PDA

View Full Version : SWAT Team Surrounds Man Carrying Umbrella on California Campus

SeanTX
08-23-2014, 10:15 AM
http://www.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Cal_State_San_Marcos_lockdown_Bill_Craig_140860145 9498_7477801_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

http://www.10news.com/news/cal-state-san-marcos-on-lockdown-search-for-possible-gunman

Man who prompted Cal State San Marcos lockdown talks to 10News
10News Digital Team , Preston Phillips
9:20 AM, Aug 20, 2014
11:25 PM, Aug 20, 2014

SAN MARCOS, Calif. - There were terrifying moments for people on the campus of Cal State San Marcos on Wednesday morning as the university was stormed by law enforcement and temporarily placed on lockdown for more than 30 minutes after reports of a suspicious person armed with a gun on campus.

It turns out, it was only an umbrella. Late Wednesday, 10News spoke with Bill Craig, who has been a staff member at the university for 17 years. He was walking with his umbrella on campus that morning because of the rain.

Little did he know that by the time he got back to his office, his umbrella would have been mistaken for a rifle and lead to a campus-wide lockdown. Craig was held at gunpoint by sheriff's deputies during the lockdown.

snip

At that same time, classrooms began sheltering in place.

"They immediately … the doors locked and then they took all the chairs and all the tables and barricaded the doors," said junior James Collins. "People were kind of freaked out and you could tell that there was a nervous tension."

That rifle someone thought they saw was nothing more than a long black umbrella, as seen in a photo Craig later posted on his Facebook page.

The lockdown was lifted at about 9:35 a.m., about half an hour after the initial report.

Craig was joking about it online, even posting a meme that reads, "I don't always bring an umbrella to work, but when I do, I get cuffed."

snip

Dr.3D
08-23-2014, 10:19 AM
Obviously if he had been wearing a bowler, the umbrella wouldn't have been a problem.

Cleaner44
08-23-2014, 10:35 AM
Obviously if he had been wearing a bowler, the umbrella wouldn't have been a problem.

Old time terrorist in full battle gear:

Dr.3D
08-23-2014, 10:48 AM
Old time terrorist in full battle gear:
That's a pretty pathetic brolly he has. Looks more like a cane.

phill4paul
08-23-2014, 11:04 AM
Why do I even care to help facilitate change these days? Will someone please tell me why I should? Is it really even worth it at this point? Is it not better to just cash in and go off grid and say "the hell with it."

TheTexan
08-23-2014, 11:15 AM
It's kind of silly, but not the cops fault that a civilian mistook a non-gun object for a gun. Civilians think objects are guns all the time, umbrellas, power drills, etc.

sparebulb
08-23-2014, 11:16 AM
http://www.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Cal_State_San_Marcos_lockdown_Bill_Craig_140860145 9498_7477801_ver1.0_640_480.jpg
Craig was joking about it online, even posting a meme that reads, "I don't always bring an umbrella to work, but when I do, I get cuffed."

If Bill Craig places such little value on his life and dignity, it is really hard for me to think that this is anything other than a California university fucktard that almost got eaten by the beast that he probably helped to create. I will not waste any sympathy or elevate my blood pressure for this dumb bastard.

youngbuck
08-23-2014, 11:17 AM
Why do I even care to help facilitate change these days? Will someone please tell me why I should? Is it really even worth it at this point? Is it not better to just cash in and go off grid and say "the hell with it."

Seriously, the weakness and nervousness that compels the common person to speed-dial the cops in instances like this sickens me. That man could've ended up dead because of the foolishness of this busybody. Imagine some "officer" yelling at him from 50 yards away. He can't understand the words, only hears yelling. Unfortunately, as he turns toward the voice, he is holding the umbrella horizontally...Volley fire from 8 pigs proceeds to cut him down. People are regularly killed by cops for less.

presence
08-23-2014, 11:20 AM
If we had a 2nd Amendment this wouldn't have been an issue.

thoughtomator
08-23-2014, 11:21 AM
It's kind of silly, but not the cops fault that a civilian mistook a non-gun object for a gun. Civilians think objects are guns all the time, umbrellas, power drills, etc.

