PDA

View Full Version : Seven billion people and I was the first. F-U Universal Pictures. 33 months in jail

aGameOfThrones
08-23-2014, 01:55 PM
Man lands in jail for using phone to pirate movie at the theater

The concept of someone recording films at movie theaters for pirating purposes seems so outdated. Yet, that's still happening in some parts of the world, apparently. Most recently, there's the case of Philip Danks, a 25-year-old UK man who just got sentenced to 33 months of jail time after using his phone to record a film in the theater and, subsequently, upload it to his website to let the internet download it at no cost -- at least initially. So which movie, you ask? None other than Fast & Furious 6. According to Universal Pictures, Danks' pirated upload was downloaded nearly 780,000 times, which the studio claimed resulted in a loss of about £2.5 million, or about 4.1 million in US dollars. After his initial arrest, and before he pleaded guilty to the charges yesterday, Danks took to his Facebook page to share his feelings about the ordeal: "Seven billion people and I was the first. Fuck you Universal Pictures." He's now facing 33 months in jail, while 120 hours of unpaid community service were served to a friend who helped him along the way.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/22/dom-and-the-crew/

Anti Federalist
08-23-2014, 02:01 PM
So, stop going.

Especially to garbage like Fast and Furious 6.

RonPaulFanInGA
08-23-2014, 02:03 PM
Someone is mad that they got caught.

Christian Liberty
08-23-2014, 02:07 PM
So, stop going.

Why is it garbage? I honestly know absolutely nothing about that movie.

I know the IP debate is inevitably going to come up here, and I'm not that strongly opinionated on it. I certainly believe he should have abided by the theater policy. But, prison time? How authoritarian is that? Ridiculous.

Natural Citizen
08-23-2014, 02:09 PM
So, stop going.

I liked the first one. :cool:

Zippyjuan
08-23-2014, 02:17 PM
First person?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i45IsSYF-PI

thoughtomator
08-23-2014, 02:25 PM
Last movie I saw in a theater was The Passion of the Christ.... when was that, 2004? Only reason I went then was because I had a date with a super hot chick and an excuse to be alone in the dark was just what the doctor ordered. Before that? I can't remember. I might have seen a movie in a theater in 2001 or so.

If they want to get me in a theater they're going to have to do something compelling, like making a sequel to The Matrix. Too bad they never did.

Anti Federalist
08-23-2014, 02:27 PM
Why is it garbage? I honestly know absolutely nothing about that movie.

I know the IP debate is inevitably going to come up here, and I'm not that strongly opinionated on it. I certainly believe he should have abided by the theater policy. But, prison time? How authoritarian is that? Ridiculous.

Rest assured, sixth sequel of a not so great movie to begin with = garbage.

I can't think of much of Hollywood's output that is not garbage, actually.

Christian Liberty
08-23-2014, 02:53 PM
Rest assured, sixth sequel of a not so great movie to begin with = garbage.

I can't think of much of Hollywood's output that is not garbage, actually.

Last movie I went to see was Guardians of the Galaxy, which was awesome. I typically prefer "fringe" type movies where the main characters are on the wrong side of the law...

KingNothing
08-23-2014, 03:08 PM
Last movie I saw in a theater was The Passion of the Christ.... when was that, 2004? Only reason I went then was because I had a date with a super hot chick and an excuse to be alone in the dark was just what the doctor ordered. Before that? I can't remember. I might have seen a movie in a theater in 2001 or so.

If they want to get me in a theater they're going to have to do something compelling, like making a sequel to The Matrix. Too bad they never did.

I love movies, even the sequel to the matrix, but man... Fast and Furious? Yeesh. Pass on that one.

KingNothing
08-23-2014, 03:09 PM
Last movie I went to see was Guardians of the Galaxy, which was awesome. I typically prefer "fringe" type movies where the main characters are on the wrong side of the law...

Yeah, do you see a bit of yourself in those cinematic heroes??

Anti Federalist
08-23-2014, 03:09 PM

Now see, I saw the trailer for that, and took it for what I take most "action" movies have become:

Two and half hour, over CGIed, non interactive video games.

Anti Federalist
08-23-2014, 03:11 PM
Yeah, do you see a bit of yourself in those cinematic heroes??

Thus has always been the point of heroic storytelling, whether word of mouth or written.

muh_roads
08-23-2014, 03:18 PM
According to Universal Pictures, Danks' pirated upload was downloaded nearly 780,000 times, which the studio claimed resulted in a loss of about £2.5 million, or about 4.1 million in US dollars.

That's a huge steaming pile of bullshit. With a 100% margin of error.

TheTexan
08-23-2014, 03:30 PM
Man lands in jail for using phone to pirate movie at the theater

Break the law, go to jail. Very simple.

It can be argued that it's a dumb law... in which case, vote to the change the law. Also very simple.

I love this system, everything just works itself out peacefully, and we all get along, even if a minority of people vehemently disagree with the law. Some people go to jail and get their lives ruined, but Hollywood gets to keep making quality pieces of entertainment. It all just works out so beautifully.

CPUd
08-23-2014, 03:50 PM
There used to be some good cammers back in the day, but now anyone with a phone thinks they can do it. In the US, there are people who sometimes walk through during the movie and use night vision or something to find people filming. The bootlegs today come out of China or Russia. They capture the video (one way or another) directly from the projection booth. A few days later, someone in the US gets line audio by plugging into drive-in speakers, or theaters that are equipped for hearing-impaired. They are not always the exact same cut, so sometimes you can see where certain scenes were cut from one version.

Philhelm
08-23-2014, 04:56 PM
Almost three years for recording something with a phone. Isn't that roughly the same sentence received by the cop who executed Oscar Grant in Oakland, CA?