Goldwater.

Badger Paul
08-27-2014, 09:18 PM
Maybe Rand can have his own little "strategic alliance" with Romney. The Paul 2012 campaign was actually pretty good at that. I wonder cabinet position or federal office he'll sell-out for and I wonder which non-Mitt candidate he'd go after after he loses Iowa?

So where is all this Romney "lovel" coming from? Here's my suspicions:
1). Jeb Bush isn't going to run. No claim on loyalty from Bush Family to the big money men
2). Potential "unity" candidates like Chris Christie, Rick Perry and Scott Walker are too deeply flawed to win a general election.
4). Rubio too unacceptable to party base, nomination would be worthless.
5). Losing GOP vice-presidential candidates usually don't win their party's nomination (Sorry Paul Ryan)
3). Fear that an "unacceptable" candidate wins GOP nomination this time around (Paul, Huckabee, Santorum, Carson) because good chunk of primary electorate more radicalized than before.

So they're calling up Mitt and saying "Hey, even William Bryan ran three times. You can too!"

To sum it up: An intellectually bankrupt party nominates an intellectually bankrupt person. Makes sense I guess.

Badger Paul
08-27-2014, 09:22 PM
"Rand should definitely make sure our voice is heard like Taft did when Eisenhower won"

Yeah that sure happened in Tampa didn't it? Hey all you Ron Paul delegates in 2012, did Mitt hear your voice or did he kick your delegation out of the convention hall?

rich34
08-27-2014, 09:37 PM
Come on people, this poll is BS.. I know some will say all you're just belly aching, but seriously think of it like this. Ron literally came within a mere few thousand votes of winning the caucus outright the last election and some even felt like he was robbed of that. And yes that was against Mr. Romney. So with that said, we all know that Ron's organization and grassroots is still for the most part intact. Even if you want to use the argument that well not all of Ron's hardcore supporters are as happy with Rand as they were Ron then fine, but my question would be then just who the hell else are they going to vote for? None on that list that's for sure, Cruz included. Now factor in the fact that Rand has certainly expanded on Ron's base. To what extent we can't say just yet, but obviously from all the other polls Rand is doing 100 fold better than Ron did at any point in the last two races. So with that said, in my mind this poll is absolute BS and is evidence that the establishment must be starting very early in trying to derail Rand and disperse support to any and all other candidates whether Romney runs or not. That to me is the goal here. Splinter Rand's support using all methods possible. Even using a push/fake poll as they did with Santorum's "Surge" to create an alternate public perception. They're very good at this and should and must be expected. However the true hardcore supporters must not in no way be fazed by BS polls like this because that is their intent hoping to pour cold water onto Rand's/Ron's base. If they can succeed at cooling the hardcore support then they win, if not then they know it's going the distance with Rand unlike Ron having the stamina to take it 15 rounds.

rich34
08-27-2014, 09:56 PM
The WMUR poll last month had him at 39%:

http://i.imgur.com/0qozPkv.jpg

Now Romney probably does have much more support here than in Iowa, but are we to really believe that someone like Bobby Jindal from the deep south is literally within the margin of error and only two points behind Rand? Come on!! Then add Bush to the mix and claim he's only 1 point behind Rand? BS again. The media is starting early by using these bogus polls to influence the ignorant people into supporting any other candidate but Paul. Because say Romney doesn't run, what this does is cause all those who thought he was going to run have to revaluate just who they will support. And by that time I'm sure they'll be hitting Rand with every bit of dirt they can throw at him causing people to go every direction possible. The key imo, is Ron/Rand's true hardcore supporters have to remain united and preserve. To those that followed the treatment of Ron the last two elections especially the last one leading up to the Iowa vote we should know their tactics in our sleep. This is just that, a tactic meant to disperse support to anyone but Paul. The hardcore have to remain united and push through their BS and continue doing the best they can educating their fellow citizens. Obviously with the last few polls showing Paul having the best chance out of all the candidates at sweeping both Iowa and NH it's no surprise they're starting here with these two states for fear that if Rand does indeed pull off a sweep it very well could be all over, but the crying for those that do not support Rand. In their eyes, this CANNOT happen. Hence "hey lets pull out the same type of poll that duped the people into believing that Santorum was really surging" before he was really surging. Once that fake ass CNN poll convinced the people that Santorum was actually "surging" they created an artificial bandwagon affect. Don't fall for it folks, yes it's possible for them to do this because it's been done time and time again, but we must see it and recognize and expect it when it comes. This is one of them. Rand is and will do great.

