PDA

View Full Version : Northern California rocked by magnitude 6.0 earthquake

Brian4Liberty
08-24-2014, 11:46 AM
For those who have not experienced earthquakes, a 6.0 is a pretty big one of you are near the epicenter. You don't just go back to sleep, as most of the San Francisco Bay area did.

A magnitude 6.0 earthquake hit Northern California near Napa Valley Sunday, injuring 87 — 3 critically — and causing extensive damage, including fires sparked by burst gas lines, in the largest tremor to rock the Bay Area since the magnitude 6.9 Loma Prieta quake in 1989.

Leslie Gordon of the U.S. Geological Survey says the tremor struck just before 3:30 a.m. Sunday local time, about 10 miles northwest of American Canyon, which is about 6 miles southwest of Napa.
More:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/08/24/usgs-60-magnitude-earthquake-shakes-northern-california/

SONOMA, Calif. -- During the 6.0 earthquake that rattled the Napa Valley early Sunday morning, Helio Castroneves became fixated on pictures hanging on his hotel room wall.

"Mirrors breaking in the bathroom, you hear the alarms, pipes (breaking) and not a single picture moved," the Verizon IndyCar Series driver told USA TODAY Sports on Sunday at Sonoma Raceway, where the season's penultimate race still is scheduled to be run.
Castroneves was asleep in a downtown Napa hotel, about 10 miles north of the earthquake's epicenter. The earthquake, whose epicenter was in American Canyon, about 15 miles east of Sonoma Raceway, is the area's most significant in 25 years.

Castroneves' room started shaking about 3:20 a.m. local time. Disoriented, the Brazilian didn't initially know what was happening since his only earthquake experience occurred years ago in Japan, but that was little more than a tremor.

This time, ground movement forced a hotel evacuation. It was outside where the scope of the situation came to light. Castroneves shared the story exchange he had with Team Penske teammate Will Power and company president Tim Cindric.
"Will thought it was the end of the world, I thought it was a plane crash," Castroneves said. "It was this rumbling noise, and it completely trashed the bathroom. It was like a movie, and I was in it.

"A very scary moment. I'm still shaking."

Cindric posted photographs on Twitter of hotel damage with debris scattered.

"Not fun," he wrote.
Track officials said the 12-turn, 2.385-mile circuit was not damaged and the IndyCar Series race will take place at 1:40 p.m. PT as scheduled (4:40 p.m. ET, NBC Sports Network).
More:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/motor/indycar/2014/08/24/earthquake-in-california-shakes-indycar-drivers-sonoma-raceway/14526093/

MelissaWV
08-24-2014, 11:50 AM
Was just reading about this, too:

In an unexpected discovery, hundreds of gas plumes bubbling up from the seafloor were spotted during a sweeping survey of the U.S. Atlantic Coast.

Even though ocean explorers have yet to test the gas, the bubbles are almost certainly methane, researchers report today (Aug. 24) in the journal Nature Geoscience.

"We don't know of any explanation that fits as well as methane," said lead study author Adam Skarke, a geologist at Mississippi State University in Mississippi State.

And...

Spectacular footage has emerged showing an enormous crack in the Earth stretching across an arid stretch of northwest Mexico.

The giant chasm, located near Hermosillo in the state of Sonora, is around a half-mile long and up to 26 feet deep in some places, Sky News reported.

Eerie video footage shot by a drone was posted to YouTube earlier this week.

The camera traces along the trench, catching befuddled motorists standing near its edge.

The crack is 16 feet wide in some places and has forced drivers on the local highway to take long detours in order to get around it, Sky News said.

phill4paul
08-24-2014, 05:47 PM
7.0 in Peru...

http://comcat.cr.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/usb000s5x1#summary

lilymc
08-24-2014, 06:06 PM
I saw some photos that my cousin posted on Facebook, of their house after the quake. (They were out of town when it happened.)

For a 6.1, it looked pretty bad! A cabinet toppled over, stuff all over the place, dishes on the kitchen floor, etc.

Kinda crazy... because I've been through stronger quakes than that (being a native Californian) that left less of a mess, at least in my place.

Just to add, they live in Napa.

thoughtomator
08-24-2014, 06:52 PM
I found it most interesting that this fault is said to have been dormant 1.8 million years. Hell of a time for it to wake up - I wonder if the drought has anything to do with it?

jclay2
08-24-2014, 07:13 PM
Remember that the Richter scale is base 10. Each round number is 10 times the strength of the previous. The 1906 quake that hit California was apparently a 8.0, making it 100 times stronger than the one experienced today.

Danke
08-24-2014, 07:56 PM
It woke me up in my hotel room, I thought it was that young couple next door.

I was gonna go down to the front desk and complain, but the elevators shut down from the motion.

anaconda
08-24-2014, 08:09 PM
I was pulling up to my 24 hr. Fitness in Oakland for a late night treadmill and didn't feel a thing. The front desk guy asked if I felt it and said it happened just as I pulled up to park, as he was out at the sidewalk having a look.