PDA

View Full Version : Cops victims of a disturbing hate crime in Brooklyn

presence
08-27-2014, 01:39 PM
Brooklyn cops investigating anti-NYPD graffiti (http://nypost.com/2014/08/27/brooklyn-cops-investigating-anti-nypd-graffiti/)

By Natasha Velez (http://nypost.com/author/natasha-velez/)

August 27, 2014 | 12:06pm
Modal Trigger (http://********************************/2014/08/nypd.jpg) http://********************************/2014/08/nypd.jpg?w=720&h=480&crop=1

This anti-NYPD graffiti is just half a block from the 94th precinct in Greenpoint.
Photo: Paul Martinka

Cops themselves may be the victims of a disturbing hate crime in Brooklyn, police sources said Tuesday.

“NAZIS=NYPD,” a vandal spray-painted, along with a swastika, on a police car.

Other hateful messages — painted on and near a school in Williamsburg — proclaimed, “NYPD pick on the harmless,” and “NYPD pick on the innocent.”
The harsh words come just days after an anti-cop protest on Staten Island.

A custodian at P.S. 31 on Lorimer and Mesorole streets discovered the tags at around 5:30 a.m. Tuesday, police sources said.

Cop-hating and anti-Semitic remarks were also plastered on vans and scooters near the school, the sources said.

A Rite Aid shop and a post office were also also hit with the graffiti, according to police sources.

The NYPD’s Hate Crime Task Force is investigating, police sources said.

Investigators are scouring the area for video surveillance to identify the vandal or vandals, police sources said. Nobody is being questioned at this time, the sources said.

On Sunday, thousands of protesters slammed the NYPD for the death of Eric Garner, who died after a cop placed him in a chokehold.

The custodian reported the disturbing messages to the 94th precinct.

Danke
08-27-2014, 01:45 PM
"Hate Crime Task Force"

lol

limequat
08-27-2014, 01:48 PM
I am disturbed!

tod evans
08-27-2014, 01:56 PM
"Hate Crime Task Force"

lol

Hey a couple of $5.00 cans of spray paint equates to umpteen $75,000+ government jobs...

And............Whataya want to bet they have a SWAT team or 7?

jkr
08-27-2014, 02:27 PM
the
writing
on
the
wall

Christian Liberty
08-27-2014, 02:31 PM
How in the world is this a "hate crime"?

I understand that the cops = nazis comparison is overblown, but I don't really feel bad for them either, and its a welcome change from all the cop-worship

acptulsa
08-27-2014, 02:35 PM
One: Weren't hate crimes defined as hate against people for their race, or gender, or age, or for other things beyond their control? And wouldn't this expansion of the definition to include professions mean that cops who target, say, pimps or safecrackers would be committing 'hate crimes'?

Two, is any use of the swastika now considered anti-semitic? So, using the swastika to decry the holocaust would now be considered prejudice against Jews?

phill4paul
08-27-2014, 02:42 PM
Two, is any use of the swastika now considered anti-semitic? So, using the swastika to decry the holocaust would now be considered prejudice against Jews?

Exactly why I was thinking wtf while reading.

Acala
08-27-2014, 02:48 PM
Police officers were so upset it put them off their feed.

mad cow
08-27-2014, 03:23 PM
Graffiti on someone else's property is the only crime I see here,and it looks like it has happened before,judging from the painted bricks.

The message,on the other hand,is the absolute truth,in fact and in Law.How could anybody construe this message as any sort of crime,let alone a "Hate Crime"?

Anti Federalist
08-27-2014, 03:30 PM
the
writing
on
the
wall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbh_k5GLRuQ

aGameOfThrones
08-27-2014, 05:40 PM
don't that near a doughnut shop.

SeanTX
08-27-2014, 06:04 PM
I understand that the cops = nazis comparison is overblown

Yes, it is -- however, a comparison to the police/Stasi of the former East Germany isn't very far off the mark ...

phill4paul
09-04-2014, 08:21 AM
Update:

The NYPD does not take making fun of the NYPD lightly. A 36-year-old woman in Brooklyn has been arrested and charged with criminal mischief as a hate crime, plus aggravated harassment, for spray-painting PG-13 punk sentiments on police vehicles and a public school wall in Williamsburg. Her allegedly hateful messages included "Nazis=NYPD" and "a wrongful arrest is a crime."