One possibility is that this is the new "bomb scare" used to get students out of tests they're about to fail.

thoughtomator
08-23-2014, 11:22 AM
Seriously, the weakness and nervousness that compels the common person to speed-dial the cops in instances like this sickens me. That man could've ended up dead because of the foolishness of this busybody. Imagine some "officer" yelling at him from 50 yards away. He can't understand the words, only hears yelling. Unfortunately, as he turns toward the voice, he is holding the umbrella horizontally...Volley fire from 8 pigs proceeds to cut him down. People are regularly killed by cops for less.

I'll give you 3-1 odds that the caller was a female or gay male of the left-side political persuasion.

phill4paul
08-23-2014, 11:29 AM

Yup. It has happened.

Cops Kill Elderly Man Reaching For His Cane :http://www.tytnetwork.com/2014/03/02/cops-kill-elderly-man-reaching-cane/

And i'm starting to get a serious case of "Fu*k it all."

pcosmar
08-23-2014, 11:38 AM
I'll give you 3-1 odds that the caller was a female or gay male of the left-side political persuasion.

Could have been a straight male of the wussy variety.

What strikes me,, is the massive incompetence of those that responded to this.

It tells me just how easy it would be to bait the dumb bastards into an ambush. And drop the bunch of them in seconds.

Cleaner44
08-23-2014, 11:40 AM

Modern day warrior:

Cleaner44
08-23-2014, 11:42 AM

Assault brolly:

thoughtomator
08-23-2014, 11:45 AM
What strikes me,, is the massive incompetence of those that responded to this.

It tells me just how easy it would be to bait the dumb bastards into an ambush. And drop the bunch of them in seconds.

It's already been years now that people having been calling SWAT raids on people they don't like, hoping someone will get killed. It's even got its own Wiki article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swatting

pcosmar
08-23-2014, 11:55 AM
It's already been years now that people having been calling SWAT raids on people they don't like, hoping someone will get killed. It's even got its own Wiki article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swatting

Gotta wonder what would happen to them if they met a team that was prepared and expecting them.

I give them 10 seconds..
cuz I'm generous.

SeanTX
08-23-2014, 11:58 AM
Here's the worst idea for an umbrella ever. This pic would make for a great "no hesitation" target though -- a kid, carrying an object that vaguely resembles a rifle ? Mag dump time ! Deputy Gelhaus would put 8 shots in him before the kid could even turn around to face him.

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/445472196/Wholesale-and-Drop-Shipping-2011-Lastest-Cool-Umbrella-Rifle-Umbrella-for-kids-version-Gun-Umbrella-Comes.jpg

XNavyNuke
08-23-2014, 12:26 PM

Idiots mistakes non-gun object for guns. Nothing special about "civilians". The Keystones are killing wethers all the time because they mistake a potential ram as being armed and therefore a deadly threat to their persons.

XNN

jkr
08-23-2014, 12:30 PM
ARRESTED
FOR AN
UMBRELLA
BY GUYS
WITH GUNS!

so to answer the question "how stupid do you think we are"...

pcosmar
08-23-2014, 12:37 PM
so to answer the question "how stupid do you think we are"...[/B]

I don't see the lawfully armed and capable populace doing anything about it.

I am a prohibited person. I own no such weapons as the 2nd amendment recommends.

When I see folks who are armed step up to the plate,, I'll arm myself and join ya.

otherone
08-23-2014, 01:28 PM
http://beforeitsnews.com/contributor/upload/30080/images/fullretard.jpg

tod evans
08-23-2014, 01:38 PM
The Tee-Vee has had the desired effect on Boobus...

Boogity-boogity...

dannno
08-23-2014, 02:02 PM
Terrorist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8p7hshyu_E

TheTexan
08-23-2014, 02:04 PM
To be fair, he does kind of look like a right wing extremist.

Anti Federalist
08-23-2014, 02:10 PM
There were terrifying moments for people on the campus of Cal State San Marcos on Wednesday morning as the university was stormed by law enforcement and temporarily placed on lockdown for more than 30 minutes after reports of a suspicious person armed with a gun on campus.

Terrorized by whom?

The middle aged, bald guy with an umbrella?

Or squad of hut hutting assholes waving rifles around?

Anti Federalist
08-23-2014, 02:11 PM

Officer safety was ensured.

Anti Federalist
08-23-2014, 02:13 PM

"What could you do but find the humor in it, otherwise it was just going to ruin my day, ruin my faith in humanity," he said.

Craig says over the 17 years he has worked at Cal State San Marcos, he has been through several active shooter drills.

