PDA

View Full Version : Beverly Hills film producer on way to Emmy's party mistaken for bank robber handcuffed on curb

donnay
08-26-2014, 08:05 PM
Beverly Hills film producer on way to Emmy's party mistaken for bank robber handcuffed on curb and held by police for six hours until they realized their mistake

By James Nye for MailOnline

Harvard graduate Charles Belk, 51, pulled over on curb in Beverly Hills on Friday
Claims he was handcuffed on curb without explanation and held for six hours
Television producer was arrested on way to pay parking meter before heading to Emmy's pre-party
Released after police reviewed surveillance video and admitted mistake

A film and television producer preparing to attend an Emmy's pre-party on Friday says he was wrongly held for six hours by officers of the Beverly Hills police force who said he 'fit the description' of a black bank robber.

Harvard graduate Charles Belk, 51, posted a photograph to Facebook of himself handcuffed and sitting on a curb with two officers standing over him after he was pulled over as he left a restaurant to top up a parking meter.

The award-winning executive says he was swarmed on Wilshire Boulevard by officers and not told why he had been arrested and was denied a phone call before being released just before midnight when police admitted they had made a mistake.

Continued... (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2735166/Beverly-Hills-film-producer-way-Emmys-party-mistaken-bank-robber-handcuffed-curb-held-police-six-hours-realized-mistake.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490)

DamianTV
08-26-2014, 08:20 PM
Perhaps the Celebrity status will get the concept of Excessive Policing to get a few more people to wake up?

limequat
08-26-2014, 08:27 PM
Perhaps the Celebrity status will get the concept of Excessive Policing to get a few more people to wake up?

Nope, dude was black. It was racism man.

Brian4Liberty
08-26-2014, 09:29 PM

That.

Mani
08-26-2014, 10:49 PM

Unfortunately, they can keep pigeon holing the issue into a white/black issue. Instead of an out of control police state.

limequat
08-27-2014, 06:31 AM
Unfortunately, they can keep pigeon holing the issue into a white/black issue. Instead of an out of control police state.

Yep, this is why the media is happy to report on ferguson, but not -say- Miriam Carey.

cajuncocoa
08-27-2014, 06:38 AM
Yep, this is why the media is happy to report on ferguson, but not -say- Miriam Carey.
Miriam Carey was also black.

specsaregood
08-27-2014, 06:43 AM
Harvard graduate Charles Belk, 51, posted a photograph to Facebook of himself handcuffed and sitting on a curb with two officers standing over him after he was pulled over as he left a restaurant to top up a parking meter.

Whats the point in mentioning that he is a Harvard grad? Is that supposed to imply that Harvard grads can't be criminals? Or that they are above prosecution and arrest? I can't think of anything less meaningful to mention in this type of situation -- well I guess they could have mentioned what type of icecream he likes -- yet there it is twice in the article summary.

donnay
08-27-2014, 08:00 AM
Whats the point in mentioning that he is a Harvard grad? Is that supposed to imply that Harvard grads can't be criminals? Or that they are above prosecution and arrest? I can't think of anything less meaningful to mention in this type of situation -- well I guess they could have mentioned what type of icecream he likes -- yet there it is twice in the article summary.

Yeah I think the writer of the article is trying to get you to understand that he wasn't from the ghetto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKzWTwJwrGc

specsaregood
08-27-2014, 08:04 AM
Yeah I think the writer of the article is trying to get you to understand that he wasn't from the ghetto.

People from the ghetto are incapable of going to Harvard? The thing is, there is no way the cops could have known the person went to Harvard when they pulled him over. Its not something I would think some cops on the street should even consider when making arrests. So whats the point in mentioning it?

nevermind me, just b*tching.

pcosmar
08-27-2014, 08:32 AM

How about a seriously Out of Control Police State with obviously Racist Issues.
Not just racist,, but also racist. (among several other issues)

donnay
08-27-2014, 09:31 AM
People from the ghetto are incapable of going to Harvard? The thing is, there is no way the cops could have known the person went to Harvard when they pulled him over. Its not something I would think some cops on the street should even consider when making arrests. So whats the point in mentioning it?

nevermind me, just b*tching.

Sorry, I was being sarcastic. I forgot the <s>. That's why I put up the clip to Trading Places. :D

ETA: Another good clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVZwoLZgrRs

limequat
08-27-2014, 10:45 AM
Miriam Carey was also black.

Right, but it would be so much harder to paint as racism. First it was the capitol police, not some corn-fed southern PD. Then they probably didn't even know her race until they pulled the baby from the car.
Institutional racism in MO, yah roll with that. Institutional racism in DC? Not gonna happen.

Mani
08-27-2014, 08:49 PM
How about a seriously Out of Control Police State with obviously Racist Issues.
Not just racist,, but also racist. (among several other issues)

That's probably the best definition.