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/09/anti-cop-graffiti-apparently-a-felony-hate-crime.html

When it comes to such heinous crimes they always get their man, or woman in this case.

Christian Liberty
09-04-2014, 08:24 AM
Graffiti on someone else's property is the only crime I see here,and it looks like it has happened before,judging from the painted bricks.

The message,on the other hand,is the absolute truth,in fact and in Law.How could anybody construe this message as any sort of crime,let alone a "Hate Crime"?

Government doesn't rightfully own property, so graffiti on government property shouldn't be a crime, nor should destruction of government property.

Yes, it is -- however, a comparison to the police/Stasi of the former East Germany isn't very far off the mark ...

May be. I don't know much about the East German stasi. That's the comparison Eric Peters uses most often. The US police are certainly pretty darn bad.

JK/SEA
09-04-2014, 08:56 AM
looks like the 'bending to one knee with head bowed' as you approach a 'hero' is not to far off afterall...

start practicing. Your local Police Precinct will be giving lessons.

Anti Federalist
09-04-2014, 09:07 AM
http://www.cinemorgue.com/billiecook.jpg

John F Kennedy III
09-04-2014, 09:08 AM
Police officers were so upset it put them off their feed.

One piggy nearly choked to death on a donut. Luckily his laughter saved his life and he coughed it up watching his partner taser and beat the clerk.

Anti Federalist
09-04-2014, 09:11 AM
May be. I don't know much about the East German stasi. That's the comparison Eric Peters uses most often. The US police are certainly pretty darn bad.

Get reading, brother.

By the 1970s, the Stasi had decided that methods of overt persecution which had been employed up to that time, such as arrest and torture, were too crude and obvious. It was realised that psychological harassment was far less likely to be recognised for what it was, so its victims, and their supporters, were less likely to be provoked into active resistance, given that they would often not be aware of the source of their problems, or even its exact nature. Zersetzung was designed to side-track and "switch off" perceived enemies so that they would lose the will to continue any "inappropriate" activities.

Tactics employed under Zersetzung generally involved the disruption of the victim's private or family life. This often included psychological attacks such as breaking into homes and messing with the contents – moving furniture, altering the timing of an alarm, removing pictures from walls or replacing one variety of tea with another. Other practices included property damage, sabotage of cars, purposely incorrect medical treatment, smear campaigns including sending falsified compromising photos or documents to the victim's family, denunciation, provocation, psychological warfare, psychological subversion, wiretapping, bugging, mysterious phone calls or unnecessary deliveries, even including sending a vibrator to a target's wife. Usually victims had no idea the Stasi were responsible. Many thought they were losing their minds, and mental breakdowns and suicide could result.

One great advantage of the harassment perpetrated under Zersetzung was that its subtle nature meant that it was able to be plausibly denied. That was important given that the GDR was trying to improve its international standing during the 1970s and 80s, especially in conjunction with the Ostpolitik of West-German chancellor Willy Brandt massively improving relations between the two German states.

green73
09-04-2014, 09:14 AM
Government doesn't rightfully own property, so graffiti on government property shouldn't be a crime, nor should destruction of government property.

There was a Rite Aid involved. They're the real victims in this story.

green73
09-04-2014, 09:15 AM

There was a Rite Aid involved.

KingNothing
09-04-2014, 10:04 AM
This is probably the most absurd evocation of the absurd notion of "hate crime," in American history.

I'm pretty sure that this is actually just civil disobedience.

KingNothing
09-04-2014, 10:06 AM

The whole "two wrongs don't make a right," notion is beyond you, I guess?