RM918
08-27-2014, 10:19 PM
If this is accurate at all, I only have one question:

What the fuck is wrong with these people?

8 years of having the party constantly kicked in the nuts because of neocon corruption and they're still overwhelmingly attached to this empty establishment puppet? There's no stronger candidate for 'more of the same' than Mitt Goddamned Romney.

cajuncocoa
08-27-2014, 10:22 PM
Never underestimate the Republican Party's ability to pull defeat from the jaws of victory.

hardrightedge
08-27-2014, 11:30 PM
Setting up the reluctant candidate storyline...what a joke...

extortion17
08-28-2014, 03:23 AM
Romney is running and the 2016 GOP presidential nomination will come down to Rand or Romney.

And a Dr. Paul will again take the delegates from Iowa - in the end anyway, after all the polls and caucuses and bullsheeeet-
at the GOP National Convention at Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland in June 2016.

but it was a ruse to have the media claim a Romney/Santorum "win" in Iowa in January 2012 when that "effed up" caucus process in Iowa first gets reported in the media.

So, in the end the Iowa delegation at the GOP Convention in Tampa were all it's votes for Ron Paul.

Romney raped Iowa in the media, made it a meaningless caucus state -
but used the glam of the media to parlay it into real primary wins later with committed delegates in other states.

We'll see if the Rand campaign can do the same in Iowa as his Dad did - and get the caucus delegates on the first ballot
for this 2016 election cycle at Cleveland,Ohio.

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo161/sunblush/RonPaul001.jpg (http://s372.photobucket.com/user/sunblush/media/RonPaul001.jpg.html)

but I wonder if Iowa is a bellweather or just a waste of time and money.

Ground forces for Rand should start in Ohio . . . jus' sayin'

Maybe a Rand 2016 campaign song or two . . . for O-hi-O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvAYGz6Iwmc

Oh, and fuck the Romney-bots

extortion17
08-28-2014, 03:27 AM
Now Romney probably does have much more support here than in Iowa, . . .

Iowa, the state that Dr. Ron Paul (R-TX) won all the delegates at the National Convention in Tampa in 2012.

extortion17
08-28-2014, 03:51 AM
That's a bullshit poll; it forms a leading question, which implies a winner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ZZJXw4MTA

"The perfect "balanced" sample" . . . the Romney-bots are real good at creating bull-sheeeet out of nothing, statistically.

So are Americans ready for a Mormon in the White House ? NO
as the last question of the Romney-bot poll for heavily Catholic eastern Iowa which opposes
the Massachusetts Flipper

Can Romney win Iowa ? Maybe
Can Romney win Ohio ? NO
Can Rand win Ohio ? YES

Brett85
09-30-2014, 08:35 PM
This just makes me sick. It's looking more and more likely that he's going to run. Republican voters are just so stupid.

CPUd
09-30-2014, 09:20 PM
This just makes me sick. It's looking more and more likely that he's going to run. Republican voters are just so stupid.

When other people actually become candidates in about 6 months, there won't be polls like this. Those voters aren't stupid, they just don't see any other real choice, because there isn't one.

idiom
09-30-2014, 09:56 PM
Its Ryan versus Rand. All other gyrations are there to shift numbers from Rand to Ryan, or to secure VP spots, cabinet spots, cushy posts, or sell books.