He says law enforcement on Wednesday handled the situation professionally.

That's Boobus...that's your fellow AmeriKunts.

Know them well.

SeanTX
08-23-2014, 02:20 PM
It looks like the one in the cute pink shirt and cargo shorts has his finger on the trigger, while aiming at .... ? The one to the left of him seems to be aiming right at whoever snapped the picture.

You'd think they'd have one or two holding umbrella guy at gunpoint, while the others form a perimeter to defend against other potential umbrella wielders. A small militia team could eat these guys for lunch.

They're so used to going up against soft targets and having people just roll over for them that they wouldn't know what to do if they faced the least bit of real opposition. Kind of like the ones in Ferguson, who cracked and seemed to develop full-blown PTSD over having a few rocks and water bottles tossed at them.

Dr.3D
08-23-2014, 02:24 PM
Judging from how wet the pavement looks in that picture, the man was justified to have that umbrella.

presence
08-23-2014, 04:14 PM
http://i.imgur.com/eGz4nzh.jpg

RED = ???
BLUE = ???
GREEN = ???

TheTexan
08-23-2014, 04:20 PM
Judging from how wet the pavement looks in that picture, the man was justified to have that umbrella.

Even so, he was probably carrying it in a menacing and/or threatening matter.

Dr.3D
08-23-2014, 04:21 PM
Even so, he was probably carrying it in a menacing and/or threatening matter.
Yeah, I'll give ya that. He could have popped it open at anytime.

TheTexan
08-23-2014, 04:34 PM
I would bet a great deal of money that the umbrella was black. The non-gun-object being black seems to be a common denominator in being mistaken for a gun. The simple solution here seems to be just to ban black objects? It would prevent these kinds of mistakes from happening.

Dr.3D
08-23-2014, 04:37 PM
I would bet a great deal of money that the umbrella was black. The non-gun-object being black seems to be a common denominator in being mistaken for a gun. The simple solution here seems to be just to ban black objects? It would prevent these kinds of mistakes from happening.
So should people who carry a pistol, paint their pistol orange?

TheTexan
08-23-2014, 04:38 PM
So should people who carry a pistol, paint their pistol orange?

No, no, no, that would just confuse people. Most pistols are black already; we should put a law in place to make sure all pistols are black, and all non-guns are not black. Should be fairly straight-forward I think.

Unless of course you're proposing that all guns should be painted orange, and we instead ban all orange non-gun objects. Which I can kinda of understand the pro's/con's to that approach as well.

Dr.3D
08-23-2014, 04:40 PM
No, no, no, that would just confuse people. Most pistols are black already; we should put a law in place to make sure all pistols are black, and all non-guns are not black. Should be fairly straight-forward I think.

Unless of course you're proposing that all guns should be painted orange, and we instead ban all orange non-gun objects. Which I can kinda of understand the pro's/con's to that approach as well.
Then criminals would paint their pistols some other color than black.

TheTexan
08-23-2014, 04:42 PM
Then criminals would paint their pistols some other color than black.

No they wouldn't. That would be illegal.

JK/SEA
08-23-2014, 04:44 PM
hate to say this, but because of current events with cops, if that SWAT guy pointing that gun at the perp had killed this guy, i do believe Mr. umbrella man would be martyr of the week...and not a fuck would be given......maybe.

Dr.3D
08-23-2014, 04:45 PM
No they wouldn't. That would be illegal.
Oh yeah, I forgot, criminals don't do things that are illegal.

pcosmar
08-23-2014, 04:52 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAKG-kbKeIo

Philhelm
08-23-2014, 04:59 PM
Assault brolly:

It's the nylon thing that goes up.

bunklocoempire
08-23-2014, 05:08 PM
It looks like the one in the cute pink shirt and cargo shorts has his finger on the trigger, while aiming at .... ? The one to the left of him seems to be aiming right at whoever snapped the picture.

You'd think they'd have one or two holding umbrella guy at gunpoint, while the others form a perimeter to defend against other potential umbrella wielders. A small militia team could eat these guys for lunch.

They're so used to going up against soft targets and having people just roll over for them that they wouldn't know what to do if they faced the least bit of real opposition. Kind of like the ones in Ferguson, who cracked and seemed to develop full-blown PTSD over having a few rocks and water bottles tossed at them.
F*** those dangerous idiots.

