PDA

View Full Version : ‘Police-Initiated Violence Should Surprise No One’ by Ron Paul

Libertydreamer
08-23-2014, 07:25 PM
From voicesofliberty.com updated: August 21, 2014 by Ron Paul

‘Police-Initiated Violence Should Surprise No One'

August 14, 2014 – Violence in Ferguson, Mo. is getting a lot of deserved media attention. The militarization of the police has been a topic frequently addressed on this channel. It’s been pointed out that it seems that a culture of violence has invaded all policing activities in the United States. The federal government now has over 100,000 bureaucrats who carry guns.

Last year, I made comments on how federal law enforcement personnel closed down Boston by essentially invoking martial law following the bombing at the marathon. My opinion was that it represented a gross overreaction by the police and something that would have never happened just several decades ago.

Protesters to the police killing an unarmed teenager have been met with tear gas, a substance banned in warfare. Police-initiated violence should surprise no one. NSA spies on everyone without warrants. Drug busts with SWAT teams making mistakes are common. The excessive use of police power should be an expected consequence of big government, which is authoritarian by nature.

Too many bureaucrats with guns, too many laws, too many regulations, too many prisons—all designed to protect the state. The people’s liberties are forgotten.

As the economy continues to deteriorate, expect the violence to accelerate. The unfairness of the distribution of wealth that is caused by economic intervention is the constant, smoldering issue that can turn a skirmish with the law into something much bigger. When root causes are not understood, emotions can easily take over. A simple, short version of what would help us is:

1. Understand the true nature of civil liberties and the right to own property.

2. Keep government small and the police local.

3. When a nation is prosperous and the middle class is large, envy and hate are minimized.

4. Prosperity for the maximum number of people can only be achieved through a free market economy and not by excessive policing of an authoritarian government involved in the redistribution of wealth.

fisharmor
08-23-2014, 07:36 PM
2. Keep government small and the police local.

I still love you Ron, but at some point you gotta realize that you can't do this.
You started the article talking about Ferguson, and the whole incident there is about a local cop working for a small local government.
The solution you pitched is at odds with everything else you wrote, and most of your fans realize it at this point.

Christian Liberty
08-23-2014, 09:21 PM
I still love you Ron, but at some point you gotta realize that you can't do this.
You started the article talking about Ferguson, and the whole incident there is about a local cop working for a small local government.
The solution you pitched is at odds with everything else you wrote, and most of your fans realize it at this point.

What I want to see is what actually happened and if the cop gets punished for it.

The problem with the State (on this issue) isn't that cops commit crimes. Its that cops can legally commit crimes, and get away with crime.

thoughtomator
08-23-2014, 10:09 PM

The mindset is DHS-driven, and the equipment is Pentagon-driven, and few (none?) of the officers actually live in the neighborhood. That is not small and local.

Libertydreamer
08-24-2014, 07:41 AM
I'm not as much interested in the particular circumstances of this incident as I am concerned about the larger overall problem of a failed fifty year social welfare experiment combined with the fiscal and monetary policies of a failed Keynesian economic experiment throughout the past century. As the economy continues to get much worse in the near future and the government is increasingly unable to pay its "obligations" to welfare, social security and government pension recipients these incidences of violence and social unrest will become much more frequent and widespread throughout the country.

As Ron Paul so accurately states at the end of his editorial, "Prosperity for the maximum number of people can only be achieved through a free market economy and not by excessive policing of an authoritarian government involved in the redistribution of wealth." Unfortunately these are principles and beliefs this country abandoned all too long ago.

Christian Liberty
08-24-2014, 01:54 PM
I'm not as much interested in the particular circumstances of this incident as I am concerned about the larger overall problem of a failed fifty year social welfare experiment combined with the fiscal and monetary policies of a failed Keynesian economic experiment throughout the past century. As the economy continues to get much worse in the near future and the government is increasingly unable to pay its "obligations" to welfare, social security and government pension recipients these incidences of violence and social unrest will become much more frequent and widespread throughout the country.

As Ron Paul so accurately states at the end of his editorial, "Prosperity for the maximum number of people can only be achieved through a free market economy and not by excessive policing of an authoritarian government involved in the redistribution of wealth." Unfortunately these are principles and beliefs this country abandoned all too long ago.

I agree with your point (and by extension, Ron Paul's) but Fisharmor is correct that, at the end of the day, ALL statist systems involve the redistribution of wealth. The one we had in the 18th century was far less egregious than the one we have today, but it was still there.

Libertydreamer
08-24-2014, 03:45 PM
I agree with your point (and by extension, Ron Paul's) but Fisharmor is correct that, at the end of the day, ALL statist systems involve the redistribution of wealth. The one we had in the 18th century was far less egregious than the one we have today, but it was still there.

And I agree with you as well. The limited government that we had prior to 1913 which allowed for all the incredible advances during industrial revolution was obviously much better than what we have experienced ever since but, since government and free market capitalism are complete opposites I am in complete support of the miraculous invisible hand of free market capitalism and ever increasingly becoming a Rothbardian Anarcho-Capitalist. Free market capitalism and money (real sound money) are two of man kinds greatest inventions. To say its a inhumane crying shame that neither one are allowed to operate and function properly as they should is probably one of the greatest understatements in the history of the world.

Christian Liberty
08-24-2014, 04:48 PM
And I agree with you as well. The limited government that we had prior to 1913 which allowed for all the incredible advances during industrial revolution was obviously much better than what we have experienced ever since but, since government and free market capitalism are complete opposites I am in complete support of the miraculous invisible hand of free market capitalism and ever increasingly becoming a Rothbardian Anarcho-Capitalist. Free market capitalism and money (real sound money) are two of man kinds greatest inventions. To say its a inhumane crying shame that neither one are allowed to operate and function properly as they should is probably one of the greatest understatements in the history of the world.

Hats off to you.

You may find its a lonely world as an ancap, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I'd +rep you but since you are using a guest account I can't.

Libertydreamer
08-24-2014, 05:56 PM
Hats off to you.

You may find its a lonely world as an ancap, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I'd +rep you but since you are using a guest account I can't.

Thanks. I've only recently discovered this forum but from the posts I've read there are obviously a lot of intelligent, well informed like minded people here and I'd like to hopefully join as a member soon. I'm not very political because quite frankly I've always considered politics to be an absolute waste of human resources and completely hopeless in terms of providing anything constructive to society.

If there were dozens of like minded conscientious courageous Senators and hundreds of congressmen like Ron Paul then maybe there might be some hope of making the necessary changes through the political process but unfortunately Ron Paul is one of a kind and he's not even in the government anymore to provide the lone voice of sanity and reason. I suppose the only way of stopping the power and corruption of our federal government will have to be the complete collapse of our economy to starve the beast and/or some sort of successful succession movement. I look forward to reading more intelligent and thoughtful discussions on these and other ideas on this forum in the future.

Libertydreamer
08-24-2014, 06:04 PM
Pardon my ignorance and bad grammar, I meant secession not succession. Unfortunately its a word Im not used to using much until fairly recently. But its a word that seems to be quite appropriate as one of the few solutions (if there really are any at this point) to the problems we face in this country today.