JustinTime
09-04-2014, 11:34 AM
The idea of "hate crime" was one of the worst concepts ever introduced into American law.

green73
09-04-2014, 11:38 AM
Speaking Ill of the Police is a “Hate Crime” (http://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog/speaking-ill-of-the-police-is-a-hate-crime/) William Norman Grigg

The NYPD has now added its name to the roster of Officially Protected Victims by filing “hate crimes” charges against 36-year-old Rosella Best (http://animalnewyork.com/2014/anti-cop-graffiti-suspect-charged-hate-crime/), who had tagged police vehicles and a public school with anti-NYPD graffiti. Among the entirely defensible sentiments inscribed by Best are “NYPD pick on the harmless,” “NYPD pick on the innocent,” and — in a display of familiar but increasingly justified hyperbole — “NAZIS=NYPD.” (Assuming that Ms. Best used only “public” property as her canvas, it’s difficult to identify an actual victim in this case.)

Like other agencies of its kind, the NYPD is well-stocked with the kind of privileged bullies who have mastered the art of simultaneously swaggering and simpering. Thus anonymous sources described the graffiti to the New York Post (http://nypost.com/2014/08/27/brooklyn-cops-investigating-anti-nypd-graffiti/) as “a disturbing hate crime.” After Best was identified through video surveillance, the department arrested her and charged her with “criminal mischief as a hate crime.”

Under Article 485 of New York Penal Law (http://ypdcrime.com/penal.law/article485.htm?zoom_highlight=Criminal+mischief+as +a+hate+crime), a “hate crime” must involve “violence, intimidation [or] destruction of property” inspired by animus toward people on the basis of “race, color, national origin, ancestry. gender, religion, religious practice, age, disability, or sexual orientation.” Absent from that inventory is any mention of occupation as a “protected category,” which means that the NYPD must consider itself to be either a tribe, a cult, or perhaps even a sexual orientation, most likely one that fetishizes sadistic mistreatment of the helpless.

The statute also specifies that the offending act must be intended to “inflict on victims incalculable physical and emotional damage” and be intended to “intimidate and disrupt entire communities….” By filing a hate crimes charge against Ms. Best, the NYPD is certifying that its rank and file consists of people who are wounded and intimidated by public criticism. If the bold and valiant badasses of the NYPD must be protected from words, they’re obviously ill-suited to protect the public, as if that noble calling were part of their actual job description.

Mani
09-05-2014, 03:39 AM
So if I'm from Wisconsin....and someone from Chicago spray paints my car while I'm in Chicago, "Go back to WI you fat fuck! You Nazi bastard!" Can I charge the offender with a hate crime?

He/She obviously HATES people from Wisconsin.....and I feared for my safety and all...

Mani
09-05-2014, 03:42 AM
If I go to Philly and attend at Eagles game wearing Cowboys clothes.

And all game I'm insulted by Eagles fan, and then beat up in the parking lot...Can I get them arrested for a hate crime? Because they Hate Cowboy fans?

PaulConventionWV
09-05-2014, 06:34 AM

Where's the second wrong?

Christian Liberty
09-05-2014, 06:50 AM

I wouldn't do it, but I don't think vandalizing government property is a wrong, anymore than vandalizing the mafia would be a wrong.

Now, if someone were to vandalize PRIVATE property in response to government wrongs, then the "two wrongs don't make a right" line would be applicable.

So if I'm from Wisconsin....and someone from Chicago spray paints my car while I'm in Chicago, "Go back to WI you fat fuck! You Nazi bastard!" Can I charge the offender with a hate crime?

He/She obviously HATES people from Wisconsin.....and I feared for my safety and all...

That would actually be worse than what happened, you own your car and would be entitled to compensation for damage done.

Where's the second wrong?
Exactly.

acptulsa
09-05-2014, 10:02 AM
The idea of "hate crime" was one of the worst concepts ever introduced into American law.

It was. But this concept of using it to stifle public criticism of a government--an alleged republic--is so horrible it makes the basic concept look halfway sensible.

Regardless of whether the NYPD is, as Will Grigg put it, a tribe, or a cult, or a sexual orientation that involves sadism, the fact is that they are paid by tax money and the First Amendment guarantees us the freedom to criticize them, honestly or otherwise, just as much as we need or want to do.

This lady needs a lawyer who can and will keep appealing this shit until he or she winds up sticking it right in John Roberts' face. The NYPD obviously needs to have it hammered into their thick skulls just what a piddling, piss poor, pathetic understanding of the law of the land they really have.