Man I get sick of typing this:

1. All guns are always loaded

2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy

3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target

4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it

alucard13mm
08-23-2014, 05:19 PM

I am not surprised if it was.. since it is also in California.

SeanTX
08-23-2014, 05:26 PM

Those rules don't apply to the King's men in magic costumes who possess qualified immunity .

Those rules are for the mundanes/peasants -- and if they violate those rules they can and will be held criminally and civilly liable.

green73
08-23-2014, 05:43 PM

Are you sure about those odds?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTOoYxOf92s

sparebulb
08-23-2014, 06:02 PM

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7RWvYlUsJg73Bp_biC393t-rOt9mDDvpV_3168mJanmEaBE7S

"If in doubt, shoot first then ask questions later. I would sooner accept a few casualties through accidents rather losing the entire base and its personnel through carelessness" Brig Gen Jack D. Ripper

orenbus
08-23-2014, 06:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UwCsf4fHIg

Anti Federalist
08-23-2014, 06:53 PM
hate to say this, but because of current events with cops, if that SWAT guy pointing that gun at the perp had killed this guy, i do believe Mr. umbrella man would be martyr of the week...and not a fuck would be given......maybe.

He has no idea how close he came to dying today.

otherone
08-23-2014, 07:12 PM
He has no idea how close he came to dying today.

most of us don't.

JK/SEA
08-23-2014, 09:01 PM
most of us don't.what are the odds of getting hit by lighning versus doing the 'bang ur dead' with a cop?

LibForestPaul
08-23-2014, 09:15 PM

It is what succeeds this system and these future generations that you need to place a value upon (whatever that may be to you). The current system and current generations are useless and have no value.

LibForestPaul
08-23-2014, 09:20 PM

He was belligerent and lunged toward the peace officers. Apparently, he was taking pain medication for arthritis and was known to drink wine with meals. This poor choice, of mixing narcotics, may have caused momentary confusion which lead to this mans demise.

see how easy that was...

thoughtomator
08-23-2014, 10:00 PM
Are you sure about those odds?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTOoYxOf92s

Yeah, that kid is a ***, or at the very minimum totally emasculated by feminism. Gets hysterically emotional, can't throw a punch to save his life... is there anything about his behavior that says "manly"? That is a womanly display if I ever saw one.

Odds I was really thinking were more like 100-1, but I figured at 3-1 I'd get some sucker to actually take the bet and make a few bucks off their foolishness.

Working Poor
08-23-2014, 10:11 PM
If Bill Craig places such little value on his life and dignity, it is really hard for me to think that this is anything other than a California university fucktard that almost got eaten by the beast that he probably helped to create. I will not waste any sympathy or elevate my blood pressure for this dumb bastard.

+rep

nobody's_hero
08-24-2014, 06:18 AM
He's just lucky they didn't mistake the umbrella for a puppy dog.

Occam's Banana
08-24-2014, 07:01 AM

John Steed does not agree ...

http://www.tvacres.com/images/weapon_avengers_steed2.jpg

tangent4ronpaul
08-24-2014, 07:46 AM
what are the odds of getting hit by lighning versus doing the 'bang ur dead' with a cop?

http://discovertheodds.com/what-are-the-odds-of-being-struck-by-lightning/
1 in a million, but it varies by state.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/americans-killed-cops-outnumber-americans-killed-iraq-war/
500 civilians are killed a year by cops, so your odds are about 1 in 600,000

However, only 1 in 10 struck by lightning die, so you are much much more likely to die by cop than die by lightning.

-t

PaulConventionWV
08-24-2014, 07:46 AM

Judging by the photo, they basically formed a circular firing squad around the guy with guns pointed every which way. They obviously have no idea what they're really doing.

PaulConventionWV
08-24-2014, 07:50 AM

Pass a law to make all guns black and then pass another law to ban them.

Simple solution.

PaulConventionWV
08-24-2014, 07:53 AM

It's interesting that you noticed that, since "current events" obviously sparked that observation. And yes, it's different when the guy is dead, obviously.

Also, "perp" means perpetrator. What was he perpetrating again?

acptulsa
08-24-2014, 08:19 AM
That wasn't an umbrella. That was a Group Pepper Spray Defensive Armored Shield, obviously carried for the purpose of helping him and several of his fellow malcontents avoid the necessity of compliance.

I believe Conspiracy to Avoid Compliance is a felony in California these days...